Oregon DL Transfer Jayson Jones COMMITS TO AUBURN!

Zeek

4 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

This is a big one, literally and figuratively!

Him and M'ba lining up next to each other would be something to see. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Him and M'ba lining up next to each other would be something to see. 

Imagine a goal line defense of Jones, M’ba, Wright, and Hunter. 

• Love 1

BREAKING: Jayson Jones talks about decision to transfer to Auburn

ByJASON CALDWELL 19 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

2 Minute Drill: Importance of a win for Auburn in Birmingham Bowl

CALERA, Alabama—A former 4-star prospect from Alabama that spent his last two years at Oregon, massive 6-6, 320 defensive tackle Jayson Jones admits he wasn’t unhappy playing for the Ducks, but a change in coaching staff opened up the door and with it became an opportunity to get closer to home. Oregon’s loss is Auburn’s gain with Jones choosing Bryan Harsin’s Tigers over offers from Jackson State, Miami, Missouri, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt and several others.

“It was a very hard decision,” Jones tells Inside The Auburn Tigers. “Leaving Oregon in the first place was already hard. It wasn’t so much about our defensive scheme, but more about connections and opportunities closer to home as opposed to being up North.

“I saw what they were building and what their goals were,” he adds of Auburn. “I saw that Nick Eason wanted to build on the defensive line. That’s every school though. Every school has a vision of what they want and a vision to win a national championship. That’s the vision of every school.”

What made this one different was the energy and love from Auburn’s new coaching staff. Recruited by the former staff for the Tigers, Jones says he really likes the way this group approaches things. That can be hard to admit for someone that grew up following the rival school.

“For some reason Auburn stuck out,” Jones says. “It’s funny because my whole life I was always an Alabama fan. The new staff definitely had an impact on me. Every school told me I would be a key player, but obviously I’m going to have to earn it. They have a big expectations for me.”

A 6-6, 320-pounder, Jones redshirted in 2020 before seeing action in all 13 games for the Ducks this season. Finishing with 19 total tackles, Jones added one and a half sacks from his defensive tackle position.

Playing across the country the last two years, Jones says being back closer to home was important, but it wasn’t a determining factor to choose Auburn.

“Being closer to home, yes it’s cool, but it wasn’t a huge factor on why I decided to come home,” Jones says. “If it was a big factor I never would have went out to Oregon in the first place.”

15COMMENTS

Preparing to be on the Auburn campus in early January for the spring semester, Jones says he’s ready to get to work. 

“War Eagle!”

• Like 1

Shoutout to the defensive staff. They been showing out in recruiting. That DL should look nasty, and that’s without even knowing if Wooden coming back or not

• Like 1

• Zeek changed the title to Oregon DL Transfer Jayson Jones COMMITS TO AUBURN!

The size upgrade of our DL next year is going to be amazing to see. Should do wonders to help out some of the new LBs we’ll be breaking in. 

• Like 4

Word is we still want to add one more on the DL believe it or not. Story is out of the picture in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Word is we still want to add one more on the DL believe it or not. Story is out of the picture in my opinion. 

We have way too many DT’s right now - we need more speed on the edges. I really wish we could land Diabate from Florida. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Maybe Woody?

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So we traded a QB for DL? 

Man college really is getting like the NFL.

Likely a CB too 

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

We have way too many DT’s right now - we need more speed on the edges. I really wish we could land Diabate from Florida. 

There are two coaches that I'm not questioning in recruiting/roster management right now. Eason and Ethridge.

• Like 7