Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

I guess the NFL has been ordering players from Amazon all these years? Winning them in bets with the other major professional football leagues? Growing them in vast greenhouses outside Indianapolis?

College football is *going to turn into* an NFL farm system. In the future. Hah! Dying. Dead.

46 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Thing about the NIL is I am fine with kids getting paid. But this is the wild west. There have to be some regulations. Imagine the NFL if there were no contracts and after every single season you could go back on the market to get the best offer available. I mean, honestly, why WOULDN'T every single player at least enter the portal to test the waters every year?

I'm a big believer the NFL needs a minor league. Every other major league has one, but the NFL mooches by using the NCAA entirely as their farm system. 

Screw that. Have an under-22 minor league for NFL teams. They could offer futures-contracts to high school prospects just like MLB teams do. That will get kids who only want to get paid, paid. It will also open up more slots for kids to go to college and play ball there.

You can easily make it to the league from either the minors or the college ranks, just like in baseball.

I've always been a proponent of a "g-league" if you will for pro football to accomodate kids that don't want to or aren't cut out to be college students.    But, the "student/athlete" myth became a sham decades ago due to school pride by alums and then to flat-out greed by the schools once the money got huge.    Academic integrity went way out of the window in lieu of the money and prestige football brings in.   Universites don't want a minor league to detract from their cash cow and the NFL is fat and happy as-is.    Now, since athletes and their advocates have gotten smart enough and bold enough to challenge the NCAA, they've folded like a cheap tent and we're left with a semi-pro, largely unregulated, non-parity driven sport, at least at the moment.   Basically some of the bad things about the NFL with none of the good things.    We'll see if this gets tighened up but it may not.    Older fans of college ball, like myself, may drift away and 2x the number of NFL-lite fans take over and pay to see this product.      

• Like 5

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell back in the 40's and 50's players not only got money but many played college ball into their late 20's 

That's a fact I can prove. The captain of Bryant's second team at bama came to work for me when he graduated. Smart guy. Got his degree in ME. Very personable. We became good friends and he confided a whole lot of info to me,

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell back in the 40's and 50's players not only got money but many played college ball into their late 20's and would go from team to team whoever was the highest bidder 

How many of those dudes did you room with and mentor?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Now, since athletes and their advocates have gotten smart enough and bold enough to challenge the NCAA, they've folded like a cheap tent and we're left with a semi-pro, largely unregulated, non-parity driven sport, at least at the moment.

Just curious. When, exactly, was it last a "parity driven sport" in your estimation? 

In the last 40 years, 21 different schools have won national championships. That doesn't seem that interesting until you realize that only 6 of those schools have only won 1 national championship in that same stretch. 

You were right that all of this happened decades ago, so I'm not sure why you then go on to suggest that NIL has somehow made it worse. Especially since NIL is what allowed Jackson State to sign the best player in the country and it's going to be what allows many other smaller programs to occasionally land a big fish that would have 100% gone to one of those aforementioned football factories. 

If you want to complain about parity, start with coaching, facilities and recruiting budgets. 

If you only meant to suggest that the "semi-pro" part is new, no, it's not. Again, where was the NFL getting players from before?

If you only meant to suggest that the "largely unregulated" part is new, then I beg to differ. The NCAA was created as much to keep athletes safe as anything, and they have made massive strides since the dark ages that so many old heads pine for. Think of how much abuse and head trauma happened over the decades that has only recently been looked into. That should be the main goal of the NCAA and they should be celebrated for what they've accomplished along those lines. It's much more important than the facade of fair play that we like to pretend we haven't been hiding behind, too. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Just curious. When, exactly, was it last a "parity driven sport" in your estimation? 

In the last 40 years, 21 different schools have won national championships. That doesn't seem that interesting until you realize that only 6 of those schools have only won 1 national championship in that same stretch. 

You were right that all of this happened decades ago, so I'm not sure why you then go on to suggest that NIL has somehow made it worse. Especially since NIL is what allowed Jackson State to sign the best player in the country and it's going to be what allows many other smaller programs to occasionally land a big fish that would have 100% gone to one of those aforementioned football factories. 

If you want to complain about parity, start with coaching, facilities and recruiting budgets. 

If you only meant to suggest that the "semi-pro" part is new, no, it's not. Again, where was the NFL getting players from before?

