OL isn't any better and lost two starters 

WR is worse.

NT got worse

DT push

DE push

LB is worse

CB is worse

S is worse

QB - TBD hopefully at least a push but could be better.

HB - Better. Year of experience pus the additions. Only loose worm.

Wr- Worse at the moment but it will not take much to improve the position. King to Wr and finally get a guy to come in and it could be stronger.

OL- I will go Push. Lost two starters but I believe they could fill the holes with guys on the roster. Depth would still be bad but some guys will have another year in the system. A few additional guys would put it in better shape than last year. Need some manic here.

DL- improved. Guys coming back and guys coming in.

LB - Worse. Not bad but worse.

DBs- Push. A lot of talent and new faces. Would not be surprised if it is better a few games into the season.

Just my opinion. It and a dollar probably will not buy you a coke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I understand frustration. I don't understand hatred for the team or coaches you are supposed to be a fan of. I am older, and was around for Coach Barfield and the end of Bowden, Tubbs, and Chizik. Gus almost broke me with the Georgia game and one armed Sean White, but I still wish him well. I just don't understand the angst over things we have no control over.

Who tf said I hated the coach? In fact I’ve said multiple times I like Harsin. This is the world we live in now. You can’t criticize anything with being called hateful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This comment is crap. This isn’t about understanding football. It’s about looking at what we had at the end of last season, which was embarrassingly bad, seeing what the staff was going to need to change, personnel wise and watching portal guy after portal guy choose other schools. It’s that black and white. If you can look at us, at this moment in time, and think “this offense is going to be undoubtedly better next year”, then I want what you’re smoking. Gimme!

Everyone here loves Auburn and wants us to succeed. Some of you have faith that no matter what, it’ll work itself out for next season and we will recover. And some of us see a startling trend that could easily have is sitting at 5-8th place in our division for the foreseeable future.

Straight facts

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Who tf said I hated the coach? In fact I’ve said multiple times I like Harsin. This is the world we live in now. You can’t criticize anything with being called hateful.

I was not quoting you, and for framing it that way, I was wrong. I apologize for that. I simply assumed that anyone that was so negative about AU and the program and had no positive opinions about the team and coaching staff didn't care for the coach. Most folks that "like" something or someone don't spend a lot of time crapping on them. AU will fire him if he is worthless. Can we just wait till he proves whether he's good or not? I'm not sure about him either. But it's almost like an obsession with some of you guys. I am just burnt out on the negatives. Probably just my age. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I was not quoting you, and for framing it that way, I was wrong. I apologize for that. I simply assumed that anyone that was so negative about AU and the program and had no positive opinions about the team and coaching staff didn't care for the coach. Most folks that "like" something or someone don't spend a lot of time crapping on them. AU will fire him if he is worthless. Can we just wait till he proves whether he's good or not? I'm not sure about him either. But it's almost like an obsession with some of you guys. I am just burnt out on the negatives. Probably just my age. 

I have no problems with Coach Harsin. I’m just commenting on what I’m seeing and not seeing this off season. Trust me. I’d love a few days of good news. God knows we need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

What position are we better at?

QB is a push vs Bo. Each is better at something different, different QB'S 

RB is a push

TE is a push

OL isn't any better and lost two starters 

WR is worse.

NT got worse

DT push

DE push

LB is worse

CB is worse

S is worse

I'm pissed about the lack of portal movement so far as well, but we'll see. I do think we're overall moving in the right direction, even if it's not as flashy or quick as we want/need

QB- Bo/Loy/Garnett/DD(next) to Calzada/Geriner/Finley (if he stays)/??? (Ashford). Deeper, but agree first string is a debate as they are different QB's.

RB- Shivers for Alston/Citizen or transfer (Mcduffie). I know we all love Shaun, but arguable upgrade in talent and depth

WR- Tbd to see if any of these freshmen can contribute right away and if we get transfers. 

OL- Right now worse since Friend can't land anyone. That can change if we somehow land transfers, as the outgoing seniors were pretty average to poor

TE- Same group with Riley-Ducker added. He should be good and King looks good.

NT- Fair was solid but Jayson Jones has more upside. Can we develop a solid backup or two? (Wright/Hunter/Pegues/Sledge).

DT- Crazy amount of turnover in the past year. Seems to be deeper than when Eason got here though, and arguably better.

