Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

6 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

All the NIL crap reminds me of giving a starting pitcher a 250mil contract. Sure the idea is great and looks good on paper but more times than so it doesn’t work out

Exactly! 

You know which NFL team has been famous for the last 20 years for not giving bloated contracts to rookies, free agents and veterans? The one who can't fit all the rings on one hand.

It's pretty crazy for folks to see another school spend that kind of money and just assume that we missed out on something that was actually worth that kind of money. Maybe we should go back and look at all the coaching contracts at all the big programs over the last 20 years, including our own, and see which programs we should have outbid for each coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean if we are looking at guys that other programs have determined are worth big NIL deal and we determine they aren’t, then it’s kind of the truth, right. Same thing with coaches. LSU and USC went out and landed coaches from top 25 schools. Auburn always has an issue doing that. 

If they have always been that way it’s no change.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Which makes him not a real possibility.

If the number mentioned on the donor side is correct, it is way too much to pay for him, at least at this time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

IF it is true these other schools are willing to pay twice as much for Caleb as AU, then I agree it's a little disappointing. In this particular case. 

But I think it's fair to allow a little time for the NIL to shake out before declaring this is why AU will never win another championship. There is so much up in the air right now. And half of what we think we know is rumors. 

With all due respect, it isn't just about Caleb Williams. It is about any situaion that Auburn finds itself in and the reaction to it. Auburn simply doesn't choose to operate in the same ways as it's rivals. It is why Auburn comes up short most times. Not being able to land Venables. Not being able to land Stoops. Not being able to land Caleb Williams. These are things that the Auburn fan base has come to deal with. It is why when things start getting stretched out on a situation, most think it will not work out for Auburn. If Auburn wants to compete on the big stage, it needs to start acting like it. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, so that's way too much for me to unpack, so let's just focus on the Finley part. I want you to really think about that recruitment and what transpired after. Think about all of the variables. How much time did Harsin really have to find another quarterback? How many choices did he have? How much do you think he was really able to evaluate him? Do you think Bobo, who is no longer here, might have been involved at all? How much did we sacrifice by giving Finley that scholarship? What was Finley's impact on the team? Was it a wasted scholarship when he did in fact end up being QB2 and even won us a game that our starting quarterback would have lost us? Are you certain that he won't end up being a serviceable quarterback? Is he a bad kid? Is he a problem in the locker room? Why hasn't he already transferred if it is so clear that he is of no value to this team?

Not really looking for responses to those questions. Just promoting deeper contemplation. 

I like TJ a lot. I’ve mentioned in another thread how deserving he is of a place on the team for the grit he displayed at the Iron Bowl. The point of my post is that if Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart are determining that a kid is worth a specific market value, there might be a problem if our coach doesn’t see that. Because Lincoln Riley is proven to know what the hell he’s doing with QB evaluation.

1 minute ago, Chaotic_zx said:

With all due respect, it isn't just about Caleb Williams. It is about any situaion that Auburn finds itself in and the reaction to it. Auburn simply doesn't choose to operate in the same ways as it's rivals. It is why Auburn comes up short most times. Not being able to land Venables. Not being able to land Stoops. Not being able to land Caleb Williams. These are things that the Auburn fan base has come to deal with. It is why when things start getting stretched out on a situation, most think it will not work out for Auburn. If Auburn wants to compete on the big stage, it needs to start acting like it. 

All programs have exciting rumors that don't pan out. The Auburn rumors stand out to us because we are Auburn fans and are paying so much attention. 

I don't agree with this woeful notion that Auburn isn't prepared or able to compete on the big state. The football team won a national championship 11 years ago and played in another 8 years ago. I know it feels like a long time ago to us, but it really isn't. Only a handful of programs have had more success in the same timeframe. 

And how about the basketball team? They should be #1 in the country right now. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I like TJ a lot. I’ve mentioned in another thread how deserving he is of a place on the team for the grit he displayed at the Iron Bowl. The point of my post is that if Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart are determining that a kid is worth a specific market value, there might be a problem if our coach doesn’t see that. Because Lincoln Riley is proven to know what the hell he’s doing with QB evaluation.

They may just have a great deal more NIL then we do.

33 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean it’s cool that you think we will still get up to the level Clemson got to. I hope we do. But if we are going to low ball the best portal athletes we would have to have an absolutely stellar coach em up staff that can turn guys into winners. Maybe we do. But if you’re going to get outbid because you’re not willing to play the NIL game, you’re already behind the 8 ball. Caleb Williams is absolutely worth whatever Riley, Kelly, and Smart are willing to give him. Riley is proven to know how to evaluate QB’s. Harsin went out last season and evaluated Finley, and the offered him a scholarship. So forgive me, but I trust the former’s judgement way more, at this point. 

I think NIL is covered by entities outside of the athletic department. Who is going to write a million dollar check for a player. Maybe big money people did not feel he was worth the asking price, no one truly knows. It’s not like Harsin has a blank checkbook ala A&M boosters gave Jimbo. I mean how much are any of us here willing to contribute financially to bring a player to Auburn…

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

They may just have a great deal more NIL then we do.

So basically whoever has more NIL money has the overwhelming advantage, unless another program is able to find a diamond in the rough, who they can somehow keep away from darting to the portal to go to a school with more NIL money. 

