Olineman in the Portal

twilli13

Anyone keeping track of olineman we are offering in the portal? As many have said on here, we absolutely must land a few really good run blockers in addition to a good qb. 

• Thanks 1

Mason Brooks from WKU, Nourzard from Cornell, the three from UVA, and Mettauer from California seem to be the main ones I have seen floated. I'm sure there's more I'm missing or that we don't know about

• Like 1

19 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Anyone keeping track of olineman we are offering in the portal? As many have said on here, we absolutely must land a few really good run blockers in addition to a good qb. 

OL in the portal: 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortalPositionRanking/?positiongroupkey=4

In addition:

HS OT offered- 33

HS IOL offered- 16

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2022-Football/Offers/

Edited by IronMan70
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Supposedly Cole Pinkston knows who it is as well 🤷‍♂️

Please be that Cali. guard we were talking about yesterday.... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Please be that Cali. guard we were talking about yesterday.... 

I’m really thinking we land 3 OL from the portal. We can 1 second on our pass protection and it’s a completely different dynamic 

• Like 2

The plan has always been to use the portal as much as possible for good OL and hopefully get one or two HS this year. They were playing behind the deck on OL this year working on relationships for next year. Next year is the year for higher rated HS OL they will be fighting for. Hopefully it will work out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, aubie17 said:

How do we get an offensive line coach that recruits like Eason does with the defensive line? 

What's weird is Friend has always been known as a great recruiter, below avg coach

14 hours ago, aubie17 said:

How do we get an offensive line coach that recruits like Eason does with the defensive line? 

The Eason experiment would suggest we go find someone that played and coached Online in the NFL and who is a down to earth, easy to talk to, easy to get along with but nevertheless carries himself in a certain, confident way.   The Etheridge experiment would suggest we go find someone who played at Auburn, won a national Championship, was almost paralyzed and told he would likely never play again and who is down to earth, easy to talk to, easy to get along with but nevertheless carries himself in a certain, confident way.

29 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The Eason experiment would suggest we go find someone that played and coached Online in the NFL and who is a down to earth, easy to talk to, easy to get along with but nevertheless carries himself in a certain, confident way.   The Etheridge experiment would suggest we go find someone who played at Auburn, won a national Championship, was almost paralyzed and told he would likely never play again and who is down to earth, easy to talk to, easy to get along with but nevertheless carries himself in a certain, confident way.

Maybe the greatest OT to play the game?   kinda blends the Etheridge and Eason approach into one, amazing person..

and an Auburn man.  Too bad he is not coaching (today).   Hmmmm.

Edited by Beaker

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Maybe the greatest OT to play the game?   kinda blends the Etheridge and Eason approach into one, amazing person..

and an Auburn man.  Too bad he is not coaching (today).   Hmmmm.

Interesting. I mentioned him in the thread talking about needing OL that were talented but also played with a mean streak. He was a great one….

• Like 2

16 hours ago, aubie17 said:

Eason and Ethridge seem like our best recruiters.

Idk how Eason can recruit so well considering hes never done it. Maybe he can teach our new OC how to speak to kids /yellow font

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

With a McDonald's bag...

No reason a Milo's bag can't hold cash

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Now everybody has McDonald's bags!

We timed that well.

JABA!

/sarc

Yeah, I bet Tenn was pissed they got nabbed the year before NIL (or two). I would be as well. 

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Yeah, I bet Tenn was pissed they got nabbed the year before NIL (or two). I would be as well. 

We had a player forced to sit out a few games this year for borrowing a car!?!?!?   That’s absolutely insane!!!  He could’ve signed an autograph and just been given the keys to keep, but borrowing it is illegal?🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
The NCAA is such an embarrassment!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We had a player forced to sit out a few games this year for borrowing a car!?!?!?   That’s absolutely insane!!!  He could’ve signed an autograph and just been given the keys to keep, but borrowing it is illegal?🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
The NCAA is such an embarrassment!

yeah, I forgot about that...

