* Official Auburn vs. Houston Game Thread *

abw0004

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

It personally drives me crazy when people complain about calls that would have resulted in huge gains or TDs if executed properly. That's the very definition of a good play call. 

Yeah but then they wont have anything to bitch about because that makes too much sense. 🤷

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Hey ? Do you think if Harsin is calling plays next year you think we are done? Because youve said that twice, you wanna say it again?🤷🤦

Did it post twice? Apologies. Connection is slow at the stadium. I guess it’s better from your house. 

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I just don't know what the O coaches are supposed to do in this particular case. QB can't throw, OL can't run block. 

They need to suit up I guess, and execute for the players. 

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

I may not agree with the rule, but if you say that wasn't targeting, you are blind. 

Sadly I agree with you. But unlike those who are mad at Smoke for doing it, they have never played Football your guy makes an interception and you block for him. In todays game that block was targeting but when the play occurs you react. Players that wait to decide don't make plays.

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I just don't know what the O coaches are supposed to do in this particular case. QB can't throw, OL can't run block. 

I hear you.  I think my frustration is due in large part because we just keep going back to the same old-same old. I will embarrass myself if I try to name all the different plays, quick plays, that you run when the O line can’t block… But we don’t seem to get creative enough. And it shows in the stats, and the score. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

It personally drives me crazy when people complain about calls that would have resulted in huge gains or TDs if executed properly. That's the very definition of a good play call. 

Well, but a "good play call" also has to do with personnel on the field. Maybe an overthrown deep pass to a wide open receiver is a BAD call when your QB can only connect on maybe 1 out of 5.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Did it post twice? Apologies. Connection is slow at the stadium. I guess it’s better from your house. 

I guess I'll be named a Harsin apologist but honestly at this point call me whatever but your statement makes no sense. I thought he did a fantastic job calling the game. He can't throw or block for the team. He is literally doing what he can to help this team win. 🤷🤦

24 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

You’d be surprised who gets to play sometimes.  I saw DD in the spring game. He has what it takes. Finley wasn’t getting it done.

Joey Gatewood was arguably the best QB in a spring game that featured Malik Willis and Patrick Nix Jr

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

Good News!!

It's Basketball Season!!!

Yep. We host LSU tomorrow night. Should be a good game. Would love to hand them their first loss.

Edited by yngwie1995

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Joey Gatewood was arguably the best QB in a spring game that featured Malik Willis and Patrick Nix Jr

Yeah there are a lot of spring game hall of famers for sure. 

4 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I hear you.  I think my frustration is due in large part because we just keep going back to the same old-same old. I will embarrass myself if I try to name all the different plays, quick plays, that you run when the O line can’t block… But we don’t seem to get creative enough. And it shows in the stats, and the score. 

Fair enough. It is extremely frustrating to watch. I get it. 

I wanted to say that we (AU) may have been better off not participating in the bowl game today. But am hopeful that Harsin and his Staff learned enough today to make additional moves to make the future brighter.

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

Today the O-Line did some run blocking but you are correct when other team knows it is a run play like 3rd and 1 we are not physical enough. The pass blocking was good today there was only one sack and while Finley was pressured a few times with any mobility he could have avoided the pressure.  You are wrong about him not being able to throw as he threw some great passes today. The pass to Shenker down the middle with LB on him step for step was beautiful, the problem was three throws he seems to have trouble with the long ball that could have put the game away as WR's were open, any throw where he is moving and short arming short passes throwing at receivers  feet.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Well, but a "good play call" also has to do with personnel on the field. Maybe an overthrown deep pass to a wide open receiver is a BAD call when your QB can only connect on maybe 1 out of 5.

I hear what you are saying. I think you have to take those occasional shots and hope for the best. Especially when there aren't many alternatives that might work. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

DD literally could not have done worse than TJ today. Sorry. This was the floor. Why not try something different. 

Agree 100%. The ONLY thing that was on the line today was a losing season, absolutely nothing to lose. Why not give a kid who has put the time in this season to at least get a couple of series to show you what he can do?? With the exception of a couple of good passes, TJ did NOTHING on offense to inspire the team or the fans, so why not try to spark things with DD? It’s beyond maddening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Today the O-Line did some run blocking but you are correct when other team knows it is a run play like 3rd and 1 we are not physical enough. The pass blocking was good today there was only one sack and while Finley was pressured a few times with any mobility he could have avoided the pressure.  You are wrong about him not being able to throw as he threw some great passes today. The pass to Shenker down the middle with LB on him step for step was beautiful, the problem was three throws he seems to have trouble with the long ball that could have put the game away as WR's were open, any throw where he is moving and short arming short passes throwing at receivers  feet.  

Obviously saying Finley can't throw was an oversimplification. But he was off today. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

True. I loved Willis and wished we had given him a better shot.

23 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

If you never throw the long ball the safety's move up and make run game and short passes harder to complete. Sometimes an overthrow on an open deep ball forces teams to play more honestly. Finley can't throw on the move, is not a threat to fake to RB  and run and short arms some short passes but also makes some great passes what else did you want the coach to call. Those short arm passes would have kept drives alive.

At some point players have to make plays. We did have some players make plays there were some great catches but there were also bad throws that ended drives.

• Like 3

I've said it before but I think that is a major difference with the new coach that I love. He calls plays as though his players are going to execute. At some point they will and he is going to look a lot smarter as a play caller.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

DD literally could not have done worse than TJ today. Sorry. This was the floor. Why not try something different. 

There is always a subfloor

Edited by W.E.D

22 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Agree 100%. The ONLY thing that was on the line today was a losing season, absolutely nothing to lose. Why not give a kid who has put the time in this season to at least get a couple of series to show you what he can do?? With the exception of a couple of good passes, TJ did NOTHING on offense to inspire the team or the fans, so why not try to spark things with DD? It’s beyond maddening.

I am hopeful that Harsin’s decision to not allow DD any reps does not cause DD to become disillusioned.