Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

28 minutes ago, au302 said:

Some folks on On3 claiming there's a lot of chatter about Geriner making a run at the starting spot. 

Geriner's family was told he would have a legitimate chance to compete for the starting position but he needs to earn it.  Holden is also the type of person that if he needs to redshirt to develop, he won't take it the wrong way.  Has been locked in on the playbook and learning as much as he can before he arrives.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Everyone wants to hype the rookie QB.  People here said DD was going to take the starting role from Bo.  Ppl hyped Bo, Ppl Hyped Jeremy Johnson.

Everyone loves the new guy

I agree. Ideally Calzada improves to be solid for a year and Holden can run scout team and get some good reps against our defense. Hopefully Harsin and Davis can develop him better than Gus and co did the others

I would be SHOCKED to see Ashford commit to us. After sitting in the portal for nearly 2 weeks watching Auburn chase Caleb Williams instead of offering him, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him spurn us for Ole Miss. Either sign with (1) the 6-7 team who just went to the Birmingham Bowl, who just lost their 3 year starter to transfer to the school he was enrolled...or (2) the QB friendly head coach of the school that went 10-3, to the Sugar Bowl, who just lost their QB to the NFL.

The unfortunate reality of our 6-7 team is we were probably lucky to pull Zach Calzada and we need to begin planning on developing him, Finley, Davis and Geriner if we want to finish higher than 7th in the West.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not sure how I feel about bringing in another unknown who hasn’t played a ton. We are setting it up for Calzada and TJ being the 2 guys with playing time and I just don’t think either of those guys bridges the gap from last year. Also, Ashford coming in basically tells Dee that he’s being replaced in that sophomore spot. Maybe I’m wrong. It would just be really nice to get a JT Daniels, Dart, Sears type.

All this is very depressing.  Why can't we get  semi top shelf QB ... I just don't get it 

• Like 1

Just now, 90s Distortion said:

Sounds like we have one, but he is a freshman. 

Which was the case in 2019 with Bocephus Nix..I heard Harsin was gonna hit the portal hard for OL QB WR etc... have we got 1 portal commitment yet this yr? I know it's early but other schools are getting commitments

• Like 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Which was the case in 2019 with Bocephus Nix..I heard Harsin was gonna hit the portal hard for OL QB WR etc... have we got 1 portal commitment yet this yr? I know it's early but other schools are getting commitments

Breathe. Things are so much better than they seem. 

• Like 1

Just now, 90s Distortion said:

Seen this movie b4... you gotta have a QB to compete AND Ashford don't seem like  Harsin guy.. more like  Gus QB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Of those three positions, Calzada at QB. I think he's a strong addition as a depth piece, but we are all disappointed because there isn't a clear cut frontrunner for the starting position. I don't expect that will change unless Caleb Williams shocks us all.

Plenty of WR and OL have been on campus. Can't seem to get any across the finish line though, and it's frustrating to see other schools pick off a couple of our targets. Hopefully we'll get good news soon though, bc they need to be on campus in the next 5 days to start spring semester. 

1 minute ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Of those three positions, Calzada at QB. I think he's a strong addition as a depth piece, but we are all disappointed because there isn't a clear cut frontrunner for the starting position. I don't expect that will change unless Caleb Williams shocks us all.

Plenty of WR and OL have been on campus. Can't seem to get any across the finish line though, and it's frustrating to see other schools pick off a couple of our targets. Hopefully we'll get good news soon though, bc they need to be on campus in the next 5 days to start spring semester. 

Exactly.. all we heard from insiders is AU would be hitting the portal hard to fill needs..so far needs ain't being met

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not sure how I feel about bringing in another unknown who hasn’t played a ton. We are setting it up for Calzada and TJ being the 2 guys with playing time and I just don’t think either of those guys bridges the gap from last year. Also, Ashford coming in basically tells Dee that he’s being replaced in that sophomore spot. Maybe I’m wrong. It would just be really nice to get a JT Daniels, Dart, Sears type.

Daniels is coming off injured. Dart and sears don't seem to be on our radar anyway.

You now have to go after the ones who you feel will now sign with you at least for backup opportunities. With TJ and Calzada mainly going at it for QB1, then Ashford may feel like he'll stay stuck on down the depth chart.

We are realizing that we need for Calzada more than FInley to make the most improvement under Harsin/Davis, kind of like Bo improved on his weknesses.

They just need to be able to manage the offense and not be required to be the only option to make our offense work.

I just don't see a True Freshmen, like Geriner learning enough to be effective going against the best defenses in the country in teh SEC.

That's too much for a guy. He needs time to learn and develop. 

I would rather bite my tongue and go through another transition year, than throw Geriner to the wolves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Daniels is coming off injured. Dart and sears don't seem to be on our radar anyway.