If you only meant to suggest that the "largely unregulated" part is new, then I beg to differ. The NCAA was created as much to keep athletes safe as anything, and they have made massive strides since the dark ages that so many old heads pine for. Think of how much abuse and head trauma happened over the decades that has only recently been looked into. That should be the main goal of the NCAA and they should be celebrated for what they've accomplished along those lines. It's much more important than the facade of fair play that we like to pretend we haven't been hiding behind, too. 

The 85 scholarship limit was an attempt at forcing some amount of parity but, no, Vandy was never going to compete with OSU for players.     NIL, which I think these athletes are entitled to, will most certainly lead to paychecks for play at some point soon.    Can pay be capped?  Maybe, if the NFL model is used.    Will player contracts ensue?   Yes.   Otherwise, it will be unregulated if players can jump from team to team with little/no penalty.      We'll see if some really smart people can preserve the college game where "college" means more than just the name on the front of the jersey.     Sorry if I've seen a difference over the years between college football and the NFL and preferred college.    The NFL is the most popular sport in the country and many people will be happy to see college to become almost exactly like it.

2 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

We'll see if some really smart people can preserve the college game where "college" means more than just the name on the front of the jersey.

It's already just like the NFL in that regard and has been for decades. To some, college is a means to an end, just as it is in the broader student body. To others, it's a lot more than that. To some NFL players, the city they play in is a place to live and work during the season. To others, it's a lot more than that. 

6 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Sorry if I've seen a difference over the years between college football and the NFL and preferred college.

That's totally fine. Many people feel the same way. But I think that preference is based on an idea more than reality and, again, has been for a very long time. Certainly far longer than NIL or the transfer portal were a real consideration. 

Put another way, the main difference between the NFL and college ball is that the NFL is honest about what it is. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's already just like the NFL in that regard and has been for decades. To some, college is a means to an end, just as it is in the broader student body. To others, it's a lot more than that. To some NFL players, the city they play in is a place to live and work during the season. To others, it's a lot more than that. 

That's totally fine. Many people feel the same way. But I think that preference is based on an idea more than reality and, again, has been for a very long time. Certainly far longer than NIL or the transfer portal were a real consideration. 

Put another way, the main difference between the NFL and college ball is that the NFL is honest about what it is. 

And going back to my original point, since we're now at a major inflection point in the sport, let's let everyone be honest.    Let the NFL be the pinnacle of professionalism, provide a minor league outlet where an athlete can compete and earn a paycheck to support himself and not have to pretend to be a student, and let universities provide scholarships to the one's who want to compete and get an education.    Will the quality of play suffer?    To an extent but it would be relative.    College basketball and baseball are thriving and coexisting with pro minor leagues.

10 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

And going back to my original point, since we're now at a major inflection point in the sport, let's let everyone be honest.    Let the NFL be the pinnacle of professionalism, provide a minor league outlet where an athlete can compete and earn a paycheck to support himself and not have to pretend to be a student, and let universities provide scholarships to the one's who want to compete and get an education.    Will the quality of play suffer?    To an extent but it would be relative.    College basketball and baseball are thriving and coexisting with pro minor leagues.

I wouldn't say they are pretending to be students. 46% of all NFL players have a degree. Also, a lot of guys who thought they were going to the NFL end up with a college degree and a whole lot of great options for other careers as a result of playing college football.

As for "let's let everyone be honest", that's exactly what NIL is allowing to happen. 

It seems like the current college football climate just "feels" wrong to a lot of people, and they can't articulate exactly why because it's not actually wrong.

I mean, I guess a case can be made for relaxed transfer rules making it a little bit harder to keep up with the roster, but it is in arguably more fair and appropriate for the players that everyone claims to support. 

• Haha 1

Auburn Reddit has spoken! Gone are the days when insiders can freely make false claims of insider info! Rejoice for the new day that is upon us!

609005B8-DC4F-47F0-95DC-BC95EC98614E.jpeg

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Auburn Reddit has spoken! Gone are the days when insiders can freely make false claims of insider info! Rejoice for the new day that is upon us!

