Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Folks choose what they want to believe and then look for things that help them keep believing it. Same as any other topic these days. 

No truer words have been posted.

Matthew Bingo GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

People want to believe this is like the movie Rudy. College landscape has always been like the movie Blue Chips.

This made me laugh, but is a perfect dead on comparison to what a lot of ppl here say.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I agree, and you pay the going rate + some to secure top players through NIL.  The kid & his fam want a big payday and programs will ante up to get his services.  

I would also add that 5 star QB that had a pretty good freshman year probably pulls a high amount. Just like the Bammer QB did when he arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

As long as you're fine being 6-6 ever year and give up hope at being a successful football school, then have at it

Rainn Wilson Crying GIF - Rainn Wilson Crying Tears GIFs

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Let me tell you something , if I am in a situation where someone can put me on to take care of my mom or dad especially if they have minimum, I am going to look twice at that option regardless of any love I have for a particular school just because. 

Anyone who says otherwise is either foolish or lying. Once again, fandom makes it difficult for many people to think clearly. Or to put themselves in the shoes of the recruit. 

• Like 3

Players coming to Auburn because they love Auburn is great and all but people are kidding themselves to think Auburn gets to a championship level because players who love Auburn will be what gets us there. Does anyone think the talent at Alabama all grew up loving Alabama? They have those guys sprinkled in but most of their players chose Bama because of what they will get out of it. They went to play ball at a different level than 95% of college teams and make it to the league where 99% don't sniff the air.  If we ever want to get to that level we have to get over the idea that worked back when radio was the only way to follow your team weekly. We can't live with the ideology of the past... we're a .629 all time team. That, folks, will keep us in perpetual coaching turnover if that continues. We either will be contenders, pretenders or intenders. Two of those are usually making excuses while the other one doesn't need to. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Personally I think we’re done at QB barring a transfer by DD

I think there is a strong chance we take Ashford.

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ashford has a ton of potential.

No idea if he’s ready to start yet.

If we can’t find a QB in the portal that can start day one( better than Calz. or TJ) we may be done

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac

3 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Ashford has a ton of potential.

No idea if he’s ready to start yet.

If we can’t find a QB in the portal that can start day one( better than Calz. or TJ) we may be done

He's probably not ready, but more of a depth piece.  Need to start planning out who the starter is in 2024.  Hell, Calzada could have 3 years here.

• Like 1

N.I.L. That's where most of the talent look first. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I am showing my ignorance but who is this ashford you speak of?

Just now, DAG said:

I am showing my ignorance but who is this ashford you speak of?

Robby Ashford.  He was a QB at Hoover that went to Oregon.  2020 class maybe

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's probably not ready, but more of a depth piece.  Need to start planning out who the starter is in 2024.  Hell, Calzada could have 3 years here.

Good point... Lack of depth at the QB position is hard to overcome when there are injuries involved.

If we sign him if probably means DD will transfer. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Robby Ashford.  He was a QB at Hoover that went to Oregon.  2020 class maybe

Ahh yes! Two sport athlete. Forgot all about him.

28 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Players coming to Auburn because they love Auburn is great and all but people are kidding themselves to think Auburn gets to a championship level because players who love Auburn will be what gets us there. Does anyone think the talent at Alabama all grew up loving Alabama? They have those guys sprinkled in but most of their players chose Bama because of what they will get out of it. They went to play ball at a different level than 95% of college teams and make it to the league where 99% don't sniff the air.  If we ever want to get to that level we have to get over the idea that worked back when radio was the only way to follow your team weekly. We can't live with the ideology of the past... we're a .629 all time team. That, folks, will keep us in perpetual coaching turnover if that continues. We either will be contenders, pretenders or intenders. Two of those are usually making excuses while the other one doesn't need to. 

So some are saying Auburn should start cutting bigger checks and paying out more cash.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

People want to believe this is like the movie Rudy. College landscape has always been like the movie Blue Chips.

Hell back in the 40's and 50's players not only got money but many played college ball into their late 20's and would go from team to team whoever was the highest bidder 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Personally I think we’re done at QB barring a transfer by DD

Staff seems to do proactive moves. They take a guy and next thing you know a guy from the same position group leaves. If Geriner passes him up he's probably gone after spring and then we're looking anyways.

My prediction is they go big for a CW, etc. and assuming they miss we hold pat through spring. Then they see who enters after spring, and if they find someone they want, either TJ or DD is pushed out (likely DD).

Thing about the NIL is I am fine with kids getting paid. But this is the wild west. There have to be some regulations. Imagine the NFL if there were no contracts and after every single season you could go back on the market to get the best offer available. I mean, honestly, why WOULDN'T every single player at least enter the portal to test the waters every year?

I'm a big believer the NFL needs a minor league. Every other major league has one, but the NFL mooches by using the NCAA entirely as their farm system. 

Screw that. Have an under-22 minor league for NFL teams. They could offer futures-contracts to high school prospects just like MLB teams do. That will get kids who only want to get paid, paid. It will also open up more slots for kids to go to college and play ball there.

You can easily make it to the league from either the minors or the college ranks, just like in baseball.

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Thing about the NIL is I am fine with kids getting paid. But this is the wild west. There have to be some regulations. Imagine the NFL if there were no contracts and after every single season you could go back on the market to get the best offer available. I mean, honestly, why WOULDN'T every single player at least enter the portal to test the waters every year?

I'm a big believer the NFL needs a minor league. Every other major league has one, but the NFL mooches by using the NCAA entirely as their farm system. 

Screw that. Have an under-22 minor league for NFL teams. They could offer futures-contracts to high school prospects just like MLB teams do. That will get kids who only want to get paid, paid. It will also open up more slots for kids to go to college and play ball there.

You can easily make it to the league from either the minors or the college ranks, just like in baseball.

NFL does have single season contracts.

Just how in the sweet hell can somebody possibly be afraid that college football *is going to turn into* a farm league for the NFL?

Holy jeebidy jeebus. Are these real people typing real thoughts??? Surely not???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1