I suspect the SEC and Big10 have some talks ongoing to break away from the NCAA; once that happens, the house of cards called the NCAA will collapse and a new organization will replace it.   

Maybe you and I can run the compliance office.  My first program I will target - hmmmm.  Who likely cheats openly and unabashedly?  

Seriously, I think the NCAA's days are numbered. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

yeah, I forgot about that...

I suspect the SEC and Big10 have some talks ongoing to break away from the NCAA; once that happens, the house of cards called the NCAA will collapse and a new organization will replace it.   

Maybe you and I can run the compliance office.  My first program I will target - hmmmm.  Who likely cheats openly and unabashedly?  

Seriously, I think the NCAA's days are numbered. 

I think you may be right.   Big changes are in store, that is certain!   Yep, first order of business would be bama death penalty.   Second order of business, thuga severe penalties.   

On 12/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, JMassie11 said:

There’s gonna be a lot more after bowl season. We will be fine

That position group has been the achilles heel of the team for a few years now. Saying it will be fine is a stretch in my opinion. It very well may be fine in the long run but it is hardly a given at this point. While this coaching staff wasn't at fault for the decline of OL play at Auburn, they haven't proven it yet that they can be trusted to fix it within Auburn's program. I hope they do and as quickly as this cycle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

That position group has been the achilles heel of the team for a few years now. Saying it will be fine is a stretch in my opinion. It very well may be fine in the long run but it is hardly a given at this point. While this coaching staff wasn't at fault for the decline of OL play at Auburn, they haven't proven it yet that they can be trusted to fix it within Auburn's program. I hope they do and as quickly as this cycle.

The OL is arguably the position that takes the longest to develop talented HS players into SEC ready OL-men.  Playing in the SEC,  against opposing DLs - you are most assuredly playing against a man that is gonna get a great shot at an NFL training camp at least.    The portal will get some OL players, but let's be real, EVERY TEAM in America except a couple will always take a good OL player from the portal and a kid from a G5 conference is transferring to 'better program' in his mind.   

I say that to state what is often overlooked: we are still recruiting against OSU, Mich and our SEC rivals for OL men from the portal.   These portal players are hoping to catch lightning in  a bottle and hope where they transfer can lead them to a paycheck on Sunday.  

Auburn is probably 2, maybe three years from having a solid OL and any depth to replenish itself.   IF we can land a couple OL that are indeed experienced players and better than what we have. 

And we are trusting Harsin to fix what has been mismanaged since 2017.  There are no magic wands in anyone's bag of tricks.     This isn't like landing a key player and all is fixed...I do wish we been able to hire Matt Luke when he got fired from Ole Miss. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The OL is arguably the position that takes the longest to develop talented HS players into SEC ready OL-men.  Playing in the SEC,  against opposing DLs - you are most assuredly playing against a man that is gonna get a great shot at an NFL training camp at least.    The portal will get some OL players, but let's be real, EVERY TEAM in America except a couple will always take a good OL player from the portal and a kid from a G5 conference is transferring to 'better program' in his mind.   

I say that to state what is often overlooked: we are still recruiting against OSU, Mich and our SEC rivals for OL men from the portal.   These portal players are hoping to catch lightning in  a bottle and hope where they transfer can lead them to a paycheck on Sunday.  

Auburn is probably 2, maybe three years from having a solid OL and any depth to replenish itself.   IF we can land a couple OL that are indeed experienced players and better than what we have. 

And we are trusting Harsin to fix what has been mismanaged since 2017.  There are no magic wands in anyone's bag of tricks.     This isn't like landing a key player and all is fixed...I do wish we been able to hire Matt Luke when he got fired from Ole Miss. 

There is nothing you typed that I disagree with. Including Matt Luke. My point is and was that the current staff have no history with Auburn of landing good/great OL and developing them. So we can't just take it at face value that they will perform extrordinary. I hope that the current staff will get the job done. I will not be impatient within the process of improvement. I think some here are irrational but their concerns are valid. I feel it is too soon to be so aggressive with those concerns. That being said, I have no problems with people voicing them.