Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well they paid me for 4 years but I guess you would have to ask my old golf coach

Is it past the statute of limitations as far as the NCAA is concerned?🤔

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’ve said before $1 million is right around what the top assistant coaches in the country make. Could he be worth more than what nearly everyone on our staff makes, and just below what our DC makes? Possibly. But then we apparently have Offensive Linemen to “buy” too. At some point people have to understand that a 20 year old is always going to believe he’s more than he’s worth. Adults with a budget will have to weight that. Adults without one won’t. 

Nearly all professional players make more and sometimes multiples of what coaches make.  They are the talent, not the WR coach in the sidelines

• Like 1

A lot of assumptions that the transfer guys are all going to the highest bidder, as if there are no other factors. Maybe this is true, but do we know it for a fact?

Isn't it possible Caleb, for example, would rather play in LA for his prior coach? So maybe he says I'll go to Auburn, but only if they pay me 2 million. If they will only pay a million, like USC has offered, I won't even bother with a visit. 

Who knows, just thinking out loud. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

A lot of assumptions that the transfer guys are all going to the highest bidder, as if there are no other factors. Maybe this is true, but do we know it for a fact?

Isn't it possible Caleb, for example, would rather play in LA for his prior coach? So maybe he says I'll go to Auburn, but only if they pay me 2 million. If they will only pay a million, like USC has offered, I won't even bother with a visit. 

The crap that has been posted on here the last couple weeks has honestly been ridicilous. People losing their minds over total assumptions and unfounded opinions. It amazes me how people keep getting up in arms over things they read on twitter and the like when over and over it is revealed as total bs. People just can't accept the fact that they don't know what's going on. It is what it is. I'm not losing sleep over it. I will just hang out in the basketball forum. This one has been overrun with pessimistic nonsense.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Nearly all professional players make more and sometimes multiples of what coaches make.  They are the talent, not the WR coach in the sidelines

I may be wrong, but I feel like there is a difference between, say the NFL and college football when it comes to paying athletes. Besides, in college, coaches are just as important as the talent. And if I’m a coach that sees a team paying even a few athletes $1 million, I’m gonna assume you can at least pay me that too. And if you can’t, I’d like to know why

2 hours ago, cbo said:

All programs have exciting rumors that don't pan out. The Auburn rumors stand out to us because we are Auburn fans and are paying so much attention. 

I don't agree with this woeful notion that Auburn isn't prepared or able to compete on the big state. The football team won a national championship 11 years ago and played in another 8 years ago. I know it feels like a long time ago to us, but it really isn't. Only a handful of programs have had more success in the same timeframe. 

And how about the basketball team? They should be #1 in the country right now. 

I do agree that we care more for Auburn and thus Auburn not hitting on rumors is forefront in our attention.

I don't beleive that Auburn will never be on the big stage again. I just feel that Auburn does more harm to Auburn than it's rivals do. I believe that Cam Newton made that national title team. I once thought otherwise but the facts have changed my mind. As we all know, Cam Newton had money rumors surrounding him. We are kidding ourselves if we think it was a clean situation. What do you think Cecil Newton would be asking for Cam's services today? That being said, Chizik and his staff identified talent and got it done. Look at the results. I don't think anyone could have known or predicted how that would eventually play out but it got done regardless. That is what I am saying Auburn needs to do now more than ever. Step up. Clemson wasn't what they are as a program just a short time ago. They stepped up and it shows in the results. It is all I want Auburn to do. 

Just now, Potatooooooes!! said:

I may be wrong, but I feel like there is a difference between, say the NFL and college football when it comes to paying athletes. Besides, in college, coaches are just as important as the talent. And if I’m a coach that sees a team paying even a few athletes $1 million, I’m gonna assume you can at least pay me that too. And if you can’t, I’d like to know why

Well, to the last part, the schools AD budget is paying athletes.  They aren't the ones paying coaches

35 minutes ago, cbo said:

Get out of here with this reasonable 💩. We want ridiculous speculation based on raw emotion

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, cbo said:

Isn't it possible Caleb, for example, would rather play in LA for his prior coach?  

No. His former coach abandoned him in the dead of night. 😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

Get out of here with this reasonable 💩. We want ridiculous speculation based on raw emotion

I completely get it if someone wants to put some little clues together and speculate on what might have happened. I'm all in; that can be fun. 

But using a couple rumors to come to the conclusion that AU failed and will never win a championship? A bridge too far for me. 

All we actually know is that Caleb went to USC, UCLA, and UGA. Maybe he went to Athens because he met a hot girl on Instagram who lives there. Maybe he thought it would be fun to visit the national champs. Maybe his dad or uncle or evil stepmom made him go. Who knows why the hell anyone does what they do? People are weird as s***. I know I've made decisions for odd reasons, especially when I was 20. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

I completely get it if someone wants to put some little clues together and speculate on what might have happened. I'm all in; that can be fun. 

But using a couple rumors to come to the conclusion that AU failed and will never win a championship? A bridge too far for me. 

All we actually know is that Caleb went to USC, UCLA, and UGA. Maybe he went to Athens because he met a hot girl on Instagram who lives there. Maybe he thought it would be fun to visit the national champs. Maybe his dad or uncle or evil stepmom made him go. Who knows why the hell anyone does what they do? People are weird as s***. I know I've made decisions for odd reasons, especially when I was 20. 

I feel like this post is about me. 

Let me clarify. I know absolutely nothing about what happened with C Will. I literally just regurgitated what our resident insiders were saying. Someone said he wasn’t interested and they said he was but Auburn didn’t want to pay him. I see problems with both scenarios for different reasons. That’s all I commented on. We either don’t want to pay the kid the money other people will, or we were willing and he didn’t want to come to Auburn. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I feel like this post is about me. 

