Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m also excited about Dylan Brooks and Tobechi Okoli as possible edge guys. We will learn more about them in the spring but apparently they’re both very athletic. 

I hope Brooks can make an impact. There should be room without Height.

36 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I almost broke all this down myself. I agree with most, but have a couple notes I would add. 

I would say on OL its a push for now. At worst, we are returning several starters and we have a long way to go before we trot out that first team unit on gameday.

I think we are better at QB right now with ZC over Bo.

LB we definitely took a hit losing Rabbit, but I think we will have a guy step up and by season LB will still be a strength. Could be a transfer or could be a guy on roster that takes that next step. 

Edge is the one position that scares me just due to depth. I look for either Willis or Riley to get a lot of looks there which could be a good thing because they are versatile to be lined up all over the field. Riley especially has the size to do this.

There is a lot of ways things can go. Another year can be beneficial. I feel like 6th year guys are usually maxed out, but experience is probably better than what we would have replacing them.

Hopefully we can add some contributors in the portal and take a step forward on the OL.

LB is probably the weakest area without talent refilling it. DB we at least have some JUCO guys coming in, even tho there is often a learning curve for most of them 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have no problems with Coach Harsin. I’m just commenting on what I’m seeing and not seeing this off season. Trust me. I’d love a few days of good news. God knows we need it.

Then spend more time on the basketball board.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

On paper he had better talent, but the 2 groups that really matter to a QB, OL and WR, performed statistically worse than ours. Their pass pro was awful and they led the SEC in drops.

You mean Jack Driscoll? Or Casey Dunn? Yea they didn't do sh$t for AU.

Looking at what we had at the end of last season was a Zac Calzada or healthy Bo  away from finishing the year 9-3 at worst. I see people coming on here saying we were good enough that with a QB we should have won 9-10 games last year, but they sh#t all over the rest of the players on the unity and dog them for coming back. The hypocrisy is vast. 

Let's look at what we have lost so far.

QB- Bo Nix- did improve last year, but his deep ball accuracy is what it is at this point.

picked up ZC- Stats don't look good but film tells me he is just as good as Bo if not better. I personally think he is an upgrade for what we want to do, but I will call it a net neutral at worst. If we had ZC last year we win 9 games. We likely still lose UGA, TAMU and one other one along the way. We beat PSU and BAMA

gai

Too many questions. We will go into 2022, trying to get to 7 wins again, if we are lucky.

So many questions, and most are trying to be answered w/ existing players on offense, except for RB.

QB - Calzada could be better, could be same as Bo in the end.

RB - upgrade, no problem there. Could use a little more speed in backfield now that Worm is gone.

WR- unknown. We lost again some of our best WR(not top level, just our best at the time). Some of the current WR HAVE to make strides in HArsin's offense now to make it work. If we don't get at least 1 WR playmaker in TF, we we better start 3-4 TEs :)

OL - Avg until we get at least 2 transfers to be as good ofr better than C and OT. Calzada is going to need more help in the pocket from any OL group we put out there.

TE- best group we have on offense

Overall, it will have a chance to be in that 7-8 win season, if those areas produce.

23 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Actually it was the first time. And it really don't matter if it was the first or 100th. Free country and all

Actually it wasn’t. But yeah. ‘Merica 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m also excited about Dylan Brooks and Tobechi Okoli as possible edge guys. We will learn more about them in the spring but apparently they’re both very athletic. 

Okoli could be a sleeper. If Brooks can really hit the gym hard this off season he could definitely be a key contributor next season as a back up/ role player.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There is a lot of ways things can go. Another year can be beneficial. I feel like 6th year guys are usually maxed out, but experience is probably better than what we would have replacing them.

Hopefully we can add some contributors in the portal and take a step forward on the OL.

LB is probably the weakest area without talent refilling it. DB we at least have some JUCO guys coming in, even tho there is often a learning curve for most of them 

The thing is, we have talent at LB. It is just inexperienced talent. Steiner, Tisdol, and Riley have all shown flashes, but they all badly need more reps. I look for one of the 3 to really step up through the spring and fall camp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Actually it wasn’t. But yeah. ‘Merica 

Let me explain it so maybe even  U can understand... When the wagon goes off the road into the ditch...  Sometimes,, U have to actually get down in the ditch to get it back on the road...

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

My prediction of 10-2 was for last season. We had the pieces. I have always thought the re-stock year would be 2022. I was thinking somewhere around 7-5 for '22, but that included keeping Bo Nix and several of the other players who have left. We have a long way to go and a short time to get there as far as bringing in quality players for next year.

Oh my apologies. And I agree. At least with the 2022 stuff. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Too many questions. We will go into 2022, trying to get to 7 wins again, if we are lucky.

So many questions, and most are trying to be answered w/ existing players on offense, except for RB.

QB - Calzada could be better, could be same as Bo in the end.

RB - upgrade, no problem there. Could use a little more speed in backfield now that Worm is gone.

