Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

You make decent points there. The reason I am pessimistic about the offense is our recruiting on that side of the ball, plus seeing Bo transfer.

Don't worry too much.  O-line is certainly a concern and will take two years to completely fix.  That's a product of our former coach not signing HS linemen for several years.  Hoping we can use the portal and maybe a returning guy or two to patchwork a servicable line next year.

We have a couple of WRs coming in who can see immediate playing time, including one that can take the top off of a defense.  

One 4* RB has already signed and we are trending well with another.

Just signed a damn strong 4* QB.

Point being, its not as bleak as it looks.  Just gotta be a little patient.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Dye’s 1st year 5-6. Did the ‘81 team lose 3 critical starters to injury down the stretch? I don’t think so.

Never saw Dye lose five in a row, much less seven games in a year. And that 81 team was pretty damn weak with talent

But hey, you keep on changing history...

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Don't worry too much.  O-line is certainly a concern and will take two years to completely fix.  That's a product of our former coach not signing HS linemen for several years.  Hoping we can use the portal and maybe a returning guy or two to patchwork a servicable line next year.

Oh don't get me wrong, Gustavo left the OL cupboard pretty bare. But what Zeek had to say about our 2023 OL recruiting does not encourage me.

33 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I recall another idiot, from one of those western conferences, who coached at Auburn. After a difficult first year, Auburn went on to win 4 SEC championships while he coached here.

I also recall that guy got about 9 years of great experience from bear Bryant and Ken Donahue at alalbama

22 minutes ago, cbo said:

I agree on the first two. 2 of the last 3 weren't exactly crucial situations.

We can't just run Tank every play. I'm sure you know the OL did not block well enough to close out games with a 100% rushing attack. 10 minutes to go against Bama and we should hand it off for the rest of the game? 

It's very simple to me. As I stated in another thread, if basic execution would result in a huge gain or a TD, that is a good play call. 

An example of bad playcalling would be running 17 times in a row against, say, LSU. Although maybe that's what you are looking for because Tank is the only elite player on the entire offense. 

Don’t you know? Auburn is supposed run RB #1 into the ground. Just like Tank last year, Boobie, Kerryon, etc. Tank would have been down for the count, again, if this staff didn’t go out and get Hunter. But let’s forget all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I saw some things this year that I haven't seen in a long time, thus the optimism.

- Before Bo got hurt, he was actually showing growth.  That Arkansas game in particular was a thing of beauty.

- An offense that utilized multiple formations, routes, and consistently had plays for the TEs.

- Wide open guys everywhere.  Play calling can only scheme.  Can't throw it or catch it for the players.

- A defense that got infinitely better as the season went on.

- A freaking win in Baton Rouge

- Battling every single game.  Even the UGA game, we played hard.  I couldn't say that at times the last few years.

- Flipping recruits from LSU and Bama!

There are things that Harsin and crew need to work on (game management specifically), but I also love his introspective quote today about learning more this year than any other.  That shows me a coach who can identify his own weaknessess and work on them.

We have to probably be more patient than we want to be, but if we give this staff time, I think they can put together something to be extremely proud of long term.

Thanks for this take man, nice to see someone point out the reasons to be optimistic. Sincerely.

I'm not sure Harsin's the guy and found this year pretty disappointing tbh, but it would be wildly stupid not to give him another couple of years to see if he can turn things around.  At this point, we're committed to walking this path regardless. Hope you're proven right soon.

We should be tougher than this as a fan base.  We've been through worse (2012, anyone?).

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Are you trying to make my brain seize up?

2FF5077A-9C2A-4DD9-B7A6-0267CFA7638A.jpeg

1B643AB9-8A64-40F0-9885-37D5F254476D.jpeg

7C7F2843-2755-484B-8708-337C40BD840E.jpeg

A707A585-E676-4540-8968-C3EFE810FACD.gif

Having comprehension problems? Will not be out of a job because there will be significant improvements 

4 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Never saw Dye lose five in a row, much less seven games in a year. And that 81 team was pretty damn weak with talent

But hey, you keep on changing history...

