* Official Auburn vs. Houston Game Thread *

abw0004

1 hour ago, alexava said:

If he doesn’t improve, you are correct. This new QB coach is going to have to be Socrates. 

I am thinking like the other Poster, TJ could be a back up... but nothing more. Too stiff, QB in today's game HAS to be mobile. He has the uncanny nack of under throwing or overthrowing. Auburn has got to learn how to recruit the QB position. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Joey Gatewood was arguably the best QB in a spring game that featured Malik Willis and Patrick Nix Jr

Guess which one is about to cash in with the NFL

someone in VA must be a pretty good QB coach

Edited by EagleEye67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

I am thinking like the other Poster, TJ could be a back up... but nothing more. Too stiff, QB in today's game HAS to be mobile. He has the uncanny nack of under throwing or overthrowing. Auburn has got to learn how to recruit the QB position. 

Surely Harsin will give both DD and Geriner ample opportunity to see if either is more capable. That is my hope. He cannot afford not to do it is my opinion. Regardless of his not doing it today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Agree 100%. The ONLY thing that was on the line today was a losing season, absolutely nothing to lose. Why not give a kid who has put the time in this season to at least get a couple of series to show you what he can do?? With the exception of a couple of good passes, TJ did NOTHING on offense to inspire the team or the fans, so why not try to spark things with DD? It’s beyond maddening.

You people have never played football have you?

Just now, PigskinPat said:

I actually have, but nice try.

DD just had a spring camp, a fall camp, bowl practices and a 13-game season to try and make the field. And he never did.  When your a player and you never make the field, you, the coaches, and everyone else on the team pretty much knows why your not playing. He is not ready to play yet. Its that simple. 

20 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

DD just had a spring camp, a fall camp, bowl practices and a 13-game season to try and make the field. And he never did.  When your a player and you never make the field, you, the coaches, and everyone else on the team pretty much knows why your not playing. He is not ready to play yet. Its that simple. 

Yeah, kind of like all the people who thought TJ should be QB1 in front of Nix all season.  As it turned out, the coaches were probably right all along. 

15 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

I don’t know of anyone that expected DD to come in and have a Heisman like performance and I certainly did not. But for some players, their lights come on when the big lights come on. Kurt Warner was sacking groceries when he got his opportunity. The GOAT was holding a clipboard on the sidelines when he got his. And no, I’m in no way saying DD is going to rise to the level of those guys. What I am saying is that when the second string quarterback is struggling in a bowl game in Birmingham, does the third stringer not get a series or two to prove that he’s at least a little bit better than the guy in front of him? And that’s all we needed today to win, a quarterback that was a little bit better than Finley.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If you never throw the long ball the safety's move up and make run game and short passes harder to complete. Sometimes an overthrow on an open deep ball forces teams to play more honestly. Finley can't throw on the move, is not a threat to fake to RB  and run and short arms some short passes but also makes some great passes what else did you want the coach to call. Those short arm passes would have kept drives alive.

At some point players have to make plays. We did have some players make plays there were some great catches but there were also bad throws that ended drives.

This was on the 2nd to last drive of the game (after the INT). We had the ball at midfield. We threw a deep ball on 1st (to the right, overthrown). Ran on 2nd (leaving 3rd and 9), then turn around and throw another deep ball on 3rd (to the right, overthrown). 3 and out. Maybe some higher percentage plays would be in order? Especially when we're trying to run clock and/or score to put it out of reach.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Lol...creative playcalling. There is no such thing when your OL and QB are garbage. Players on O are very subpar. Playcalling cannot and will not fix that.

That’s kind of my point. This team is a few years away from even challenging for anything more than second or third in the West. The O Line and prior coaching staff has wasted a potential All American TB in Tank and part of it, actually a larger part is due to the prior “genius regime” not recruiting true O Line bosses. This is a team in partly disarray, but I do have some faith in this Coach. 

18 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

This was on the 2nd to last drive of the game (after the INT). We had the ball at midfield. We threw a deep ball on 1st (to the right, overthrown). Ran on 2nd (leaving 3rd and 9), then turn around and throw another deep ball on 3rd (to the right, overthrown). 3 and out. Maybe some higher percentage plays would be in order? Especially when we're trying to run clock and/or score to put it out of reach.

Yeah, but but but if that blind hog finds that acorn then it’s game over! 🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Just don’t have a QB that can execute at a high enough level. TJ is just too inconsistent and his ball placement on the last two throws was not good

I agree. Not sure if we go after a portal QB, since most good ones are already decided. I honestly think we are looking towards at least 2 more years before we have a team that can compete, but then again here come OU and UT into the league. We are looking at a time now that AU might be at the bottom of the SEC for a few years. 

4 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

WE SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no way in hell Finley is our starter next year no way

If Harsin is still coach then TJ will start. I’m willing to bet money that if Harsin stays at AU next year 7 wins is the most we will see and then he will be fired and we will be years getting back to even Gus like days. 

• Haha 1

As bad as Gus was he was still light years ahead of Harsin. Auburn spent 73 million dollars just to get the crap show we have seen over the last 3 months. Then we wonder why AU is always behind uat. AU is always playing the lottery hoping to hit on that million to one odds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree. Not sure if we go after a portal QB, since most good ones are already decided. I honestly think we are looking towards at least 2 more years before we have a team that can compete, but then again here come OU and UT into the league. We are looking at a time now that AU might be at the bottom of the SEC for a few years. 

Why do you think LSU hit the portal and brought someone in over TJ? You reckon they might have realized the guy is just not cutout to be an SEC QB?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwartigerAU said:

No there was a deal with his dad not to play him all year. For some reason it looked like the deal would be terminated for the bowl game especially with nix hurt and TJ not fully recovered from his ankle injury. Wasn’t DD the scout QB?  Maybe he beat our defense too much with the other teams Offense. LOL.

44 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Apologies for random jump-in. Both times the receiver was open and TJ had the ball placed on the outside shoulder just 3 or 4 yards too far upfield. Not sure if TJ's release was early (rush looked strong but he had a second more to take aim) or if receiver spent too long at the line getting en route, or if TJ just couldn't control that big arm. They were good calls if they'd worked. Frustrating that it did look more like a scrimmage than game day. 

I find it bizarre that for the last four or five years, you want to believe that we have talent, practice is effective and the offensive staff have confidence in what will be productive in the game. But then, in real time, the offense is outmanned, out of sync, and just ineffective. There has to be some logical explanation other than, "they suck." Here's hoping a more-normal spring and summer will work that out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Why do you think LSU hit the portal and brought someone in over TJ? You reckon they might have realized the guy is just not cutout to be an SEC QB?

I wish you knew what you were talking about.   Who did they bring in?  

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

I don’t think so. Even with the trash Oline this season if the QB’s had better execution then we are possibly 9-3 vs 6-6. The oline  did pretty good in pass protection, but was awful in the run game. So what does Auburn need more than anything a damn QB who is accurate and can place the ball.

I don't see how most of you were all wait on Bo but are so tj isn't it.......he'sliterally Bo his first 2 years as far as inconsistent throwing

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't see how most of you were all wait on Bo but are so tj isn't it.......he'sliterally Bo his first 2 years as far as inconsistent throwing

He has Bo's inconsistencies, but none of the mobility or toughness. He is built like a TE, but looks like he's afraid of contact. I'd say he is JJ 2.0, but I'm not yet sure he's as good as JJ. 

• Like 1