Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

How ironic that you would mention the free market while showing no evidence of understanding how it works.

Point out to me one thing that I said that would indicate that I don’t understand how market value works. I have literally been sitting here constantly telling people that we have to “overpay” for players if everyone else in the market determines that the player is worth that amount, if we want to be competitive. I’ve been arguing with people who are saying that a players market value doesn’t matter. I think you just want to flex your economics muscles, but you’re flexing them on the wrong person, you dope.

• Facepalm 1

On 1/15/2022 at 3:29 PM, AUght2win said:

Actually you've got it very, very backwards. USC is a traditional power located in a talent rich, major market with very little competition.

The fact that they fell off for a decade is the fluke. They're likely back to top 5 finishes every year now. 

I am well aware of the history, but being a traditional power means absolutely nothing these days. I could list plenty of examples of this being the case. And like Clemson did this year, they will fall back off the map as soon as the newness wears off of Riley. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Did you even read through the thread? I’ve literally been sitting here advocating for Auburn to participate in the free market and pay players what other people are. I’m making a point that we are likely going to have to take risks that we normally wouldn’t because the way this thing is set up, large market schools have an advantage. 

A lot of posters are complaining about us not offering enough money for certain players. I know you realize that the money has to come from nil deals. I am just wondering how much you are donating to the nil deal?

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Did you even read through the thread? I’ve literally been sitting here advocating for Auburn to participate in the free market and pay players what other people are. I’m making a point that we are likely going to have to take risks that we normally wouldn’t because the way this thing is set up, large market schools have an advantage. 

Please read through my entire post before you start chastising me about participation in the free market. Following your advice would have had a person overpaying for stocks on October 28, 1929, and then losing everything when the market crashed the next day. 

Let the other bidders overpay. They aren't likely to see full return value. Meanwhile, Harsin is over here getting better deals that will pay out more than what was put in. That's called sound money strategy.

Money doesn't grow on trees. You went to Auburn, right? The Mises Institute is right by the original Momma Goldberg's near the the intersection of College and Magnolia. Maybe go there and learn a little bit before you start lecturing me about how we have to meet market value even when market value has been driven arbitrarily high.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, provibe said:

A lot of posters are complaining about us not offering enough money for certain players. I know you realize that the money has to come from nil deals. I am just wondering how much you are donating to the nil deal?

I’m not a company that stands to benefit from Auburn having a winning football program. So I will not be writing up 1 million dollar NIL deals. I do plan on donating to NIL Auburn, but as I understand, you don’t really have control of specifics yet. . Do you honestly think that we simply couldn’t get enough company’s to be a part of a package to get Caleb Williams here?

I’m absolutely not blaming the businesses in this. It’s their money. But I don’t think it’s about the businesses. It’s about the Auburn football program not having everyone moving in the same direction. Because it’s literally ALWAYS been about that. You guys act like Auburn hasn’t been dealing with this crap for years. 

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Please read through my entire post before you start chastising me about participation in the free market. Following your advice would have had a person overpaying for stocks on October 28, 1929, and then losing everything when the market crashed the next day. 

Let the other bidders overpay. They aren't likely to see full return value. Meanwhile, Harsin is over here getting better deals that will pay out more than what was put in. That's called sound money strategy.

Money doesn't grow on trees. You went to Auburn, right? The Mises Institute is right by the original Momma Goldberg's near the the intersection of College and Magnolia. Maybe go there and learn a little bit before you start lecturing me about how we have to meet market value even when market value has been driven arbitrarily high.

We don’t have to meet market value! But we won’t compete in this sport if we don’t play the game. Or rather, it’s going to be a lot harder to compete. 

Jesus Christ man. Look at Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama, Etc. You think these programs have a bunch of dummies running them and Auburn is the smartest kid in the room? You think all those oil lords at Texas A&M are incapable of economic strategy? 

