Olineman in the Portal

twilli13

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

There is nothing you typed that I disagree with. Including Matt Luke. My point is and was that the current staff have no history with Auburn of landing good/great OL and developing them. So we can't just take it at face value that they will perform extrordinary. I hope that the current staff will get the job done. I will not be impatient within the process of improvement. I think some here are irrational but their concerns are valid. I feel it is too soon to be so aggressive with those concerns. That being said, I have no problems with people voicing them. 

Yeah we see this the same way.    I think two things are a given in college football:  the most popular guy is the back up QB and fans are impatient.   I am in my 6th decade of life and pray for patience every day.    Not sure I am learning patience or I am just forgetting what I was thinking yesterday.

• Haha 3

On 12/30/2021 at 12:49 PM, au701948 said:

Just hoping that CBH and Staff are able to surprise all of us with the immediate needs we need at QB and OL during the next 4 or 5 weeks. Hard to be patient.

Some of us. Surprise some of us.

• Like 2

The problem is that it is slim pickens for QB and OLine in the portal. Going to need some back channel (probably unethical and I’m good with that-lol but in all seriousness) communications with some unhappy backups, or excellent talent evaluation of people that really don’t have much game film

25 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

The problem is that it is slim pickens for QB and OLine in the portal. Going to need some back channel (probably unethical and I’m good with that-lol but in all seriousness) communications with some unhappy backups, or excellent talent evaluation of people that really don’t have much game film

Its a little early to say that don't you think? All the bowl games are just now finishing up, and  Iexpect more players who are on bowl teams to go in the portal.

I  think they have till January 17 if they hope to enroll in school prior to spring practice?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Its a little early to say that don't you think? All the bowl games are just now finishing up, and  Iexpect more players who are on bowl teams to go in the portal.

I  think they have till January 17 if they hope to enroll in school prior to spring practice?

I hope you are right, and that makes sense. 2-3 big nasties and a bonafide top tier QB, maybe a solid WR would be just what the doctor ordered.  I hadn’t really thought about the timing but you are right. I still think our best hope is going to come down to a talented back up that does not feel that he is going to see the field fast enough, which is fine by me. Just a guess.  

• Like 1

I truly believe that we are in the catbird seat. Some talented offensive lineman or quarterback currently playing for a .500 mid-tier program that rarely gets TV exposure,  has the chance to (more than likely) start immediately for a quality SEC team? We have to be sitting pretty. Nice climate, pretty girls galore, great campus and family atmosphere, big-time exposure….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Wanya Morris AU bound?..👀

3D1D5728-9575-4B76-B03A-5516DA28ED50.jpeg

I saw this too. He posted some other comments referencing coming here too. I think he’s already transferred one time though. I believe he’d have to sit out a year. I could be wrong though. These rules get me mixed up. I wonder if it would make a difference if he was a grad transfer. 

24 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I saw this too. He posted some other comments referencing coming here too. I think he’s already transferred one time though. I believe he’d have to sit out a year. I could be wrong though. These rules get me mixed up. I wonder if it would make a difference if he was a grad transfer. 

Is this real???

Dumb question:   Can we host official visits for kids in the portal?   Like a full blown recruiting trip?   Or are they on their own dime?  I suspect they are on their own dime, but with NIL, surely there is a 'way around' for a radio spot or autograph...

Would be nice to bring down those southern born kids from the likes a frozen region to Auburn in Jan for a visit. 

If Morris is a graduate he won't have to sit a year despite the free transfer. Feels like this is them messing around. The other guy in those comments, Watson from Ga. Tech, is a corner. Supposedly DJ James is the guy we're going after there

Assuming Wanya is a grad transfer and could play next year he would be a huge get and go a long way to improving our O-line.  Right now we have three OT's Zierer, Colby and Coffee if he decides to take his covid year. Still waiting to hear what Troxell and Jackson will decide. Zierer actually looked pretty good. If we add Wanya he could play LT with Smith or Zierer at RT and the other as a backup OT.  Keondre Jones who I think was our best O-linemen this year at RG.  That would leave LG and Center plus backups with current players that would be Irvin, Johnson, Jernigan, Langlo. Zierer was a very solid Pass blocker so would be an improvement in pass Blocking at RT over Hamm who should have been an IOL. Wanya would be an improvement over all of our LT's we used this year. I have heard some good things about Colby Smith but until I see him play I will reserve judgement. To be really safe on O-line assuming we get Wanya next year we need at least one more IOL from Portal and at least one more O-line be it IOL or OT.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

This seems like they're joking. If this was legit, would have to think it would be done via back channel and kept quiet. If this is real, we'll probably back off and deny ever talking to him to avoid being accused of tampering. They play things too close to the vest, so they'd have him sworn to secrecy

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, au302 said:

This seems like they're joking. If this was legit, would have to think it would be done via back channel and kept quiet. If this is real, we'll probably back off and deny ever talking to him to avoid being accused of tampering. They play things too close to the vest, so they'd have him sworn to secrecy

I tend to agree. I'll believe Morris is serious when I see it.

• Like 5