Birmingham Bowl: Auburn vs Houston

AUBwins

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Certainly not in stats. Guess getting born into the right family helps in some peoples minds. I do agree he has coached in SEC so tougher opponents. If he was at Auburn would not have lasted more than 4-5 years.

And stats are not comparable with Harsin coaching in the second tier league versus Stoops coaching in the SEC, the premier league in college football 

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Right family or not Mark Stoops is a damn good coach

A 58-53 coach doesn't WOW me!  And they play in the SEC East.  They are competitive most of the time but still drop a lot of games they shouldn't. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I disagree . He has done more with UK that the last 3 coaches at AU have especially long term. UK has improved every year and UKs bowl games were rare before Stoops.

Don’t think the won/loss column shows that for Malzahn. Not sure if the TT. The other 2 don’t have enough to compare in my mind unless you are counting out of SEC wins.

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Stoops coaching in the SEC, the premier league in college football 

Helps being in the East but he is a perfect coach for Ky.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And stats are not comparable with Harsin coaching in the second tier league versus Stoops coaching in the SEC, the premier league in college football 

If you’re comparing the two that’s the only stats that are available. If Harsin wins the bowl game his winning % is going to be better albeit much less in available numbers.

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well Kentucky had a better o line, a better QB, better wr play....they should be in a better bowl

Ky had a better line and it's slightly better than avg QB looked better because of that. Re Ky QB better than Nix...🤣

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Don’t think the won/loss column shows that for Malzahn. Not sure if the TT. The other 2 don’t have enough to compare in my mind unless you are counting out of SEC wins.

Not being mean but your missing what I said . Look where they started and where they ended and see if they improved over their time. They all had a good year here and there but Stoops has steadily improved not only his team but his recruiting as well.Stoops started way behind any AU coach in that KY concentrated on BBall. No the school and fans put as much concern behind football as they do basketball. That is a heck of an improvement . 

1 hour ago, AU North said:

Not talking about starting, but I don't think JT is the man. Need to find out what we got and don't got. No offense, Just the way I feel. Even if we lose to whoever, I would like to see what is sitting in the wings. That goes for any position that might make us better next year. Not trying to offend anyone here. JMO  WDE  

No I don’t either, and I’d love to see Dee. It’s just clearly not been this staff’s MO to give that man reps, for whatever reason 

5 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

A 58-53 coach doesn't WOW me!  And they play in the SEC East.  They are competitive most of the time but still drop a lot of games they shouldn't. 

Mark Stoops took over a completely dumpster fire after Joker Phillips. 

He’s turned Kentucky into a respectable football program which I think is short of a miracle lol

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s get our underwhelming dud of an OC hired so we can get prepared to go up to Birmingham and get thumped by an AAC team!

New OC probably wouldn’t coach in the bowl game anyway. 

1 minute ago, Taco said:

Mark Stoops took over a completely dumpster fire after Joker Phillips. 

He’s turned Kentucky into a respectable football program which I think is short of a miracle lol

Easily the worst football program in the conference, that actively attempts to put a competitive product out there year in and year out. I don’t think that can be said for Vandy 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well Kentucky had a better o line, a better QB, better wr play....they should be in a better bowl

I watched every Kentucky game this year. Levis is not a better QB than Bo. He may honestly be a poor man’s Bo Nix lol 

But Davonte Robinson and UK’s Oline are tough. I’d argue if Davonte Robinson was at any of the bigger programs in the SEC he would have a lot more media hype cause he’s good

By the way uat is not that good of a team despite what they did to UGA. Shorty at UGA had his head up saben’s butt so long, I think he wets his diaper every time he plays Saben. That’s like 7 in a row or so. He is just scared of Nick period. UGA has to hope everything year that AU or LSU beats Uat so they don’t have to play them because shorty won’t ever beat Nick and that’s why I’m glad he is not at AU. 

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not being mean but your missing what I said . Look where they started and where they ended and see if they improved over their time. They all had a good year here and there but Stoops has steadily improved not only his team but his recruiting as well.Stoops started way behind any AU coach in that KY concentrated on BBall. No the school and fans put as much concern behind football as they do basketball. That is a heck of an improvement . 

I think I understand what the implications you are making. It would be interesting to see Stoops get another opportunity (at a more traditionally football school with success in the recent past). My point was that no coach is given that much time at AU (and neither would Stoops) because of of our historic relative football successes. So it’s a very difficult comparison.

