New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

On 12/16/2021 at 1:23 PM, W.E.D said:

Anders tore his knee on his own, no need for Harsin to kick that kid senseless. 

Tore it on a play that shouldn’t have been needed.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Guest MustardSeed
6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Humans in general are growing bigger and taller with every generation due to better nutrition and availability of food in general. 

Maybe this kid will never get any taller, but that has not been the case with my son and his group of friends....two of them played sports for bama and one for Auburn and they ended up taller and larger in general than they were at HS graduation. 

I get that. But nutrition shouldn’t affect when growth stops as it’s related to puberty and the fusing of the growth plates once that’s done. So if people are continuing to grow later in life I’m wondering if we are somehow delaying puberty or extending it..potentially with hormones in food or something else. Doesn’t really matter, just wondering out loud

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Except you're too busy insulting me to even come up with a reason why he needs to quit now.

Don't worry, I won't be getting you so upset anymore.

Please accept my apology. It was never my intention to sound insulting. You are probably correct in that he won’t join the staff until after the season. My thinking was just that if they are out of the playoff picture in the next week or two and since he doesn’t currently hold a coordinator job for the Hawks, then maybe he would go ahead and resign and come on board. I see the point you are making, but I just don’t see it as burning bridges. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

maybe he would go ahead and resign and come on board.

My guess would be that it is contract related. Possibly some clause linking money to finishing contract, or something similar. He couldn't provide much for us in the way of bowl prep being that new, and this keeps Trovon available to recruit for us a bit longer.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

My guess would be that it is contract related. Possibly some clause linking money to finishing contract, or something similar. He couldn't provide much for us in the way of bowl prep being that new, and this keeps Trovon available to recruit for us a bit longer.

Good point. I do think he could be an asset for the February signing period. Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I get that. But nutrition shouldn’t affect when growth stops as it’s related to puberty and the fusing of the growth plates once that’s done. So if people are continuing to grow later in life I’m wondering if we are somehow delaying puberty or extending it..potentially with hormones in food or something else. Doesn’t really matter, just wondering out loud

r

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Nutrition affects everything starting at conception.

Hormones in food are a part of that. They may actually cause early and prolonged puberty in some cases. That's why there's been a surge in hormone-free products in the last few years. 

I once knew a child who had serious problems with his vision and development because his mother was malnourished when she became pregnant, and unfortunately she did not eat properly during the pregnancy and did not take her pre-natal vitamins. She was also a smoker which further robbed the baby of oxygen and nutrients in utero. He was extremely small for his age and was only 4 pounds at birth although he was full term. 

"You are what you eat" is an old saying that happens to be very true. 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:17 PM, Brad_ATX said:

They are only one game out of the final playoff spot.

Seems like the Seahawks should be function just fine with a QB coach for a couple weeks. 

Its a league rule, not a decision by the Seahawks.  

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah he's got a contract to finish the season. He's not going to burn that NFL bridge and quit 3 weeks before it's over.

Everyone involved understands that

• Thanks 1

Auburn officially hires Austin Davis as new offensive coordinator

ByJASON CALDWELL 5 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

Bryan Harsin on freshman QB Dematrius Davis

AUBURN, Alabama—The search for Auburn’s new offensive coordinator is officially over with the announcement on Saturday that Coach Bryan Harsin has tabbed former NFL quarterback and current Seattle Seahawks assistant Austin Davis to take over for the 2022 season.

"From the first conversation I had with Austin, you could just feel his passion for coaching and teaching the game," Harsin said. "He's spent the past 10 years as a player or coach in the NFL, bringing that experience from the highest level into our offensive and quarterback rooms. He's learned and been around some of the best in the business and has been on an upward trajectory since joining the coaching ranks. We can't wait to get him teamed up with the rest of our staff."

Playing at Southern Miss and setting passing records for the Golden Eagles during his time in Hattiesburg, Davis turned down Major League Baseball to pursue a football career and it turned into a good decision.  For his career, Davis threw for 10,892 yards 83 touchdowns with 27 interceptions. All that came after he walked on, receiving a scholarship following his first season with the program.

In seven years in the NFL, he started 10 of 16 career games played for St. Louis, Cleveland, Denver, Seattle and Tennessee, completing 236 of 378 passes for 2,548 yards, with 13 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. His best season came in 2014 with the St. Louis Rams when he started eight games, throwing for 2,001 yards and 12 touchdowns with nine interceptions.

Since 2019, Davis has worked with the Seahawks and moved into the role of quarterback coach prior to the 2020 season. 

He heads to Auburn with the Tigers looking to add to the offense, coming off a disappointing 6-6 year in Harsin’s first on the Plains.