Where did it change? Dye turned 2 programs around. Plus, 9 years under Bryant. Who else could we have gotten? Steele? Because that’s who the PTB wanted. I guess that’s who you wanted.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Tank had runs today of 10, 8, 8, 15, 32, 4 and 9. He averaged 5 YPC on 19 touches. It was inconsistent but it was there. It was the ONLY thing that was there.

Just to show you how clueless you really are, let’s take this post.   That’s 7 carries for 86 yards.  That leaves 12 carries for the remaining 12 yards for his total of 98 yards rushing.   If I got this right, that’s a 63% chance that he is only going to gain a yard on any particular carry.   So that is the only thing there?   

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

- Battling every single game.  Even the UGA game, we played hard.  I couldn't say that at times the last few years.

Eh, I mean I like the sentiment but the blown leads in so many of these losses down the stretch just really put a damper on any 'battling' being done. Once in the Miss State game against a tough scheme that starts firing on all cylinders? Okay I can give that a pass but the way we finished (something Harsin preached) in 3 straight games to the end the season was just pathetic.

1 minute ago, provibe said:

Having comprehension problems? Will not be out of a job because there will be significant improvements 

I see now the angle you’re going for. 😂 You feel without a doubt he will show significant improvement in the next two years. I hope you’re right, but decisions made the second half of this season have me less confident than I was in the first half of the season.

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Just to show you how clueless you really are, let’s take this post.   That’s 7 carries for 86 yards.  That leaves 12 carries for the remaining 12 yards for his total of 98 yards rushing.   If I got this right, that’s a 63% chance that he is only going to gain a yard on any particular carry.   So that is the only thing there?   

Now run the percentages on Finley’s long balls today. I kid….🤪

Edited by PigskinPat

I think we all know the OL needs a significant upgrade. I think we all know the WRs need to be better (though I'm encouraged with the improvement we're seeing with Kobe). So, yes there are talent & depth issues. And yes, Harsin deserves time to establish his culture, recruit his players, & build the program according to his vision. The recruiting improvement was encouraging, & I hope it'll improve still more in Feb. But with all of that, we were 6-2, had beaten Ark at their place & Ole Miss. Folks on here were starting to talk about getting a rematch with UGa & whether we could win this time (& get in the playoffs?). Even those of us who thought that was a stretch were still pleased & excited & hopeful. Even a poor showing at ATM was more of a come down to earth than a disaster. Next thing we knew we were up 28-3 against MSU, & then... What the hell happened? Even before Bo got hurt our 2nd half offense stagnated, & then got worse without him. We had leads & couldn't hold them. Could not make a play when we needed it. There were some questionable coaching decisions (going for 2 against MSU? fake punt? 4th & 1 call against SC? not going for 2 in the 1st OT against Bama--a questionable decision in the minds of many us; etc.). I want to be sold on Harsin. I want him to be the guy. I'm pulling for him. But I can only say right now that I have concerns. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Hmmm... almost like I was right about how we were getting stuffed in the 4th quarter by the 9 man box some people choose to ignore.

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

The reasoning is that he consistently overthrows the long throws to open receivers by a good 5 yards.  If he was barely missing them maybe there is a reason to keep going back to it but it’s not the receivers never had a chance to make a play on the ball.  

Our QB can and is expected to make those throws. He didn’t today. I’m not knocking him, he just didn’t get it done.

I’m sure he would tell you that he should have made those throws. 
 The play calls were spot on.

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

64ED0F7D-2338-4BA8-8B22-73855CEA9164.gif

😂laughed pretty hard at this.

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

What were the chances of TJ Finley hitting a crucial pass today? Were they better than Tank's chances to gain solid yards on the ground?

Auburn has a dreadful OL and QB. It’s no surprise they lost 7 games this year. I am worried about not having adequate OL or QB talent next year. They should doing everything possible to get whatever they can in the portal. 

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

What were the chances of TJ Finley hitting a crucial pass today? Were they better than Tank's chances to gain solid yards on the ground?

I’m not a football guy but if opponents answer to stop it was to put 8 or 9 people in the box they certainly thought it was the way to stop it.

6 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

So let’s play a game:

assign percentage of blame to the following factors (must add up to 100%)

Harsin:

Bobo:

OL:

QB play:

Defense:

Lack of overall talent: 

Gus: 

Illuminati/other: 

Injuries should be a group.