Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You don't recall correctly. I've complained consistently that in our most crucial situations, we don't put the ball in our best players' hands - Bigsby (or Hunter).

- 4th and goal on the 2 at PSU we run a fade.

- 4th and 1 at USC we run a deep seam to a TE.

- 10 minutes to go in the 4th up 10-0 against Bama and we throw a pick on first play following a turnover.

- 3rd and 2 to win the IB and we run a dive with absolutely no blocking help for Tank.

- 6 minutes to go up 3 against Houston and we run 2 bombs.

I've consistently wanted us to use our talent in the most crucial situations. We consistently haven't. 

And yes, typically going away from your strength or higher percentage plays in crucial downs IS bad play calling. Is there such a thing as bad playcalling if that isn't it?

Several of those were 9 men in the box short yardage situations with a weak oline.  In those situations statistically it is better to throw a tight-end pass after showing run with your personnel. Now not all of the passes called were passes I particularly agree with because some were very low percentage unlike tonight where both deep balls were high percentage completions for QBs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yep, hard to keep calling blitzes if it’s resulting in butt naked intermediate passes

Guys played on a different level, blitzes or not, vs Alabama. There’s a reason many of those individual performances were considered closer to outliers lol 

yeah several times, we blitz and they hit a pass right where the blitzer vacated

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You don't recall correctly. I've complained consistently that in our most crucial situations, we don't put the ball in our best players' hands - Bigsby (or Hunter).

- 4th and goal on the 2 at PSU we run a fade.

- 4th and 1 at USC we run a deep seam to a TE.

- 10 minutes to go in the 4th up 10-0 against Bama and we throw a pick on first play following a turnover.

- 3rd and 2 to win the IB and we run a dive with absolutely no blocking help for Tank.

- 6 minutes to go up 3 against Houston and we run 2 bombs.

I've consistently wanted us to use our talent in the most crucial situations. We consistently haven't. 

And yes, typically going away from your strength or higher percentage plays in crucial downs IS bad play calling. Is there such a thing as bad playcalling if that isn't it?

I agree on the first two. 2 of the last 3 weren't exactly crucial situations.

We can't just run Tank every play. I'm sure you know the OL did not block well enough to close out games with a 100% rushing attack. 10 minutes to go against Bama and we should hand it off for the rest of the game? 

It's very simple to me. As I stated in another thread, if basic execution would result in a huge gain or a TD, that is a good play call. 

An example of bad playcalling would be running 17 times in a row against, say, LSU. Although maybe that's what you are looking for because Tank is the only elite player on the entire offense. 

26 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

You’re assuming that Harsin didn’t have confidence in him to make the throw. What’s your reasoning behind this assertion?

The reasoning is that he consistently overthrows the long throws to open receivers by a good 5 yards.  If he was barely missing them maybe there is a reason to keep going back to it but it’s not the receivers never had a chance to make a play on the ball.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lala said:

1.   4th and 2 or 3rd and 2 runs do not work for us.   Been this way all yr. that’s why they did the jet sweeps
2.   What u would think is automatic is a QB sneak for less than a yd since we have a got a 9’0 tall 300 lb qb, but heck no.   Cannot even get 2 feet.  

Tank ran all over USC. He could have gotten 4th and 1 blindfolded. Tank had over 100 yards at PSU. The kid can play and make something out of nothing.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

But plenty of Auburn fans are not sold on him being the Next Best Thing, and with good reason. He hasn't earned our confidence yet, and things are kind of unsettling right now. He doesn't have a great personality and he hasn't shown that he's a great SEC coach so far. So many people have not warmed up to him yet and that's a reasonable response at this point. I know you hate to admit that Gus is not to blame.....but he has NOTHING to do with Harsin's lack of acceptance by lots of Auburn fans. Harsin is not an obvious good fit on the Plains and it remains to be seen if he works out. He's responsible for his own career at Auburn, and his own mistakes, including the mess that was 2021. 

This reminds of the sentiment back in '81 when Auburn hired an unknown coach out of Wyoming of the Western Athletic Conference.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

If we are sitting here at the end of the 2023 season with no significant improvement he absolutely will be out of a job.

Exactly- and I still stand by my statement!

1 minute ago, cbo said:

I agree on the first two. 2 of the last 3 weren't exactly crucial situations.

We can't just run Tank every play. I'm sure you know the OL did not block well enough to close out games with a 100% rushing attack. 10 minutes to go against Bama and we should hand it off for the rest of the game? 

It's very simple to me. As I stated in another thread, if basic execution would result in a huge gain or a TD, that is a good play call. 

An example of bad playcalling would be running 17 times in a row against, say, LSU. Although maybe that's what you are looking for because Tank is the only elite player on the entire offense. 

That's fair. There are just certain times where the goal is yards and running clock over points. Like with 10 minutes to go against Bama or 6 to go today. That's where I break things down into 2 choices. 

You could throw, which risks INTs and/or stopping the clock. 

Or you could run, which could get stuffed, but is safer and keeps the clock running.

Unless you have an elite, trustworthy passing attack, you always run late in the game.

We've been so bad passing the ball with TJ. Even with Bo we weren't great. I just don't see how CBH could think passing was the better option in all those situations this year. 

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This reminds of the sentiment back in '81 when Auburn hired an unknown coach out of Wyoming of the Western Athletic Conference.

Maybe, but I don’t blame anyone for not being completely sold on Harsin at this point. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

He wasn't exactly an unknown. An SEC alum and a Bear Bryant assistant. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Tank ran all over USC. He could have gotten 4th and 1 blindfolded. Tank had over 100 yards at PSU. The kid can play and make something out of nothing.

