Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I get we have the slots but I don’t understand why we are spending energy recruiting transfers at arguably our deepest position. Feels like a Gus move just taking the best available.

we only have 3 edge guys I thought?

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I believe Addison is the player in the middle of the tampering “scandal” with Lincoln Riley.

Did Pitt's HC report Riley to the NCAA for tampering?  That should be an easy thing to prove IMO and the NCAA is antsy to nab someone fiddling with the portal & NIL and tampering should get their attention. 

The kid just hit the portal at the last possible moment and now we see he's playing catch with Bryce Young in California. 

Even though:  We have an NFL system, an All-Pro WR as the position coach, and we play in the NFL’s most drafted conference, giving him tape against the best competition.

According to AUght2win. 

50 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

That should be an easy thing to prove IMO and the NCAA is antsy to nab someone fiddling with the portal & NIL and tampering should get their attention. 

How is that an easy thing to prove? It is actually the complete opposite. The coaches can't contact players that aren't in the portal, but there is nothing preventing them from contacting the kid's HS coach for example. In this case the Pitt WR I believe is a friend of USC QB Caleb Williams - it's not hard for the "courting" to go on through those avenues. As far as I'm aware, there are no rules against Caleb Williams calling his buddy up and talking him into entering the portal and transferring to USC.

looks like we may have just gotten a commit form a transfer WR: https://247sports.com/Player/Dazalin-Worsham-46042539/

Harsin just tweeted a commitment tweet 30 minutes ago. Rumors are its this guy.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Didba said:

looks like we may have just gotten a commit form a transfer WR: https://247sports.com/Player/Dazalin-Worsham-46042539/

Harsin just tweeted a commitment tweet 30 minutes ago. Rumors are its this guy.

Tate posting it on the Bunker.

Seems like a good player.

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Did Pitt's HC report Riley to the NCAA for tampering?  That should be an easy thing to prove IMO and the NCAA is antsy to nab someone fiddling with the portal & NIL and tampering should get their attention. 

The kid just hit the portal at the last possible moment and now we see he's playing catch with Bryce Young in California. 

Even though:  We have an NFL system, an All-Pro WR as the position coach, and we play in the NFL’s most drafted conference, giving him tape against the best competition.

According to AUght2win. 

Brice Young must be exempt from final exams since he is in Cali.  I’m sure he’s taking online classes and probably already near graduating from turdville 

8 hours ago, metafour said:

You think that Edge is arguably our deepest position?

It is actually the complete opposite. We have two guys (both Seniors who will be gone next season) in Hall and Leota, and pretty much no one who has done anything behind them. This is a big need because those two guys can't play every snap, and what happens if there is an injury? Guys like Brooks haven't even stepped onto the field yet, that isn't a player to bank on from a production standpoint in this conference.

Harsin can’t afford to worry about anything outside of this year’s team. 

Edge is a two-starter position. The two you mentioned are probably the 2nd and 3rd best players on the team. Wooden can play there too, I believe.

We need OL and WR.

6 hours ago, Didba said:

we only have 3 edge guys I thought?

Three SEC caliber edge guys for a two-starter position.

How many SEC caliber receivers and O-linemen do we have? Both those positions will need more depth than the Edge.

6 hours ago, JerryAU said:

According to AUght2win. 

I don’t know wtf you’re trying to say. Especially since it flies in the face of your unconditional Harsin ass-kissing.

I’m actually saying I think Harsin’s current setup could appeal to a guy with NFL aspirations. 

You’re just being a contrarian ass, I guess.

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

One, you can never have too many pass rushers.
Two, he could be a Super Sr in '23 and in '23 we don't really have a ton of depth in pass rushers.

We're recruiting a handful of players right now.  We have enough time to target areas outside OL/S/WR

If Harsin wants to use those precious transfer spots in depth for 23, he can do so at his own peril. He has to find a way to win 7-8 games to survive past the last week in November. I’d prioritize getting playmakers and blockers for an anemic offense, rather than stack depth behind stud edge rushers.

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How many SEC caliber receivers and O-linemen do we have? Both those positions will need more depth than the Edge.

When Hall and Leota need a breather, or heavens forbid one goes down, Hayden Brice, a walk-on TE converted to EDGE this spring, will likely line up opposite of Brooks if we do not get a guy or two in. It's an extreme emergency. OL sucks but we have bodies. Not good bodies, but guys like Irvin, Coffey, Jernigan, etc 

• Like 1

I think Hars will need to address this year above all else. A good year could put AU in a much better place with transfer portal guys after the season. A good year plus opportunity could equal some big transfers that will be instant impact guys. A team can be remade faster with the transfer portal than it used to be. A good recruiting class and transfer portal success will be helped with a surprise season. Then they actually developed what they have and boom!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, au302 said:

When Hall and Leota need a breather, or heavens forbid one goes down, Hayden Brice, a walk-on TE converted to EDGE this spring, will likely line up opposite of Brooks if we do not get a guy or two in. It's an extreme emergency. OL sucks but we have bodies. Not good bodies, but guys like Irvin, Coffey, Jernigan, etc 

You honestly think they aren’t going to use Wooden and some of the other interior guys at Edge?

