Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

1 minute ago, 90s Distortion said:

Because Auburn sucks and never wins a game. Like ever. 0 for life! Am I doing this right?

Not what I'm trying to say...kids are all different and have different reasons for choosing a school. That's my point I guess...

5 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

And he didn't have a very complex offense to learn, either

But if a guy is already in an offense similar to ours... 

It just seems that folks have decided that we might as well not play the 2022 season unless we haul in a boatload of dudes before spring. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

Our "best receiver" is VERY replaceable. Kid had more drops than a bottle of Visine. Defense will be just as good as last year if not better. You can look at returning players and what the portal brought in and see that is true. And Bo? Lets be honest, he was a liability at times. A game manager like Calzada might even be an upgrade. 

But Kobe was our best receiver last year. By the stats and the eye test. If you don't like him, what does that say about the rest of the unit?

This is exactly why we need to bring in WRs from the portal. 

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I think we have been swinging higher

Which is why I'm troubled. We swing for the fences with Williams, which I love, but we're dropping all the way down to Ashford? 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It just seems that folks have decided that we might as well not play the 2022 season unless we haul in a boatload of dudes before spring. 

No we should def play. But it ain’t going to be pretty for anyone involved and another losing season is just going to continue to make it harder for Harsin to sell recruits.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's like every one has chosen sides and there is no room for a nuanced discussion. 

I can't be the only one who is optimistic overall about Harsin, but can admit recruiting does not look good right now. We've been hearing for months about patience and stocking up in the portal. This could still happen, but it isn't right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s not an upgrade in an metric other than deep ball accuracy. It’s an obvious downgrade. Not sure why someone facepalmed that comment.

Obvious downgrade from who? Stidham?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I know.  And I agree.

It's just depressing reading this board. Makes me sad.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Obvious downgrade from who? Stidham?

Bo! Bo Nix played pretty well this season. He even won us a game or two with his playmaking ability. He wasn’t perfect, but I wouldn’t consider a Calzada to be better than him. There’s a reason our offense looked like horse dooky after he was injured. 

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

It's like every one has chosen sides and there is no room for a nuanced discussion. 

I can't be the only one who is optimistic overall about Harsin, but can admit recruiting does not look good right now. We've been hearing for months about patience and stocking up in the portal. This could still happen, but it isn't right now. 

Yep, and summer practices start in mid July. Just seems like we could let the post-spring fallout happen and then see where we're at. 

Maybe another way I can say it is, no, it doesn't look great right now, but let's not make the mistake of thinking that means more than it does. You  seem to be there and I wish more folks were. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Because they 1) went out and bought them before that was legal and without any fear of repercussion and then 2) turned them into NFL players at an unprecedented rate, so that subsequent players would go there with legitimate expectations of taking that next step.

Did I somehow imply that there weren't other reasons that players choose schools, also?

Yes, this...

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. Recruits look at a losing team and most often see a quick path to the field. 

FWIW I believe all of these to be true. Kids are different and choose schools for different reasons whether it be who's going to give them a better education, who's going to give them an opportunity to win a Championship, their favorite team growing up, more money, a better opportunity at playing time etc.

Not trying to be argumentative, but you originally said "Recruits look at a losing team and most often see a quick path to the field". Just wanted to reiterate I'm not being a pessimist, but a realist who knows that no one can predict what these guys are gonna do.

People have reason to be frustrated. I'm a huge Harsin believer and think he's a good coach. That said, we need guys in for spring ball, especially on OL. If we don't land one of Brooks/Torrence that is really bad. Only one offensive portal commit so far with no real buzz about who alls visiting this weekend 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bo! Bo Nix played pretty well this season. He even won us a game or two with his playmaking ability. He wasn’t perfect, but I wouldn’t consider a Calzada to be better than him. There’s a reason our offense looked like horse dooky after he was injured. 

It's fine to say that Calzada wasn't better than him, but that's a lot different than "obvious downgrade". I can't fathom thinking that based on what we saw on the field.