20 minutes ago, shabby said:

Me too. Living in Georgia had me pulling for Alabama last night. Im not sure how i feel about that. 🤣

Grew up in the Suburbs of Atlanta. 

I was rooting for Bama short of saying RTR. Can’t stand ThUGA fans, worst fan base by a mile for me.

• Like 2

By the way uat is not that good of a team despite what they did to UGA.

They went 12-1 in the most difficult division of the most difficult conference on the planet. 

They may not be as good as the 2020 version but they're better than "not that good".

• Like 3

By the way uat is not that good of a team despite what they did to UGA. Shorty at UGA had his head up saben’s butt so long, I think he wets his diaper every time he plays Saben. That’s like 7 in a row or so. He is just scared of Nick period. UGA has to hope everything year that AU or LSU beats Uat so they don’t have to play them because shorty won’t ever beat Nick and that’s why I’m glad he is not at AU. 

It’s literally just Stetson/Bobo’s incompetence. No reason they shouldn’t have had like 60 runs with the way their running game started in the first half. And leaving Bennett out there after his picks and his legs clearly not affecting Alabama’s pass rush? 
Kirby gets embarrassed by that man 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

They went 12-1 in the most difficult division of the most difficult conference on the planet. 

They may not be as good as the 2020 version but they're better than "not that good".

SECW was not that good. The division with Michigan, OSU, PSU, and State was way better this season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s literally just Stetson/Bobo’s incompetence. No reason they shouldn’t have had like 60 runs with the way their running game started in the first half. And leaving Bennett out there after his picks and his legs clearly not affecting Alabama’s pass rush? 
Kirby gets embarrassed by that man 

I’ve told my friends I think UGA’s biggest weakness is going to be going against an offense like tOSU. If they get caught up in a shootout I don’t think they can survive. 

UAT and Saban basically said “we’re going over the top.” And beat them with explosive plays. I will say this, Michigan is a really good match up for UGA, I think tOSU not being there is a big boost for UGA’s NC hopes. 

• Like 1

Well see with Ole Miss but Miss St lost to some trash OOC, Auburn lost to PSU and should’ve lost to a Sun Belt team, LSU got creamed by LSU and fought for their life vs borderline D2 teams, and A&M lost to 2 of the above

SEC might not have had the best conference or division. Just a two man race 

Just now, Taco said:

I’ve told my friends I think UGA’s biggest weakness is going to be going against an offense like tOSU. If they get caught up in a shootout I don’t think they can survive. 

UAT and Saban basically said “we’re going over the top.” And beat them with explosive plays. I will say this, Michigan is a really good match up for UGA, I think tOSU not being there is a big boost for UGA’s NC hopes. 

Agreed. UGA matches up well against Michigan and poorly against Bama.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taco said:

Definitely. Bama and OSU were the two teams I thought they’d lose to 3-4 weeks ago 

Side note: without blitzing, which I think is Kirby’s strength, I think most decent offenses that have tempo could mitigate their pass rush, and specifically Jordan Davis. Whoever they had calling O (supposedly it wasn’t BoB) called a masterful game of tiring him out and avoiding him 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I think I understand what the implications you are making. It would be interesting to see Stoops get another opportunity (at a more traditionally football school with success in the recent past). My point was that no coach is given that much time at AU (and neither would Stoops) because of of our historic relative football successes. So it’s a very difficult comparison.

Well any coach coming into AU already has a leg up on coming into KY so you would expect more.Heck after the dumpster fire of 2012 Gus still probably got a better recruiting class than KY because of who AU is. Again I’m so much interested in a coaches first year as long as he shows improvement. That is what I’m not seeing with Harsin. He is making worse mistakes late in the year than he did early. I actually was good with the hire to start with but he has gone down hill fast. He made some early changes like at Receiver coach that I think helped . But Bo had problems early. He should have had the #2 getting more game reps and maybe even the third string as well. Good coaches always have a plan B and a plan C ready. He also didn’t correct problems in defense. It wasn’t just personnel. It was style as well as not training players during the year. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

SECW was not that good. The division with Michigan, OSU, PSU, and State was way better this season. 

Because Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana are tougher than aTm, Auburn and LSU.  C'mon man....