Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

1 minute ago, jknighton said:

I'm with you. I wasn't totally on board with the Harsin hire, but I've seen things that I like in his vision. However, losing 5 games in a row to finish the year and not signing some much needed Olinemen & WR's is concerning.

It does help that the first commit for 2023 is a stud OL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If he hadn’t lost the room why isn’t he still here?

Because he didn’t want to be here anymore. He wasn’t sold on being able to put up the numbers to go pro. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Because he didn’t want to be here anymore. He wasn’t sold on being able to put up the numbers to go pro. 

Understand that take. 

57 minutes ago, jknighton said:

All of this is true, but if you don't think that Ashford doesn't know we went 6-7, lost our QB & bowl game, then picked up Calzada...while Ole Miss went 10-3 lost their QB (to the NFL), went to to the Sugar Bowl (also lost 😂), then you're assuming he's blindly walking through the portal.

If we get Ashford, then great, but to assume he's more interested in the home state school with 4 scholarship QB's on the roster over the school that has these 3 QB's, then you're being naive.

Screenshot_20220114-145302.png

I’m neither blind nor naive. But I’m glad to know of your assumptions about what I’m assuming.  😅

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not trying to disparage Bo for leaving. I also believe that he gave us the best chance at winning last year. I also firmly believe it was best for him and us the way things worked out although hate the way it worked out. Don’t see him leaving working any other way though as we were so divided about his capabilities. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m not trying to disparage Bo for leaving. I also believe that he gave us the best chance at winning last year. I also firmly believe it was best for him and us the way things worked out although hate the way it worked out. Don’t see him leaving working any other way though as we were so divided about his capabilities. 

I just don’t agree with the “lost the room” comment, because it has no proof and it takes away from him the impact he made on his teammates. All I’ve ever heard from anyone is how hard of a worker he was and how much he loved Auburn.

• Like 2

C'mon guys.  We were lucky to have had Bo.  He could have gone anywhere, but chose Auburn.  We mistreated him, so he left. 

Did I do that right? 

Maybe Philip Marshall should write about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just don’t agree with the “lost the room” comment, because it has no proof and it takes away from him the impact he made on his teammates. All I’ve ever heard from anyone is how hard of a worker he was and how much he loved Auburn.

Your probably correct but I was inferring the coaches room but I didn’t specify and don’t have anything but rumors, so shouldn’t have posted on that.

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we don't pick up some steam over the weekend, I'd expect a full-court press after the portal picks back up in the Spring

That's a day late and a dollar short, unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's a day late and a dollar short, unfortunately 

We will see. Nobody really knows what's gonna shake out. 

Of course I would've loved to load up in the winter, but the sky isn't falling. 

We had a really good recruiting class, got to keep building. 

This is getting me. I like the fact we are going after big fish. However, when you go after big fish you miss some. Does not mean no one wants to come here. I have no doubt they have the full court press on some guys. Still some good sized fish out there but may be getting closer to closing time. The 3 star guys might start looking better when the light are about to turn off.

i also think the fact that less information leaks with this staff makes people think nothing is happening. I will be concerned until we have some guys but I think they will get some.

I think we can afford to wait until after spring to bring in a couple of good WRs.   But we really need a solid QB, 1 true OT, and 1 OT/OG before spring, which means this weekend!  Unless we strike gold at the 11th hour, we laid a significant goose egg in the portal this off-season!😢

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 90s Distortion said:

Our "best receiver" is VERY replaceable. Kid had more drops than a bottle of Visine. Defense will be just as good as last year if not better. You can look at returning players and what the portal brought in and see that is true. And Bo? Lets be honest, he was a liability at times. A game manager like Calzada might even be an upgrade. 

How is Calzada a "game manager" compared to Bo?  He completed 56% of his passes, Nix completed 61% of his. Calzada had 9 INT's(in 12 games), Nix had 3(in 10 games). Calzada  got sacked 17 times, he rushed 35 times for -9 yds. Nix got sacked 13 times, he rushed for 57 times for 168 yds. What constitutes a game manager to you?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Can we not allow this thread to also be a “Was Bo this or was he this?” He’s gone. Move on. 

Dude this thread and the transfer portal thread are totally out of control. Been nothing pertaining to the topic of the thread for days. Just straight clutter. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, 90s Distortion said:

Our "best receiver" is VERY replaceable. Kid had more drops than a bottle of Visine. Defense will be just as good as last year if not better. You can look at returning players and what the portal brought in and see that is true. And Bo? Lets be honest, he was a liability at times. A game manager like Calzada might even be an upgrade. 

And yet he was our most productive receiver by far. What's that say about our room? Receiver was already a huge issue before our best one left, and nobody has been brought in to replace him.

You're just not making any sense. Our roster is currently much worse than last year's.

29 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Dude this thread and the transfer portal thread are totally out of control. Been nothing pertaining to the topic of the thread for days. Just straight clutter. 