Believe what you want to believe. Idgaf. But let’s revisit this in 2 years and see who is in a better situation between us and all those fiscally incapable schools who are pouring millions and millions of dollars into NIL. Save this thread. 

@McLoofuswe have always gotten along well, but I notice that you’re hand to facing a lot of my conversations. I’m guessing you think that guys like @W.E.Dand I are jumping the gun and not giving Harsin enough credit. I value your opinion so let’s recap what I’ve been saying

our offense was criminally incapable at the end of last season, we need to upgrade and add players to be able to win next year, Zach Calzada is not a significant upgrade to Bo Nix, we had an underwhelming Oline class in 22, we have swung and missed on multiple Oline and WR portal guys, Auburn has a rich long history of undervaluing the idea of bringing in big names (coaches and players), we need to be willing to put together large expensive NIL deals to compete in college football today. 

That’s my take. Where am I wrong? Please tell me.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We don’t have to meet market value! But we won’t compete in this sport if we don’t play the game. Or rather, it’s going to be a lot harder to compete. 

Jesus Christ man. Look at Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama, Etc. You think these programs have a bunch of dummies running them and Auburn is the smartest kid in the room? You think all those oil lords at Texas A&M are incapable of economic strategy? 

Believe what you want to believe. Idgaf. But let’s revisit this in 2 years and see who is in a better situation between us and all those fiscally incapable schools who are pouring millions and millions of dollars into NIL. Save this thread. 

If you pay attention, we've been doing alright in the portal, too, without breaking the bank driving up the price for players we were likely never going to get anyway. And sure, save this thread. I'm laying out sound economic strategy while you're viewing the first couple of lines of my post and then foaming at the mouth because I don't agree with your analysis. But please, have at it.

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Here's the thing, though. Only certain people are making predictions that can be proven wrong, and Nilla isn't one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

If you pay attention, we've been doing alright in the portal, too, without breaking the bank driving up the price for players we were likely never going to get anyway. And sure, save this thread. I'm laying out sound economic strategy while you're viewing the first couple of lines of my post and then foaming at the mouth because I don't agree with your analysis. But please, have at it.

We know where both of you stand on this issue. There is no reason to keep repeating the same thing over and over. I value what both of you say. I see wisdom on both sides of this but it does not need to be repeated ad-nauseum.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We know where both of you stand on this issue. There is no reason to keep repeating the same thing over and over. I value what both of you say. I see wisdom on both sides of this but it does not need to be repeated ad-nauseum.

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

We’ve been doing alright in the portal on one side of the ball. So worse case scenario we have a good solid defense again, that constantly has to deal with losing because the offense can’t score. Like we’ve delt with since 2018. But like I said, let’s see how the “not going to compete for portal guys, because we are too smart” strategy works out. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

@McLoofuswe have always gotten along well, but I notice that you’re hand to facing a lot of my conversations. I’m guessing you think that guys like @W.E.Dand I are jumping the gun and not giving Harsin enough credit. I value your opinion so let’s recap what I’ve been saying

our offense was criminally incapable at the end of last season, we need to upgrade and add players to be able to win next year, we had an underwhelming Oline class in 22, we have swung and missed on multiple Oline and WR portal guys, Auburn has a rich long history of undervaluing the idea of bringing in big names (coaches and players), we need to be willing to put together large expensive NIL deals to compete in college football today. 

You've said a lot of other things, too, and tossed out at least one really unnecessary insult in the process. 

That said, in this post, one thing you're wrong about is speaking of the 2022 class in the past tense. And that's really important. That kind of says everything about how you're approaching the entire conversation. We've still got a couple months at least. You're very much melting down in a big way and you don't even know how the movie ends. 

I don't really need to go any further. You've already decided that Lincoln Riley was right to pay $2 million for a QB and we were wrong to not match it. Your entire reasoning for that is that he- like kirby smart, in your estimation, which I find borderline insane- has infallible quarterback evaluation skills.

