Trovon Reed for wr coach right?

eagle12

• eagle12 changed the title to Trovon Reed for wr coach right?

Guest MustardSeed

I don’t know the rules but it’s been said that he can still be a recruiter as an off the field coach as long as we make an on the field coach not an on the road recruiter and he fills the spot. 

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t know the rules but it’s been said that he can still be a recruiter as an off the field coach as long as we make an on the field coach not an on the road recruiter and he fills the spot. 

Cough Bert Cough

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I love Trovon, but he’s the last Auburnian I want teaching receivers how to catch 

Is there reason that I am not aware of ?

Just now, eagle12 said:

He wasn’t a great receiver himself 

He also only played WR under Gus, and I don’t think he’s coached anywhere other than here, so I doubt he has much to add in the way of other WR intricacies 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He also only played WR under Gus, and I don’t think he’s coached anywhere other than here, so I doubt he has much to add in the way of other WR intricacies 

Was Kiesau a great receiver?

Guest MustardSeed
9 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Was Kiesau a great receiver?

Small school college qb…although he probably, as a qb elsewhere, had the benefit of having to know everyone’s routes on a real offense and has now been coaching offenses for over 20 years. Doesn’t prove Reed couldn’t do it, but some more time learning the ins and outs of real route trees would almost certainly help him and Kiesau is definitely more qualified 

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Couldn't be worse than DC right?

🙊!!!

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Kodi Burns wasn't a great WR but he appears to be a solid coach. That's all I've got. 

Obviously it doesn’t take being a great player to make a great coach. Many were never players.

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Kodi Burns wasn't a great WR but he appears to be a solid coach. That's all I've got. 

He appears to be an incredible recruiter, we don’t know anything about his coaching WRs yet 

It would be asinine if we complained about how the receivers looked under one guy who didn’t have a ton of coaching chops (more than Trovon btw) but was supposed to be a good recruiter. We fire that archetype and then immediately rehire someone in the same mold???

• Like 2

You can teach someone x and o's. It's not a rare skill.  The personality that makes a great recruiter is not really teachable. And no coach can teach somebody who can't catch at the college level how to catch.  Trovon needs a place on the staff, but you can't just fire a good guy to make room either.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

So what is TReed’s path to becoming an on-field coach?  What position would he be responsible for and what needs to happen for it to be a reality?  What’s the likelihood of another program offering him a position?

6 hours ago, eagle12 said:

Because he was so bad at receiver he was moved to DB. Which, in fairness, TReed turned into a solid NFL corner. If the switch had been made quicker at Auburn, he might have been an all-time great in the secondary. 

I used to listen, alot, to Sportscall Auburn when I lived up north.  JJ Jackson had TR as a guest quite often over a coupla years. I was impressed by his love for and the energy he exuded for all things Auburn both University and town.  Coach? Don't have a clue, Auburn Man? YES.

• Like 1

Dell McGee at UGA is coaching RBs even though he was a college DB and Dameyune Craig is coaching WRs at TAMU even though he was a QB. They aren’t there because of their position nuance skills. They are there to reel in huge recruits. I hope we find a similar path for Trovon. His ties to Louisiana alone would make it worth it in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Nick Saban wasn’t an all American safety but he is regarded as one of the best coaches ever. 

8 hours ago, AUDevil said:

So what is TReed’s path to becoming an on-field coach?  What position would he be responsible for and what needs to happen for it to be a reality?  What’s the likelihood of another program offering him a position?

I would think he continues to learn and grow into a Coach and will be promoted once others move on.  

Not saying this is happening, but as an example...

In another year or two, after learning under Mason(phenomenal teacher), Mason takes a DC position elsewhere, Zac takes over safeties, Reed takes Corners, and Watts or Schmedding becomes DC (I prefer Watts).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I would think he continues to learn and grow into a Coach and will be promoted once others move on.  

In another year or two, after learning under Mason(phenomenal teacher), Mason takes a DC position elsewhere, Zac takes over safeties, Reed takes Corners, and Watts or Schmedding becomes DC (I prefer Watts).

Unless there is some massive consistency needs or Harsin is on a huge hot seat, I'd have to imagine we could attract much better talent

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me that is a perfect scenario learn from the best before being thrown into the fire.

• Like 2