609005B8-DC4F-47F0-95DC-BC95EC98614E.jpeg

Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc., etc. = information for dummies. LOL

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

The 85 scholarship limit was an attempt at forcing some amount of parity but, no, Vandy was never going to compete with OSU for players.     NIL, which I think these athletes are entitled to, will most certainly lead to paychecks for play at some point soon.    Can pay be capped?  Maybe, if the NFL model is used.    Will player contracts ensue?   Yes.   Otherwise, it will be unregulated if players can jump from team to team with little/no penalty.      We'll see if some really smart people can preserve the college game where "college" means more than just the name on the front of the jersey.     Sorry if I've seen a difference over the years between college football and the NFL and preferred college.    The NFL is the most popular sport in the country and many people will be happy to see college to become almost exactly like it.

Is this anything like we did with the Olympics? wde

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wouldn't say they are pretending to be students. 46% of all NFL players have a degree. Also, a lot of guys who thought they were going to the NFL end up with a college degree and a whole lot of great options for other careers as a result of playing college football.

As for "let's let everyone be honest", that's exactly what NIL is allowing to happen. 

It seems like the current college football climate just "feels" wrong to a lot of people, and they can't articulate exactly why because it's not actually wrong.

I mean, I guess a case can be made for relaxed transfer rules making it a little bit harder to keep up with the roster, but it is in arguably more fair and appropriate for the players that everyone claims to support. 

About half of the NFL players having degrees is pretty good, I guess.  Most of them did have to spend 4 or 5 years on a college campus after all.  And the NIL and unrestricted transfers are indeed great for the players so why not a real professional league for an 18-yr old who just wants to play ball while his body gets prepared for the next level?  That would also be great for some players and the nfl could use some of their bountiful money to pay for it. 

5 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Let’s not forget Cyrus announced on NSD at his signing ceremony on national tv. That he was signing with Auburn.

Poor kid wanted to go to Auburn, but his parents had already cashed the check.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AU North said:

Is this anything like we did with the Olympics? wde

Sorry, I don’t follow but the NIL definitely benefits Olympic athletes.  Suni Lee gets to be a professional gymnast and collect boatloads of endorsements without sacrificing a college experience.  

13 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

About half of the NFL players having degrees is pretty good, I guess.  Most of them did have to spend 4 or 5 years on a college campus after all.  And the NIL and unrestricted transfers are indeed great for the players so why not a real professional league for an 18-yr old who just wants to play ball while his body gets prepared for the next level?  That would also be great for some players and the nfl could use some of their bountiful money to pay for it. 

But the NFL doesn't want that.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, creed said:

Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc., etc. = information for dummies. LOL

Well us mere mortals who aren’t friends with people inside the program, that’s all we can get our info from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, au302 said:

Staff seems to do proactive moves. They take a guy and next thing you know a guy from the same position group leaves. If Geriner passes him up he's probably gone after spring and then we're looking anyways.

My prediction is they go big for a CW, etc. and assuming they miss we hold pat through spring. Then they see who enters after spring, and if they find someone they want, either TJ or DD is pushed out (likely DD).

Very likely scenario and I don’t think CW comes here

• Like 2

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just how in the sweet hell can somebody possibly be afraid that college football *is going to turn into* a farm league for the NFL?

Holy jeebidy jeebus. Are these real people typing real thoughts??? Surely not???

Idk if that subtweet is directed at me, but I'll assume so. I never said anything close to what you're alleging. Nobody's scared college ball will turn into a farm league. It *is* a farm league. That's my point. It's not good and there should be two development options like every other sport. 

Particularly the college baseball model would be great. Minors for kids who have no interest in an education, college ball for the rest. More kids get schollys and paid. Both options are still direct pipelines to the pros. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's not that hard to articulate. School sports shouldn't be professional. It makes education secondary and obstructs the process of choosing the right school.

School A has a kid's desired major. School B doesn't, but is offering him 100,000 in cash to play ball. So the kid goes with B and sacrifices his career dreams for short term cash.

A G-league for football eliminates that dilemma. It allows the kids who truly want to get an education, to get an education. And the ones who truly just want to focus on ball, to focus on ball. 

And for the non-nihilist, high school and college sports are about the love of the school. That has been damaged, but it's still there and the game isn't beyond repair. Not everyone believes the idea that money should be the only motivating factor in athletics.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

The defense, uh, rests?

Enjoyed the conversation.