Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

He was a real possibility

He was a real possibility in who's mind?  Possible enough that he'd take the time to even visit campus?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

We were so in it, that he wouldn't even step foot in campus. Sorry, that's not being "in it".

Glad we tried

It sounds like we weren't willing to meet his NIL demands. That's why he never visited. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

It sounds like we weren't willing to meet his NIL demands. That's why he never visited. 

exactly. He and his dad are marketing him. We didn't either have the resources due to NIL limitations or we didn't think he was worth what was being asked.

I think there were some NIL deal through Cam being floated, but even they didn't think he was worth 2 mil. 

Once that was decided no reason for him to visit.

Remember, he decided to go to GA? Why, bc they DID have a offer for him to consider, so he went there after USC and UCLA.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I wanted to *say* his name, but I'm losing optimism that we're going to *see* him.

Davis could be his saving grace, though. Bobo, however ineffectual he was for us, did have a lot of experience coaching QBs at a very high level. But they were Matt Stafford and other guys that looked a lot more like Matt Stafford than like Russell Wilson.

Now we've got Russell Wilson's coach working with a guy who drew Russell Wilson comparisons in high school. And he hasn't gotten on the field with any of these kids yet. Maybe once he does, Davis sees something special in Davis, and Davis learns from Davis, and Davis and Davis have a great spring together. 

It will be interesting to see how A.Davis evaluates the QB room.. the Russell Wilson connection will be interesting especially if he sees anything to back up the comparisons DD got in high school. I am finding it hard to believe this kid can’t see the field. Is it off field issues and not doing the things he need to to see the field? I remember hearing that was the problem with Canion?  I just hope DD does the things he need to do and gets the shot to compete. 

11 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

It will be interesting to see how A.Davis evaluates the QB room.. the Russell Wilson connection will be interesting especially if he sees anything to back up the comparisons DD got in high school. I am finding it hard to believe this kid can’t see the field. Is it off field issues and not doing the things he need to to see the field? I remember hearing that was the problem with Canion?  I just hope DD does the things he need to do and gets the shot to compete. 

From what I've heard- which you should definitely take with a grain of salt- he just hasn't performed well in practice. Have never heard a single bad thing about his attitude, work ethic, etc. In fact quite the opposite. I've just heard that he hasn't performed well. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, metafour said:

Which makes him not a real possibility.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Which makes him not a real possibility.

In other words, he wanted an NIL deal of X amount. And Auburn’s coaching staff, in all of their QB evaluation experience looked at him and determined that he wasn’t worth asking businesses and donors to help foot the bill for the NIL amount. Remember, the university and football program pays nothing in NIL.

But… Heisman QB guru Lincoln Riley, Chip Kelley, and The National Champions determined that he was worth an NIL deal so they went out and got a package put together to get a visit. 

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why Auburn will NEVER be a serious championship winning football program. 

Or, that’s all a bunch of horse and we never really even had legit interest from him in the first place because our Oline stinks, we have no legit proven receivers and our offense just got done dropping a hot diarrhea for 5 straight games.

image.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 7
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, Crypto Dentist said:

So we lost out because we could come up with enough NIL money or was it was because of the Oline?

I think it depends on which thread you're in. 

It sounds like we passed on him because we didn't think he was good enough to justify spending that money. That's an important distinction that seems to be lost on some. "Didn't" doesn't equal "couldn't". 

It's interesting to watch folks melt down on a forum because they think any decent player should be able to name his price. Like I said elsewhere, this fanbase has gone full hysterical.

NIL and the portal seem to have ratcheted up the enthusiasm quite a bit, just like free agency did for the NFL. Truly a year-round endeavor now. 

With the basketball team doing do well and Suni Lee on campus, these truly are memorable times for Auburn athletics. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

In other words, he wanted an NIL deal of X amount. And Auburn’s coaching staff, in all of their QB evaluation experience looked at him and determined that he wasn’t worth asking businesses and donors to help foot the bill for the NIL amount. Remember, the university and football program pays nothing in NIL.

But… Heisman QB guru Lincoln Riley, Chip Kelley, and The National Champions determined that he was worth an NIL deal so they went out and got a package put together to get a visit. 

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why Auburn will NEVER be a serious championship winning football program. 

