Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

based on what?

Mobility?

Accuracy? 

His statue like pattern, limits his accuracy.

I knew with our weak OL and the lack of a strong WR group, the top level QB transfers were not going to settle on AU.

It's just the current status of our offense,but Harsin knows he needs a bridge if he hopes for Geriner to be the guy in 23. 

Harsin already knows the weaknesses of Finley are. He must feel Calzada(who is the best of the 2nd tier transfer QBs) can improve.

He's essentially a RSFR/new staff/new offense/no spring with this staff...has a huge arm that has shown he can make all the throws.  He's just inconsistent.  Calzada is a 3rd year player in the same offense/coaching staff his entire career and was terrible.

I don't want either to be the starting QB next year TBQH.  TJ needs another year to develop, IMO.  But Calzada isn't good.

Edited by W.E.D

56 minutes ago, au701948 said:

What is the “hefty NIL offer” you refer to above. Is it a team wide NIL thing or position thing. I ask because I have heard nothing about it and at times miss such info? Thanks in advance for your feedback. WDE!!

Just chatter from this thread.   Some pretty well connected people saying we're offering a nice sum of NIL $ to Caleb.   From what I understand, the referenced NIL is specifically for Caleb.  

Also, AU is working on a NIL platform across the board for all of our athletes, so that every AU athlete will be able to get some NIL $.

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's essentially a RSFR/new staff/new offense/no spring with this staff...has a huge arm that has shown he can make all the throws.  He's just inconsistent.  Calzada is a 3rd year player in the same offense/coaching staff his entire career and was terrible.

I don't want either to be the starting QB next year TBQH.  TJ needs another year to develop, IMO.  But Calzada isn't good.

Calzada’s faults… 

Can’t handle pressure in the pocket. 
Poor read progression. 
Bad touch on his passes. 
Struggles with deep balls. 
Will run before stepping up in the pocket.

But apparently if he gets hurt during the game he’ll play like a Heisman trophy contender 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Taco said:

Calzada’s faults… 

Poor read progression. 
Bad touch on his passes. 

But apparently if he gets hurt during the game he’ll play like a Heisman trophy contender 

So having swiss cheese OL will help us?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Taco said:

Calzada’s faults… 

Poor read progression. 
Bad touch on his passes. 

He beat bama, so he's good

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

3 Tds and 285 yards passing against Alabama doesn't make him a terrible QB.

3 TDs and 242 yards on the road against LSU doesn't make him terrible.

I'm never going to say he is top level, but Finley is going to have to really progress and improve on those weaknesses he has, including standing in the pocket too long, and his lack of an accurate throwing motion.

And lastly, what separates a successful QB is how he manages a game. Harsin knows what he needs. 

I like Finley and he did some good things, but he has a long way to go for him to be the starter in 22. Calzada may be the consistent QB that Harsin needs to bridge his offense to Geriner in 23.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

So i was just listening to Cowherd talk about the Caleb Williams thing... he says OU or USC would be the best long term situation for him. But thinks they won’t match the amount of money Auburn would give him 

The interesting part is the 1 million NIL offer we supposedly offered via back channel to entice him. I agree with Cowherd that those two probably won't match, especially OU with DG coming in. Seems like they're out. Now an LSU, A&M, or UGA very well could enter a bidding war, but those schools got viable options

9 minutes ago, au302 said:

The interesting part is the 1 million NIL offer we supposedly offered via back channel to entice him. I agree with Cowherd that those two probably won't match, especially OU with DG coming in. Seems like they're out. Now an LSU, A&M, or UGA very well could enter a bidding war, but those schools got viable options

Yep. Cowherd basically said if he cares more about immediate money then he’ll end up at Auburn or the SEC 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

There’s just no way this is a coincidence imo 

I'd be shocked, and disappointed tbqh, if they're not following several other QBs in the portal. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

3 Tds and 285 yards passing against Alabama doesn't make him a terrible QB.

56 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ha.  Nailed it.  Our fanbase, man.  Jeez.

Seems to line up well with the "I don't watch any college football" topic from the football board.

LSU is a disaster.  he completed 57% of his passes that game.  That's not "good".

Not to s*** on ourselves...but we had one of the worst pass defenses in the country last year.  Nearly every QB had career days vs us.  At home he threw for 0 TDs and 51% of his passes

Edited by W.E.D

one thing I am reminded of before Bo transferred (and I thought the same after...) is that whoever the QB is, we have him for Winter workouts, Spring for development and Summer for unofficial development.   

Bo made some nice improvements this year and I was guessing he would have improved more again.  

Watching TJ play last week reminded me of Jeremy Johnson due to his inconsistency and I was thinking, "at least we have him this offseason to improve."   And a genuine QB coach to develop the young lad.

If end up getting Calzone, then we will have 8 months to work with him...that is the silver lining in my post.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They follow lots of recruits.

https://twitter.com/AuburnFootball/following

Off the first glance:

Brayden Joiner

Justin Williams (Tennessee)

DeMario Tolan (LSU)

The entire 2022 class

Darius Clemons (UM)

Julian Armella (FSU)

Edited by ClaytonAU

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I don’t think he is good. I think he is average. But I think TJ is well below average. I heard someone on another site say it is like choosing between diarrhea and vomiting. 
The quarterback that we lost to Oregon is better than either of these guys. But it is what it is. We are in this predicament because Gus could not recruit quarterbacks. We were forced to bring in TJ last year as a back up plan just to have ANYONE. That is all he is, a back up. DD must not be ready (as he did not play one snap). Then there is a true freshman.

Frankly we are in a world of hurt. I wonder how many other teams in the SEC have a QB and OL roster like ours. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

They were confused and got it wrong. 

Just hearing some positives signs at the moment. This could take time or be a short process. We shall see

• Like 3
  • Love 1