Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

I keep hearing that Olinemen won’t come here because of all the returning guys Auburn has.  I have to believe half these portal guys arent just as good if not better and playing time wouldn’t be a problem for them?

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I keep hearing that Olinemen won’t come here because of all the returning guys Auburn has.  I have to believe half these portal guys arent just as good if not better and playing time wouldn’t be a problem for them?

If these portal OL guys are scared to compete with what we have returning..... Can't believe I actually typed that... but if they are we don't want them

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If these portal OL guys are scared to compete with what we have returning..... Can't believe I actually typed that... but if they are we don't want them

I really believe the flood gates will open next year when Auburn brings in 5 freshmen OL and there are 3-4 immediate openings available.

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I really believe the flood gates will open next year when Auburn brings in 5 freshmen OL and there are 3-4 immediate openings available.

Auburn brings in 5 freshmen to fill the 3-4 immediate openings on the line and will have an SEC gauntlet to navigate.  Yikes! 🤢

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn brings in 5 freshmen to fill the 3-4 immediate openings on the line and will have an SEC gauntlet to navigate.  Yikes! 🤢

I’m talking bringing in 3-4 veteran guys in addition to 5 freshmen.  Auburn probably will have a freshman starting somewhere on the line in 2023.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I’m talking bringing in 3-4 veteran guys in addition to 5 freshmen.  Auburn probably will have a freshman starting somewhere on the line in 2023.

I highly doubt that last part.  Honestly, Zierer/Wright/Jones are all potential starters that could return next year.  We should have at least 1 OL starter from the portal.  

I also don't buy the whole "Scared to compete".  The timing doesn't really add up.  Most of the 6th/7th year Srs didn't commit to play again until we missed on a lot of our targetss

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I highly doubt that last part.  Honestly, Zierer/Wright/Jones are all potential starters that could return next year.  We should have at least 1 OL starter from the portal.  

I also don't buy the whole "Scared to compete".  The timing doesn't really add up.  Most of the 6th/7th year Srs didn't commit to play again until we missed on a lot of our targetss

I just hope those guys are smart and leave with a PHD on Auburn's dime.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Bring in one or two guys this summer (multiple years left) and get them ready to compete for next year. 5 HS in this class. Then 2-3 more portal guys next winter. Winter wave seems to have more instant impact guys. Hope you get a starting 5 out of Langlo, Wright, Smith, and Harris and those 4-5 portal guys. Can't count on the career backup group of Irvin, Jernigan, etc and the '23 HS class. Anything from them would be gravy

14 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hope you get a starting 5 out of Langlo, Wright, Smith, and Harris and those 4-5 portal guys.

Keiondre Jones is a real RS Jr. He's our best OL but I'm not sure he's a lock to go to the NFL. Good chance he comes back for his 5th season.

Zierer has a covid year available to him. Unless he's a mid to high draft pick he's coming back. He's really new to football. 

That said. Both of those guys get hype as draft picks, should mean we had a decent year and will help bring in portal guys

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I just hope those guys are smart and leave with a PHD on Auburn's dime.  

One of them is a pilot with a job waiting as I understand it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Keiondre Jones is a real RS Jr. He's our best OL but I'm not sure he's a lock to go to the NFL. Good chance he comes back for his 5th season.

Zierer has a covid year available to him. Unless he's a mid to high draft pick he's coming back. He's really new to football. 

That said. Both of those guys get hype as draft picks, should mean we had a decent year and will help bring in portal guys

Would feel a lot better if they come back

20 hours ago, au302 said:

Bring in one or two guys this summer (multiple years left) and get them ready to compete for next year. 5 HS in this class. Then 2-3 more portal guys next winter. Winter wave seems to have more instant impact guys. Hope you get a starting 5 out of Langlo, Wright, Smith, and Harris and those 4-5 portal guys. Can't count on the career backup group of Irvin, Jernigan, etc and the '23 HS class. Anything from them would be gravy

Your plan sounds great. It won't be easy to implement, but I'm on board with the plan!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Highly-touted JUCO WR Malik Benson adds Auburn in top schools

Cole Pinkstonabout 4 hours
Malik Benson 1200x630 (Courtesy of Hutchinson C.C.)

