Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

You do realize that guys out there playing are on a football scholarship?!   The point is they should be capable of making at least a couple of those throws.  What exactly do you want the coach to do?   Let’s hear exactly what you would do?   

Stick to baseball. Forreal. 

RUN. THE. BALL. Tank was averaging 5 ypc. We needed to kill clock anyway. It isn't rocket science.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

He also had multiple drives of lost or minimal yardage on 1st and 2nd downs, leading to 3rd and longs.  Don't be selective in your arguments.  There was no consistency to be found anywhere on offense today for us to trust late.

burn him with these straight FACTS

• Haha 2

We all see the same things. What those who harp on every blunder, bad play call fail to do is show any patience whatsoever when it comes to what is called a complete overhaul. IT TAKES TIME PEOPLE! For the love of God, IT IS FREAKING YEAR ONE!! Greatness takes time unless you like the flash in the pan roller coaster ride of inconsistency that we have had over the last 12 years?? Every single time I open this forum up the same group of people dominate with so much negativity. I purposely stayed off the game thread for this reason. We are not Alabama . GA A&M or Ohio St, but I think we will be but keep in mind: before they were who they are THEY STRUGGLED ALSO!!! It's past time to give it a rest already!! I am so close to just leaving this site because of the low football IQ and impatience as to what it takes to rebuild a program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But hey, if TJ was Peyton Manning, it would have worked. So it was actually a brilliant call.

I said this about the fake punt earlier in the season, and got roasted.   "You're just saying that cuz it didnt work"

Edited by EagleEye67
  • Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

RUN. THE. BALL. Tank was averaging 5 ypc. We needed to kill clock anyway. It isn't rockeIf you aere getting st science.

Tank was getting stuffed in the 4th quarter, they were playing 9 in the box daring us to throw.  It wouldn't have worked.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

End of the day, TJ can't hit the deep ball and we need a QB that can.

Hell, he can't hit most routes consistently.  Just a few more accurrate passes and the game is won by 10.

• Like 6

Just now, DivisionN said:

Totally undisciplined team. Was Smoke trying to get thrown out? And, though he drove me crazy, I miss Gus. Our new guy seems clueless. 

I legit think he may have been. He looked really happy/laughing on the sideline after the play. May have been a thing of "if I don't get tossed in my last game for taking somebody's head off, I'm gonna be pissed."

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, DivisionN said:

Totally undisciplined team. Was Smoke trying to get thrown out? And, though he drove me crazy, I miss Gus. Our new guy seems clueless. 

yet again you prove your opinion to be worthless.  This loss can be attributed to Gus's deficiencies and it was just gonna get worse under him.

• Thanks 1

I felt Harsin called a good game but the players just didn’t execute enough.  We had OL with little push, TE’s missing blocks on pass pro, wildly inaccurate QB deep and short and when he was on the money the WR drops two in a row.  The plays were there all day.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Playcalling was good.  If TJ hits just two of those deep balls we win and everyone is praising Harsin's playcalling.

I can definitely see that. It is kind of hard to stomach when it just feels like a wasted play though. I just don't have the faith that Finley can make those plays in the first place. That being said, I don't really have the best feel for it. So if Harsin felt it could work, I can admit he is much better informed than me.

My problem is less about the play calling and more about why DD wasn't ready to go or why Finley hadn't developed more this season. Every year we state that the back ups just weren't that good. it's time to take the approach of why weren't they that good. did they lack the raw talent or lack the development coaching?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

RUN. THE. BALL. Tank was averaging 5 ypc. We needed to kill clock anyway. It isn't rocket science.

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That 5 ypc stat makes it sound like a great strategy but watching the game not so much.

Edited by Hank2020
Spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, ChristoThor said:

I can definitely see that. It is kind of hard to stomach when it just feels like a wasted play though. I just don't have the faith that Finley can make those plays in the first place. That being said, I don't really have the best feel for it. So if Harsin felt it could work, I can admit he is much better informed than me.

