Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

Calzada and Slovis seem to be the first two to have actual communications with our staff. The goal of a tall pocket passer persists.

• Like 2

Slovis would be a good pickup but I am sure we will keep an eye on the portal for others.

Let's face it. The bar is not very high.

I love Bo and all he stood for. Good kid. Loved Auburn. Bummer it did not work out for him like most would have liked.

Unfortunate that he had such miserable coaching his first couple of years at AU.

I was listening to Blackerby's pod this morning and they made some good points that I cannot find fault with:

Bo was average at best. He would win some games with amazing performance. He would lose some games with almost as much gusto. Very high ceiling, but sub basement low possibilities as well.

If Auburn gets a guy who can be consistently decent- someone who would not necessarily win you a lot of games by himself, but would not lose games all by himself, then it would be a win.

If AU got the USC signal caller, that would be a huge upgrade.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cameron Ward is my dude. Didn't get any FBS offers because his high school ran a run-heavy Wing-T. The kid can THROW

• Like 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Slovis also has a fairly extended injury report iirc 

You’re correct but he was gross his Freshman year. 3000+ and 70% completion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

You’re correct but he was gross his Freshman year. 3000+ and 70% completion 

Yeah he’s been fine when on the field 

just not someone I think you can get without having a really quality backup behind him. Almost automatic he’ll miss some time

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Slovis. Obvious I like Ward, but does not seem like the CBH type

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Incarnate Word's HC was hired to be OC at Washington State. Might not even have a shot at him anyway 😔

Article on 247 has a breakdown of transfer QBs

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/Transfer-portal-QB-rankings-Cameron-Ward-Dillon-Gabriel-Spencer-Rattler-lead-top-players-available-178205973/#178205973_1

CAMERON WARD (FORMER SCHOOL: INCARNATE WORD)

10791523.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: 247Sports)

247Sports Quarterback Transfer Ranking (among available options): No. 1

Ward, one of the top quarterbacks in the FCS ranks over the past two seasons, visited Ole Miss over the weekend to see what the Rebels and coach Lane Kiffin have to offer. According to Hummer, Ward has quickly become among the most sought after signal callers in the transfer portal. Ward has reported offers from Indiana, North Texas and Houston. He's also hearing from a number of other FBS programs. This fall, Ward led all FCS passers at Incarnate Word (San Antonio, Texas) with 47 touchdowns to go along with 4,648 yards (third nationally) and a 65% completion rate. 

DILLON GABRIEL (FORMER SCHOOL: UCF)

Dillon Gabriel (Photo: Mike Watters, USA TODAY Sports)

247Sports Quarterback Transfer Ranking: No. 2

Gabriel stepped in as UCF's QB1 the year after a devastating injury to former Knight McKenzie Milton and broke out during the 2019 season after beating out former Notre Dame quarterback Brandon Wimbush to win the job. In 2020, Gabriel finished with 3,570 yards, 32 touchdowns, four interceptions, a 60% completion rate, 72 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns. Prior to an injury this fall under a new offense directed by Gus Malzahn, Gabriel was on his way to another statistically-dominant campaign. Gabriel finished his UCF career with 8,041 yards, 70 touchdowns, 14 interceptions, a 60.7% completion percentage, 372 rushing yards and eight rushing touchdowns. He officially visited UCLA last weekend and there are currently three transfer Crystal Ball forecasts for UCLA.

KEDON SLOVIS (FORMER SCHOOL: USC)

10054226.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: John McGillen | USC Athletics)

247Sports Quarterback Transfer Ranking: No. 5

Slovis was a three-year starter for the Trojans and threw for 7,576 yards and 58 touchdowns with a 68.4% completion rate during his career. He is expected to be a graduate-transfer option. True freshman Jaxson Dart assumed the reins of the position following a neck injury suffered by Slovis during a Week 3 game against Washington State.

MAX JOHNSON (FORMER SCHOOL: LSU)

10661307.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Stephen Lew, USA TODAY Sports)

247Sports Quarterback Transfer Ranking: No. 4

Max Johnson entered the NCAA transfer portal earlier this month, doing so minutes before his brother, Jake Johnsondecommitted from the Tigers as one of the jewels of the program's 2022 recruiting class. A package deal could be in the works based on family ties, notable considering the younger Johnson is rated as the nation's top tight end this cycle, per the 247Sports Composite. Johnson is the son of former Florida State quarterback Brad Johnson.

ZACH GIBSON (FORMER SCHOOL: AKRON)

8259254.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: 247Sports)

247Sports Quarterback Transfer Ranking: No. 9

Georgia Tech is a strong local connection for Zach Gibson, who grew up in Alpharetta, Georgia. The program already holds a commitment from Gibson’s brother, Zach, an offensive tackle in the 2022 class. Notes Chris Hummer, Gibson is one of the more intriguing names in the transfer portal. He wasn’t a full-time starter for the Zips last year. But he played like one of the nation’s elite quarterbacks while he was on the field, drawing a 91.2 PFF College Grade for the season. The 6-foot-3, 209-pound redshirt sophomore finished the 2021 season throwing for 1,262 yards and 10 touchdowns without an interception.

8 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Michael Penix Jr is one that interests me as well.

He literally committed to Washington just after I posted this, too funny.  I am not gonna say anymore names on here that I like at Auburn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He literally committed to Washington just after I posted this, too funny.  I am not gonna say anymore names on here that I like at Auburn.

I was looking for info and came across it. I didn't figure you knew and I decided to help. Had you not offered Penix's name up, I wouldn't have known of his existence. I only watch Auburn CFB games. So please keep posting.

28 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Tell us about Calzada ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, TJRanger175 said:

Let's face it. The bar is not very high.

I love Bo and all he stood for. Good kid. Loved Auburn. Bummer it did not work out for him like most would have liked.

Unfortunate that he had such miserable coaching his first couple of years at AU.

I was listening to Blackerby's pod this morning and they made some good points that I cannot find fault with:

Bo was average at best. He would win some games with amazing performance. He would lose some games with almost as much gusto. Very high ceiling, but sub basement low possibilities as well.

If Auburn gets a guy who can be consistently decent- someone who would not necessarily win you a lot of games by himself, but would not lose games all by himself, then it would be a win.

If AU got the USC signal caller, that would be a huge upgrade.

FWIW, Bo got down graded to a 3* by 247 in the portal

• Haha 3