We beat #8 and #22...

AuburnEagle79

After tonight's CFP rankings, we beat the #8 and #22 teams in the country. OT loss to #3. Beat LSU on the road.

This was such a strange season, especially considering we are in a complete culture change with a swiss cheese roster. 

I'm still mad that we are not 8-4 or 9-3, but looking at this thing from 10,000 feet, there are some things we can build on. 

• Like 8

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

After tonight's CFP rankings, we beat the #8 and #22 teams in the country. OT loss to #3. Beat LSU on the road.

This was such a strange season, especially considering we are in a complete culture change with a swiss cheese roster. 

I'm still mad that we are not 8-4 or 9-3, but looking at this thing from 10,000 feet, there are some things we can build on. 

And if we had our starting qb not get hurt we are likely 9-3 with a win over a bama team that would likely still be ranked in the top 6

8 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Shhh, you'll mess up the narrative of lurkers here that want Harsins head!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

there are some things we can build on

My feelings and opinions have been all over the place this week but the above statement is undeniable IMO. 

• Like 1

We blew three leads in three consecutive weeks. That’s the only thing that matters to me right now. Our last coach was fired for losing games he shouldn’t lose. Losing to USCe and MSU this year we’re inexcusable. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

We blew three leads in three consecutive weeks. That’s the only thing that matters to me right now. Our last coach was fired for losing games he shouldn’t lose. Losing to USCe and MSU this year we’re inexcusable. 

Do you think we should fire Harsin?

• Haha 1

We would have beat Alabama with Nix. But we also would have lost to Georgia State with Nix. So thats the trade off. Its baffling that at some points Nix looks like a star and at other times the qb that almost lost to Georgia State. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Malzahn was fired after 8 seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hay Field 101 said:

The Gus bus has shot its wad. Get on the Harsins Express or get off. 

Did you just put "shot it's wad" and "get off" in the same response. Clever. Now wash your hands

6 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Laddie, he was fired for more than that...

much more

2 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Do you think we should fire Harsin?

Absolutely not. I don’t think a coach should be fired after 1 season unless something really really bad has happened. But I will say I’m less than impressed with this staff so far. Losing to Bama the way we did is one thing. But to have 3 back to back games lost the same way… It’s inexcusable, and it doesn’t give me much faith in this staff. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Malzahn was fired after 8 seasons. 

3 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Laddie, he was fired for more than that...

much more

Y’all are fixated on the wrong part of that post. See my rebuttal above. I’m not really concerned with Gus or how Harsin compares to him. I’m just pointing out that the fan base and boosters are fed up with losses to inferior teams.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Y’all are fixated on the wrong part of that post. See my rebuttal above. I’m not really concerned with Gus or how Harsin compares to him. I’m just pointing out that the fan base and boosters are fed up with losses to inferior teams.

Exactly,

we have ended another season not knowing whether we are the team that beat Ole Miss or are we the Team that almost lost to Georgia State. Who are we?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

You should own your messaging.

As for "this staff", Harsin just fired a huge component of those unacceptable losses. So maybe you should also acknowledge what is already being done about "this staff"?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

The Gus bus has shot its wad. Get on the Harsins Express or get off. 

I don't care what you call the transportation, but if your buggy is traveling at top speed down a dead end road, you had best jump off at some point or kiss your butt goodbye.

• Haha 1

I think the reason it was odd is that the last four new head coaches had almost instant success.  The foundation is here...this is an actual rebuild.  This is a long-term stock.  We've been swinging coaches for a while.  Harsin has an actual head coach mindset.  He wants to be the head coach...everyone else around them needs to be the best at their coaching position, or they gone.  I like where it's heading...just what a weird season.  Could have beaten PSU...should have beaten MSU, SC, and Updykes.  These guys can play with anyone in the country, but they can also be beaten by almost anyone.  It's odd...Started the season with great second half adjustments.  Then, we started out the games hot, with no or poor second half adjustments.  I think DC is on a short leash going forward.  I do think he has the potential to make the defense a top 10 annual defense.  Need OL to be top 10 each season.  Auburn with a good OL and Defense is hard to beat any year.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kennypowers said:

I think the reason it was odd is that the last four new head coaches had almost instant success.  The foundation is here...this is an actual rebuild.  This is a long-term stock.  We've been swinging coaches for a while.  Harsin has an actual head coach mindset.  He wants to be the head coach...everyone else around them needs to be the best at their coaching position, or they gone.  I like where it's heading...just what a weird season.  Could have beaten PSU...should have beaten MSU, SC, and Updykes.  These guys can play with anyone in the country, but they can also be beaten by almost anyone.  It's odd...Started the season with great second half adjustments.  Then, we started out the games hot, with no or poor second half adjustments.  I think DC is on a short leash going forward.  I do think he has the potential to make the defense a top 10 annual defense.  Need OL to be top 10 each season.  Auburn with a good OL and Defense is hard to beat any year.

The program is not a total rebuild.  A team that can play with anyone in the country is by its very definition not a total rebuild.

• Like 2

I agree with OP.  We were better than 6-6.  Not a play-off team, but we were SO CLOSE to being 8-4 or 9-3.  The sky is not falling, we will be OK.

Harsin just needs to get this OC hire right.  I want someone who will stay 3 years or more.

17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The program is not a total rebuild.  A team that can play with anyone in the country is by its very definition not a total rebuild.

I would not say a total rebuild but you are moving from one set of offensive and defensive philosophies to another set. It does take some rebuilding to get the players you need to run the system.

1 hour ago, RHN1975 said:

I would not say a total rebuild but you are moving from one set of offensive and defensive philosophies to another set. It does take some rebuilding to get the players you need to run the system.

Harsin's system is closer to Malzahn's than it ever was Bobo.  That is why I often wondered how it would ever work.

On 12/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, AU9377 said:

I'd agree. Not a total rebuild by definition, but it is 1000% a total culture rebuild.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'd agree. Not a total rebuild by definition, but it is 1000% a total culture rebuild.

It is funny how that culture word gets used every time there is a coaching change.  The truth, as I see it, is that after a number of years most coaching staffs run out of steam.  What was once a room filled with new ideas and momentum grows stale.  The toll of time even had an impact on Pat Dye's last couple of years.  We had a real culture problem in 2012. Players arrested left and right etc.  Thankfully, that hasn't been a big issue since that time.