Post-ENSD Recap and What's Next

Zeek

47 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

200w.gif.ddb1cfb82734eb5aa2957d8a600750f1.gif

I can only guess.

Imagine thinking it better to double down on stupid rather than just admitting to a meaningless and understandable misstatement. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, McLoofus said:

Maybe it will be a good hire.

Maybe it will not be a good hire. 

This is the level of analysis that puts this forum above the rest

• Haha 3

For both the nay-sayers and the sunshine pumpers it is very important to look at the big picture of recruiting for this year. This was phase one it appears with the addition of M'Ba we have moved up to 13th so far and we addressed some immediate needs but we still have some areas that need work.

QB - With Geriner we got a really strong QB but with Nix leaving the staff has to decide whether they think one of our 3 Finley, Davis, Geriner will be capable of leading the team next year or do we need a short term fix from the Portal.

RB - With Alston we will have 3 SEC Capable backs - Tank, Hunter, and Alton and we are still trying for Citizen who would be a really nice pick up - either way we are solid at RB for next year.

TE - we have multiple returning TE's plus Riley-Ducker we are in great shape here.

WR - We have added Fair speed, Kelley could be surprise of the class with combination of speed and size and Brown the big over the middle type receiver with great hands plus some returning WR's who started to show signs late in the season.

O-Line - Added Harris will be good for future and may have some other HS in late signing everybody agrees we need help in the Portal while hoping that some players like Smith, Zierer and others be ready. Some talk of Wright playing OT again.

DB - Homerun in the class with the JUCO and LSU flips plus possibly some help coming via Portal which was needed as we are losing people like McCreary.

LB- Woodyard was huge Powell (Possible LB or Edge TBD) - need at least one more as losing richochet rabbit - need Pappoe to return and Steiner, Riley to step up.

D-Line - Sledge, M'Ba, maybe Story and maybe a pickup in Portal  - We have a lot of solid returning players and will be adding people like Hunter and Robinson. Edge Rusher Hall was great this year and will be better.  Dylan Brooks may be ready to take next step on Edge.

So bottom line very solid on D still need another LB and need Story or somebody from Portal and maybe an Edge Rusher. On O may need a portal QB, will need O-Line both HS and Portal and Elite WR would be nice.

There are two more phases to this class one is late Signing period we find out if Story and Citizen will be in this class plus a couple of HS O-line for down the road development. Then last phase is Portal  where we need to fill in gaps especially on O-Line. Spring game may give us an idea of how many O-Line (people like Smith, Langlo, Irvin, etc.) are ready to play at SEC level because they will be playing against what I think will be a really good D-Line.  

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 12/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, Zeek said:

Whew! That was fun today. Don't expect me on the board much over the next week or two as I catch up on my actual work obligations and some family time. Before I take my little break here is a recap of what happened today and where we head from here in the recruiting class.

Letters-of-Intent Received (16) & Enrollment Date:

