Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

If we don't pick up some steam over the weekend, I'd expect a full-court press after the portal picks back up in the Spring. 

We really need a couple offensive linemen and receivers. The QB situation is what it is. Calzada starting is an upgrade given he has someone to throw to. Redshirt HG and pray he's ready to go in 2024. 

I hate how this seems to be shaking out for DD. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I actually think our best hope at QB is the true freshman,

This is a big fat L for our coaching staff. You absolutely never want to have to put your eggs in the true freshman QB basket. That is exactly what Gus did with Bo.

• Like 2

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

This is a big fat L for our coaching staff. You absolutely never want to have to put your eggs in the true freshman QB basket. That is exactly what Gus did with Bo.

Bo didn't have near the QB coach Auburn has now. 

21 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

About half of the NFL players having degrees is pretty good, I guess.  Most of them did have to spend 4 or 5 years on a college campus after all.  And the NIL and unrestricted transfers are indeed great for the players so why not a real professional league for an 18-yr old who just wants to play ball while his body gets prepared for the next level?  That would also be great for some players and the nfl could use some of their bountiful money to pay for it. 

Why would it be a sound business decision for the NFL to fund a farm league?  They already get the cream of the crop in experienced and talented college athletes now.:dunno:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

Do you honestly believe the 2022 team will not make a bowl game after the 2021 team just did? 

Uh... YES?! We just lost a 3 year starting QB, our best receiver, and our offensive line is porous. Not to mention our best defensive players (including a 1st round CB and one of the best LBs to ever play at Auburn) are gone. And We've got a worse roster with a tougher schedule.

If you're going to blindly say that stuff, make it make sense.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not the way it works. The NFL bound Ole Miss QB committed to them after a losing season and while OM was on probation and Luke was the coach. Most of these recruits are thinking beyond the ‘recency effect’ and looking at a bigger picture. Most of them also aren’t tracking recruitment of portal players as a hobby. We’re the ones doing that. 😅

Yep. Recruits look at a losing team and most often see a quick path to the field. 

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Why would it be a sound business decision for the NFL to fund a farm league?  They already get the cream of the crop in experienced and talented college athletes now.:dunno:

It wouldn't be unless they could save money on the front end by signing kids out of HS to lower money deals with long term control, ala MLB. But the NFL should be made to do it. They get full access and rights to these kids without paying a dime to the schools.

Just now, 90s Distortion said:

Bo didn't have near the QB coach Auburn has now. 

Austin Davis is completely unproven at developing high school QB’s into college QB’s. I think he will do fine. But let’s not just assume that because he was Russ’ QB coach that he’s a QB developer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Uh... YES?! We just lost a 3 year starting QB, our best receiver, and our offensive line is porous. Not to mention our best defensive players (including a 1st round CB and one of the best LBs to ever play at Auburn) are gone. And We've got a worse roster with a tougher schedule.

If you're going to blindly say that stuff, make it make sense.

Our "best receiver" is VERY replaceable. Kid had more drops than a bottle of Visine. Defense will be just as good as last year if not better. You can look at returning players and what the portal brought in and see that is true. And Bo? Lets be honest, he was a liability at times. A game manager like Calzada might even be an upgrade. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Austin Davis is completely unproven at developing high school QB’s into college QB’s. I think he will do fine. But let’s not just assume that because he was Russ’ QB coach that he’s a QB developer.

I think it is a pretty safe assumption that he can do it. Considering he went from a walk on to an NFL player. I mean, unless he absolutely sucks as teacher, it is safe to say he knows what it takes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 90s Distortion said:

Our "best receiver" is VERY replaceable. Kid had more drops than a bottle of Visine. Defense will be just as good as last year if not better. You can look at returning players and what the portal brought in and see that is true. And Bo? Lets be honest, he was a liability at times. A game manager like Calzada might even be an upgrade. 

Agree, Kobe hurt us a few times so I'm not mad that he decided to move on, and DRob wasn't great. 

Elijah C. on the other hand, could have been amazing. 

14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The NFL bound Ole Miss QB committed to them after a losing season and while OM was on probation and Luke was the coach. Most of these recruits are thinking beyond the ‘recency effect’ and looking at a bigger picture. Most of them also aren’t tracking recruitment of portal players as a hobby. We’re the ones doing that. 😅

All of this is true, but if you don't think that Ashford doesn't know we went 6-7, lost our QB & bowl game, then picked up Calzada...while Ole Miss went 10-3 lost their QB (to the NFL), went to to the Sugar Bowl (also lost 😂), then you're assuming he's blindly walking through the portal.

If we get Ashford, then great, but to assume he's more interested in the home state school with 4 scholarship QB's on the roster over the school that has these 3 QB's, then you're being naive.

Screenshot_20220114-145302.png

3 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

Also, our best receivers are TEs. I'll be shocked if we don't have Shenker and King on the field at the same time quite a bit this season, with King as the big bodied possession/red zone receiver we're looking for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Everyone wants to hype the rookie QB.  People here said DD was going to take the starting role from Bo.  Ppl hyped Bo, Ppl Hyped Jeremy Johnson.

Everyone loves the new guy

You would probably be more of a glass half full person if you cured your E. D.!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Jeff Lee article , 1/14/22, on3. https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/auburn-targeting-former-oregon-in-state-qb-to-join-2022-class/

"Auburn targeting former Oregon, in-state QB to join 2022 class?"

"Auburn already has added two QBs to its 2022 roster, but continues to look for one more. Could it be a former in-state star?"

Entered portal 1/5/22

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. Recruits look at a losing team and most often see a quick path to the field. 

Then why does UAt and UGA get top 5 classes every year?

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nick Marshall didn't join the team until summer 2013, fyi. 

And he didn't have a very complex offense to learn, either

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’re speaking the truth but we have people that want to bury their heads in the sand. 

Fact of the matter is, at this point in time, we have a problem. Harsin knew from the moment TJ stepped foot into South Carolina that we were going to have to have an upgrade at QB next year. He also knew that our Oline depth was atrocious all season and we were going to need ready to play olineman from the portal or in this recruiting class. So far Trox and Brahm are the only thing keeping us from being in deep dooky. 

This portal season has been bad so far. That’s the truth. Hopefully it picks up.

Basically all we have done is swap Nix for Calzada.. Don't seem like much if an upgrade to me to this point

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So will the recruiting forum also be taking after the football forum in complete doom and gloom? 

You're suggesting this hasn't already happened...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So will the recruiting forum also be taking after the football forum in complete doom and gloom? 

I will ask u... Who is our QB....who is our go to receiver.... Who is the anchor of our Off line....

5 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Then why does UAt and UGA get top 5 classes every year?

Because they 1) went out and bought them before that was legal and without any fear of repercussion and then 2) turned them into NFL players at an unprecedented rate, so that subsequent players would go there with legitimate expectations of taking that next step.

Did I somehow imply that there weren't other reasons that players choose schools, also?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Basically all we have done is swap Nix for Calzada.. Don't seem like much if an upgrade to me to this point

It’s not an upgrade in an metric other than deep ball accuracy. It’s an obvious downgrade. Not sure why someone facepalmed that comment.

• Like 1