Stat, where u when I need u,  haha.

hey,   I love Tank!    We do not seem 2  get any push or open holes on known run down.   Just something that’s been happening for a couple yrs    

8 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

That unkown out of Wyoming didn't finish his first year losing five straight and looking completely lost.

I was hoping, but I don't think Harsin could tie Dye's shoes

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

That 5 ypc stat makes it sound like a great strategy but watching the game not so much.

Yeah. One rush for 13, followed by 2 for 1 yard each, is a net loss for the offense overall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lala said:

Stat, where u when I need u,  haha.

hey,   I love Tank!    We do not seem 2  get any push or open holes on known run down.   Just something that’s been happening for a couple yrs    

Well to simplify, you have two options in football. Do you think we're better at running or passing? For me, it's not even close. Do what you're best at when everything is on the line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That's fair. There are just certain times where the goal is yards and running clock over points. Like with 10 minutes to go against Bama or 6 to go today. That's where I break things down into 2 choices. 

You could throw, which risks INTs and/or stopping the clock. 

Or you could run, which could get stuffed, but is safer and keeps the clock running.

Unless you have an elite, trustworthy passing attack, you always run late in the game.

We've been so bad passing the ball with TJ. Even with Bo we weren't great. I just don't see how CBH could think passing was the better option in all those situations this year. 

I agree you want to run the ball in those situations. Everyone does. But you can't do that every play for 6 or 10 minutes when you are only up by one score.

And we are cherry picking a few plays out of many. It's not like we only passed the ball for the last 10 mins against Bama. We mostly ran it. 

I love Tank, but he was stopped for a yard or less 7 times today. It's happened all season. It's only worse when the D knows what's coming. 

TJ is a hundred feet tall and couldn't pick up a yard. And I completely agree we haven't passed the ball well all season, with TJ or Bo. Maybe that's my entire point. I would hate to call plays for this offense. The talent is not there. 

• Like 2

You should never be sold on anyone for 1 year or even 2. Have we not learned anything from the previous coaching staffs ? The idea is the long game and constant build. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I saw some things this year that I haven't seen in a long time, thus the optimism.

- Before Bo got hurt, he was actually showing growth.  That Arkansas game in particular was a thing of beauty.

- An offense that utilized multiple formations, routes, and consistently had plays for the TEs.

- Wide open guys everywhere.  Play calling can only scheme.  Can't throw it or catch it for the players.

- A defense that got infinitely better as the season went on.

- A freaking win in Baton Rouge

- Battling every single game.  Even the UGA game, we played hard.  I couldn't say that at times the last few years.

- Flipping recruits from LSU and Bama!

There are things that Harsin and crew need to work on (game management specifically), but I also love his introspective quote today about learning more this year than any other.  That shows me a coach who can identify his own weaknessess and work on them.

We have to probably be more patient than we want to be, but if we give this staff time, I think they can put together something to be extremely proud of long term.

You make decent points there. The reason I am pessimistic about the offense is our recruiting on that side of the ball, plus seeing Bo transfer.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

That unkown out of Wyoming didn't finish his first year losing five straight and looking completely lost.

I was hoping, but I don't think Harsin could tie Dye's shoes

Dye’s 1st year 5-6. Did the ‘81 team lose 3 critical starters to injury down the stretch? I don’t think so.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You should never be sold on anyone for 1 year or even 2. Have we not learned anything from the previous coaching staffs ? The idea is the long game and constant build. 

If he had a great personality like Gus I would be totally sold on him though…

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I saw some things this year that I haven't seen in a long time, thus the optimism.

- Before Bo got hurt, he was actually showing growth.  That Arkansas game in particular was a thing of beauty.

- An offense that utilized multiple formations, routes, and consistently had plays for the TEs.

- Wide open guys everywhere.  Play calling can only scheme.  Can't throw it or catch it for the players.

- A defense that got infinitely better as the season went on.

- A freaking win in Baton Rouge

- Battling every single game.  Even the UGA game, we played hard.  I couldn't say that at times the last few years.

- Flipping recruits from LSU and Bama!

There are things that Harsin and crew need to work on (game management specifically), but I also love his introspective quote today about learning more this year than any other.  That shows me a coach who can identify his own weaknessess and work on them.

We have to probably be more patient than we want to be, but if we give this staff time, I think they can put together something to be extremely proud of long term.

Great points we all need to hear. 

No one knows if Harsin will work out; only time will tell. But there are reasons for optimism. 

I also liked his quote about learning and I'm not sure why some are bashing it. The last coach's arrogance or insecurities made it impossible for him to learn and adjust. IMO, the #1 reason for his downfall. Saban is the greatest ever because he never stops learning. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Dye played at UGA , assistant at UA under Bryant and was an extremely successful head coach at East Carolina. He was not unknown, he was a proven HC that had recruited the area and was advised by Bryant not to take the job. Bryant knew what he could do. No where near the comparison with Harsin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

If he had a great personality like Gus I would be totally sold on him though…

“The players still haven’t quit on him.” It’s year 1. Most if not all games were competitive. We left some Victories on the field but   majority of that also came from poor execution. Am I happy about this season ? No. Do I feel like we got things to work towards ? Absolutely. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Huge difference. Dye was a veteran SEC player and coach under two great coaches......Butts and Bryant. Harsin is a good guy but so far over his head in the SEC. He just looks lost during games. 

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1