The 2023 class is in full-swing while the transfer portal is hot and heavy yet again. Don’t forget, there are plenty of JUCO prospects out there as well. Auburn identified JUCO WR Malik Benson back in late February. Most of his top schools seemed to find him around that same time period. 

After continuing to recruit him for a few months, the Tigers are still squarely in the mix as they made his top-11.

The Benson File

Benson is a 6-foot-1 175-pound WR from Lansing, Kansas. He attends Hutchinson Community College. Auburn recently landed Safety Marquise Gilbert from the same school. As a freshman, Benson recorded 43 catches for 1,229 yards, and 11 touchdowns. He is a deep threat receiver who has a knack for making plays after the catch.

Auburn made his top group along with Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Florida State.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:20 PM, Win4AU said:

OL is a bit different because there are multiple spots, making it less of an issue. But I have to believe portal guys don’t want to go anywhere where there are decent, experienced players to compete with. It’s a huge decision where you are going into a new program and trying to take a job on short notice. You want to be almost certain you are going to start at your destination-school.

Position depth would definitely be a deterrent for me in choosing a school unless I was a bonafide stud. Some are. But most transfers aren’t. 

• Like 1

Pretty much all the spring games are over.  less than 2 weeks for kids to get their names entered into the transfer portal. 

Hopefully we get some pick up of names and quality players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We've had a hard enough time getting Coffey close to 300. I wonder how well he adds good weight.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

We've had a hard enough time getting Coffey close to 300. I wonder how well he adds good weight.

Apparently got covid, lost 40#, then moved to defense.  Probs not the best sign, but we can't be picky right now

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently got covid, lost 40#, then moved to defense.  Probs not the best sign, but we can't be picky right now

With Covid year Miller still has 4 years.  A year putting on muscle mass and he might be able to help us in 2023.  With less than 2 weeks till May 1st I just don't expect  a lot of quality Portal O-Linemen. I think we have to live with what we have for this year but getting somebody like him who we might be able to develop would be nice but we would still need 2 Portal and a whole bunch of HS O-line in 2023 class. I really hope Zierer stays one more year as I think we will be pleasantly surprised on how good he will be this year. I am also hoping two see minimum of 2 underclassmen win starting jobs this year but would prefer 3. This summer and Fall will go a long way to determining what kind of O-line we will have this year and maybe what players could help in 2023 once super seniors are gone.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With Covid year Miller still has 4 years. 

Who?

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think we have to live with what we have for this year but getting somebody like him who we might be able to develop would be nice but we would still need 2 Portal and a whole bunch of HS O-line in 2023 class

We probably need to take 2 portal guys who we can put on a development plan for '23.  Then I agree with the rest 4 or 5 HS OL.  Then 2 more starters in the portal next year.  I'd love the coaches to somehow convince Webb to sit a year and be our starting C next year (or pray for a waiver)

25 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I really hope Zierer stays one more year as I think we will be pleasantly surprised on how good he will be this year. I am also hoping two see minimum of 2 underclassmen win starting jobs this year but would prefer 3.

If we could get Zierer playing draftable level OT and have a good season, it'll go a long ways helping us get more transfers...but I'm not sure he'd be NFL ready.  that would be a pretty big jump and he hasn't played much football.  Keondre Jones is borderline, but I don't think he's a lock to the NFL yet.  Pray J Wright takes over for Council and all of a sudden we have 3 OL coming back 

4 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Any chance we look at Eric Shaw? South Caroline transfer WR, from Notasulga. We could use a big bodied WR. 6-4

South Carolina listed him as a TE 6-5 212