Olineman in the Portal

twilli13

32 minutes ago, aublaise said:

I am surprised 247 screwed this up.  SMU is in the AAC not the ACC.  

Not much difference in competition. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Harsin is apparently going after another NFL DL coach. I don’t know why we don’t do the same on the OL. It’s the worst position group on the team. And yet, it should be the easiest to recruit.

We could convince any big time OL recruit that he can come in and start for us next year as a Freshman. 

All we need is proven development. And I believe that you get that with a proven NFL OL coach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Harsin is apparently going after another NFL DL coach. I don’t know why we don’t do the same on the OL. It’s the worst position group on the team. And yet, it should be the easiest to recruit.

We could convince any big time OL recruit that he can come in and start for us next year as a Freshman. 

All we need is proven development. And I believe that you get that with a proven NFL OL coach.

Judging by all the O-linemen that seemed to be communicating with Joiner, he may very well be our messiah there lol.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Harsin is apparently going after another NFL DL coach. I don’t know why we don’t do the same on the OL. 

I don't know, gee, maybe because we have someone there already? 😉

16 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

And yet, it should be the easiest to recruit.

A bit of a tough spot for us right now because an elite QB would set those dominoes to falling, but elite QBs might be waiting for those dominoes to fall. Same deal with WRs.

That said, at some point we have to force the issue. I guess Harsin doesn't feel we've reached that point.

As for the OL coach, I'm guessing that Harsin is waiting to identify the perfect candidate before making a change. Just because we haven't heard anything doesn't mean that process isn't underway. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A bit of a tough spot for us right now because an elite QB would set those dominoes to falling, but elite QBs might be waiting for those dominoes to fall. Same deal with WRs.

That said, at some point we have to force the issue. I guess Harsin doesn't feel we've reached that point.

As for the OL coach, I'm guessing that Harsin is waiting to identify the perfect candidate before making a change. Just because we haven't heard anything doesn't mean that process isn't underway. 

I'm not understanding why having an elite QB would be much of a factor for an OLINE recruit. I would think it huge to know you likely will start and Likely will look like an elite compared to the talent around you. Auburn should have a lot to pitch to these young men. "Just because we haven't heard anything doesn't mean that process isn't underway."   It doesn't mean it is underway either. People defending this season's losing record stated that there was no way to expect Harsin with the lack of talent on the offensive line to have much success. To give him time to turn that around. I'm totally on board with the you get a few year's approach to turn a program around. But so far what's occurring with recruiting at this key position is troubling. It's baffling that the coaches have had so much success recruiting other areas but when it comes to the offensive line its Tumbleweed city. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Kid is very likely following Napier to UF

Doesn’t seem to be the case.   Doesn’t look like he even has an offer from UF and he’s at Auburn right now visiting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

•  
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, autan said:

Hope These Guys choose the Good Guys.

some of the guys commenting on reddit said brooks is a done deal and he is a monster lineman. they are super pumped. i have no idea but i thought i would post for anyone interested.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

some of the guys commenting on reddit said brooks is a done deal and he is a monster lineman. they are super pumped. i have no idea but i thought i would post for anyone interested.

I was a little nervous when I noticed his 247 portal profile had him listed as 255lbs.   On the WKU site he is listed at 305lbs, and said this about his 2020 season:

2020 (Jr.) | 12/12: With long-time starting right tackle Miles Pate wrapping up his career on The Hill, Brooks had large shoes to fill – and filled them very well. He started all 12 games and took 764 offensive snaps at the position, producing a PFF College’s Premium Stats 83.4 overall blocking rating in 2020, to rank second among Conference USA tackles behind Will Ulmer of Marshall, who had an 85.8 rating. His overall rating placed him 11th in FBS and his 77.5 pass blocking grade ranked tied for 41st in the nation. He will retain his junior year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

And he had these accolades after his 2021 season:

2021 All-Conference USA First Team
2021 PFF College All-CUSA Third Team (Nov. 29)

So, let’s go get him!  War Eagle!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I was a little nervous when I noticed his 247 portal profile had him listed as 255lbs.   On the WKU site he is listed at 305lbs, and said this about his 2020 season:

2020 (Jr.) | 12/12: With long-time starting right tackle Miles Pate wrapping up his career on The Hill, Brooks had large shoes to fill – and filled them very well. He started all 12 games and took 764 offensive snaps at the position, producing a PFF College’s Premium Stats 83.4 overall blocking rating in 2020, to rank second among Conference USA tackles behind Will Ulmer of Marshall, who had an 85.8 rating. His overall rating placed him 11th in FBS and his 77.5 pass blocking grade ranked tied for 41st in the nation. He will retain his junior year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

And he had these accolades after his 2021 season:

2021 All-Conference USA First Team
2021 PFF College All-CUSA Third Team (Nov. 29)

So, let’s go get him!  War Eagle!

Somebody said he is visiting this weekend as are two interior IOL. If we could get him and at least 1 of the IOL's we would be in much better shape.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, AEAugirl said:

Doesn’t seem to be the case.   Doesn’t look like he even has an offer from UF and he’s at Auburn right now visiting. 

Any word on how his visit went.

38 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Any word on how his visit went.

Nope haven’t read anything.  Really hoping Auburn can pick that kid up but a lot of competition for him. 

Reading posts it seems we had between 2 and 4 Portal O-linemen between Friday and today.  I never heard any confirmations on which ones actually were here.   I am assuming similar to when HS players visit we don't get any information on how the visit went until after the visit. Since this is by far our biggest area of need any real information in the next couple of days especially if it is positive would be welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

When is the last day they can enroll for spring semester? We need some movement on the OLine bad. The momentum would really help. 

Starts the 12th but have until 19th I believe could be incorrect

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Reading posts it seems we had between 2 and 4 Portal O-linemen between Friday and today.  I never heard any confirmations on which ones actually were here.   I am assuming similar to when HS players visit we don't get any information on how the visit went until after the visit. Since this is by far our biggest area of need any real information in the next couple of days especially if it is positive would be welcomed.

Back when I was in school we called that three.

WDE!

• Haha 9

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Starts the 12th but have until 19th I believe could be incorrect

you have an add/drop week, so yeah they should have some wiggle room

Its the same thing that the Caleb fella is using to have not been committed yet