Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

I'd prefer it if he wasn't tiny, but he's a proven WR and had nearly 1,000 yards the year before last.

Jlee says Bub Means visiting. Also in heavy pursuit of Calzada's old teammate Chapman. Some smoke on LJ Arnold, Kansas receiver transfer, as well but that ones way early right now 

12 hours ago, au302 said:

Jlee says Bub Means visiting. Also in heavy pursuit of Calzada's old teammate Chapman. Some smoke on LJ Arnold, Kansas receiver transfer, as well but that ones way early right now 

Means is transferring from Louisiana Tech where he had 23 receptions for 442 yards and two touchdowns in 2021. He sat out the 2020 season after transferring from Tennessee. Means signed with the Vols in 2019 out of Lovejoy High in Hampton, Ga.

Jeffrey Lee 

• Thanks 2

Our WR options are interesting.  

Big Body

La Tech Kid Means is 6'2 and was been Okay-ish.  For a big guy seemed like he had 2-3 catches, but a long of 40+ most games.
Chapman is never healthy.  Like ever.  But when he isn't he performs pretty well.  He's a boom or bust guy.

Small WR

UCF kid Jaylen Robinson is probably the most accomplished guy but he's 5'9" and we seem to have tiny fast WR aplenty.
Utah TrFr Ryan Peppins.  He went through Spring at Utah.  he's another tiny guy.  I'm not sure we really need a TrFr with all the other ones we have.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only immediate contributors we could bring in would be JUCO's and Grad Transfers. Or is the February deadline only limited to intra-conference transfers?

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only immediate contributors we could bring in would be JUCO's and Grad Transfers. Or is the February deadline only limited to intra-conference transfers?

From what I've read, gotta enter by May 1 for non-SEC transfers. Gotta enroll by June 1. FCS and Grads just gotta enroll by the schools fall deadline. SEC was Feb. 1 as has been discussed.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Ohio State Transfer, one to keep an eye on.

https://247sports.com/player/jacolbe-cowan-46036315/ 

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/casey-rogers/43863

Love it. On3 saying we offered this guy too. I'd be glad with either. We got quality DL starters, but need more depth. Both these guys seem like they'd fill that. Plus Quis coming back

Rodgers was a bigtime hs athlete.  He was heavily recruited to Syracuse as a lacrosse player but wanted to pursue football instead.  Big kid, multi sport athlete, moves well…..and apparently a first class individual.  Would defin want for depth.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Renton26 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccsb1fgLvc3/

Bub Means committed to Pitt last night.

To be honest based on his production he would not have been much if any of an upgrade.

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

To be honest based on his production he would not have been much if any of an upgrade.

Disagree. Solid big-bodied possession guy, which we need. He's not going to be a WR1 talent, but how many portal guys are? Right now, unfortunately, we seem to be in portal hell. Withholding final judgment until June. If we land 2/3 of Chapman, Arnold, and Pearsal this will be long forgotten.... but we need to land some dudes soon, lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Disagree. Solid big-bodied possession guy, which we need. He's not going to be a WR1 talent, but how many portal guys are? Right now, unfortunately, we seem to be in portal hell. Withholding final judgment until June. If we land 2/3 of Chapman, Arnold, and Pearsal this will be long forgotten.... but we need to land some dudes soon, lol

With Landon King, Capers, and Omari Kelly I think we will be fine with big body receivers. I grant none of those three have proven they are Elite bit I think all 3 have more upside then Bub Means.  I expect Capers and King to be effective this year but will take Omari longer to have an impact because we now run a more sophisticated passing tree. Capers and King have both had a year in the the offense where Bub Means would have been starting over in a new Offense.

I am not debating based on last year performance and players that left that WR is an area of weakness as it is, but unless we can find an Elite WR in the Portal there is no reason to bring in a so so WR.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With Landon King, Capers, and Omari Kelly I think we will be fine with big body receivers. I grant none of those three have proven they are Elite bit I think all 3 have more upside then Bub Means.  I expect Capers and KIng to be effective this year but will take Omari longer to have an impact because we now run a more sophisticated passing tree. Capers and King have both had a year in the the offense where Bub Means would have been starting over in a new Offense.

I am not debating based on last year performance and players that left that WR is an area of weakness as it is, but unless we can find an Elite WR in the Portal there is no reason to bring in a so so WR.

I wished I shared your overall optimism. I like our slot guys. I agree with you on King. Gotta see it with Capers in a real game, and don't want to bank on the freshmen being ready. In terms of who we bring in, I guess my point is that not many, if any, of our options will be proven all-Americans or anything. We're going to have to bring in upside guys like the ones we're after, or just not bring in anyone going by that standard

That doesn't change the fact that we need talent asap. And I'm of the opinion that guys like Means, Chapman, Arnold, etc. are solid to good players that upgrade the room and are still coming into their own. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With Landon King, Capers, and Omari Kelly I think we will be fine with big body receivers. I grant none of those three have proven they are Elite bit I think all 3 have more upside then Bub Means.  I expect Capers and King to be effective this year but will take Omari longer to have an impact because we now run a more sophisticated passing tree. Capers and King have both had a year in the the offense where Bub Means would have been starting over in a new Offense.