Let me clarify. I know absolutely nothing about what happened with C Will. I literally just regurgitated what our resident insiders were saying. Someone said he wasn’t interested and they said he was but Auburn didn’t want to pay him. I see problems with both scenarios for different reasons. That’s all I commented on. We either don’t want to pay the kid the money other people will, or we were willing and he didn’t want to come to Auburn. 

Oh, it was definitely about you. But not only you. I assumed you'd see it and didn't mean it as a sideswipe or anything. 

Also, I like you fine and agree with you often. Don't agree with some of the jumps in logic. That's all. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

Oh, it was definitely about you. But not only you. I assumed you'd see it and didn't mean it as a sideswipe or anything. 

Also, I like you fine and agree with you often. Don't agree with some of the jumps in logic. That's all. 

I love this post for explaining a position to someone in disagreement without being nasty in anyway. Fairly uncommon on here anymore. Kudos to you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

Meh I haven’t really been super pessimistic until now. I’ve turned into a villain. I just can’t see how we are in a good spot offensively atm, like others can. I feel like our staff has failed miserably at improving our offense. And I’m really getting tired of watching guys like Derrick Hall sit on the sideline disappointed in loss because our offense can’t get its sh*t together no matter who is calling plays or HC’ing. It’s infuriating 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I love this post for explaining a position to someone in disagreement without being nasty in anyway. Fairly uncommon on here anymore. Kudos to you.

I agree. @cboyou seem like a solid dude and Norm McDonald is a legend, so I know you’re a winner.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

No Fecal matter Sherlock!

Been saying this since the NIL started.

AU got some decisions to make. How important is it to you?  Ready to pony up?

Any prospective players need a nice new pressure-treated deck on their momma's house?

Edited by EagleEye67
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, fredst said:

Thanks, man. You already know you're tops in my book. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Meh I haven’t really been super pessimistic until now. I’ve turned into a villain. I just can’t see how we are in a good spot offensively atm, like others can. I feel like our staff has failed miserably at improving our offense. And I’m really getting tired of watching guys like Derrick Hall sit on the sideline disappointed in loss because our offense can’t get its sh*t together no matter who is calling plays or HC’ing. It’s infuriating 

I'm also pessimistic about next season's offense, at least as it stands now.

And I share your disgust at watching the D put up another great performance, only to lose because of the O. The Iron Bowl still drives me crazy. It's insane what Mason and the D pulled off in that game. It's criminal they had to take the L. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree. @cboyou seem like a solid dude and Norm McDonald is a legend, so I know you’re a winner.

Bruce Pearl and Jack Black are also winners, so there we have it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So basically whoever has more NIL money has the overwhelming advantage, unless another program is able to find a diamond in the rough, who they can somehow keep away from darting to the portal to go to a school with more NIL money. 

That’s a huge issue that needs to be addressed asap. 

Okay, have you ever heard of this thing called the free market? Because in the free market, the demand sets the value. If the demand forces the value to go higher than a certain buyer is willing to fork over, that buyer falls out of the running. Whomever ends up paying for it gets the product.

Then, they get to see the product play out in its alleged capacity. If it does not perform up to billing, the investor gets angry, and likely doesn't feel as comfortable going so high next time.

On the other hand, if a buyer is led to an undervalued piece and makes the purchase, then that piece outperforms the investment, it is likely the investor is going to be more willing to invest in the next product they are led to.

In other words, if these players end up showing themselves to be overpaid, it's unlikely that the NIL contributors are going to be quite so giving of their money quite so quickly. On the other hand, if things are managed wisely, and a team is able to put a competitive product on the field while having (just to make it a round number) half of what the overpaid bunch ended up with, then those investors will be encouraged to support the decisions made by the people making the decisions.

Seriously people, it's not that complicated. Think with your brain and not your ego.

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Then if we choose not to we won’t be able to compete. It’s a free market. We either participate or we don’t. 

How ironic that you would mention the free market while showing no evidence of understanding how it works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Okay, have you ever heard of this thing called the free market? Because in the free market, the demand sets the value. If the demand forces the value to go higher than a certain buyer is willing to fork over, that buyer falls out of the running. Whomever ends up paying for it gets the product.

Then, they get to see the product play out in its alleged capacity. If it does not perform up to billing, the investor gets angry, and likely doesn't feel as comfortable going so high next time.

On the other hand, if a buyer is led to an undervalued piece and makes the purchase, then that piece outperforms the investment, it is likely the investor is going to be more willing to invest in the next product they are led to.

In other words, if these players end up showing themselves to be overpaid, it's unlikely that the NIL contributors are going to be quite so giving of their money quite so quickly. On the other hand, if things are managed wisely, and a team is able to put a competitive product on the field while having (just to make it a round number) half of what the overpaid bunch ended up with, then those investors will be encouraged to support the decisions made by the people making the decisions.

Seriously people, it's not that complicated. Think with your brain and not your ego.

Did you even read through the thread? I’ve literally been sitting here advocating for Auburn to participate in the free market and pay players what other people are. I’m making a point that we are likely going to have to take risks that we normally wouldn’t because the way this thing is set up, large market schools have an advantage. 

Just wondering.. if we offered CW 1 mil to come and play QB.. what are we offering the guys we already have here? Did TJ get a deal? What about the others? Or we will give a big deal to the starting QB? or are they waiting until someone wins the job? I would like to think that these guys are going to bust their tails to get better and win the starting spot and get in on some of that NIL money. I honestly have no idea how this NIL thing works and who gets what etc.. but if I were in the QB room and my coaches were offering big money to CW.. it sends a clear message to me.