"I'm honored and privileged to be the next Offensive Coordinator at Auburn University and to be a part of an elite staff led by Coach Harsin," Davis said. "Being born and raised in Mississippi, you know very well what SEC football is all about and I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity that is before me. I've been very fortunate to work for one of the best organizations in all of sports and would like to extend a special thanks to Pete Carroll and John Schneider for believing in me as a young coach. I can't wait to get down to the Plains and get to work. War Eagle, y'all."

Auburn will take on Houston in the Birmingham Bowl on Dec. 28. The Tigers are without three-year starting quarterback Bo Nix, who was injured against Mississippi State and has since entered the transfer portal. T.J Finley is expected to get the start for Auburn against the Cougars with true freshman Dematrius Davis also in the mix for playing time. 

2COMMENTS

Davis is expected to have both Finley and Davis back in the spring along with 4-star signee Holden Geriner. The Tigers are also expected to look for an additional quarterback in the transfer portal before the 2022 season.

More to come…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Russell Wilson: Auburn's Austin Davis 'an amazing teacher of the game'

ByNATHAN KING 8 minutes ago

Bowl Game Expert Picks: Utah State vs. Oregon State

beaverspic-00-00-01-27-still001.jpg

New Auburn offensive coordinator Austin Davis doesn't have an extensive resume of coaching experience, but in his short time in the industry, he's earned the respect of some of the top names in the sport.

On Saturday afternoon, Auburn made the hire of Davis, who spent one year as the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach, official. The 32-year-old is Bryan Harsin's pick to be the program's fifth offensive coordinator in six years, replacing Mike Bobo, who was fired after one season. Davis will also coach QBs at Auburn.

After a seven-year NFL career, in which he started 10 games, Davis was quickly promoted from Seahawks assistant quarterbacks coach last year, being named the youngest full-time position coach in the NFL by Pete Carroll heading into the 2020 season.

"Austin is going to show that he is one of the bright young minds in the game," Carroll said Saturday, in a release from Auburn. "He's been able to transition from player to coach unlike anybody I've ever seen. It was just so smooth for him, and he's been thinking like a coach for a long time, obviously because he was able to capture the role. Russ (Wilson) thinks the world of him, (Seahawks offensive coordinator Shane Waldron) thinks the world of him, and I do too because he is really, really good at what he does. He is going to really be a big benefit to their program."

In Seattle, Davis worked with star quarterback Russell Wilson, who last season earned his eighth Pro Bowl appearance, completing a career-high 68.8% of his passes, throwing a career-high 40 touchdowns and surpassing 4,000 yards for the fourth time in his career.

"I think Austin is going to be a brilliant offensive coordinator and potential head coach one day," Wilson said Saturday, in a release from Auburn. "He has a passion for the game, number one. Number two, he's got an understanding of the game as he's played the position at the highest level in the National Football League. And three, he's an amazing teacher. He's an amazing teacher of the game. He keeps it simple in terms of relaxing the quarterback's mind. He'll be an amazing coach at Auburn."

A Mississippi native, Davis threw for nearly 11,000 yards and 83 touchdowns at Southern Miss, where he was a first team All-Conference USA selection twice from 2008-11.

"What a great hire by Bryan Harsin and Auburn," said Larry Fedora, Davis' head coach at Southern Miss, in a release from Auburn. "Austin Davis is a tireless worker who will be innovative in his offensive approach. He has that 'it' factor as a leader and mentor everyone wants. Austin is an overachiever in everything he attacks, whether that's being a walk-on quarterback and leading his team to a conference championship or being an undrafted free agent in the NFL only to prove folks wrong and play seven years at the highest level. I know his character, his knack for developing strong relationships and the quality of his work on the offensive side of the ball. Austin will make Auburn fans proud."

Added Blake Anderson, Davis' offensive coordinator at Southern Miss: "Austin Davis is an amazing hire for Bryan Harsin and the Auburn football program. His path from four-year starter and Conference USA champion as a walk-on quarterback at Southern Miss, to a starter in the NFL, tells you all you need to know about his work ethic, competitive drive, and passion for the game. I have watched Austin grow in this profession since retiring as a player and those same traits have only been magnified as a coach. He will do an outstanding job as an offensive coordinator at this level."

Davis takes over an Auburn offense that was 10th in the SEC in both yards per play and scoring offense under Bobo. In the quarterbacks room, Davis will help Harsin work through Auburn's first true quarterback competition since 2019, after three-year starter Bo Nix entered the transfer portal earlier this week. After signing day, Auburn has three contenders currently on its roster — LSU transfer T.J. Finley, four-star freshman Dematrius Davis and four-star incoming transfer Holden Geriner — and will likely peruse the transfer portal for additional options.

"Being born and raised in Mississippi, you know very well what SEC football is all about," Davis said. "And I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity that is before me."

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

New Auburn offensive coordinator Austin Davis doesn't have an extensive resume of coaching experience, but in his short time in the industry, he's earned the respect of some of the top names in the sport.