WR- unknown. We lost again some of our best WR(not top level, just our best at the time). Some of the current WR HAVE to make strides in HArsin's offense now to make it work. If we don't get at least 1 WR playmaker in TF, we we better start 3-4 TEs :)

OL - Avg until we get at least 2 transfers to be as good ofr better than C and OT. Calzada is going to need more help in the pocket from any OL group we put out there.

TE- best group we have on offense

Overall, it will have a chance to be in that 7-8 win season, if those areas produce.

Agree to disagree.

I will say it again, with Calzada this year we would have won min 9 games. I firmly believe it. 

I don't think 7-8 wins is our ceiling next year. Now, could things shake up even more and change that? Yes. 

All these players will have another year in Harsin's offense and another year of workouts, drills, and reps to get better. I am not saying we will be ready to compete for the west, but I don't believe we are a barely 500 team either. 

Mainly, I think everybody needs to chill out and just wait. Let's see what we trot out for FALL camp. There is an awful lot that can happen between now and then to change the trajectory of the team. That is my biggest point is that it is waaaay to early to be hitting the panic button and giving up on any hope for the 22 season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Let me explain it so maybe even  U can understand... When the wagon goes off the road into the ditch...  Sometimes,, U have to actually get down in the ditch to get it back on the road...

Ahhhhhh…..it all makes sense now!!! My eyes have been opened to the truth! I just needed a timely analogy that doesn’t support your argument at all (at best) and really just proves my point!

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

will say it again, with Calzada this year we would have won min 9 games. I firmly believe it

So would a healthy Bo. We can't base "upgrade" off a QB we had playing g 2 games.

Just now, W.E.D said:

So would a healthy Bo. We can't base "upgrade" off a QB we had playing g 2 games.

I don't disagree that with a healthy Bo we would have won more as well. I think ZC and we would have won PSU. 

I don't know what you mean by "playing g 2 games?" but I believe we upgraded at QB over everything we had on roster this year. Of course, that is my own opinion and not a common one it seems at least with our fanbase. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't disagree that with a healthy Bo we would have won more as well. I think ZC and we would have won PSU. 

I don't know what you mean by "playing g 2 games?" but I believe we upgraded at QB over everything we had on roster this year. Of course, that is my own opinion and not a common one it seems at least with our fanbase. 

I'll be interested to see how Calzada does and my a slight different offense helps him. 

He has some warts, and is really bad comparatively on short and intermediate stuff. Better deep. So can he keep drives going or just been boom/bust. That worries me the most.

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Ahhhhhh…..it all makes sense now!!! My eyes have been opened to the truth! I just needed a timely analogy that doesn’t support your argument at all (at best) and really just proves my point!

Maybe the lesson to be learned for you is when you want to levy a complaint against another poster, especially when the original post isn't directed to u, is to use a little more tact and not be so condescending. Have a good one. 👍 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'll be interested to see how Calzada does and my a slight different offense helps him. 

He has some warts, and is really bad comparatively on short and intermediate stuff. Better deep. So can he keep drives going or just been boom/bust. That worries me the most.

Does any think DD has a shot at all?We all seem to think Calzada is QB 1

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Does any think DD has a shot at all?We all seem to think Calzada is QB 1

Absolutely 0%

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Where do you get this from? 

47 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Where do you get this from? 

His stats?

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The thing is, we have talent at LB. It is just inexperienced talent. Steiner, Tisdol, and Riley have all shown flashes, but they all badly need more reps. I look for one of the 3 to really step up through the spring and fall camp.

Like Riley and Steiners speed. Not up to par yet in their physicality in taking on blocks imo. Tisdol looks like a masher. Not sure what's keeping him off. But I agree, I think they have roles

42 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

His stats?

Figured.

I am not diving back in, but ZC is more accurate than BN at every level. The only thing Bo has over ZC is he is more mobile and I think he maneuvers his throwing motion better around defenders. That is all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Figured.

I am not diving back in, but ZC is more accurate than BN at every level. The only thing Bo has over ZC is he is more mobile and I think he maneuvers his throwing motion better around defenders. That is all.

Calzada completed 56% of his passes last year. Nix completed 61% of his passes

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mb711 said:

And only about 25% of Nix passes were beyond 10 yards. 

Edited by JMassie11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

And only about 25% of Nix passes were beyond 10 yards. 

And Bo took 3 full years of playing to finally get to over 60%. 

ZC has only started 1 year now. 

ZC is a passer who has touch and can throw accurately downfield. 
Bo is a scrambler who will do that more than to escape while ZC will move around in the pocket to find his WRs. 

ZC definitely needs to be more accurate on intermediate routes and cut down on INTs. 

But I think he is more of a thinker on the field while Bo is a reactor. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mb711 said:

Yea I can read stats.  I never said ZC had a higher completion percentage. I said he is more accurate. Even on the passes Nix completed, many were not in a good position for the WR to catch in stride causing minimal gains. I will say Bo improved this year by a good bit, but ZC still throws a more accurate ball to me on short, intermediate and deep throws. 

I am  not searching for it, but I went through 5 of ZC's worst games and broke down pretty much every pass. In a nutshell....Nix throws more uncatchable balls at every level than ZC.