No offense, but you're a bit delusional here.

Za'Vian Capers has 13 career receptions for a whopping 131 yards. He couldn't get on the field at all last season, on a team that had below-average WR play. The only reason why he "looks" like he might play this year is for the sheer fact that we actually lost from that group and didn't bring anyone else in (non-Freshmen) so he's getting pushed up the depth chart by default.

The fact that you think that a guy (Means) who put up even "just" 430 yards isn't an upgrade over a bunch of guys we have who have done literally nothing is very confusing. Those 430 yards is more than Capers, King, and Omari Kelly have combined over their entire careers - think about that for a second. What gives you any impression that he has "less upside" than those players you named? Means averaged 19.5 ypc last season and is a legit 4.4 forty guy at 6'2 - he is considerably faster than Capers or King. I don't even understand your point of comparison here; Landon King is a TE/WR tweener - why is he getting lumped into the same category as a deep-threat WR (Means)? Those two aren't anything alike.

Furthermore, Omari Kelly is a true freshman who we know literally nothing about. This isn't someone to bank anything on for this season, nor is he a valid point of argument for failing to land yet ANOTHER transfer portal WR who we quite obviously wanted (hence the offer we gave him and the fact that we booked an official visit with him).

This team's WR room is a mess right now. They drastically need experienced players who have actually shown to be capable of doing ANYTHING on the field. And Bub Means fits into that category. In our WR room, he is literally a ~Top 2-3 WR, and he would have instantly been the best size/speed receiver on the roster. You're talking about a team that ha Shedrick Jackson as it's #1 receiver. No offense, but we're at a point where anyone experienced who can play is drastically needed.

You're speaking as if we have the luxury to wait and only target proven elite players at this position. That makes zero sense. Pittsburgh is much deeper and further developed at WR and in the passing game than we are, and they wanted this kid. Ergo, this is another pretty big miss at a position of serious need.

Bryan Harsin doesn't have the luxury of time or to wait on true Freshman receivers to develop. This team went 6-7 last season, and needs to start winning games this season or he is gone. That means that he needs players who can play today, not ~2 years from now. It also means that he doesn't have the luxury of hoping and praying that a guy like Capers actually develops into anything. He had no interest in playing Capers last season, but now I'm to believe that Capers somehow provides a known impact for 2022?

Edited by metafour

17 minutes ago, au302 said:

I wished I shared your overall optimism. I like our slot guys. I agree with you on King. Gotta see it with Capers in a real game, and don't want to bank on the freshmen being ready. In terms of who we bring in, I guess my point is that not many, if any, of our options will be proven all-Americans or anything. We're going to have to bring in upside guys like the ones we're after, or just not bring in anyone going by that standard

That doesn't change the fact that we need talent asap. And I'm of the opinion that guys like Means, Chapman, Arnold, etc. are solid to good players that upgrade the room and are still coming into their own. 

I don't think we strongly disagree that better talent or current talent needs to step up.  We both see it as a weakness, but as you say I am a little more optimistic about our current talent stepping up.  I agree about the freshman Kelly not being able to help at least not at beginning of the year and probably will need a full year. I just think a second year in the system will do wonders for both King and Capers.  Now I wish I could be more optimistic about O-Line. Unless some of the Younger players beat out some of the 6 Year Seniors I expect us to be a little better than last year but nothing to write home about. Zierer does give me warm and fuzees as I saw improvement in his play last year when he played. He was very solid against our D-Line in A-Day game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

No offense, but you're a bit delusional here.

Za'Vian Capers has 13 career receptions for a whopping 131 yards. He couldn't get on the field at all last season, on a team that had below-average WR play. The only reason why he "looks" like he might play this year is for the sheer fact that we actually lost from that group and didn't bring anyone else in (non-Freshmen) so he's getting pushed up the depth chart by default.

The fact that you think that a guy (Means) who put up even "just" 430 yards isn't an upgrade over a bunch of guys we have who have done literally nothing is very confusing. Those 430 yards is more than Capers, King, and Omari Kelly have combined over their entire careers - think about that for a second. What gives you any impression that he has "less upside" than those players you named? Means averaged 19.5 ypc last season and is a legit 4.4 forty guy at 6'2 - he is considerably faster than Capers or King. I don't even understand your point of comparison here; Landon King is a TE/WR tweener - why is he getting lumped into the same category as a deep-threat WR (Means)? Those two aren't anything alike.

Furthermore, Omari Kelly is a true freshman who we know literally nothing about. This isn't someone to bank anything on for this season, nor is he a valid point of argument for failing to land yet ANOTHER transfer portal WR who we quite obviously wanted (hence the offer we gave him and the fact that we booked an official visit with him).

This team's WR room is a mess right now. They drastically need experienced players who have actually shown to be capable of doing ANYTHING on the field. And Bub Means fits into that category. In our WR room, he is literally a ~Top 2-3 WR, and he would have instantly been the best size/speed receiver on the roster. You're talking about a team that ha Shedrick Jackson as it's #1 receiver. No offense, but we're at a point where anyone experienced who can play is drastically needed.

