Florida vs. Central Florida

SRBautigerfan

9 minutes ago, hutchids said:

Wide receivers without a deep threat or good intermediate route receiver, d line with no pass rush, sub par online with no depth that will require harsin to completely rebuild the unit, and no qb depth. 6-6 finish from Harsin was better than the analysts expected. Next year will be part of the rebuild as well. Essentially, Auburn doesn't have the talent right now to compete in the secw. 

U are setting the bar low now. There is no way u thought Auburn would finish 6-6 after starting 6-2. My question is why all the confidence in CBH. Boise State was loaded when he took over. There is no evidence of him rebuilding a team. I am just trying to understand. I followed Boise State football very closely during his tenure so I want to understand what I am missing 

Edited by e808
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Time for a reality check. Heupel's UCF team last season finished 6-4. Gus has improved it to 9-4.

Yea someone set me straight on that one earlier. From what I've gathered after reading this thread and perusing their boards tonight, they had no D and T-Will has done a hell of a job. But they are already grumbling about the offensive regression, specifically the lack of vertical passing attack.

Big win for him though against renown BBQ boy Greg Knox. With the superior talent UCF has besides Cincinnati and maybe Houston, he should be able to win 8 minimum out there every year

3 hours ago, au302 said:

Here's the thing. Heupel left behind a great QB and good offensive personnel. They had an explosive O during his tenure. I figured Gus would do well with those players before gradually regressing once they left. Instead they have looked meh all year. Plus big step up coming with the Big 12

they had a marginally worse looking, but still pretty good offensive with the guy was in. Keane is awful but I do think it says something with them not having any decent backup option with him out plus the offense plummeting overall 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Yea someone set me straight on that one earlier. From what I've gathered after reading this thread and perusing their boards tonight, they had no D and T-Will has done a hell of a job. But they are already grumbling about the offensive regression, specifically the lack of vertical passing attack.

Big win for him though against renown BBQ boy Greg Knox. With the superior talent UCF has besides Cincinnati and maybe Houston, he should be able to win 8 minimum out there every year

Did u watch entire game. There was some vertical passing but the true freshmen missed the guy more often than not. However, some tweaks are needed to the offense the substitutions kind of telegraph what play is coming next to a degree.

I do wish some folks on the board could admit that there's a latent desire for the ex girl to be woefully worse than the new girl. In reality, both didn't do much to inspire short term confidence with on the field results, and both programs are left hoping that playing for the long game works 

I don't know how you can give either more than a C for their performances this season

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, e808 said:

U are setting the bar low now. There is no way u thought Auburn would finish 6-6 after starting 6-2. My question is why all the confidence in CBH. Boise State was loaded when he took over. There is no evidence of him doing that. I am just trying to understand.

I had us at 6-6 or 7-5 pre season. We over achieved at the start and under achieved at the end. We'll see if Harsin is any good in year 3 and 4 when he has a chance to rebuild some of our units.

Harsin did a good job of getting Boise players to the nfl and he kept Boise where they were in their conference when he took over. 5 division titles and 3 conference in 6 years. Won a NY6 game, finished ranked 4 times. Harsin started faster at Boise, but he also had a better team. Other than Bo, who was better but still inconsistent this year, and Tank, he had no offensive weapons. I'd like to see Harsin with a full deck before I judge him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Did u watch entire game. There was some vertical passing but the true freshmen missed the guy more often than not. However, some tweaks are needed to the offense the substitutions kind of telegraph what play is coming next to a degree.

I watched through mid fourth. Both of what you just said is what drove many of us nuts for years. QB that can't hit a deep ball and substitutions that make the play predictable. When Gatewood came in I instantly knew that call and so did Florida. 

That said, they had more energy in the second half and took it to them. Props where it's due. I hope Gus does well out there. 

• Like 2

Florida had one of the best CBs in the league, a couple good SEC level receivers, an OL that has looked incredibly in run blocking occasionally and a guy in Emory who's at least above average. Playing against that with that Keane kid as your starting QB is a pretty sizable upset. You slapped up a team you were a touchdown dog against. 

There's no way to measure out that performance as not being imrpessive

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Florida had one of the best CBs in the league, a couple good SEC level receivers, an OL that has looked incredibly in run blocking occasionally and a guy in Emory who's at least above average. Playing against that with that Keane kid as your starting QB is a pretty sizable upset. You slapped up a team you were a touchdown dog against. 

There's no way to measure out that performance as not being imrpessive

Brendan Cox is a beast and that was UCF first win ever over Florida

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I do wish some folks on the board could admit that there's a latent desire for the ex girl to be woefully worse than the new girl. In reality, both didn't do much to inspire short term confidence with on the field results, and both programs are left hoping that playing for the long game works 

I don't know how you can give either more than a C for their performances this season

For sure. Neither program is where they were in 2017. Personal attacks are never right, but I do think it's fair game to talk about the roster management of Gus until it's fixed, especially since he left a million SR OL which has us in a bind. A lot of Gus's players are being run off, so Harsin will get less and less slack from me as his players come in 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

They'll have to change the rules so he can use a walker in a few years.

I saw they were trying for the IB touchdown we had with the jump pass to NCM

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just an atrocious football game also 

no idea why Florida is playing the QB who won't be here next year. It doesn't even have to be AR-15...just play someone who WILL be here next season 

You mean like we did against bama when TJ could hardly walk at the end?

12 hours ago, au302 said:

Trust me I know. Their fans already seem frustrated with the offense, especially after watching Frost and Heupel run up and down the field. Twill and their defense supposedly greatly improved so that's great. With the talent advantage out there, Gus will win his share if he gets good QB's now that Gabriel bolted (big if)

How did Heupel and Frost do this year?:drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

they had a marginally worse looking, but still pretty good offensive with the guy was in. Keane is awful but I do think it says something with them not having any decent backup option with him out plus the offense plummeting overall 

But they had Gatewood that a lot of people here thought should have got more PT at Auburn. He looked awful the couple of plays he was in.

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That's fair. The emphasis for both programs is that long game you mentioned. Anyone on either side claiming an "I told you so" after year 1 hasn't been paying attention*. 

*On the overall product. On individual items on the coaching acumen checklist, I contend that numerous "I told you sos" have been earned.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

But they had Gatewood that a lot of people here thought should have got more PT at Auburn. He looked awful the couple of plays he was in.

He was third string when he left Kentucky and 4 th at UCF. Our qb recruitment sucked but so do fans analysis. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alexava said:

The effort to bash Gus is really sad. 

Yep. He's not perfect and objective criticism is fine but Gus in just engrained in some people's brain. To me it was a nice win for UCF as a 6 point underdog and I'm happy for Gus and wish nothing but the best for him going forward. Now I'm moving on to Auburn and Harsin.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just an atrocious football game also 

no idea why Florida is playing the QB who won't be here next year. It doesn't even have to be AR-15...just play someone who WILL be here next season 

The coach makes that decision and he won’t be there either. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's fair. The emphasis for both programs is that long game you mentioned. Anyone on either side claiming an "I told you so" after year 1 hasn't been paying attention*. 

*On the overall product. On individual items on the coaching acumen checklist, I contend that numerous "I told you sos" have been earned.

I dunno if they got the individual items right that we needed improvement in though (for my tastes).

1. No offensive identity established by November (very similar issue)

2. OL might’ve been even worse 

3. Harsin definitely seemed like he’d have a better feel for how to handle the QBs in the first half of the season, but that back half? 
4. And just November in general 

I do think we got the defensive side of things right, if UA game Derek Mason is who we have going forward. The offense staff is still wait and see 

• Like 1