Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

This was going to be the issue with Kirby actually getting it done.  Now he has that feather in his cap.  Man I wish he'd come to Auburn.  Would really fix a lot of our offense struggles. 

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If the rumors are true that Stetson Bennett is staying then I don't see CW wanting to come to GA. He seems like he just wants to see the new national championship parting and celebrating...

You don’t think he would beat out Bennett?

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

This was going to be the issue with Kirby actually getting it done.  Now he has that feather in his cap.  Man I wish he'd come to Auburn.  Would really fix a lot of our offense struggles. 

I agree. Plus visiting right after a NC win sells itself. If GA gets Williams we are all in big trouble. 

Just now, Hank2020 said:

You don’t think he would beat out Bennett?

Nope. I think Bennett has proven now he can help win the big game. He's not elite true but he made some really nice throws in that pressure game, especially in the 4th quarter.

And I don't see Smart telling Stetson Bennett he is going to be out as their starting QB. And I don't think he comes back without that blessing from Smart.

opposite of what Nix found out when he talked with Harsin about his starting position for next year.

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Nope. I think Bennett has proven now he can help win the big game. He's not elite true but he made some really nice throws in that pressure game, especially in the 4th quarter.

And I don't see Smart telling Stetson Bennett he is going to be out as their starting QB. And I don't think he comes back without that blessing from Smart.

opposite of what Nix found out when he talked with Harsin about his starting position for next year.

I agree, I do not see Kirby replacing Stetson Bennett after he took them and won an NC.  He’s a UGA legend now. 

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I have a buddy who’s younger brother is one of the equipment managers on the team. 

Everybody on staff knows Bennett is the third best QB on the roster, but Kirby loves, LOVES, his toughness, leadership, and his work ethic. If Bennett does come back, he’ll be the starter. 

However, IMO, I think JT Daniels would be a better get than Caleb Williams for us, if Daniels does hit the portal. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Taco said:

I have a buddy who’s younger brother is one of the equipment managers on the team. 

Everybody on staff knows Bennett is the third best QB on the roster, but Kirby loves, LOVES, his toughness, leadership, and his work ethic. If Bennett does come back, he’ll be the starter. 

However, IMO, I think JT Daniels would be a better get than Caleb Williams for us, if Daniels does hit the portal. 

If Daniels doesn't hit the portal than he's basically given up on football imo. I could understand Vandagriff wanting to ride it out. I'd love to have him too. Good fit for what Harsin wants. Hope we go after Dart first though

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Don't let the fact that we have historically hired no-name bums fool you. You need to pay more attention to the fact that every coach going back 40 years had a national title, a national title-caliber season, and/or an undefeated season. Dye was straight up robbed, Bowden was on probation, Tubs was screwed out of a chance by sheer bad luck, Chizik won the thing, and Malzahn was one play away. And I just listed a bunch of *nobodies*. Dye was nobody before he came here. Bowden, Chizik and Malzahn are nobodies, period.  Tubs was a nobody as soon as he left. The Boise guy is, by far, the most pedigreed of the bunch. 

I liked most of your post but this part is wrong. He's more pedigreed than Bowden and Chizik absolutely. I'll even concede Dye too because Dye only coached under Bear Bryant. Dye's pedigree is all tied to Bryant.

I know some don't like him now because of politics and also because of how quickly he let the program slip when Saban was hired at Bama, but Tuberville is head and shoulders the most pedigreed coach we've had. Tuberville coached under Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson at Miami when they won NC's in the 80's and early 90's. Then he left Miami and coached under R.C. Slocum at Texas A&M. They went 10-0-1 in Tubs one year there as DC. Slocum is the winningest coach in A&M history. So if you add that up, that's 3 HOF coaches that Tubs coached under.

Edited by Auburnfan91
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don’t think Smart would tell him he automatically starts. But what do I know.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

The Drive just reported that CW was heading to UCLA for a visit, and then is headed to Georgia to listen to their offer. If that is true, I wonder if he forgo his AU visit, and changed it to GA?

Probably meant West Georgia, which as everyone knows, is where Auburn is located.

I dunno. So far the rumor of those claiming to be in the know said Williams would be going on UCLA and Auburn visits this week. Sounds like one part is being corroborated and it's surprisingly the one that makes the least sense given that UCLA's QB has announced his return a couple of days now.