IMO, I think TJ likely hits those fairly regularly in practice so Harsin dials them up thinking all we need is one good throw from TJ and its ball game with how our defense was playing.  Harsin called it 4 times.  Pretty bad execution by TJ to complete it 0 times

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I felt Harsin called a good game but the players just didn’t execute enough.  We had OL with little push, TE’s missing blocks on pass pro, wildly inaccurate QB deep and short and when he was on the money we drops two in a row.  The plays were there all day.

This is what gives me hope. If we get some players in that can literally execute half of the time instead of 10%, we'll improve. Easier said than done, but it's not going to be hard to upgrade the offensive talent

• Like 1

Just now, shabby said:

My problem is less about the play calling and more about why DD wasn't ready to go or why Finley hadn't developed more this season. Every year we state that the back ups just weren't that good. it's time to take the approach of why weren't they that good. did they lack the raw talent or lack the development coaching?

Video leaked from bowl practice showed DD looking worse then Finely throwing the ball. May have something to do with it.

33 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm longtime Anti-Gus. I'm pro-Harsin hire. Don't even start with that. 

But are we ready to admit there are some serious game management red flags with CBH? 

This was almost an exact rerun of Alabama. We completely seized up again in the 4th quarter. 30 total yards. Huge momentum shift with the Wooten INT, similar to the late 4th down stops in the IB. Houston was on death's door.

But the 3 plays following that huge turnover couldn't have been worse. Two bombs. Going away from Tank, who had over 160 total yards.

And of course, DD deserved at least one series today. He couldn't have possibly been worse than TJ today.

The playcalling in non-clutch situations was better. But I don't know, man. The inability to finish games or situational play-call or make personnel decisions isn't going to be solved by the portal or recruiting. Somebody convince me this is a bug and not a feature.

Not convinced that Harsin is an SEC quality coach.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

Guess they saw TJ throw

Facts

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

We all see the same things. What those who harp on every blunder, bad play call fail to do is show any patience whatsoever when it comes to what is called a complete overhaul. IT TAKES TIME PEOPLE! For the love of God, IT IS FREAKING YEAR ONE!! Greatness takes time unless you like the flash in the pan roller coaster ride of inconsistency that we have had over the last 12 years?? Every single time I open this forum up the same group of people dominate with so much negativity. I purposely stayed off the game thread for this reason. We are not Alabama . GA A&M or Ohio St, but I think we will be but keep in mind: before they were who they are THEY STRUGGLED ALSO!!! It's past time to give it a rest already!! I am so close to just leaving this site because of the low football IQ and impatience as to what it takes to rebuild a program.

What does a rebuild have to do with clock management and play calling? 

We blew 28-0 against MSU, we blew 14-0 against USC, we blew 10-0 against Alabama. We blew another late lead today. 

All these late leads we built. They couldn't have happened without talent. If you have the talent to lead, you have the talent to win. This isn't about talent. Tired of hearing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Video leaked from bowl practice showed DD looking worse then Finely throwing the ball. May have something to do with it.

His ball looks like it floats. Drops 3 feet on a 10 yard pass. Just don't see the arm strength on him

9 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I like Harsin and I know it’s just 1 season but more fans should be more critical of him or we’ll stay mediocre for longer than we should. He’s an offensive coach who’s offense struggled, specifically in the 2nd half.

And yes I know these players aren’t “his guys” but what the offense showed is disappointing 

I agree. I don’t really care much about this game. However, there are many red flags. Boise fans warned us about Harsin’s stubbornness. He fired the WR coach early in the season and now he can’t hire an experienced OC, he ran off our legacy QB and now he can’t recruit a decent transfer QB… this is concerning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I felt Harsin called a good game but the players just didn’t execute enough.  We had OL with little push, TE’s missing blocks on pass pro, wildly inaccurate QB deep and short and when he was on the money we drops two in a row.  The plays were there all day.

Why didn't DD play?

Edited by AUght2win