Birmingham Bowl: Auburn vs Houston

AUBwins

20 minutes ago, e808 said:

A serious question is sustained success as a constant 10 win team realistic. Historically that’s not in Auburns favor. Then u have the issue of being sandwiched in between two state schools that are on a serious run. Not trying to be negative but is that expectation realistic. There has to be a reason why double digit win seasons arent constant.

Name the teams that have done that outside of Clemson, Bama, UGA, and OSU. The only others I can think of are consistent 10 win seasons bc they play a weak schedule.

55 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

😂 I just realllly hate how this year ended, and I guess I’m overly cynical that Harsin is the guy to get it done. 

No, on a personal level he’s just fine. He’s not really like a traditional Auburn guy, but that’s fine by me if he wins. I am confident that he thinks he can take the three star and make them tough and play physical and mentally tough football. I think if we give him 3-4 years, he will do just that. I just think that we will still be 8-4, 7-5 with that kind of team, because he does not seem to understand the talent gap. 

Just my opinion. There’s nothing to do but to sit back and watch him succeed or fail. I’m not advocating for replacing him without giving him a shot, but I’ve seen enough this season to know that it’s just not a fit. Hope that makes sense. 

I’m with you PTB.  Except for the additional practice time I would be all for turning the Birmingham bowl down.  It just seems to be more of an embarrassment than a reward.  I guess Harsin would have been a hero to us Auburn faithful if they had hung on to beat Bammer, but fact is they didn’t.  In fact, down the stretch they blew one game after another they should have won.  I had been ready to move on from Gus for a long time but I’m not sure we are any better off today.  Firing Bobo just seems to be an act of desperation to me.  I’m not sure anyone else is going to be much better until there is a huge upgrade in the offensive line.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Name the teams that have done that outside of Clemson, Bama, UGA, and OSU. The only others I can think of are consistent 10 win seasons bc they play a weak schedule.

That’s my point is that a realistic goal for a program or wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

😂 I just realllly hate how this year ended, and I guess I’m overly cynical that Harsin is the guy to get it done. 

No, on a personal level he’s just fine. He’s not really like a traditional Auburn guy, but that’s fine by me if he wins. I am confident that he thinks he can take the three star and make them tough and play physical and mentally tough football. I think if we give him 3-4 years, he will do just that. I just think that we will still be 8-4, 7-5 with that kind of team, because he does not seem to understand the talent gap. 

Just my opinion. There’s nothing to do but to sit back and watch him succeed or fail. I’m not advocating for replacing him without giving him a shot, but I’ve seen enough this season to know that it’s just not a fit. Hope that makes sense. 

It makes no sense.  Just saying.   You hoped it did, but it didn’t.   

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think anybody can really judge Harsin until watching next season, personally

Or at least seeing how this recruiting class finishes up.  I’ve heard it hinted that Auburn has some heavy hitters ready to commit and the coaching staff asked them to wait till signing day for impact.  Add Cristobal leaving and Auburn possibly being back in it for Clemmons.  

2 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

You can't make a silk purse out a sows ear. The man worked with what he had. Give him a chance. He has shown he will make changes as needed. Some of you are nuts. Give me a 10 win team, and give it to me now. Consider the difference in the last game. We took the number 1 team down to the wire. Someone put forth a valiant effort to do that. We came up short, but if those refs had the courage to call holding in the end zone, or two grounding calls, it would have been different. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This staff will need at least 4to 5 years to become truly competitive for conference championships. Recruiting shall remain paramount factoring Bama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, TA&M, Florida plus new schools Texas & Oklahoma! Ole Miss and MSU have momentum too! Question is what is our university willing to sacrifice to build a premier college football program at Auburn University!

2 minutes ago, auburnalum1974 said:

This staff will need at least 4to 5 years to become truly competitive for conference championships. Recruiting shall remain paramount factoring Bama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, TA&M, Florida plus new schools Texas & Oklahoma! Ole Miss and MSU have momentum too! Question is what is our university willing to sacrifice to build a premier college football program at Auburn University!

With the portal I think 2-3 yrs is a reality these days. Auburn had a decent talent base so 2-3 years of the portal to fill immediate needs and 2-3 years of solid recruiting and Auburn can compete with anyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

My only thing is that you have to be absolutely perfect in your portal evaluation for their current strategy to propel us anywhere. And even as well as they did, they still had quite a few misses, esp in the defensive backfield. Didn't get more receivers or OLinemen last cycles unfortunately 

Playing the game of odds with transfer guys and leaning on some lesser recruited 4 stars and some 3 stars might work for Bruce Pearl, but....don't know if it works for football 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My only thing is that you have to be absolutely perfect in your portal evaluation for their current strategy to propel us anywhere. And even as well as they did, they still had quite a few misses, esp in the defensive backfield. Didn't get more receivers or OLinemen last cycles unfortunately 

Playing the game of odds with transfer guys and leaning on some lesser recruited 4 stars and some 3 stars might work for Bruce Pearl, but....don't know if it works for football 

Agreed, in basketball one good player can elevate an entire team more often than not

9 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Or at least seeing how this recruiting class finishes up.  I’ve heard it hinted that Auburn has some heavy hitters ready to commit and the coaching staff asked them to wait till signing day for impact.  Add Cristobal leaving and Auburn possibly being back in it for Clemmons.  

