Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

For those of us Auburn fans that haven't got the memo yet I will let you all in on a secret. If Auburn sources are saying something is going to happen for Auburn that is positive and all other sources are sayig it isn't, believe the other sources. The names of either are irrelevant. It has nothing to do with this staff or with any Auburn staff. It is the reason I stopped following recruiting as closely. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Just not sure this thing is over with. If he really wanted to be at USC he would’ve already committed to them. 

Bingo. Money must not be right. If someone had told us on Sunday night after the Rams game, etc. that he'd be uncommitted heading into Thursday we'd have been thrilled. Looks like a bidding war

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This guy says he visited UCLA. So nobody has as clue because after what's been said by the Williams camp I can promise you CW wouldn't play for Chip Kelly.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

For those of us Auburn fans that haven't got the memo yet I will let you all in on a secret. If Auburn sources are saying something is going to happen for Auburn that is positive and all other sources are sayig it isn't, believe the other sources. The names of either are irrelevant. It has nothing to do with this staff or with any Auburn staff. It is the reason I stopped following recruiting as closely. 

Especially since Harsin has came and the well has ran dry. I’d believe recruiting analyst for other teams over our analysts. I don’t know how we on a daily basis state that our guys don’t know anything, and then trust them over a great big field saying otherwise 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Especially since Harsin has came and the well has ran dry. I’d believe recruiting analyst for other teams over our analysts. I don’t know how we on a daily basis state that our guys don’t know anything, and then trust them over a great big field saying otherwise 

I don't think there is any malice in it. I just believe that there is great pressure to produce on the coaches part. We all know that you must have good players to be good and great players to be great. Enthusiasm can be directly transferred into money(hence the pressure). So some in the know take a small bit of information and tell it. It spreads like a wild fire. Soon enough we Auburn fans start believing that a player was going to come to Auburn. Others meanwhile are telling us otherwise. Yet we believe. Then when said player doesn't come, the people that brought the information forth are generally ridiculed and lambasted. The person simply relayed what they were told. Information is only as good as the person that provides it originally. The names of any of the people are irrelevant. There is a pattern.

On a personal note: Cyrus K really broke me a fan. Since that point, I no longer gave a crap what any recruits says. I stopped giving the attention they want. He for all purposes was signing with Auburn. The dude had the coaches believing it. Had the Auburn media believing it. Had the inside source fans believing it. For all I know, he even believed it. Those outside the program were trying to give pause. Saying that while he is committed, there was a possibility that he would sign with bama. We as Auburn fans stuck our heads in the sand and believed that we were getting one over on Saban. Even felt sympathy for the guy when he struggled at the signing ceremony. Then he signs with bama. Of course he did. For anyone besides Auburn fans it made the most sense. If we Auburn fans woke up with our heads sewn to the carpet we wouldn't have been more surprised. So Auburn fans do what we always do. We raise all hell with anyone and everyone. We end up losing insider source fans because we burned those bridges and were delighted to do so. I didn't lambast those source fans and I can see why they wouldn't want to offer further information. 

If CW comes to Auburn great. If he doesn't, I'm fine with it. It doesn't effect my livelyhood or family so I will move on.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 6

I will get roasted for this, but I would just rather someone decide to come and play for Auburn because it’s Auburn and not as result of some “bidding war.” I am all for NIL, but the premise, as I understand it, was supposed to be for support of someone “after” they were a student athlete. Chasing a superstar player in this manner is too disruptive. I agree with Chaotic above.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I will get roasted for this, but I would just rather someone decide to come and play for Auburn because it’s Auburn and not as result of some “bidding war.” I am all for NIL, but the premise, as I understand it, was supposed to be for support of someone “after” they were a student athlete. Chasing a superstar player in this manner is too disruptive. I agree with Chaotic above.

I’m fine with this approach as long as you don’t call for HC head when living with the outcome. We either want to compete or not as I see it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m fine with this approach as long as you don’t call for HC head when living with the outcome. We either want to compete or not as I see it.

Is it more important that they come because they love Auburn, or is it more important that they leave loving Auburn?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Right ? Don’t speak outside of both sides of your mouth. This is the landscape we are in. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right ? Don’t speak outside of both sides of your mouth. This is the landscape we are in. 

And it's only different from the previous landscape in a mathematical sense. 

I had no idea how naive people have been about recruiting all these years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And it's only different from the previous landscape in a mathematical sense.

I’m not even sure it’s mathematics as much as optics. I guess the numbers *are* probably bigger but mainly it’s just out in the light of day now

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

On a personal note: Cyrus K really broke me a fan. Since that point, I no longer gave a crap what any recruits says.