You're speaking as if we have the luxury to wait and only target proven elite players at this position. That makes zero sense. Pittsburgh is much deeper and further developed at WR and in the passing game than we are, and they wanted this kid. Ergo, this is another pretty big miss at a position of serious need.

Bryan Harsin doesn't have the luxury of time or to wait on true Freshman receivers to develop. This team went 6-7 last season, and needs to start winning games this season or he is gone. That means that he needs players who can play today, not ~2 years from now. It also means that he doesn't have the luxury of hoping and praying that a guy like Capers actually develops into anything. He had no interest in playing Capers last season, but now I'm to believe that Capers somehow provides a known impact for 2022?

Our deep threat is going to come from out little receivers what I think we need most out of big receivers are possession types. With our mix of TE's and King as a tweener and our offense using RB more in passing game. With our O-Line I really don't see us being a deep threat team because it takes to long. I respect your opinion as you have been right a lot but for some reason I think our current receivers will prove to be better then most expect.

Maybe I am being influenced by my Orange and Blue Sunglasses.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

First, none of those guys done anything close to what means did.

Second, we can have more than one WE over 6'

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Our deep threat is going to come from out little receivers what I think we need most out of big receivers are possession types

Means was a WR over 5'8 that consistently stretched the field. We are super thin. We need a WR like him that has actually produced 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Our deep threat is going to come from out little receivers what I think we need most out of big receivers are possession types. With our mix of TE's and King as a tweener and our offense using RB more in passing game. With our O-Line I really don't see us being a deep threat team because it takes to long. I respect your opinion as you have been right a lot but for some reason I think our current receivers will prove to be better then most expect.

Maybe I am being influenced by my Orange and Blue Sunglasses.

We need all types of receivers - that's the whole point. We have basically two guys that have done anything in college - Shedrick Jackson who is unfortunately thrust into the "#1 WR" role, and Ja'Varrius Johnson who is unfortunately really frail and prone to injury.

Everyone else is a "hope they're good" type of situation, or a true freshman.

That's why I find it really delusional to suggest that we "didn't miss out" on ANY transfer portal WR who actually has some level of production and/or physical skills. Means actually signed with Tennessee out of HS, he is a legit 6'2 with ~4.4 speed. We are not in a position where we have room to be choosy or picky, and this is a player that actually has physical talent (hence why Pittsburgh wants him).

As far as the game-plan and how we don't need taller receivers who are vertical threats - did you watch the Bowl Game? Bryan Harsin clearly wants to throw the ball deep, and our offense will unfortunately get clobbered if we can't establish deep threats. That is why he kept throwing deep in that game. Short receivers can not be relied upon to be your team's only deep threats - if you think of all the prominent deep threats at Auburn in recent history (Slayton, Coates, Aromashodu, etc, etc) they were all long/rangy guys with elite speed. Guys that are ~5'9 need to be really special to be consistent deep-threats, there is a reason why guys that short are typically short-area and slot receivers. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, metafour said:

We need all types of receivers - that's the whole point. We have basically two guys that have done anything in college - Shedrick Jackson who is unfortunately thrust into the "#1 WR" role, and Ja'Varrius Johnson who is unfortunately really frail and prone to injury.

That's why I find it really delusional to suggest that we "didn't miss out" on ANY transfer portal WR who actually has some level of production and/or physical skills. Means actually signed with Tennessee out of HS, he is a legit 6'2 with ~4.4 speed. We are not in a position where we have room to be choosy or picky, and this is a player that actually has physical talent (hence why Pittsburgh wants him).

As far as the game-plan and how we don't need taller receivers who are vertical threats - did you watch the Bowl Game? Bryan Harsin clearly wants to throw the ball deep, and our offense will unfortunately get clobbered if we can't establish deep threats. That is why he kept throwing deep in that game. Short receivers can not be relied upon to be your team's only deep threats - if you think of all the prominent deep threats at Auburn in recent history (Slayton, Coates, Aromashodu, etc, etc) they were all long/rangy guys with elite speed. Guys that are ~5'9 need to be really special to be consistent deep-threats, there is a reason why guys that short are typically short-area and slot receivers. 

One of the reasons when I disagree with you  that I like you is you don't get nasty like some instead you come back with clear concise logic that you base your opinion on. You made your case I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, metafour said:

I agree. We need a big possession guy to pair with Shed and another big jump ball deep threat guy. Means can do both. Chapman is a very good deep threat when healthy. I'll say this. I've been really pessimistic, and still am, about the WR room. But I do think filling those two needs makes it a respectable room.

I've seen enough from JJ to know that he's dangerous when healthy. I also believe that MJJ/Fair/Dawson could be dangerous and that even Shed developed into a decent possession guy. Just not an outside threat at all or a WR1. But get Chapman and a possession guy and I'll feel better. Until then not optimistic 

4 stars at positions of need hitting the portal today.

Edited by IronMan70