Athletic Director - Allen Greene

AuburnNTexas

I keep hearing little dings against Allen Greene.  It is like people want to bite off their nose to spite their face. Lets look at what he has accomplished since he has arrived.

Coaches Hired:

Harsin - He had to face down the money men to get Harsin

Wochurmurka - Swimming and Diving are rebounding under this hire

Crouch - Bringing up woman's volleyball from the depth of the SEC - Recruiting is strong

Harris- Woman's basketball starting to play like you would expect an Auburn team to play like. With a strong recruiting class comin in. 

Every hire has been well thought out and all look like they are bringing Auburn back to where we want them to be.

Football Performance Center being built - I know some will say that other people did it behind the scenes but without Athletic Directors support it wouldn't happen. 

He is getting hit on for cost cutting measures he implemented and most including me did not like.  The problem is the President of the University at that time told him to do it. What choice did he have.

Some say he is learning on the job and this job is to big for him. Every great leader learns on the job and gets better at their weak areas.  I hate to say it but most of the talk against him is two fold:

One - He stood up to the money men when he hired Harsin.

Two - He is black and while I hate to say it there are still vestiges of racism ongoing in this country. Some of the Good Old Boys don't want a black man at the top.

This last statement was hard for me. I am against things like CRT and people saying White people are oppressors and that Blacks are the oppressed as I have seen so much improvement in this country in my 70 years. Like I said there has been a huge improvement but that doesn't mean there isn't room for more. 

• Like 3

I have no issues with him but I think Swimming is still unclear (recruiting is definitely down and we lost a top signee because of the coaching change (Jr Team USA swimmer who is having a great FR season at UGA) + I keep hearing that Bruce is not getting all the resources he needs to be successful (e.g. Basketball Performance Facility). Basketball should be our top priority now (esp with the FB Performance Facility under construction (great achievement) and NCAA sanctions mostly resolved).

Edited by AUreo

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, AUreo said:

I have no issues with him but I think Swimming is still unclear (recruiting is definitely down and we lost a top signee because of the coaching change (Jr Team USA swimmer who is having a great FR season at UGA) + I keep hearing that Bruce is not getting all the resources he needs to be successful (e.g. Basketball Performance Facility). Basketball should be our top priority now (esp with the FB Performance Facility under construction (great achievement) and NCAA sanctions mostly resolved).

It appears basketball performance facility is in the plans now. Not approved but I think the year we are having is making it possible. As for swimming recruiting we recently signed a swimmer on women's team from Russia.   As to losing a recruit when he was just hired that is fairly normal. This years men's and women's team are much improved over last year our 19th rated men's team just beat bama's 13th rated men's team and our women's team lost in a close meet to bama's 8th rated women's team.

I realize many of the swimmers are previous coaches but we have not been this highly rated in a long time. Lets see in a couple years if we keep moving on up.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1