I guess I’m more naïve than you. It took going through Foster and Evans to finish me off

• Like 1

I said in this thread many pages ago that twitter and the like is more about misinformation than information. One day, people will learn. No, I take that back. They won't. It's like the old Scooby and Shaggy...I hear and obey...

1 hour ago, au701948 said:

As long as you're fine being 6-6 ever year and give up hope at being a successful football school, then have at it

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Forreal. This is a little bit of a rant but I feel like saying you should be happy to come to Auburn because it’s Auburn or for love of it is a privilege stance. Let me be real with some folks here, a lot of these kids have dreams to make it to the professionals and a big reason why is to get out of their living situation. A good bit of them are possibly the bread winners for their family. Please reference Peyton Barber. He had to go to the NFL to take care of his family. Let me tell you something , if I am in a situation where someone can put me on to take care of my mom or dad especially if they have minimum, I am going to look twice at that option regardless of any love I have for a particular school just because. People want to believe this is like the movie Rudy. College landscape has always been like the movie Blue Chips. Now back to CW. He apparently got a nice deal from a non power 5 school , but it doesn’t look like he even has them on their radar. Things haven’t changed as much as people want to believe. 

This should be pinned. 

• Thanks 1

The one thing I have learned on the CW saga is nobody has any real information. A picture of player in a jersey means he will sign a week later has not signed. Every player who visits gets a picture in that teams jersey. He may also have visited UCLA. Some of our insiders say we are leading but with this staff which is very closed mouth they have no real proof. 

Bottom line until he actually commits and is in class we won't know where he is going. Part of the issue is CW and his family are not talking our staff is not talking and apparently other staffs are not talking so we basically get click bait that everybody can drool over.  

If he comes to Auburn great if not I will still have a life that will not be impacted one way or the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree, and you pay the going rate + some to secure top players through NIL.  The kid & his fam want a big payday and programs will ante up to get his services.  

Just worth noting Caleb Williams family is not poor by any stretch of the imagination.  His father owns Athletic Republic in DC which trains professional and college athletes, and he went to private Catholic school in DC which that in itself is not cheap.  His mother owns a child development center. 

When Williams was being recruited by Riley, his father said that Caleb would be willing to walk on at OU if Vandegriff stayed committed strictly because he wanted to be coached by Riley.  

So I’m not sure if this is actually a highest bidder situation or a chance for him to transfer to USC for Riley while at the same time parlaying this into a solid NIL deal. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

a chance for him to transfer to USC for Riley while at the same time parlaying this into a solid NIL deal. 

Exactly. This is exactly what's been reported from the start. It's the same with us. We have a chance because of Davis, period.

And exactly about the cash offer. He's good going either place, so might as well see how they sweeten the pot.

Alas, we have an army of fans who just want to bitch about NIL and how it's ruining the game and how every player is just pimping himself out to the highest bidder. And then we have the army of fans who insist that poor lil' ol Auburn never had a chance, with a heaping side of "these beat guys don't know anything and are just pushing clickbait".  

Folks choose what they want to believe and then look for things that help them keep believing it. Same as any other topic these days. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The one thing I have learned on the CW saga is nobody has any real information. A picture of player in a jersey means he will sign a week later has not signed. Every player who visits gets a picture in that teams jersey. He may also have visited UCLA. Some of our insiders say we are leading but with this staff which is very closed mouth they have no real proof. 

Bottom line until he actually commits and is in class we won't know where he is going. Part of the issue is CW and his family are not talking our staff is not talking and apparently other staffs are not talking so we basically get click bait that everybody can drool over.  

If he comes to Auburn great if not I will still have a life that will not be impacted one way or the other.

And if anybody takes a different stance with any recruit. Then that is on them!!

Example, I read Cyrus K name earlier in this thread as an example of why we shouldn’t follow AU beat writers, or listen to the media on this stuff. Let’s not forget Cyrus announced on NSD at his signing ceremony on national tv. That he was signing with Auburn. So the fact that he didn’t sign with Auburn is not the beat writers fault for reporting that he announced he was signing with Auburn. 

And my favorite is when fans get upset at writers because their crystal ball prediction was wrong. Like the words “prediction” has a different definition to some people. 🤷‍♂️ Sorry, little side rant there  back on topic.

Back to the quote above, I don’t think coaches are allowed to talk about potential transfers.  I know they can’t talk about potential recruits  so I would imagine it’s the same with the portal  and if CW camp is not talking publicly.  Then any information and how it is perceived is dependent on the individual who receives the info.  You should never follow recruiting and now this transfer stuff with more than a “TIFWIW” attitude  It’s fluid, heck 18-22 yo’s mind are fluid!!

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2