EDGE- Worse and scary depth right now. Better hope Brooks is ready and someone moves there like Joko or Cam Riley. Moultry and Height were solid players, and Height had a lot of potential for next year

LB- Worse and scares the heck out of me. Can't replace Zakoby. Better get a thumper ILB that can take on some guards

CB- Push as of now, but can absolutely end up better. Can't replace a talent like Roger, but we're deeper as evidenced by the million DB's we've taken since this staff got here. Can one or more of Rhym, Ro Torrence, or DJ James (if we get) step up?

S- Push for now. Can Marquise Gilbert be a better cover guy than Smoke?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Tell me you don’t understand football without telling me you don’t understand football 

I understand enough to know that losing ten to the portal and bringing in two is a net loss. I know losing your 3 year starter at QB and your top receiver is a kick in the pants. I understand from watching this forum week after week as the "OH boy, this guy is visiting" changes to "Ratz, he went somewhere else" is not good news.

There is no way that the 17 signees from the early period are going to replace the graduates and transfers out.

If you think our roster is stronger now than it was last season, I'd like to have some of what you are drinking.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I understand frustration. I don't understand hatred for the team or coaches you are supposed to be a fan of. I am older, and was around for Coach Barfield and the end of Bowden, Tubbs, and Chizik. Gus almost broke me with the Georgia game and one armed Sean White, but I still wish him well. I just don't understand the angst over things we have no control over.

I don't understand where you get the idea that anyone posting here hates the team, coaches or players. I, too go back a way. When I first started class at Auburn, our QB was Loren Carter and Pat Sullivan was a high school kid.

Taking an honest look at the things that needed to happen and didn't happen isn't hate, it's looking reality in the face. "A spirit that is unafraid."

We needed a lot of help both from normal recruiting and the transfer portal. Our 17 young signees are not on a par with what our major competition signed and to date the portal has provided little except swings and misses.

I wish Coach Harsin all the success in the world at Auburn. Any Auburn fan does. That does not change the fact that some things that needed doing didn't get done.

• Like 3

I love Auburn  d the players. We arent getting the players we need to compete

Where it be the Coaches, the Univerity or is the fans. We have to get quality players to compete but they are choosing MS State and West Coast and LSU and South Carolina over Auburn. Somethings not clicking. 🏈🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

WR will be much more improved. 

WRs were bad last year and I see no reason to expect them to be much more improved. Please share your reasons for optimism. I'm trying, I swear. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, cbo said:

WRs were bad last year and I see no reason to expect them to be much more improved. Please share your reasons for optimism. I'm trying, I swear. 

That’s what I was wondering, but decided that arguing with him about it was useless. We lost 2 of our 3 main WR’s. The other guys are supposed to be talented, but barely saw the field during a season when we could have really used some playmakers in that position. So this leads me to believe that he thinks that simple having Keasau on staff for a whole spring and summer will turn our inexperienced WR’s into SEC caliber playmakers. 

It could happen, but I wouldn’t  bet my money on it.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I understand enough to know that losing ten to the portal and bringing in two is a net loss. I know losing your 3 year starter at QB and your top receiver is a kick in the pants. I understand from watching this forum week after week as the "OH boy, this guy is visiting" changes to "Ratz, he went somewhere else" is not good news.

There is no way that the 17 signees from the early period are going to replace the graduates and transfers out.

If you think our roster is stronger now than it was last season, I'd like to have some of what you are drinking.

I agree with you on some of this, but I'm personally not fretting over most of these guys from the last core leaving from back to back 6 win football teams. After Scar I called for major roster turnover, and we're getting it, so I can't flip flop my stance.

But yes, as we stand tonight, we are currently a worse roster than we were at the last regular season game. No excuse for some of these portal misses; however, I do think there's still a lot of turnover and additions still to happen. As frustrated as I am, it's mid-January

1 minute ago, au302 said:

I do think there's still a lot of turnover and additions still to happen. As frustrated as I am, it's mid-January

Possibly, and I hope you are correct. To date, all we've done is kick the can down the road until the "next big opportunity".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

People are so ridiculous. There are folks out there that honestly believe criticism = hatred and love is unconditional positivity at all times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, autigeremt said:

We will see come September. Some of you need to remember that another wave of players will hit the portal after spring ball across the country. 😳

You don't want to go through spring without players who you hope to be starters. Also, the post spring batch is going to be smaller, and the majority of whom are guys who are leaving because they're low on the depth chart at their current school. 