I can't really argue against your certainty, whether it's right or wrong. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You've said a lot of other things, too, and tossed out at least one really unnecessary insult in the process. 

That said, in this post, one thing you're wrong about is speaking of the 2022 class in the past tense. And that's really important. That kind of says everything about how you're approaching the entire conversation. We've still got a couple months at least. You're very much melting down in a big way and you don't even know how the movie ends. 

I don't really need to go any further. You've already decided that Lincoln Riley was right to pay $2 million for a QB and we were wrong to not match it. Your entire reasoning for that is that he- like kirby smart, in your estimation, which I find borderline insane- has infallible quarterback evaluation skills.

I can't really argue against your certainty, whether it's right or wrong. 

What insult?

I get it what you’re saying and maybe we will bag some big fish before the fall. I can’t be certain that we won’t. You’re right. I disagree that I’m melting down. I’m simply commenting on the current situation. And the current situation is that all of those WR’s, Linemen, and Caleb Williams types that we have been interested in are going to other schools and not Auburn. Some of them, not even visiting 

I have never said that Kirby Smart was a good QB evaluator. I said Lincoln Riley was. Do you disagree? What Kirby Smart is good at is recognizing talent and getting it to his program. That’s provable at this point. Both of those guys have a proven track record of getting talented guys in their team and winning with it in the power 5.  Our coach doesn’t have as much.  That’s just a fact. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

our offense was criminally incapable at the end of last season, we need to upgrade and add players to be able to win next year, Zach Calzada is not a significant upgrade to Bo Nix, we had an underwhelming Oline class in 22, we have swung and missed on multiple Oline and WR portal guys, Auburn has a rich long history of undervaluing the idea of bringing in big names (coaches and players), we need to be willing to put together large expensive NIL deals to compete in college football today. 

I would say the “we” who exactly is the “we”.  I am all for Auburn being active in the NIL marketplace but who out there is going to decide when a kid gets a lucrative deal, especially those in the hundreds of thousands to millions. Do they cut the check because Harsin says I really like this kid, or do they offer the NIL based on who the booster or boosters like. You know Auburn boosters have a history for meddling, so it has potential to get messy. As for last season, as putrid as Auburn’s talent and depth was in certain positions they competed in every game, less UGA (second half anyway)  I never liked Bobo as OC, but his offense was serviceable enough for Auburn to compete even with the talent gap compared to rivals. The offense definitely slowed down when Bo got injured. TJ, was not the answer as he could not make plays consistently in the passing game for Auburn to win. If Bo stayed healthy we are looking at potential wins against USCe and Bama. (FYI did not mean to quote your post) 

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I would say the “we” who exactly is the “we”.  I am all for Auburn being active in the NIL marketplace but who out there is going to decide when a kid gets a lucrative deal, especially those in the hundreds of thousands to millions. Do they cut the check because Harsin says I really like this kid, or do they offer the NIL based on who the booster or boosters like. You know Auburn boosters have a history for meddling, so it has potential to get messy. As for last season, as putrid as Auburn’s talent and depth was in certain positions they competed in every game, less UGA (second half anyway)  I never liked Bobo as OC, but his offense was serviceable enough for Auburn to compete even with the talent gap compared to rivals. The offense definitely slowed down when Bo got injured. TJ, was not the answer as he could not make plays consistently in the passing game for Auburn to win. If Bo stayed healthy we are looking at potential wins against USCe and Bama. (FYI did not mean to quote your post) 

I’d like to know who “we” is too. That kind of circles back to my comment about Auburn never having everyone pulling in the same direction. I’d like to think that the staff would ultimately decide who is worth a lucrative NIL deal and then someone or someone’s hired by the University would go out and try to get a package put together by soliciting companies. No clue how they are actually working this stuff. I personally just don’t know if I trust our staff enough to determine that. I’m sure a lot of you guys do. But I tend to be more of a show me type of guy, and I don’t feel like we’ve been shown anything yet. 

• Like 1