• 4-star QB Holden Geriner | January 2022
  • 3-star S Caleb Wooden | January 2022
  • 3-star WR Jay Fair | January 2022
  • 3-star TE Micah Riley-Ducker | January 2022
  • 3-star OL Eston Harris Jr.  | January 2022
  • 4-star CB JaDarian Rhym | January 2022
  • 3-star S Marquise Gilbert | January 2022
  • 3-star LB Powell Gordon | January 2022
  • 4-star RB Damari Alston | Summer 2022
  • 3-star PK  Alex McPherson | Summer 2022
  • 4-star CB Austin Ausberry | Summer 2022
  • 4-star WR Omari Kelly | Summer 2022
  • 3-star DT Enyce Sledge | Summer 2022
  • 4-star CB Keionte Scott | Summer 2022
  • 4-star LB Robert Woodyard | Summer 2022
  • 3-star WR Camden Brown | Summer 2022
  • 4-star DL Jeffrey M'ba | January 2022

~~~ 4-star DE Caden Story is still committed and is a Summer 2022 Enrollee there are conflicting reports on why he didn't sign ~~~

February Signees & Portal Players That Auburn is Still Pursuing:

• 4* OG Antavious Woody - FSU Commit who had to push back his singing due to concerns with his grades. This extra time can only be a good thing for Auburn considering we were trending as of late.
  • 4* RB TreVonte' Citizen - LSU Commit who chose to push back his recruitment. He likely wants to have more time to meet with Auburn's new OC and LSU's new RB coach. Auburn might actually be in the lead at the moment.
  • 3* OG Anez Cooper - Auburn just hasn't committed to making a push here. The staff is supposedly split on how they evaluate him. We will see what the new OC wants to do and if he brings a new OL coach with him. There is some talk we might get an ace recruiter to replace Friend and let Brad coach the X's and O's of the offensive line.
  • 3* OG/OT Jalen Farmer - Florida Commit. The staff likes him and he likes us. This is a battle between UF, Kentucky, and Auburn.
  • Oregon CB DJ James - Alabama native that Auburn is believed to be firmly in the lead at the moment. A big reason that Albert was "processed" so to speak.
  • 4* OT Julian Armella - signed with FSU after initially saying he would push his signing day back.
  • North Carolina LB Eugene Asante
  • Texas A&M QB Zach Calzada
  • Florida WR Jacob Copeland
  • 3* LB EJ Lightsey - Formerly committed to Florida. Auburn was in his top group before he chose the Gators. How interested Auburn still is will be a part of the question.
  • USC QB Kedon Slovis - reportedly our new OC's first target
  • 5* DL Shemar Stewart - we are in his top group but Texas A&M is the hands down favorite. Lots of work to be done here but there is time.
  • Albany EDGE Jared Verse - Auburn has offered but FSU might lead.
  • Oklahoma WR Theo Wease - staying at Oklahoma due to other schools being concerned about his academics
  • Virginia OT Bobby Haskins
  • Virginia OT Ryan Swoboda
  • Cornell IOL Hunter Nourzad
  • Harvard OL Spencer Rolland
  • Florida LB Mouhamoud Diabate
  • UNC LB Eugene Asante
  • Oregon DL Jayson Jones
  • TCU RB Zach Evans
  • Incarnate Word QB Cameron Ward
  • Vanderbilt WR Cam Johnson

Updates are in bold.

Transfer portal is impossible to really know much about and Keith is on vacation so typical recruiting updates are slow.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

For both the nay-sayers and the sunshine pumpers it is very important to look at the big picture of recruiting for this year. This was phase one it appears with the addition of M'Ba we have moved up to 13th so far and we addressed some immediate needs but we still have some areas that need work.

QB - With Geriner we got a really strong QB but with Nix leaving the staff has to decide whether they think one of our 3 Finley, Davis, Geriner will be capable of leading the team next year or do we need a short term fix from the Portal.

RB - With Alston we will have 3 SEC Capable backs - Tank, Hunter, and Alton and we are still trying for Citizen who would be a really nice pick up - either way we are solid at RB for next year.

TE - we have multiple returning TE's plus Riley-Ducker we are in great shape here.

WR - We have added Fair speed, Kelley could be surprise of the class with combination of speed and size and Brown the big over the middle type receiver with great hands plus some returning WR's who started to show signs late in the season.

O-Line - Added Harris will be good for future and may have some other HS in late signing everybody agrees we need help in the Portal while hoping that some players like Smith, Zierer and others be ready. Some talk of Wright playing OT again.

DB - Homerun in the class with the JUCO and LSU flips plus possibly some help coming via Portal which was needed as we are losing people like McCreary.

LB- Woodyard was huge Powell (Possible LB or Edge TBD) - need at least one more as losing richochet rabbit - need Pappoe to return and Steiner, Riley to step up.

D-Line - Sledge, M'Ba, maybe Story and maybe a pickup in Portal  - We have a lot of solid returning players and will be adding people like Hunter and Robinson. Edge Rusher Hall was great this year and will be better.  Dylan Brooks may be ready to take next step on Edge.