You're not going to have any guys like Kyren Lacy (who are basically too good for their current team, and are looking to upgrade) after spring. 

Come on, guys. I'm all for optimism but this line of thought doesn't make any sense. We have to get guys from the portal prior to spring.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

The only question mark for next year as of today is oline and LB. You can’t say push at positions that will have the same players with another year of experience such as Tank. WR will be much more improved. Must have missed all the incoming help with in the secondary and defensive line. There’s an old saying you can argue with a donkey and this board has several.

What.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

The only question mark for next year as of today is oline and LB. You can’t say push at positions that will have the same players with another year of experience such as Tank. WR will be much more improved. Must have missed all the incoming help with in the secondary and defensive line. There’s an old saying you can argue with a donkey and this board has several.

Juco players have huge bust rates. I'm not counting them until they contribute and can replace Smoke, Tennison, Roger, and Fair.

We lost our best WR.

Don't be coward if you want to call names, just say it. 

11 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

QB - TBD hopefully at least a push but could be better.

HB - Better. Year of experience pus the additions. Only loose worm.

Wr- Worse at the moment but it will not take much to improve the position. King to Wr and finally get a guy to come in and it could be stronger.

OL- I will go Push. Lost two starters but I believe they could fill the holes with guys on the roster. Depth would still be bad but some guys will have another year in the system. A few additional guys would put it in better shape than last year. Need some manic here.

DL- improved. Guys coming back and guys coming in.

LB - Worse. Not bad but worse.

DBs- Push. A lot of talent and new faces. Would not be surprised if it is better a few games into the season.

Just my opinion. It and a dollar probably will not buy you a coke.

The only thing I disagree about is unproven talent being a push vs proven starters.

That could happen, I like the guys were bringing in..but I'm skeptical (especially of JUCO) until they produce. 

10 hours ago, au302 said:

NT- Fair was solid but Jayson Jones has more upside. Can we develop a solid backup or two?

I'll agree with you here and change my stance on NT. Blanked on Jones for some reason. 

NT is a push at worst 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You don't want to go through spring without players who you hope to be starters. Also, the post spring batch is going to be smaller, and the majority of whom are guys who are leaving because they're low on the depth chart at their current school. 

You're not going to have any guys like Kyren Lacy (who are basically too good for their current team, and are looking to upgrade) after spring. 

Come on, guys. I'm all for optimism but this line of thought doesn't make any sense. We have to get guys from the portal prior to spring.

I'm hoping against hope that D Davis will be the answer. Good coaches adj to their QB talents. Saban has his coordinator adj and he has had various different types of QB talent. If Harsin is pigeon holed to 1 type of QB,  then we are in trouble

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't understand where you get the idea that anyone posting here hates the team, coaches or players. I, too go back a way. When I first started class at Auburn, our QB was Loren Carter and Pat Sullivan was a high school kid.

Taking an honest look at the things that needed to happen and didn't happen isn't hate, it's looking reality in the face. "A spirit that is unafraid."

We needed a lot of help both from normal recruiting and the transfer portal. Our 17 young signees are not on a par with what our major competition signed and to date the portal has provided little except swings and misses.

I wish Coach Harsin all the success in the world at Auburn. Any Auburn fan does. That does not change the fact that some things that needed doing didn't get done.

I get that and don't really disagree with anything you said. I'm just amazed at how many ways so many people find to say they same thing over and over. Some of us just check in to see if anything has been posted that has something to do with the thread title. Most of the time it doesn't, and the same folks are busy posting the same thing. It's like freaking ground hog day and I'm Bill Murray.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont understand how people think that Calzobe is the answer.  He had better talent at A&M than he will have at AU..Not a championship level QB. Jimbo is no slouch as an offensive coach either 

On paper he had better talent, but the 2 groups that really matter to a QB, OL and WR, performed statistically worse than ours. Their pass pro was awful and they led the SEC in drops.

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, those are players who, by and large, couldn't move up the depth chart at their prior school. While there might be a gem or two in there, it's not a talent pool worth getting excited about.

You mean Jack Driscoll? Or Casey Dunn? Yea they didn't do sh$t for AU.