That’s a huge issue that needs to be addressed asap. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly! 

You know which NFL team has been famous for the last 20 years for not giving bloated contracts to rookies, free agents and veterans? The one who can't fit all the rings on one hand.

It's pretty crazy for folks to see another school spend that kind of money and just assume that we missed out on something that was actually worth that kind of money. Maybe we should go back and look at all the coaching contracts at all the big programs over the last 20 years, including our own, and see which programs we should have outbid for each coach.

I’ve said before $1 million is right around what the top assistant coaches in the country make. Could he be worth more than what nearly everyone on our staff makes, and just below what our DC makes? Possibly. But then we apparently have Offensive Linemen to “buy” too. At some point people have to understand that a 20 year old is always going to believe he’s more than he’s worth. Adults with a budget will have to weight that. Adults without one won’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I think NIL is covered by entities outside of the athletic department. Who is going to write a million dollar check for a player. Maybe big money people did not feel he was worth the asking price, no one truly knows. It’s not like Harsin has a blank checkbook ala A&M boosters gave Jimbo. I mean how much are any of us here willing to contribute financially to bring a player to Auburn…

I just got done saying in my first post that it’s not Auburn University paying the players. I completely understand that. But it’s Auburn that determines that a player isn’t worth going out and soliciting for NIL deals.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’ve said before $1 million is right around what the top assistant coaches in the country make. Could he be worth more than what nearly everyone on our staff makes, and just below what our DC makes? Possibly. But then we apparently have Offensive Linemen to “buy” too. At some point people have to understand that a 20 year old is always going to believe he’s more than he’s worth. Adults with a budget will have to weight that. Adults without one won’t. 

I agree with you that he’s probably not worth what his coaches make. I think this whole NIL thing has gotten f’ing ridiculous tbh. But other teams will pay that and if we are going play the we are smarter than the market game, I guarantee you it’ll be way harder for us to keep our head above water in the environment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You might want to double check every big time quarterback that those two coaches have offered, because you are effectively saying that this kid is worth 2 million dollars because Lincoln Riley said so.

He also probably would have offered Spencer Rattler 2 million if he were coming out of high school right now.

I wonder how it would have gone down in Athens if Kirby paid $2 million dollars for Justin Fields and then started Jake Fromm instead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So basically whoever has more NIL money has the overwhelming advantage, unless another program is able to find a diamond in the rough, who they can somehow keep away from darting to the portal to go to a school with more NIL money. 

That’s a huge issue that needs to be addressed asap. 

How?

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You might want to double check every big time quarterback that those two coaches have offered, because you are effectively saying that this kid is worth 2 million dollars because Lincoln Riley said so.

He also probably would have offered Spencer Rattler 2 million if he were coming out of high school right now.

I wonder how it would have gone down in Athens if Kirby paid $2 million dollars for Justin Fields and then started Jake Fromm instead.

I get what you’re saying but I never said we should offer 2 million to a freshman out of high school. And I’d be willing to bet those 2 coaches wouldn’t either. The difference is Caleb Williams has game film and everyone has a good amount of info to go off of when determining if he’s worth a specific value.

Kirby is not a QB guru plays Fromm over fields, Stetson over McDaniel's.  Lincoln Riley has had a bunch of good QB's so his judgement is valid. We are assuming our coached didn't think CW was worth that much but it might be our big money people didn't want to fork out that much.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just got done saying in my first post that it’s not Auburn University paying the players. I completely understand that. But it’s Auburn that determines that a player isn’t worth going out and soliciting for NIL deals.

Ok kool 😎 I am not in the position to say how Auburn is soliciting but I know the football staff is recruiting, so I guess that is somewhat soliciting. Maybe our checkbook is not big enough or willing enough to compete. I don’t think that lays at the foot of Coach Harsin but at the feet of our boosters, give this man some money.

Sounds like some posters need to pull out their NIL checkbooks and pony up.  If your gonna complain about Auburn not paying up … then start writing 6 and 7 figure checks … and you too can buy the players you want.

paying college players was always going to be a disaster for college sports.  The endless repercussions are just now beginning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

How?

What do you mean how? It creates an environment that allows only blue bloods and big markets to succeed. It creates an even more unfair advantage for those teams than they had before. A situation where even a team with money like Auburn can’t compete because a USC or UCLA has such a large market that they can afford to put together ungodly NIL packages that we can’t compete with. 

• Like 1

How many lesser players will get the starting job over a better player because booster x paid an ungodly sum of money for the lesser player.

When do we start seeing players calling out coaches because they are making more than the assistants.

Texas a&m will simply let it be known their oil field money will guarantee ever scholarship player a mil a year (said only slightly with tongue in cheek)

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I get what you’re saying but I never said we should offer 2 million to a freshman out of high school. And I’d be willing to bet those 2 coaches wouldn’t either. The difference is Caleb Williams has game film and everyone has a good amount of info to go off of when determining if he’s worth a specific value.

But what if others offer 2 mil out of HS?

Thank god the thoughts of 2 or 3 isn’t what the vast majority of our fanbase believes.

What a sad life to live. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

But what if others offer 2 mil out of HS?

Then if we choose not to we won’t be able to compete. It’s a free market. We either participate or we don’t.