Again, the defense may be a house of cards but at least it’s on its feet. The offense does not have SEC caliber starters at several positions. It’s going to be just like last year - solid D but horrible offense - unless we shore up vital areas.

50 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I mean I don't disagree with about needing more WRs and OL but two of those three are gone next year, if you don't take edge guys now that you can, miss on edge guys next year and then all of a sudden you are with edge where we are right now with OL and WR.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Didba said:

I mean I don't disagree with about needing more WRs and OL but two of those three are gone next year, if you don't take edge guys now that you can, miss on edge guys next year and then all of a sudden you are with edge where we are right now with OL and WR.

Harsin will not make it to next year with the current offense, is my point. Worry about next year, next year. He has to pull out all the stops to survive and I just don’t see this offense scoring any points.

If he can do both and bring in edge guys while also bringing in WR/OL, that’s fine. But seems we struggle in the portal as it is, so I would focus all my efforts on offensive guys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

If Harsin wants to use those precious transfer spots in depth for 23, he can do so at his own peril. He has to find a way to win 7-8 games to survive past the last week in November. I’d prioritize getting playmakers and blockers for an anemic offense, rather than stack depth behind stud edge rushers.

We're recruiting a pool of like 20 kids right now.  That's it.  We can focus on positions outside one or two spots.

Yes.  OL is our #1 priority.  There are like 3 or 4 total guys that fit our needs.  Should we do nothing else besides talk to them?  After OL there are 3-4 WRs that fit our needs.

So 8 guys are our priority.  We have 8 slots and needs at DE/DT/S after OL/WR.  We can recruit more than one spot.  Your complaining really makes little sense.  It's not like we are prioritizing DE.  Our staff has plenty of bandwidth to recruit 20-30 kids for 8 spots.

• Thanks 2

We took a WR from Miami last night.

It's wild.  How in the hell were we able to get a commit at WR (1 of our 8 slots needed to fill), when we also offered a DE from Florida.

CRAZY

15 hours ago, metafour said:

How is that an easy thing to prove? It is actually the complete opposite. The coaches can't contact players that aren't in the portal, but there is nothing preventing them from contacting the kid's HS coach for example. In this case the Pitt WR I believe is a friend of USC QB Caleb Williams - it's not hard for the "courting" to go on through those avenues. As far as I'm aware, there are no rules against Caleb Williams calling his buddy up and talking him into entering the portal and transferring to USC.

It was said the Pitt coach has called Riley to report tampering, if that is true then I believe it should be relatively easy to prove to the ncaa.  

It's now rumored USC has a $3million NIL package on the table for the kid. 

Edited by JerryAU

After yesterday, we are now down to six slots remaining in the class of '22. One of those slots is a "use it or lose it" transfer slot. The other five may be used for transfers, normal recruits or held over for class of '23 early enrollees. That's how I have it under the NCAA's rules that existed last time I checked.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

After yesterday, we are now down to six slots remaining in the class of '22. One of those slots is a "use it or lose it" transfer slot. The other five may be used for transfers, normal recruits or held over for class of '23 early enrollees. That's how I have it under the NCAA's rules that existed last time I checked.

I'd be shocked if we can fill all of them.  We haven't been able to really attract anyone besides home sick kids from AL.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It was said the Pitt coach has called Riley to report tampering, if that is true then I believe it should be relatively easy to prove to the ncaa.  

It's now rumored USC has a $3million NIL package on the table for the kid. 

The Pitt coach is just butthurt, but there is no way to prove or report any of this. That's the whole point.

The coaches are OBVIOUSLY tampering - but go ahead and prove it to me (or the NCAA). You're missing the point. You think Riley was dumb enough to send a direct text message to this kid asking him to come to USC? No, the contact would have been orchestrated in such a way that it is legal as per the NCAA "rules".

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

The Pitt coach is just butthurt, but there is no way to prove or report any of this. That's the whole point.

The coaches are OBVIOUSLY tampering - but go ahead and prove it to me (or the NCAA). You're missing the point. You think Riley was dumb enough to send a direct text message to this kid asking him to come to USC? No, the contact would have been orchestrated in such a way that it is legal as per the NCAA "rules".

I got the point, and my statement was more in line with yours.  The Pitt coach claims tampering then prove it to the ncaa or shut up and go on about his business. 

The back channel dealings have always been prevalent and even more so with the free transfer portal + huge NIL packages to offer.  USC needed a top QB and they got him in the portal, they need a top WR and it looks like they are getting him too.  

Honestly if Auburn isn't networking behind the scenes as weak as we are at some positions then I'm really disappointed.  

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd be shocked if we can fill all of them.  We haven't been able to really attract anyone besides home sick kids from AL.

I was thinking the same thing W. We just have to hope it works out better for these guys at Auburn. Three WR's from Hewitt-Trussville.

• Like 1