Or, that’s all a bunch of horse  and we never really even had legit interest from him in the first place because our Oline stinks, we have no legit proven receivers and our offense just got done dropping a hot diarrhea for 5 straight games.

image.gif

Now that's a stinky scenario any way you look at it.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Or, that’s all a bunch of horse  and we never really even had legit interest from him in the first place because our Oline stinks, we have no legit proven receivers and our offense just got done dropping a hot diarrhea for 5 straight games.

image.gif

Au Civil dropping the 🔨 

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is that a pacifier?

Kidding

I’m just laying out the scenario here. I didn’t provide any false information, that I know of. I’m completely fine at this point. I’ve come to terms with the situation. Do you have another side to this scenario that I didn’t mention? 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m just laying out the scenario here. I didn’t provide any false information, that I know of. I’m completely fine at this point. I’ve come to terms with the situation. Do you have another side to this scenario that I didn’t mention? 

U laid it out perfectly.  Tell it like it is.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Think this might be a little too far?

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let's see.

59 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

1. And this, ladies and gentlemen is why Auburn will NEVER be a serious championship winning football program. 

2. Or, that’s all a bunch of horse s**t and we never really even had legit interest from him in the first place

Yes. I do have another side, which is that we did have legit interest from him and then someone else gave him a better offer that was likely more than he is worth to us, and we will still be a serious championship winning football program at some point in the relatively near future. 

Yes, I think this is a pretty plausible third side I've presented.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Think this might be a little too far?

I mean if we are looking at guys that other programs have determined are worth big NIL deal and we determine they aren’t, then it’s kind of the truth, right. Same thing with coaches. LSU and USC went out and landed coaches from top 25 schools. Auburn always has an issue doing that. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let's see.

Yes. I do have another side, which is that we did have legit interest from him and then someone else gave him a better offer that was likely more than he is worth to us, and we will still be a serious championship winning football program at some point in the relatively near future. 

Yes, I think this is a pretty plausible third side I've presented.

I mean it’s cool that you think we will still get up to the level Clemson got to. I hope we do. But if we are going to low ball the best portal athletes we would have to have an absolutely stellar coach em up staff that can turn guys into winners. Maybe we do. But if you’re going to get outbid because you’re not willing to play the NIL game, you’re already behind the 8 ball. Caleb Williams is absolutely worth whatever Riley, Kelly, and Smart are willing to give him. Riley is proven to know how to evaluate QB’s. Harsin went out last season and evaluated Finley, and the offered him a scholarship. So forgive me, but I trust the former’s judgement way more, at this point. 

All the NIL crap reminds me of giving a starting pitcher a 250mil contract. Sure the idea is great and looks good on paper but more times than so it doesn’t work out

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean if we are looking at guys that other programs have determined are worth big NIL deal and we determine they aren’t, then it’s kind of the truth, right. Same thing with coaches. LSU and USC went out and landed coaches from top 25 schools. Auburn always has an issue doing that. 

IF it is true these other schools are willing to pay twice as much for Caleb as AU, then I agree it's a little disappointing. In this particular case. 

But I think it's fair to allow a little time for the NIL to shake out before declaring this is why AU will never win another championship. There is so much up in the air right now. And half of what we think we know is rumors. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean it’s cool that you think we will still get up to the level Clemson got to. I hope we do. But if we are going to low ball the best portal athletes we would have to have an absolutely stellar coach em up staff that can turn guys into winners. Maybe we do. But if you’re going to get outbid because you’re not willing to play the NIL game, you’re already behind the 8 ball. Caleb Williams is absolutely worth whatever Riley, Kelly, and Smart are willing to give him. Riley is proven to know how to evaluate QB’s. Harsin went out last season and evaluated Finley, and the offered him a scholarship. So forgive me, but I trust the former’s judgement way more, at this point. 

Okay, so that's way too much for me to unpack, so let's just focus on the Finley part. I want you to really think about that recruitment and what transpired after. Think about all of the variables. How much time did Harsin really have to find another quarterback? How many choices did he have? How much do you think he was really able to evaluate him? Do you think Bobo, who is no longer here, might have been involved at all? How much did we sacrifice by giving Finley that scholarship? What was Finley's impact on the team? Was it a wasted scholarship when he did in fact end up being QB2 and even won us a game that our starting quarterback would have lost us? Are you certain that he won't end up being a serviceable quarterback? Is he a bad kid? Is he a problem in the locker room? Why hasn't he already transferred if it is so clear that he is of no value to this team?

Not really looking for responses to those questions. Just promoting deeper contemplation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1