13 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This comment is crap. This isn’t about understanding football. It’s about looking at what we had at the end of last season, which was embarrassingly bad, seeing what the staff was going to need to change, personnel wise and watching portal guy after portal guy choose other schools. It’s that black and white. If you can look at us, at this moment in time, and think “this offense is going to be undoubtedly better next year”, then I want what you’re smoking. Gimme!

Everyone here loves Auburn and wants us to succeed. Some of you have faith that no matter what, it’ll work itself out for next season and we will recover. And some of us see a startling trend that could easily have is sitting at 5-8th place in our division for the foreseeable future.

Looking at what we had at the end of last season was a Zac Calzada or healthy Bo  away from finishing the year 9-3 at worst. I see people coming on here saying we were good enough that with a QB we should have won 9-10 games last year, but they sh#t all over the rest of the players on the unity and dog them for coming back. The hypocrisy is vast. 

Let's look at what we have lost so far.

QB- Bo Nix- did improve last year, but his deep ball accuracy is what it is at this point.

picked up ZC- Stats don't look good but film tells me he is just as good as Bo if not better. I personally think he is an upgrade for what we want to do, but I will call it a net neutral at worst. If we had ZC last year we win 9 games. We likely still lose UGA, TAMU and one other one along the way. We beat PSU and BAMA

gai

• Like 1

11 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm pissed about the lack of portal movement so far as well, but we'll see. I do think we're overall moving in the right direction, even if it's not as flashy or quick as we want/need

QB- Bo/Loy/Garnett/DD(next) to Calzada/Geriner/Finley (if he stays)/??? (Ashford). Deeper, but agree first string is a debate as they are different QB's.

RB- Shivers for Alston/Citizen or transfer (Mcduffie). I know we all love Shaun, but arguable upgrade in talent and depth

WR- Tbd to see if any of these freshmen can contribute right away and if we get transfers. 

OL- Right now worse since Friend can't land anyone. That can change if we somehow land transfers, as the outgoing seniors were pretty average to poor

TE- Same group with Riley-Ducker added. He should be good and King looks good.

NT- Fair was solid but Jayson Jones has more upside. Can we develop a solid backup or two? (Wright/Hunter/Pegues/Sledge).

DT- Crazy amount of turnover in the past year. Seems to be deeper than when Eason got here though, and arguably better.

EDGE- Worse and scary depth right now. Better hope Brooks is ready and someone moves there like Joko or Cam Riley. Moultry and Height were solid players, and Height had a lot of potential for next year

LB- Worse and scares the heck out of me. Can't replace Zakoby. Better get a thumper ILB that can take on some guards

CB- Push as of now, but can absolutely end up better. Can't replace a talent like Roger, but we're deeper as evidenced by the million DB's we've taken since this staff got here. Can one or more of Rhym, Ro Torrence, or DJ James (if we get) step up?

S- Push for now. Can Marquise Gilbert be a better cover guy than Smoke?

I almost broke all this down myself. I agree with most, but have a couple notes I would add. 

I would say on OL its a push for now. At worst, we are returning several starters and we have a long way to go before we trot out that first team unit on gameday.

I think we are better at QB right now with ZC over Bo.

LB we definitely took a hit losing Rabbit, but I think we will have a guy step up and by season LB will still be a strength. Could be a transfer or could be a guy on roster that takes that next step. 

Edge is the one position that scares me just due to depth. I look for either Willis or Riley to get a lot of looks there which could be a good thing because they are versatile to be lined up all over the field. Riley especially has the size to do this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I almost broke all this down myself. I agree with most, but have a couple notes I would add. 

I would say on OL its a push for now. At worst, we are returning several starters and we have a long way to go before we trot out that first team unit on gameday.

I think we are better at QB right now with ZC over Bo.

LB we definitely took a hit losing Rabbit, but I think we will have a guy step up and by season LB will still be a strength. Could be a transfer or could be a guy on roster that takes that next step. 

Edge is the one position that scares me just due to depth. I look for either Willis or Riley to get a lot of looks there which could be a good thing because they are versatile to be lined up all over the field. Riley especially has the size to do this.

I’m also excited about Dylan Brooks and Tobechi Okoli as possible edge guys. We will learn more about them in the spring but apparently they’re both very athletic. 

• Like 1