Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

35 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

2 more 4* WRs hit the portal since the bowl games. Looks like business is starting to pick up. Also a Clemson 4 star TE but we are good there.

Darryl Jones Darryl Jones  WR, 4 star, 0.8958,

Maryland

I clicked on Rice’s link. Apparently he is the son of Jerry Rice. 

• Like 1

I'm lean towards optimistic but if we get Calzada instead of a guy like Williams it doesn't seem like a win to me. He does not impress me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm lean towards optimistic but if we get Calzada instead of a guy like Williams it doesn't seem like a win to me. He does not impress me.

It would be very hard to spin Calzada as better than Nix so i would agree with you there. Would look like a downgrade at the QB position. 

Calzada would tell me that Harsin took the best QB that he could get no matter who that QB was. Finley was the same deal IMO. What we had wasn't good enough, so he did what he could to add something to the room. And that guy ended up QB2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Calzada would tell me that Harsin took the best QB that he could get no matter who that QB was. Finley was the same deal IMO. What we had wasn't good enough, so he did what he could to add something to the room. And that guy ended up QB2.

...So you wouldn't think that if Williams or Gabriel were the guy we got? :poke:

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

John Rys Plumlee- isn’t he available?  Is he good?  Why not?

He is a very good athlete but not a good enough passer to start in the SEC, imo. Good kid, good baseball player, good football player but not at the QB position for this level competition 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

...So you wouldn't think that if Williams or Gabriel were the guy we got? :poke:

I don't understand the poking reference.

If Harsin went out and got a program-changing QB, then no, that doesn't tell me he was going to take a QB no matter what. It tells me that he saw an opportunity to get a really good QB and took a shot, whether we *needed* a QB or not. 

If we take a guy who, like Calzada, inspires a legitimate "Is he or isn't he better than TJ Finley" conversation, then it's clear that we felt like we *needed* a body at the position, period. 

It's very common in recruiting. "We'll take another <insert position here> if we can get that 5* kid, but if not then we'll use that spot for another <insert different position here> or save it for the next cycle."

Hope that helps. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I don't understand the poking reference.

If Harsin went out and got a program-changing QB, then no, that doesn't tell me he was going to take a QB no matter what. It tells me that he saw an opportunity to get a really good QB and took a shot, whether we *needed* a QB or not. 

If we take a guy who, like Calzada, inspires a legitimate "Is he or isn't he better than TJ Finley" conversation, then it's clear that we felt like we *needed* a body at the position, period. 

It's very common in recruiting. "We'll take another <insert position here> if we can get that 5* kid, but if not then we'll use that spot for another <insert different position here> or save it for the next cycle."

Hope that helps. 

Oh, that was just an indication that I was messing with you, rather than being serious. I didn't think about it from the perspective you just laid out, so my apologies, but I feel pretty confident he's going to get the best QB he can get, period, unless there just isn't one out there who might be able to help that is willing to come to Auburn (a situation I do not foresee coming to fruition).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Oh, that was just an indication that I was messing with you, rather than being serious. I didn't think about it from the perspective you just laid out, so my apologies, but I feel pretty confident he's going to get the best QB he can get, period, unless there just isn't one out there who might be able to help that is willing to come to Auburn (a situation I do not foresee coming to fruition).

Yeah, I think that's the case and my post was probably kind of dumb- or redundant at best- as I think we all agree that we're going to get *somebody*. 

I guess I'm anticipating, should we sign a guy who is decidedly less exciting than Williams, a lot of "Well why did we bother signing that guy". You know how it goes.

Appreciate the generous explanation, sir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

John Rys Plumlee- isn’t he available?  Is he good?  Why not?

He didn’t even get tapped when Corral went down in the Sugar Bowl, the true freshman did. His days of playing QB for a div 1 football team may be over.

• Like 2

Plumlee is a great athlete. Would love to have him if available. 3rd down back or slot receiver and baseball player.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I think that's the case and my post was probably kind of dumb- or redundant at best- as I think we all agree that we're going to get *somebody*. 

I guess I'm anticipating, should we sign a guy who is decidedly less exciting than Williams, a lot of "Well why did we bother signing that guy". You know how it goes.

Appreciate the generous explanation, sir.

It's already happening on this board. I've seen some posters irritated bc Harsin didn't go hard enough after the best QBs, and can't figure out why they wouldn't want to play for AUburn, so we are settling for a guy like Calzada.

If true it sounds like with the NIL rumors we HAVE tried to use the best tools available to get over the hump on some of these best transfer QBs.

I just figure it's would be a couple of reasons why we didn't get guys Like CW or Gabriel. They have another good connection somewhere else or they've looked at who will be playing around them, and we can't offer them 1st Round protection at OL, or 1st round  WRs to catch the ball...

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Looks like they upped him to a 4* now on the portal. Could be a good one.

O'Cyrus Torrence O'Cyrus Torrence 4 Star, 0.9100, OLImmediate
Louisiana

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Man o man if Trevon continues to do work. Would think he’s solidifying himself into a bigger role

21 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Soooooo any notable WRs in the portal? Looks like we need a couple….

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32994000/oklahoma-sooners-freshman-wide-receiver-mario-williams-announces-intention-enter-transfer-portal

Oklahoma WR Mario Williams in the portal now

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I just saw that. Yes please! 

11 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

It would be great to get him and Caleb Williams an Elite QB with an Elite WR who already know each others game.

• Like 1

I’m going to be honest, ESD still has me restless. I’m ready to see some more movement on nabbing up some transfer portal guys. They won’t last long. Doesn’t spring semester start like now or next week? I would imagine a lot of guys would like to get where they are going by then or by summer.