On Saturday afternoon, Auburn made the hire of Davis, who spent one year as the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach, official. The 32-year-old is Bryan Harsin's pick to be the program's fifth offensive coordinator in six years, replacing Mike Bobo, who was fired after one season. Davis will also coach QBs at Auburn.

After a seven-year NFL career, in which he started 10 games, Davis was quickly promoted from Seahawks assistant quarterbacks coach last year, being named the youngest full-time position coach in the NFL by Pete Carroll heading into the 2020 season.

"Austin is going to show that he is one of the bright young minds in the game," Carroll said Saturday, in a release from Auburn. "He's been able to transition from player to coach unlike anybody I've ever seen. It was just so smooth for him, and he's been thinking like a coach for a long time, obviously because he was able to capture the role. Russ (Wilson) thinks the world of him, (Seahawks offensive coordinator Shane Waldron) thinks the world of him, and I do too because he is really, really good at what he does. He is going to really be a big benefit to their program."

In Seattle, Davis worked with star quarterback Russell Wilson, who last season earned his eighth Pro Bowl appearance, completing a career-high 68.8% of his passes, throwing a career-high 40 touchdowns and surpassing 4,000 yards for the fourth time in his career.

"I think Austin is going to be a brilliant offensive coordinator and potential head coach one day," Wilson said Saturday, in a release from Auburn. "He has a passion for the game, number one. Number two, he's got an understanding of the game as he's played the position at the highest level in the National Football League. And three, he's an amazing teacher. He's an amazing teacher of the game. He keeps it simple in terms of relaxing the quarterback's mind. He'll be an amazing coach at Auburn."

A Mississippi native, Davis threw for nearly 11,000 yards and 83 touchdowns at Southern Miss, where he was a first team All-Conference USA selection twice from 2008-11.

"What a great hire by Bryan Harsin and Auburn," said Larry Fedora, Davis' head coach at Southern Miss, in a release from Auburn. "Austin Davis is a tireless worker who will be innovative in his offensive approach. He has that 'it' factor as a leader and mentor everyone wants. Austin is an overachiever in everything he attacks, whether that's being a walk-on quarterback and leading his team to a conference championship or being an undrafted free agent in the NFL only to prove folks wrong and play seven years at the highest level. I know his character, his knack for developing strong relationships and the quality of his work on the offensive side of the ball. Austin will make Auburn fans proud."

Added Blake Anderson, Davis' offensive coordinator at Southern Miss: "Austin Davis is an amazing hire for Bryan Harsin and the Auburn football program. His path from four-year starter and Conference USA champion as a walk-on quarterback at Southern Miss, to a starter in the NFL, tells you all you need to know about his work ethic, competitive drive, and passion for the game. I have watched Austin grow in this profession since retiring as a player and those same traits have only been magnified as a coach. He will do an outstanding job as an offensive coordinator at this level."

Davis takes over an Auburn offense that was 10th in the SEC in both yards per play and scoring offense under Bobo. In the quarterbacks room, Davis will help Harsin work through Auburn's first true quarterback competition since 2019, after three-year starter Bo Nix entered the transfer portal earlier this week. After signing day, Auburn has three contenders currently on its roster — LSU transfer T.J. Finley, four-star freshman Dematrius Davis and four-star incoming transfer Holden Geriner — and will likely peruse the transfer portal for additional options.

"Being born and raised in Mississippi, you know very well what SEC football is all about," Davis said. "And I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity that is before me."

Just curious how Harsin got his name to interview him? DId he know him at all or get a recommendation from someone Harsin really listens to?

HE seemed to come out of nowhere. 

Just now, steeleagle said:

Just curious how Harsin got his name to interview him? DId he know him at all or get a recommendation from someone Harsin really listens to?

I agree his name just popped up out of nowhere but if I know CBH he had someone he trusted  in his ear with, hopefully, a great deal of knowledge about the guy.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

When openings come up on teams, coaches contact schools all the time.   I’m sure Davis had his agent reach out to Harsin to let him know that he was interested.  

Just now, aubaseball said:

When openings come up on teams, coaches contact schools all the time.   I’m sure Davis had his agent reach out to Harsin to let him know that he was interested.  

That was more of where I was thinking.

Especially when he said he wanted to get back to the south, in his comments, and I also would say that Seattle and Carroll(who is 70), may be in a transition phase for coach and or staff. It may be the right time to get out get this type of position on Davis' resume.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That was more of where I was thinking.

Especially when he said he wanted to get back to the south, in his comments, and I also would say that Seattle and Carroll(who is 70), may be in a transition phase for coach and or staff. It may be the right time to get out get this type of position on Davis' resume.

Agree.  He can make a name for himself if everything goes in the right direction.   I hope it does.   Sounds like someone that you can root for as a person 

42 minutes ago, toddc said:

That’s a heck of a write up to to show to recruits. Especially QBs. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Swore I read similar or connected agents somewhere along the way