Olineman in the Portal

twilli13

I read on Reddit that the coaching staff is waiting until after spring to sign the OLine. I guess this comes after missing out on our top two guys? I guess that would make sense at this point. Both the Cornell and Vandy guys are summer enrollees right? 

35 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I read on Reddit that the coaching staff is waiting until after spring to sign the OLine. I guess this comes after missing out on our top two guys? I guess that would make sense at this point. Both the Cornell and Vandy guys are summer enrollees right? 

I'd say it's mostly spin due to missing on guys.  Yeah, both Hunter Nozaurd (sp?) and Tyler Steen are Summer guys

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I'd say it's mostly spin due to missing on guys.  Yeah, both Hunter Nozaurd (sp?) and Tyler Steen are Summer guys

I’d say it is the only option they have left vs spin. I understand the comments though.

• Like 2

I'm guessing the lineup for spring will be Trox/Jackson/Brahms/Jones/Zierer. Then lets say we somehow land Nourzard and Steen after spring. You replace Brahms with Nourzard. Steen can go RT or a guard spot.

Nourzard looks better than Brahms, and it will be hard for Z/Trox/Steen to be worse than Hamm at RT. Problem is I have no confidence we land guys right now. Wildcards would be if Colby Smith and Jeremiah Wright can make a move this year or are they a year out. Don't want to see a Jackson or Council at LG again

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Fire Will Friend today! How much more evidence do you need?

Right around a month to signing day, I'd be shocked if anyone on staff is cut loose prior to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, selias said:

Right around a month to signing day, I'd be shocked if anyone on staff is cut loose prior to that.

That's the feeling I get. At this point, just ride it out. Firing him now could affect perception and recruits at other positions. Could also be professional courtesy type things to consider, I dunno. 

But I still believe that Harsin has a plan. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the feeling I get. At this point, just ride it out. Firing him now could affect perception and recruits at other positions. Could also be professional courtesy type things to consider, I dunno. 

But I still believe that Harsin has a plan. 

Having a plan is window dressing.

Succeeding when plans go away, that is something quite different.

As much as I like Harsin, my jury is still out when it comes to OL.  This has been, in my book, a very bad look on him.

But I'm just one guy. I hope his plan succeeds better than it has to date.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Having a plan is window dressing.

Succeeding when plans go away, that is something quite different.

As much as I like Harsin, my jury is still out when it comes to OL.  This has been, in my book, a very bad look on him.

But I'm just one guy. I hope his plan succeeds better than it has to date.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect us to be in this position at this juncture, and I wish we were looking a little better. Specifically it's the lack of HS OLs that surprises me most. 

But I see plans being executed in most (all?) other areas of the program, and it seems like he previously ran a fine tuned, complete program. To me the logical conclusion is that he understands what is needed and has already made adjustments to how he's going to achieve that. I don't believe our current situation with the OL is a result of negligence, oversight or ineptitude.

My conclusion- subject to change- is that we are in the middle of the train wreck foretold by our elders, and that it might be worse or harder to mitigate than Harsin expected, but also that he will get us to "not as bad as we feared" sooner than many of us are thinking he can right now, and that we'll turn that corner towards "good or better" by 2023. 

TL;DR Coach Corn and Bobo tell me that Harsin will make a needed change literally as soon as he is able. The whiffed early hires aren't his epitaph yet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect us to be in this position at this juncture, and I wish we were looking a little better. Specifically it's the lack of HS OLs that surprises me most. 

But I see plans being executed in most (all?) other areas of the program, and it seems like he previously ran a fine tuned, complete program. To me the logical conclusion is that he understands what is needed and has already made adjustments to how he's going to achieve that. I don't believe our current situation with the OL is a result of negligence, oversight or ineptitude.

My conclusion- subject to change- is that we are in the middle of the train wreck foretold by our elders, and that it might be worse or harder to mitigate than Harsin expected, but also that he will get us to "not as bad as we feared" sooner than many of us are thinking he can right now, and that we'll turn that corner towards "good or better" by 2023. 

TL;DR Coach Corn and Bobo tell me that Harsin will make a needed change literally as soon as he is able. The whiffed early hires aren't his epitaph yet. 

Do you believe that we are having to wait on NIL legislation to be changed in Alabama before we are able to utilize it like others have?

12 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm guessing the lineup for spring will be Trox/Jackson/Brahms/Jones/Zierer. Then lets say we somehow land Nourzard and Steen after spring. You replace Brahms with Nourzard. Steen can go RT or a guard spot.

Nourzard looks better than Brahms, and it will be hard for Z/Trox/Steen to be worse than Hamm at RT. Problem is I have no confidence we land guys right now. Wildcards would be if Colby Smith and Jeremiah Wright can make a move this year or are they a year out. Don't want to see a Jackson or Council at LG again

Just like everyone thinking TJ would come in and unseat a multi year starter during fall camp...I'm going to take the same position.  It's going to be really highly unlikely anyone comes in and wins the starting job this fall and replaces the 4 returning starters we have on the OL.  It's just really really unlikely.  They might be a little better, but I don't think any of them are worlds better where they'll mesh well enough, learn the system fast enough, etc vs 2-3 year returning starters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

Do you believe that we are having to wait on NIL legislation to be changed in Alabama before we are able to utilize it like others have?

No clue. 

49 minutes ago, wcware said:

definitely.

The NIL group has posted and said out loud that the Alabama legisture hurt our NIL process bc they put so many restrictions on it, that other states did not do. 

They say there will be changes in the laws(Saban defintely wants it too, so that is a plus).

And they also say there will be more announcements regarding better outside help in getting NIL funds flowing into it, to provide all AU student athletes a way of earning good money.

For now it's the wild wild west, and if it was true that CJ the QB wanted 2mil, then I can see only 1 or 2 schools might go ot on that limb. Aiburn would have never done it, even if it had the 2 mil in NIL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Kid from Vandy and there is also a kid from some Texas school

soft probably,  right  @bigbird?

13 hours ago, USATiger said:

maybe we can get Tubbs to look at the roster and pick a few guys (TE,DL) that could move to OT.  He was dang good at that.  

He was...I was hoping JJ Peguese would have stayed on the O side and became a lineman instead of going to DL.   What do I know?   (that is rhetorical in nature, I know I am quite smart once or twice a week). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

HS o line 2022 commits/signees in the SEC West+ UGA

OM-7

UGA-5

TAMU/MsSt/LSU/Arky-4 each

Bama-3

AU-1

And this is after we signed 2 last year. Most of the schools listed above signed 3-5. CBH better get his giddy up on real quick. 

Just wait till after spring... We will star rolling them in

14 hours ago, selias said:

I could normally understand that, but who is Will Friend going help us get between now and signing day? There is no one to my knowledge that he’s actively recruiting that we couldn’t land with another OL coach. 

I just don’t see where he is adding any value. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I could normally understand that, but who is Will Friend going help us get between now and signing day? There is no one to my knowledge that he’s actively recruiting that we couldn’t land with another OL coach. 

I just don’t see where he is adding any value. 

The only possibilities I could come up with were 1) projecting stability to other recruits and/or 2) professional courtesy of some sort. But I don't know if it works like that at all or not. 

32 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Haven't seen him in a few days have you.....

Probably trying to figure out what to do with all the people jumping off bridges

• Like 1
  • Haha 1