Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

42 minutes ago, auburnphan said:
12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think Auburn fans forgot that QB's can get better during the off season

With good reason.  I think Jason Campbell 03-04 was the last time that happened here.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

To touch on the WR subject, look for King to be moved to WR. Also, the staff likes the incoming class but most likely will add 1 transfer as long as it FITS what they want to do. The tweeners that Gus is known to recruit isn’t exactly what Harsin and Co like to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think our WR room will be improved, even without adding a transfer.  There was nothing that I saw out of the guys still here that showed me that they could not improve on last season.  Same goes for the offensive line.

This is what I'm hoping to see.  I'm thinking some of the WR's on roster didn't see any or much action because they were still struggling with the playbook or the reading defenses the staff requires them to do, NOT because they were less talented.  Hopefully, they'll know what they're supposed to be doing after a year in the system.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

With good reason.  I think Jason Campbell 03-04 was the last time that happened here.  🤦‍♂️

Well, we have only had 4 returning starters over that span IIRC. BRandon Cox, and he regressed. Nick Marshall got better his second year, Jarrett Stidham regressed and then Bo Nix who improved as well, just not under Gus. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a

26 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Jason Campbell also had a stacked supporting cast. 

Campbell

Cadillac/Brown

Aromushadu, Obamanu, Mix, Courtney Taylor

Cooper Wallace. 

Dang, I miss that team.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

To touch on the WR subject, look for King to be moved to WR. Also, the staff likes the incoming class but most likely will add 1 transfer as long as it FITS what they want to do. The tweeners that Gus is known to recruit isn’t exactly what Harsin and Co like to use.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Now I can chill out about it. 

And thank you also for saying the staff likes the incoming class. Folks are way too worried about the lack of name recognition. It's really not a stretch to think they'll be better than what we had in 2021. And they may be freshmen, but people keep forgetting that we went into 2021 with almost no experience, and absolutely no experience in a legitimate college passing attack. These guys might actually be at an advantage not having to unlearn bad habits. 

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And thank you also for saying the staff likes the incoming class. Folks are way too worried about the lack of name recognition. It's really not a stretch to think they'll be better than what we had in 2021. And they may be freshmen, but people keep forgetting that we went into 2021 with almost no experience, and absolutely no experience in a legitimate college passing attack. These guys might actually be at an advantage not having to unlearn bad habits. 

Between Shenker returning, the depth that’s there and the incoming freshman it’s a no brained for King. We also saw a couple of glimpses from some young guys at the end of the year last year just couldn’t connect on the deep ball. Jackson returning will be the leadership needed in the position group as well. Talent is there, just have to continue to coach them up and put guys in the right place which we all saw by the end of the year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I definitely think they need to usevJJohnson more to move this passing attack. 
he is going to get open, very good hands and speed. Move him a round too. ZC will love throwing to him. 

we do need a veteran WR in the portal to give what Roberson did at times just to help these young WRs trying to break in. 

either that or play 3-4 TEs and go at it. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cbo said:

We don't have a Pickens type talent coming in, unless we just get lucky. We need a veteran WR in the worst way.

I'd be absolutely shocked if we had a TrFr WR with 25 catches, let alone nearly 50 catches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I definitely think they need to usevJJohnson more to move this passing attack. 
he is going to get open, very good hands and speed. Move him a round too. ZC will love throwing to him. 

we do need a veteran WR in the portal to give what Roberson did at times just to help these young WRs trying to break in. 

either that or play 3-4 TEs and go at it. :)

1. The list of guys who can give us what Robertson did is extremely long and undistinguished. 
2. Further to @JMassie11's post, I think we'll see King on the field with another TE frequently. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Campbell

Cadillac/Brown

Cooper Wallace. 

Dang, I miss that team.

He also had Al Borges.  One of the best QB coaches I've ever seen.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

He also had Al Borges.  One of the best QB coaches I've ever seen.