And our offense mostly looked like horse dooky when Bo was healthy. The fact that Finley was abjectly terrible doesn't mean Bo was good.

Also, I think we agree that it wasn't all either QB's fault that our offense wasn't very good at any point after the early cupcake games.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but you originally said "Recruits look at a losing team and most often see a quick path to the field".

Right, but that is very different than saying it's the only reason they choose a school. I merely listed one criterion. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Why would it be a sound business decision for the NFL to fund a farm league?  They already get the cream of the crop in experienced and talented college athletes now.:dunno:

It wouldn’t make sense since at all unless they had been forced to out of necessity.  Pro baseball decided long ago that they weren’t satisfied with the quality of player coming out of HS and college and wanted to tightly control that quality.  At great expense. Football isn’t as much of a skills based sport as baseball. More of a molding raw athleticism sport which colleges got very good at.   And since colleges take so much pride in their football programs, they sank lots of money into them, and they became very watchable and started bringing in insane amounts of money.  Which the university heads got addicted to and became willing to allow huge budgets to keep it rolling.   It’s natural capitalistic flow which is fine but is finally reaching the boiling point where  none of the participants will be amateurs at the big schools which I find a bit sad. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It's fine to say that Calzada wasn't better than him, but that's a lot different than "obvious downgrade". I can't fathom thinking that based on what we saw on the field.

And our offense mostly looked like horse dooky when Bo was healthy. The fact that Finley was abjectly terrible doesn't mean Bo was good.

Also, I think we agree that it wasn't all either QB's fault that our offense wasn't very good at any point after the early cupcake games.  

Bo wasn’t great, but he did enough for us to be in the SEC title discussion before A&M. Even if both QB’s are completely the same throwing, Bo is more athletic and knows Harsin and his teammates and had rapport with them. I do think that based on what we’ve seen of both, bringing Bo back would have been considered a win more that brining Calzada in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep, and summer practices start in mid July. Just seems like we could let the post-spring fallout happen and then see where we're at. 

Maybe another way I can say it is, no, it doesn't look great right now, but let's not make the mistake of thinking that means more than it does. You  seem to be there and I wish more folks were. 

Agreed. I guess my frustration comes from feeling like the glut of transfer talent this year is a golden opportunity for Harsin. And I hate the thought of another great defense (which I expect next year) wasted on a putrid offense. 

I admit I've been back and forth on Harsin's recruiting, so no one should ever listen to me. But, don't worry, that does not mean I will ever shut up. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bo wasn’t great, but he did enough for us to be in the SEC title discussion before A&M. Even if both QB’s are completely the same throwing, Bo is more athletic and knows Harsin and his teammates and had rapport with them. I do think that based on what we’ve seen of both, bringing Bo back would have been considered a win more that brining Calzada in.

No had lost the room. He had to move on for his sake and ours. You have no idea about Calzada, your guessing using unequal comparisons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No had lost the room.

What?! Where the hell are you getting that from? Before he got injured, he had literally led us to wins over Ole Miss and Arky and we put up huge numbers in the first half against Miss St. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that he’d lost the room.

Calzada just played a whole season. I watched him. His team held him up in every game other than Bama. He didn’t start for A&M until he had to. And after the season his coach immediately went out and replaced him with Max Johnson. 

I have a pretty good indication of what he is. And that’s ok. He isn’t a championship caliber QB, based on what we’ve seen of him. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No had lost the room. He had to move on for his sake and ours. You have no idea about Calzada, your guessing using unequal comparisons.

Really? 🤔

17 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm with you. I wasn't totally on board with the Harsin hire, but I've seen things that I like in his vision. However, losing 5 games in a row to finish the year and not signing some much needed Olinemen & WR's is concerning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What?! Where the hell are you getting that from? Before he got injured, he had literally led us to wins over Ole Miss and Arky and we put up huge numbers in the first half against Miss St. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that he’d lost the room.

If he hadn’t lost the room why isn’t he still here?