What’s the impact for waiting until signing day and what heavy hitters? Do we have any 5* guys even hinting at us? Thought Emmanuel Henderson was the closest we got. 

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

And even as well as they did, they still had quite a few misses, esp in the defensive backfield.

Too early to say that. Roger McCreary is a first rounder and easily one of the top 5 CBs in the nation. Ladarrious Tennison, who actually played and is quite good, is transferring so that he can be a starter somewhere. Smoke Monday is a senior, a 2nd-year starter, and a guy who contributed all four years he was here. Etc etc etc. And Mason doesn't rotate guys like Steele did. That's true at every position group on defense. Many very talented players- Hunter, Steiner, etc- spent a lot of time watching and waiting this year. Can't say that they were misses yet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I’ve seen enough this season to know that it’s just not a fit.

In a strange way this makes me feel better. In past hires, that was the main criteria and it hasn't really worked out that well. Hopefully his "culture change" spreads far and wide and we start putting together some double digit win seasons.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I didn't say he was good, I said he played better than our qb. You can't speak for every Kentucky fan. I'm going off of play on the field and stats

Cool. I guess you know everything. 

17 hours ago, keesler said:

This was his 2nd worse team at uat no doubt.  And in a bad year they still won another SEC title, are back atop the CFP and are still playing for another NC.  Many programs would give their left arm for a “bad” team like that.  

Oh I agree completely. You can bet Nick didn’t fail to use the fact that AU almost beat them, everyday at practice last week. That’s why Nick is a great coach. He doesn’t water down mistakes like Some of our coaches do. He looks players straight in the eyes and calls out their manhood and he usually gets their attention. Harsin will never be that type of a coach. Pat Dye was that type. You miss a play and come off that field you can expect good coaches like Dye and Nick to ge in your face. Doesn’t matter who you are. Saben has chewed Young’s butt on many occasions this year. That’s what good coaches do. 👍

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Oh I agree completely. You can bet Nick didn’t fail to use the fact that AU almost beat them, everyday at practice last week. That’s why Nick is a great coach. He doesn’t water down mistakes like Some of our coaches do. He looks players straight in the eyes and calls out their manhood and he usually gets their attention. Harsin will never be that type of a coach. Pat Dye was that type. You miss a play and come off that field you can expect good coaches like Dye and Nick to ge in your face. Doesn’t matter who you are. Saben has chewed Young’s butt on many occasions this year. That’s what good coaches do. 👍

I'd disagree, not every good coach "gets in a player's face" or has to bark at him every 5 seconds to be a good coach. Muschamp is of that ilk and he's a horrendous head coach. Not Urban's style, or a Pete Carroll, or a Chris Petersen. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Birmingham Bowl: Auburn vs Houston

embarrassing

Hey Condé Nast Traveler website just voted Birmingham 1 of 22 cities to visit in 2022 along with London and other major and midsize cities. They mentioned the vibrant bar and restaurant scene, the building restoration, and the nice bribe they received 

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'd disagree, not every good coach "gets in a player's face" or has to bark at him every 5 seconds to be a good coach. Muschamp is of that ilk and he's a horrendous head coach. Not Urban's style, or a Pete Carroll, or a Chris Petersen. 

I don’t think you have any of those three very closely because I’ve seen all three do that. 

I'm excited.  New opponent.  Not an ideal destination, but it's a free game to get better...get some young kids more reps.  Regardless of destination, the guys that show up will be the leaders for 22.  Houston played tough with Cincinnati for a bit, so let's see what we got.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I'm excited.  New opponent.  Not an ideal destination, but it's a free game to get better...get some young kids more reps.  Regardless of destination, the guys that show up will be the leaders for 22.  Houston played tough with Cincinnati for a bit, so let's see what we got.

Would love to see some guys get some rotations but this staff doesn't seem to do that.

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Harsin will never be that type of a coach. Pat Dye was that type. You miss a play and come off that field you can expect good coaches like Dye and Nick to ge in your face.

And you know this how?

The best coaches praise in public and discipline/criticize in private.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t think you have any of those three very closely because I’ve seen all three do that. 

Every coach in the history of coaching has done it once. They don’t/didn’t do it very often. Saban does