Why so many defensive backs?

Zeek

So I've been going over the roster, last year's signing class, and the 2022 signing class and I wanted to tackle a discussion we have had.

We are losing or didn't actually get:

• Juwon Gaston - did not qualify
  • Kamal Hadden - transferred to Tennessee before the season
  • Ahmari Harvey - transfer portal
  • Bydarrius Knighten - exhausted eligibility
  • *Dreshun Miller - could use his additional year but he didn't see the field due to not meeting practice expectations. If he could somehow adjust and make up with the staff he has the ability to play power 5 football. This is a maybe.
  • Ladarius Tennison - transferred to Ole Miss after the regular season
  • Roger McCreary - NFL Draft
  • Malcolm Askew - exhauster eligibility
  • *Smoke Monday - could enter the NFL Draft or use his additional COVID year. This is a maybe.

That's 7 definitely leaving and 9 potentially gone.

Now we're replacing them with 5 players (including high school and junior college) not counting Donaldson who is likely Basketball only. This also makes sense why we're looking to take the Oregon CB transfer who started for the Ducks last season. If the staff can keep Monday and Miller (with an improved attitude) that would be a major win for the defense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How are teams that aren’t going thru HC changes doing at retaining players compared to us? I see Hall and Wooden “undecided.” We should not be having a mass exodus. Great that Tank and supposedly Pappoe are staying but still. 1/17 can’t get here fast enough.

44 minutes ago, au302 said:

Diamond and Reed seem like guys that may never contribute either. Can't have enough depth back there. Plus get guys that fit Mason

I think Reed will be a contributor, not too sure about Diamond yet.

• Like 1

Mass exodus?

• Juwon Gaston - did not qualify
  • Kamal Hadden - transferred to Tennessee before the season
  • Ahmari Harvey - transfer portal
  • Bydarrius Knighten - exhausted eligibility
  • *Dreshun Miller - could use his additional year but he didn't see the field due to not meeting practice expectations. If he could somehow adjust and make up with the staff he has the ability to play power 5 football. This is a maybe.
  • Ladarius Tennison - transferred to Ole Miss after the regular season
  • Roger McCreary - NFL Draft
  • Malcolm Askew - exhauster eligibility
  • *Smoke Monday - could enter the NFL Draft or use his additional COVID year. This is a maybe.

Huh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

Wait so Gaston didn't qualify a second time? 

That's not what he's saying. Read the OP again ."....last year's signing class,......."

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

That's not what he's saying. Read the OP again ."....last year's signing class,......."

Which means he should be in this year's class after going JUCO last year. We haven't heard a peep about Gaston.

5 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

Which means he should be in this year's class after going JUCO last year. We haven't heard a peep about Gaston.

I think Gaston is going to have to graduate from JUCO before he can qualify at AU. That's true for some kids whose high school grades fall below a certain level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUlurker said:

I think Auburn has moved on from Gaston. If you try and ask an insider about him they simply ignore the question and sometimes even delete the threads. Stinks but it happens.

8 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Just curious, but any insight to why Tennison left AU?   Latter half, he seemed to be playing more and getting better.  Oh well, the new college football, I guess

Not a clue. I'm assuming it could be tied to the shift in defensive scheme? Not really sure. Trimming the fat like Bird said.

D Miller - super disappointing bust so far.   

Maybe he can turn this around.