The difference between Campbell and Nix and Finley and Burns (we have the conversation quite often over the years) is that Campbell was always very accurate, had very good touch, and had great arm strength.  He played timid and Borges just had to create an offense that fit for him, one that he understood and could play confidently in.  We haven't signed many QBs since him that possessed all the physical tools he did.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Legitimate question:  Why do you think we have not signed Ashford yet?  Do you think he still does not know if he wants to come to AU?  I would have thought that if AU wants him that if they have indeed moved on from CW, they would have already sealed the deal with him.  The fact that we have not pulled the trigger and neither has CW announced seems like an odd coincidence.  I know everyone has said that ship has sailed and I am in agreement.  Seems odd that we do not have another qb yet and he has not announced yet.  Two days and counting until last day to participate in spring.  If not CW or Ashford, who else could be a possibility?

Not sure, but could be a numbers thing. It seems all but concluded that one of TJ/Davis will leave after spring. The question is do both of them leave. If so, that's all 4 QB's out from last year. You'd have to take a flyer on someone like Ashford for emergency depth and then go to the portal post-spring (which some say we plan on doing). Ideally, one of them stays and we stand pat until May to go after someone then

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Campbell

Cadillac/Brown

Cooper Wallace. 

Dang, I miss that team.

From this list, fwiw: 3 five stars, 6 ranked in the top 110 in their class. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

From this list, fwiw: 3 five stars, 6 ranked in the top 110 in their class. 

Back when Tubs cared about recruiting. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Campbell

Cadillac/Brown

Cooper Wallace. 

Dang, I miss that team.

Yeah, the 2004 team is my favorite all-time!!!   (Don’t forget about that nasty defense!!!!)

24 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Yeah, the 2004 team is my favorite all-time!!!   (Don’t forget about that nasty defense!!!!)

CTT's downfall was his inability to recruit a top level QB after Campbell, so he tried to change his offense (Franklin, Null, etc..) and it cost him...

Edited by steeleagle

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know about unlearning bad habits, but I can absolutely see where learning a new, more complex system could affect concentration, causing the multitude of drops that we saw. Having a WR coach who was there more to recruit than coach for the first half of the season probably didn't help matters any, either.

And dear sweet baby Jesus, if we can get Landon King going as a receiving threat, we should be in pretty good shape.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Campbell

Cadillac/Brown

Cooper Wallace. 

Dang, I miss that team.

Don't forget the big men up front. Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs were both Pro Bowlers in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Crypto Dentist said:

679Ut6Zs_normal.jpg

spacer.png

MikeGriffith32

‪@MikeGriffith32

logo_twitter-1497383721365.png

spacer_464x1-1582829598167.png

JT Daniels expected to enter the transfer portal: bit.ly/3GFqRul pic.twitter.com/cAJRRcu8Ou

1/17/22, 1:11 PM

Reveal hidden contents

Won't pursue. We got Robbie Ashford coming baby!!!! 😭

11 minutes ago, Crypto Dentist said:

679Ut6Zs_normal.jpg

spacer.png

MikeGriffith32

‪@MikeGriffith32

logo_twitter-1497383721365.png

spacer_464x1-1582829598167.png

JT Daniels expected to enter the transfer portal: bit.ly/3GFqRul pic.twitter.com/cAJRRcu8Ou

1/17/22, 1:11 PM

Reveal hidden contents

Tried to tell people last week to expect this to happen but it was argued 

4 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Tried to tell people last week to expect this to happen but it was argued 

You think we pursue? Seems like we should, but I got no faith that we will. Thinking he and possibly Vandagriff would be post-spring guys. Wednesday is the deadline for us and I think they have a 48 hour hold?

Just now, au302 said:

You think we pursue? Seems like we should, but I got no faith that we will. Thinking he and possibly Vandagriff would be post-spring guys. Wednesday is the deadline for us and I think they have a 48 hour hold?

Daniels would be a 1 and done wherever he goes. Would love to have him here but don’t think the staff is interested. Could certainly help the short term but I like who we currently have to be fair. 

• Like 1