You now have to go after the ones who you feel will now sign with you at least for backup opportunities. With TJ and Calzada mainly going at it for QB1, then Ashford may feel like he'll stay stuck on down the depth chart.

We are realizing that we need for Calzada more than FInley to make the most improvement under Harsin/Davis, kind of like Bo improved on his weknesses.

They just need to be able to manage the offense and not be required to be the only option to make our offense work.

I just don't see a True Freshmen, like Geriner learning enough to be effective going against the best defenses in the country in teh SEC.

That's too much for a guy. He needs time to learn and develop. 

I would rather bite my tongue and go through another transition year, than throw Geriner to the wolves.

Not trying to be a downer.. But if we only have 5 days for transfers to be eligible in spring , it ain't looking good... I will ask the board. 

1. Who is our QB?

2. Who is our go to Receiver? Or any receiver for that matter

3. Who will anchor our off Line?

Granted the Defense will be solid, but offense looks pedestrian at best

• Like 2

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Some folks on On3 claiming there's a lot of chatter about Geriner making a run at the starting spot. Seems all but concluded that DD is getting pushed out, which has been apparent for months. I agree with you though. Wish we'd swing higher. Not a fan of this one

I think we have been swinging higher

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nurbis said:

I don't have any details from the article but the player in the picture is Robby Ashford that played at Hoover and signed with Oregon in 2020. 

So…Oregon took our starting qb so we said, “screw you” and took one of theirs? After what we have done to them on the field? What an interesting relationship we have with the Ducks

36 minutes ago, jknighton said:

I would be SHOCKED to see Ashford commit to us. After sitting in the portal for nearly 2 weeks watching Auburn chase Caleb Williams instead of offering him, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him spurn us for Ole Miss. Either sign with (1) the 6-7 team who just went to the Birmingham Bowl, who just lost their 3 year starter to transfer to the school he was enrolled...or (2) the QB friendly head coach of the school that went 10-3, to the Sugar Bowl, who just lost their QB to the NFL.

The unfortunate reality of our 6-7 team is we were probably lucky to pull Zach Calzada and we need to begin planning on developing him, Finley, Davis and Geriner if we want to finish higher than 7th in the West.

Aren’t people saying Dart is looking at Ole Miss? He may not have a choice

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You’re speaking the truth but we have people that want to bury their heads in the sand. 

Fact of the matter is, at this point in time, we have a problem. Harsin knew from the moment TJ stepped foot into South Carolina that we were going to have to have an upgrade at QB next year. He also knew that our Oline depth was atrocious all season and we were going to need ready to play olineman from the portal or in this recruiting class. So far Trox and Brahm are the only thing keeping us from being in deep dooky. 

This portal season has been bad so far. That’s the truth. Hopefully it picks up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Aren’t people saying Dart is looking at Ole Miss? He may not have a choice

If Dart goes Ole Miss, then he's definitely on the outside looking in.

23 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

I mean, are they? Unless you're in the building and know who is, for sure, coming, then they really aren't. This current roster won't make a bowl.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I mean, are they? Unless you're in the building and know who is, for sure, coming, then they really aren't. This current roster won't make a bowl.

Do you honestly believe the 2022 team will not make a bowl game after the 2021 team just did? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I agree. Defensively we are ready to make a run at an SEC title. Offensively we aren’t even a bowl team. I don’t understand how people can think we are fine when we just lost our best reciever to Gus, our 3 year starting QB, we haven’t upgraded our line, and our best hope at QB would have been QB 3/4 on Texas A&M. Insanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

Do you honestly believe the 2022 team will not make a bowl game after the 2021 team just did? 

Auburn had two different teams last year. The one who played Arky and Ole Miss would. That atrocity that we saw against South Carolina and Houston wouldn’t win an SEC game. And we’ve downgraded since the Houston game.

51 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Not the way it works. The NFL bound Ole Miss QB committed to them after a losing season and while OM was on probation and Luke was the coach. Most of these recruits are thinking beyond the ‘recency effect’ and looking at a bigger picture. Most of them also aren’t tracking recruitment of portal players as a hobby. We’re the ones doing that. 😅

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree. Defensively we are ready to make a run at an SEC title. Offensively we aren’t even a bowl team. I don’t understand how people can think we are fine when we just lost our best reciever to Gus, our 3 year starting QB, we haven’t upgraded our line, and our best hope at QB would have been QB 3/4 on Texas A&M. Insanity.

I actually think our best hope at QB is the true freshman, UNLESS we get a clear cut QB1 from the portal this weekend. 

As of now, we only have SEC quality starters at C and RG on the OL. I'm most disappointed that we haven't added some quality there.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Auburn had two different teams last year. The one who played Arky and Ole Miss would. That atrocity that we saw against South Carolina and Houston wouldn’t win an SEC game. And we’ve downgraded since the Houston game.

Downgraded since the Houston game? It takes effort to be that negative. Just saying. 

• Like 1