Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

3 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

CW or bust it seems.  247 reporting Casey Thompson to Nebraska.  

Sounds like Robby Ashford is who they will target if CW goes elsewhere.  

Casey Thompson seemed to be anywhere BUT Nebraska but that apparently was his only choice. 

Read on an Ole Miss site that they're feeling really confident too. Lane's a good coach but don't see how they could outbid us, LSU, UGA, etc. Also, Charlie Weiss Jr. vs. Monken, Davis. 

17 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Sounds like Robby Ashford is who they will target if CW goes elsewhere.  

Casey Thompson seemed to be anywhere BUT Nebraska but that apparently was his only choice. 

Seems the only ones drooling over Thompson are here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, au302 said:

Read on an Ole Miss site that they're feeling really confident too. Lane's a good coach but don't see how they could outbid us, LSU, UGA, etc. Also, Charlie Weiss Jr. vs. Monken, Davis. 

I'd be confident if I were Ole Miss. CW would go crazy in that offense and they have a path to the CFP. 

Given the NIL, we don't even have to outbid them, he can go get his own $$.

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I always kind of pictured you two as these guys. But skeletons work too.

image.gif.a6416fb376dfd284defa9be4a5e4e67d.gif

image.gif

I envisioned something more like this...

Grumpy old men.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Can't be said enough times. It's not a matter of simply outbidding the next guy. This kid knows he's going to the NFL and he wants the best draft position possible. That's where the real money is. It's not half a million here or there. 

And it doesn't apply just to Williams. This is what some of us have been trying to explain since before NIL was even in place. It's not entirely dissimilar from how running backs have become more comfortable with the committee approach. They know they don't need 1,500 yds and 15 touchdowns. They just need to show what they've got when they get the touches and keep some tread on the tires.

Top flight recruits are smarter than fans and they understand the long game. They're not thinking about 2022. They're thinking about sustaining a career for 10 years after that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we hired Austin Davis, there was a lot of chatter that he was already working on a QB he was going to bring with him.  I think most thought it was Slovis out of USC. 

Russell Wilson is one of Caleb’s mentors, and I wonder if this actually has been in the works for longer than we think. 

Also would help explain why so much of the info about Auburn was coming from Oklahoma insiders early on. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

When we hired Austin Davis, there was a lot of chatter that he was already working on a QB he was going to bring with him.  I think most thought it was Slovis out of USC. 

Russell Wilson is one of Caleb’s mentors, and I wonder if this actually has been in the works for longer than we think. 

Also would help explain why so much of the info about Auburn was coming from Oklahoma insiders early on. 

Literally just posited elsewhere that Harsin might've hired Davis to get Williams.

If he did, then it is indeed the new day on the Plains that we've been waiting for. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Literally just posited elsewhere that Harsin might've hired Davis to get Williams.

If he did, then it is indeed the new day on the Plains that we've been waiting for. 

That seems to be a stretch especially considering Davis has been in the works long before Caleb announced. 

I think Davis is a bit of Harsins wake up call. He's noted how difficult this season was. I think he saw the huge benefit of hiring NFL guys in Eason and went that way with another young NFL rising star.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That seems to be a stretch especially considering Davis has been in the works long before Caleb announced. 

I think Davis is a bit of Harsins wake up call. He's noted how difficult this season was. I think he saw the huge benefit of hiring NFL guys in Eason and went that way with another young NFL rising star.

Yeah but there has been speculation Williams would transfer out of OU since Riley left in December…..would not shock me if during his decision making process he had discussions with Wilson about transferring, seeing as how they are close, and Wilson also transferred during his college years. 

Those things could have been shared with Harsin, that there would be a possible high level QB available that Davis had some connections to. 

I don’t think the sole reason Davis was hired was for Caleb Williams but as things have evolved on both fronts a lot of things sure have lined up. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

They don't even have an OC yet. Do they?

Zach Evans, CW, and the Oklahoma WR would be one helluva pull

Just now, W.E.D said:

They don't even have an OC yet. Do they?

Zach Evans, CW, and the Oklahoma WR would be one helluva pull

Yes, Charlie Weis Jr.  

13 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Yes, Charlie Weis Jr.  

Nothing screams NFL developer like Charlie Weis Jr & nepotism 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

And Auburn doesn’t? 

We certainly so, but I think it's past time to stop thinking we will just get guys over Ole Miss because we are Auburn. They don't have to outbid us. 

1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

We certainly so, but I think it's past time to stop thinking we will just get guys over Ole Miss because we are Auburn. They don't have to outbid us. 

Ole Miss hasn’t beaten Auburn in 6 years and currently has the #25 ranked recruiting class. They’re not on our level despite one good season 

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

And Auburn doesn’t? 

We do but Auburn has the most difficult path to the college football playoff in the country. Every year when people talk about SOS, we are always up at or near the top. We are the only team in the SEC west that also plays Uga every year. The other team somewhat comparable is TN but they play in the east and avoid LSU, Tam, etc. 

We also schedule an out of conference games that are usually good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We do but Auburn has the most difficult path to the college football playoff in the country. Every year when people talk about SOS, we are always up at or near the top. We are the only team in the SEC west that also plays Uga every year. The other team somewhat comparable is TN but they play in the east and avoid LSU, Tam, etc. 

We also schedule an out of conference games that are usually good.

uga is literally the only difference and Ole Miss would still have to play them in the SECCG. Plus, they're Ole Miss. The gap isn't currently as wide as it historically has been but we see them revert to the mean over and over again. Remember, we hired their only good coach who didn't get himself fired in the last 30 years. We are still above them and better positioned to get to Atlanta and beyond.