So bottom line very solid on D still need another LB and need Story or somebody from Portal and maybe an Edge Rusher. On O may need a portal QB, will need O-Line both HS and Portal and Elite WR would be nice.

There are two more phases to this class one is late Signing period we find out if Story and Citizen will be in this class plus a couple of HS O-line for down the road development. Then last phase is Portal  where we need to fill in gaps especially on O-Line. Spring game may give us an idea of how many O-Line (people like Smith, Langlo, Irvin, etc.) are ready to play at SEC level because they will be playing against what I think will be a really good D-Line.  

QB - The staff completely believes that Geriner will lead the team one day. I don't think that will be in his first year on the team. A portal quarterback is an absolute must here for both depth and hopefully a better starting option than TJ.

RB - We need one more back for sure whether it's a high school kid or transfer. Agreed that Tank, Hunter, and Alston are all SEC caliber backs. Auburn is in a very good position here and still thinks they are in the running for Citizen.

WR - What I'm hoping, and have hoped with the past few offensive coordinators, is that having a pro guy finally helps generate a smart passing attack. Obviously we have to get a consistent quarterback in place for that to matter as well. Auburn has talent at the wide receiver position and I think we have a true position coach now that can develop them. Kobe Hudson should be that guy moving forward and we need to spread the ball around to keep giving guys shots. Malcolm Johnson Jr has impressed me every single time he has been targeted. All that said, I would like to pick up a transfer WR.

OL - I don't think Wright makes the switch over to the offensive side of the ball. Dude is likely our starting NT if he has recovered completely from his injury. That being said, we have bodies that have been in the room for a while; the question is whether or not they have developed into serviceable starters. Hoping the rumors that Austin Davis will replace Will Friend are true. We have to get past this inept OL recruiting we have had for a while now.

DB - absolutely right we killed it here. Zac Etheridge has been turning some heads on the recruiting trail and Derek Mason is no slouch either in the living rooms. Not sure what we're going to do with 30 DBs but I'm excited to watch the cream rise to the top.

LB - I agree but it also feels like it's time to see some of the guys we have had on the roster step up. Steiner/Riley and others were highly touted guys that we haven't seen really show what they can do. Woodyard is legitimate once he's healthy. Agreed a portal LB with some experience would be nice.

DL - I think we're in a pretty comfortable spot here unless more guys leave early than I'm expecting. Feel pretty confident we keep Story, M'ba is a day one starter, Sledge will take some development but adds depth. We still have guys like Lee Hunter and Dylan Brooks that are ready to take that next step. Eason is one of our better developers in my opinion.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

QB - The staff completely believes that Geriner will lead the team one day. I don't think that will be in his first year on the team. A portal quarterback is an absolute must here for both depth and hopefully a better starting option than TJ.

RB - We need one more back for sure whether it's a high school kid or transfer. Agreed that Tank, Hunter, and Alston are all SEC caliber backs. Auburn is in a very good position here and still thinks they are in the running for Citizen.

WR - What I'm hoping, and have hoped with the past few offensive coordinators, is that having a pro guy finally helps generate a smart passing attack. Obviously we have to get a consistent quarterback in place for that to matter as well. Auburn has talent at the wide receiver position and I think we have a true position coach now that can develop them. Kobe Hudson should be that guy moving forward and we need to spread the ball around to keep giving guys shots. Malcolm Johnson Jr has impressed me every single time he has been targeted. All that said, I would like to pick up a transfer WR.

OL - I don't think Wright makes the switch over to the offensive side of the ball. Dude is likely our starting NT if he has recovered completely from his injury. That being said, we have bodies that have been in the room for a while; the question is whether or not they have developed into serviceable starters. Hoping the rumors that Austin Davis will replace Will Friend are true. We have to get past this inept OL recruiting we have had for a while now.

DB - absolutely right we killed it here. Zac Etheridge has been turning some heads on the recruiting trail and Derek Mason is no slouch either in the living rooms. Not sure what we're going to do with 30 DBs but I'm excited to watch the cream rise to the top.

