Gatewood and Morrow

LPTiger

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Yea his three seasons of success came with the three types. Just weird that for a guy that was nationally renown for his offensive prowess he couldn't figure out which type he operated best with. Caused a lot of guys to be poor fits and leave

It would surprise me if he really didn’t understand what gave him most potential for success in his system. I just think he couldn’t always wind up with those capabilities and just like Harsin being willing to use what he has, so did Malzahn.

I just realized I had a senior moment when I titled this post.   My mind was on "Harold" and Morrow came to mind instead of Joiner.  Different topic but Harold Morrow was a beast.   Back to this post, first on JG, how many real offers did JG have as a QB vs how many offers did he have where the coach thought I'll offer him as a QB but I am 90% sure I will move him to TE in a year.   I suspect Gus actually envisioned him being AU's QB1.   Several of you made good points that he did play at a really good HS behind a D1 QB.   Which brings me to Joiner, Joiner played at Mountain Brook and played behind a guy who didn't have D1 offers.   I've watched Harold play since the 6th grade.   Back then he was even more of a size mismatch relative to peers, and he still ran out of bounds whenever possible.   I guess we have all given folks chances thinking that some day the light bulb would come on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're right, he could've played any position...in HS.  This has nothing to do with Gus.

Gatewood could've been a perfect TE, similar to the Kelce, Kittle, Graham, Gonzalez, Hernandez type. He would've made our O much more dynamic.

Cj Uzomah

Thank you BB............everytime I almost remember Obamanu came entering my spacious cranium....I was only a good 15 or so years off😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I just realized I had a senior moment when I titled this post.   My mind was on "Harold" and Morrow came to mind instead of Joiner.  Different topic but Harold Morrow was a beast.   Back to this post, first on JG, how many real offers did JG have as a QB vs how many offers did he have where the coach thought I'll offer him as a QB but I am 90% sure I will move him to TE in a year.   I suspect Gus actually envisioned him being AU's QB1.   Several of you made good points that he did play at a really good HS behind a D1 QB.   Which brings me to Joiner, Joiner played at Mountain Brook and played behind a guy who didn't have D1 offers.   I've watched Harold play since the 6th grade.   Back then he was even more of a size mismatch relative to peers, and he still ran out of bounds whenever possible.   I guess we have all given folks chances thinking that some day the light bulb would come on. 

Yes sir he was.........spent a good many years in the NFL if my memory is correct........many years before we had a beast on D I believe was Corey Barlow.

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I just realized I had a senior moment when I titled this post.   My mind was on "Harold" and Morrow came to mind instead of Joiner. 

Whew. I thought I was having a senior moment because I couldn’t remember who the heck Morrow was. I mean, no one else said anything and we all know how quick some are to correct a post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone watch UCF UF game tonight?  Gus brought in Gatewood at the goal line to run the Tebow jump pass.  Gatewood’s pass to Nate Craig Meyers was………….incomplete.  Shocker

41 minutes ago, aublaise said:

Anyone watch UCF UF game tonight?  Gus brought in Gatewood at the goal line to run the Tebow jump pass.  Gatewood’s pass to Nate Craig Meyers was………….incomplete.  Shocker

Forget something? You failed to mention that UCF beat Florida, 29-17.

10 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Yes sir he was.........spent a good many years in the NFL if my memory is correct........many years before we had a beast on D I believe was Corey Barlow.

Harold Morrow spent 10 years in the NFL.  His Linked In page indicates he was voted a Team Captain on all 3 NFL teams that he played for.  He was from Maplesville, Alabama just like Tommy Agee.  Harold came back to Auburn and got his degree in 2011.   He now owns a marketing firm in Florida.   I just read an article about him on 247.   He said that on Friday nights CPFD made a point of going to every player and having a word with them individually.   The article ended with Harold saying "you couldn't help but love the guy."

• Love 1

20 hours ago, au302 said:

Gus's QB recruiting had no rhyme or reason. You had the big bodied freaks like Cam/JG. Then the true dual threats like Marshall, Malik, JF3, DD, etc. Then the pro-style era with JJ, Sean White, and Stidham. Then Nix who is a dual threat but really didn't run all that much at AU. Just made no sense. Like Gus couldn't make up his mind on what type of QB he wanted

I don’t think the type of QB matters that much. Only thing that matters is he talented or not. Saban, urban/Ryan Day, Hugh Freeze, Dan Mullen have made it work with any type of QB. 

On 12/23/2021 at 7:26 AM, augolf1716 said:

No disrespect but that is a terrible example. Gatewood is no Fullwood as far as talent

I kind of compared Fullwood's to the tasmanian devil. :tdau:

• Like 2

I loved Gatewood’s size and athleticism. Even more than that I loved his attitude and personality ( or reputation of). But I never saw anything that made me think of him as ready to be QB1. A contact I had a couple years ago who had direct contact with a player on the team told me that during that fall camp, that the competition for qb1 was not even close. Joey was way behind. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I loved Gatewood’s size and athleticism. Even more than that I loved his attitude and personality ( or reputation of). But I never saw anything that made me think of him as ready to be QB1. A contact I had a couple years ago who had direct contact with a player on the team told me that during that fall camp, that the competition for qb1 was not even close. Joey was way behind. 

Think back to those glorious days when Gatewood signed with Auburn. There was great euphoria among the masses here on this board. When some few irreverent souls dared point out that Joey couldn't even win the starting QB job at his high school, they were accused of heresy or worse, of being bammers who hate Auburn. Not much has changed since then.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:08 AM, bigbird said:

After 2 national championships, a #1 overall NFL selection, and a NFL MVP, I'd say he's proven himself as a QB.

JG...not so much

Actually 3 national championships. 2008 he won the Natty at Florida. 2009 he won the Natty at his Texas Junior College and 2010 won it at Auburn of course. I believe Cam only lost 1 game in his 3 year college career and it was in 2008 at Florida. Dude was a straight up winner!!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Think back to those glorious days when Gatewood signed with Auburn. There was great euphoria among the masses here on this board. When some few irreverent souls dared point out that Joey couldn't even win the starting QB job at his high school, they were accused of heresy or worse, of being bammers who hate Auburn. Not much has changed since then.

Well actually he was QB 2 at auburn. Goes to UK QB 3 when he leaves. UCF, he’s basically QB4. He’s not and never will be a qb. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 1:08 AM, bigbird said:

After 2 national championships, a #1 overall NFL selection, and a NFL MVP, I'd say he's proven himself as a QB.

JG...not so much

Whoa...Hot Sports Opinion coming in fast and hot.....

On 12/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, aublaise said:

Nate’s been around forever. Scored 4 of his 5 TDs at Auburn.

2DE40CF9-4600-4EF5-9C9C-8E04DD7D13B2.jpeg

• Like 1