Maybe we were wrong. Darren Uscher wasn't referring to Darious Clemons when he tweeted "Real G's move in silence like lasagna"... He meant Caleb Williams! 😅 Our staff is playing 5D chess!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I liked most of your post but this is wrong. He's more pedigreed than Bowden and Chizik absolutely. I'll even concede Dye too because Dye only coached under Bear Bryant. Dye's pedigree is all tied to Bryant.

I know some don't like him now because of politics and also because of how quickly he let the program slip when Saban was hired at Bama, but Tuberville is head and shoulders the most pedigreed coach we've had. Tuberville coached under Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson at Miami when they won NC's in the 80's and early 90's. Then he left Miami and coached under R.C. Slocum at Texas A&M. They went 10-0-1 in Tubs one year there as DC. Slocum is the winningest coach in A&M history. So if you add that up, that's 3 HOF coaches that Tubs coached under.

Fair enough. I'll back off the "by far" with regards to Tubs. But Harsin did run a successful program at Boise longer than Tubs was at Ole Miss, and he also had the year at Arkansas State. 

Tubs is definitely the asterisk on the list, though, you're right.

Idk how much it's been mentioned or talked about, but I hope CW looks into the tax structure and some of the insane healthcare laws that the CA legislators are trying to push thru. Anyone making bank in CA is going to be footing the bill for everyone else. No way in hell would I move to CA at this point and time.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, au302 said:

If Daniels doesn't hit the portal than he's basically given up on football imo. I could understand Vandagriff wanting to ride it out. I'd love to have him too. Good fit for what Harsin wants. Hope we go after Dart first though

Since Daniels has already transferred once, wouldn’t he have to sit out a year if he transfers again?

3 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Since Daniels has already transferred once, wouldn’t he have to sit out a year if he transfers again?

At this point he would be a grad transfer 

• Like 1

Ok, so based on the schools CW has been rumored to or visited or scheduled to visit:

USC - Starting QB hit the portal.  We don't know if that is because CW is going there or to put pressure on coaches to make a decision on which one or to explore other options.

UCLA - Starting QB has decided to return.  Kelly not guaranteed to return, likely will know after 16th if contract is extended. Will that deter CW from exploring this option?

Georgia - Starter just won NC and may come back.  If so, coach probably keeps him as the starter....unknown.  Also have two highly touted back-ups. 

Who else?  LSU - just got their starter to leave the portal and return.....that would be a kick in the gut and a bad look if they pursued CW hard now.  Ole Miss - What is the future of Kiffen?  He has been sniffing the NFL.  Would CW want to take that chance?  Maybe

I am sure there may be others but of all those, Auburn is still the team with the biggest need and widest open door.

We'll see how this plays out but I am hopeful for the mere fact that his most obvious destination to most (USC) has yet to secure him.  

19 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

At this point he would be a grad transfer 

He’s a junior, he would not be a grad transfer.

He’d have to sit one year if he transferred out of UGA.  With his covid year I think he’d have two years of eligibility left. 

Edited by AEAugirl

Just now, AEAugirl said:

He’d have to sit one year if he transferred out of UGA. 

Junior in eligibility doesn’t mean he couldn’t be farther along in classroom. 

• Like 1

Just now, AEAugirl said:

He’d have to sit one year if he transferred out of UGA. 

From what I’ve heard he would be a grad transfer. I don’t see him going anywhere tbh. If anyone left UGA it would be the freshman 

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

From what I’ve heard he would be a grad transfer. I don’t see him going anywhere tbh. If anyone left UGA it would be the freshman 

You can’t be a grad transfer without actually graduating, and he has not graduated from UGA. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Junior in eligibility doesn’t mean he couldn’t be farther along in classroom. 

Yes, but to be a grad transfer, you actually have to graduate, and he has not. 

Edited by AEAugirl

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The Drive just reported that CW was heading to UCLA for a visit, and then is headed to Georgia to listen to their offer. If that is true, I wonder if he forgo his AU visit, and changed it to GA?

So it looks like is will not announce until after these visits. All signs still point to USC. Ucla's starting QB is not entering the draft, means that  UCLA is out for CW it seems.

Has there been any talk of him coming here for a visit?? Outside a Dr on reddit