LB - I agree but it also feels like it's time to see some of the guys we have had on the roster step up. Steiner/Riley and others were highly touted guys that we haven't seen really show what they can do. Woodyard is legitimate once he's healthy. Agreed a portal LB with some experience would be nice.

DL - I think we're in a pretty comfortable spot here unless more guys leave early than I'm expecting. Feel pretty confident we keep Story, M'ba is a day one starter, Sledge will take some development but adds depth. We still have guys like Lee Hunter and Dylan Brooks that are ready to take that next step. Eason is one of our better developers in my opinion.

Thank you I wasn't sure about QB. I agree we want another RB but if we don't get Citizen we have three SEC Caliber backs and the walk-on from last year who is a battering ram. I don't think we pick up another RB if we don't get Citizen unless there is another Hunter type everybody has overlooked. 

We basically agree on everything.  I am assuming that Davis won't arrive until after Seattle's last game on the 9th is that correct? That is assuming they don't pull off a miracle by winning last 4 games and another team losing all of its last games. Is he allowed to recruit for us via phone and other media while coaching Seattle?

Edited by AuburnNTexas

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not sure I understand your reference about Davis replacing Friend? Davis is going to be the QB coach, and Friend handles OL. How can Davis  replace FRiend?

Or are you talking about recruiting? 

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Not sure I understand your reference about Davis replacing Friend? Davis is going to be the QB coach, and Friend handles OL. How can Davis  replace FRiend?

Not replace him himself, but choose a replacement for him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Davis will be OC

Most OCs have some say in who they are working with. Plus, there has been talk about Friend leaving since he's tight with Bobo anyways and has under-performed in recruiting compared to his peers.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Davis will be OC

Most OCs have some say in who they are working with. Plus, there has been talk about Friend leaving since he's tight with Bobo anyways and has under-performed in recruiting compared to his peers.

Thanks. I realize reading, I just misunderstood the original post.

But it is a strange situation with the Bobo/Friend hire/fire. Bobo and Friend had no clue they would be out after 1 year. To have jobs at SC and then switch over to us, and then be out of a job must be a little shocking to them.

And I agree, I haven't seen anything this past year to show Friend had any recruiting success.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

But it is a strange situation with the Bobo/Friend hire/fire. Bobo and Friend had no clue they would be out after 1 year. To have jobs at SC and then switch over to us, and then be out of a job must be a little shocking to them.

And I agree, I haven't seen anything this past year to show Friend had any recruiting success.

If the new OC wants to bring in a new O-Line coach who is a great recruiter it would need to be a coach who already has relationships with the 2023 O-Line class. I know Friend brought a lot of them to Auburn this year to get to know the program from the numbers he brought in they seemed to like their initial impression of Auburn and with our lack of quality depth we can't afford a new coach who has to start the relationship game all over from square one. 

I don't know if Friend is great recruiter but I saw improvement from existing players this year and I saw a lot of 2023 players visit Auburn under Friend as opposed to the past where  we seemed to only concentrate on the stud types until we realized we were not going to get them then we tried to play catch up.  Friend got us Colby last year and got Garner Langlo. This year we got Harris and had Bobo until his dad was terminated and we look good for Farmer and could get Cooper as a project. 

If they feel that we can pull in a great 2023 O-Line class with another O-line coach I will support them but as so many have said relationships count. I am 50/50 as to whether replacing Friend would be good or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It would be surprising to me if they did not at least have a hint that might happen (already for Bobo, potentially for Friend). They both been in this line of work for a long time. They both also chose to walk away from USCe in order to better themselves. They realize it’s a business decision for Harsin, just like it was for them. No idea if it really happens to Friend.

Edited by Hank2020

I've been saying OL recruiting took a big hit with the Bobo firing. Most recruits assumed or have been told Friend was a lame duck OL coach. Not much CWF could do.