Agreed. Just a bunch of back and forth bickering between fans. I am frustrated also that we haven’t done better in the portal to this point. Not sure why? Either players don’t want to come here or we don’t feel the players available fit what we are looking for. Regardless, we have a lot of weaknesses right now and I know the coaches are aware. Would have loved to have had all those needs addressed before spring ball begins but doesn’t look like that will happen. Does it mean doom….no. Would it have been ideal….yes. 

35 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Preach!!!!

3 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Of those three positions, Calzada at QB. I think he's a strong addition as a depth piece, but we are all disappointed because there isn't a clear cut frontrunner for the starting position. I don't expect that will change unless Caleb Williams shocks us all.

Plenty of WR and OL have been on campus. Can't seem to get any across the finish line though, and it's frustrating to see other schools pick off a couple of our targets. Hopefully we'll get good news soon though, bc they need to be on campus in the next 5 days to start spring semester. 

I would say based off where we are right now...there is a clear cut front runner. Now things could change depending on how much improvement some of the other make of course.

2 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I actually think our best hope at QB is the true freshman, UNLESS we get a clear cut QB1 from the portal this weekend. 

As of now, we only have SEC quality starters at C and RG on the OL. I'm most disappointed that we haven't added some quality there.

Absolutely not on the TFr QB. We do not want to throw a TFR QB to the wolves unless we have to and we don't have to....or unless they are an absolute generational talent ala Tlaw.

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s not an upgrade in an metric other than deep ball accuracy. It’s an obvious downgrade. Not sure why someone facepalmed that comment.

This absolutely deserved a facepalm to say that ZC is an obvious downgrade from Bo? Come on. Yes Bo did improve a lot last year, but still had a lot of issues to improve upon and his accuracy, or lack of, was never going to be great. ZC is much more accurate than Bo especially down field, but period. He also has a better pocket presence. I would say the only real thing Bo had on ZC is his mobility, but ZC isn't a statue, either. All reports are of ZC being an absolute great teammate and leader, and a wonderful additional to any locker room.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What?! Where the hell are you getting that from? Before he got injured, he had literally led us to wins over Ole Miss and Arky and we put up huge numbers in the first half against Miss St. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that he’d lost the room.

Calzada just played a whole season. I watched him. His team held him up in every game other than Bama. He didn’t start for A&M until he had to. And after the season his coach immediately went out and replaced him with Max Johnson. 

I have a pretty good indication of what he is. And that’s ok. He isn’t a championship caliber QB, based on what we’ve seen of him. 

You obviously didn't watch him very well if you say his team held him up in every game. I saw his team hurt him often. His OL was worse than ours in pass blocking. His WRS were worse than ours in drops. This is a bad take. 

UGA just won a NC with a former walk on QB. People need to back off the ledge. Now, I am not saying ZC is a Cam like QB where we instantly go to being a title contender with him, but there aren't many of those period. He is a QB that we probably win at least 3 more games with if we had him this year. If we can shore up the line and find a #1 WR we could absolutely be good enough to win with ZC and our Defense. 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bo wasn’t great, but he did enough for us to be in the SEC title discussion before A&M. Even if both QB’s are completely the same throwing, Bo is more athletic and knows Harsin and his teammates and had rapport with them. I do think that based on what we’ve seen of both, bringing Bo back would have been considered a win more that brining Calzada in.

Many current players were not the least bit sad to see Bo go.  He rubbed many the wrong way with his attitude.  Calzada has the chance to win the team over with his attitude and heart.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

UGA just won a NC with a former walk on QB

While true, it leaves out the context of the rest of the team. They have countless draft picks all over the place. Stetson was the weakest link to that team and has been all season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

And yet he was our most productive receiver by far. What's that say about our room? Receiver was already a huge issue before our best one left, and nobody has been brought in to replace him.

You're just not making any sense. Our roster is currently much worse than last year's.

100 % this

2 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

This is getting me. I like the fact we are going after big fish. However, when you go after big fish you miss some. Does not mean no one wants to come here. I have no doubt they have the full court press on some guys. Still some good sized fish out there but may be getting closer to closing time. The 3 star guys might start looking better when the light are about to turn off.

i also think the fact that less information leaks with this staff makes people think nothing is happening. I will be concerned until we have some guys but I think they will get some.

The girls all get prettier at closing time.....you might go home at 2 with a 10 and wake up at 10 with a 2!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mb711 said:

How is Calzada a "game manager" compared to Bo?  He completed 56% of his passes, Nix completed 61% of his. Calzada had 9 INT's(in 12 games), Nix had 3(in 10 games). Calzada  got sacked 17 times, he rushed 35 times for -9 yds. Nix got sacked 13 times, he rushed for 57 times for 168 yds. What constitutes a game manager to you?

That’s Nix’s results after a spring and a fall with this offense and his 3 rd year of starting. Should expect improvement with more experience. Course we could also see the same with TJ.