Chip Lindsey back with Gus

BJCrawford

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Is this surprising?

Shocking.

All we heard from the mods on the Auburn sites was how they did not get along, how Chip wanted to get away from Gus, how Gus was too involved with the play calls, etc, etc. seems none of it is true. 

I am finding more and more that those sites want clicks and really do not know what is going on… 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Didn't seem to take an expert to see that things were off in 2018. 2017 truly looked like Gus let Chip do his thing with Stidham. Obviously the talent was better in '17. But Chip is desperate and this was his best bet for now. Better than Taggart at FAU lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Shocking.

All we heard from the mods on the Auburn sites was how they did not get along, how Chip wanted to get away from Gus, how Gus was too involved with the play calls, etc, etc. seems none of it is true. 

I am finding more and more that those sites want clicks and really do not know what is going on… 

Clearly, a lot of that was overstated. 

Lindsey got fired by Troy a month ago. He wasn't going to get many better offers than this for 2022. And, hey, Orlando. 

As for Gus, we've known for years that he loves nothing more than things he's already done.

This makes a lot of sense and doesn't necessarily contradict prior accounts of their relationship. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just more evidence of how things were with him here if you ask me. He is basically replicating the same thing he did at AU at UCF. Bringing same players. Same coaches. Same scheme. The man will never adapt.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lindsey got fired by Troy a month ago. He wasn't going to get many better offers than this for 2022. And, hey, Orlando. 

As for Gus, we've known for years that he loves nothing more than things he's already done.

This makes a lot of sense and doesn't necessarily contradict prior accounts of their relationship. 

Coaches have short memories and love a paycheck.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Shocking.

Chip Lindsey had just been hired at FAU ~13 days ago as OC, before getting the call from UCF. You see, most of these guys will still prioritize their career and paychecks. UCF is a big step up from FAU where Willie Taggart is coming off a 5-7 season. The fact that he went back to Gus doesn't disqualify anything that may or may not have happened here before; once you consider that it's his best offer. 

3 hours ago, metafour said:

once you consider that it's his best offer. 

I completely understand. A man’s gotta eat. 
It is just shocking that he’s going to a place where Gus has said over and over again he will call his own plays. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I completely understand. A man’s gotta eat. 
It is just shocking that he’s going to a place where Gus has said over and over again he will call his own plays. 

Kenny Dillingham was in the exact same position in 2019. Now he's the OC at Oregon. I'm not projecting a similar trajectory for Lindsey but it's a lot better than any role at FAU.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kenny Dillingham was in the exact same position in 2019. Now he's the OC at Oregon. I'm not projecting a similar trajectory for Lindsey but it's a lot better than any role at FAU.

That is true but Kenny has not already been out on his own and failed miserably.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

That is true but Kenny has not already been out on his own and failed miserably.

Like I said, I don't project the same trajectory for Lindsey. But, also, big time football is full of outstanding coordinators who are also failed head coaches. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It doesn't contradict those accounts, but I think it helps place them in perspective. I don't doubt that there may have been frustration from Lindsay, but the stories about Gus lying to him don't really hold water after this, IMO. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:47 AM, metafour said:

Chip Lindsey had just been hired at FAU ~13 days ago as OC, before getting the call from UCF. You see, most of these guys will still prioritize their career and paychecks. UCF is a big step up from FAU where Willie Taggart is coming off a 5-7 season. The fact that he went back to Gus doesn't disqualify anything that may or may not have happened here before; once you consider that it's his best offer. 

Exactly. This will give the appearance of a quicker "rehab".  At FAU, he'd be there 3-4 years before others came looking. At UCF, that time is cut to 2-3.

Amazing how you can just be a mediocre coach and once you get a gig somewhere you can just keep going round and round getting contracts every few years. Are good coaches really on such short supply everyone is just recycled everywhere?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:05 PM, McLoofus said:

Like I said, I don't project the same trajectory for Lindsey. But, also, big time football is full of outstanding coordinators who are also failed head coaches. 

*Coach Boom nods knowingly*

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, fishepa said:

Amazing how you can just be a mediocre coach and once you get a gig somewhere you can just keep going round and round getting contracts every few years. Are good coaches really on such short supply everyone is just recycled everywhere?

This is even more prevalent in the nfl. It's amazing how poor coaches can make a career of just bouncing around from team to team and never get any better at anything.