Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

6 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Rightly so. Not everyone was sold on Coach Dye either. And part of that was Dye being the former head coach of Wyoming. Out of the WAC. Prior conference affiliation should not be a measuring stick of a coach.

You're 100% correct on this. Urban Meyer had only coached at Bowling Green and Utah (back when they were still a Group of 5 school) when he got the Florida job in 2005. His 1st year at Florida he won 8 or 9 games and his 2nd year he won the National Title. He had never coached in the southeast as an assistant coach either so he didn't know the southeast region at all but he still made it work. Harsin is in that very same boat coming to Auburn. He had always been at Boise State except for 1 year as OC at Texas and his 1 year as head coach at Arkansas State. I'm not saying Harsin is the next Urban Meyer but what I am saying is that every coach has to start somewhere. Ryan Day and Kirby Smart were VERY lucky to get their first head coaching job at a big time program. Nick Saban started out at a small program also. I still feel like Harsin is the right man for the job. Just remember, Pat Dye's first season he went 5-6 and Tuberville's first season was also 5-6. We will be ok. 

It's never as good as it looks but it's also never as bad as it looks. WDE

Given what he inherited, I'm willing to give him some slack for this year.  I'm not saying I'm convinced he's going to end up getting the job done here, but neither am I convinced he won't.  There are things I like about his style that I believe are what we need but yes, our lack of ability to finish and make the clutch plays to win close games at the end are troubling.  Whether that's some sort of ingrained problem with CBH or just the result of pressing too much when you feel like you have no margin for error - trying to make something happen because you can't trust the guys on the field at various positions, I just don't know yet.

I'm going to support him and the team because barring some plunge to 4-8 or worse next season, he's here for at least two more years.  People throwing in the towel, calling for his head, and so on won't help anything in the meantime and if done enough on public message boards, could make things worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I recall another idiot, from one of those western conferences, who coached at Auburn. After a difficult first year, Auburn went on to win 4 SEC championships while he coached here.

Harsin coaching at Boise State doesn't mean he will fail in the SEC. Just like Dye did not fail after coaching at Wyoming, and at 1AA East Carolina. By the way, Sylvester Croom and Charlie Pell played for and coached under 

Nor does Harsin at BSU mean he will be a success in the SEC.  And if you want to equate Harsins experience to Dye and that Harsin is equally ready for the SEC as Dye then go right ahead.  But I know if there are two pools of coaches and 1 pool has only about 1 to 5 coaches out of 100 that can be a good coach in the SEC and another pool of coaches that has maybe 50 to 60 coaches out of 100 could make us a good coach then common sense tells me that attempting to get a coach from first pool ain't a bright move.

The verdict is still out for me. The board has unraveled a little the past few weeks. Win the games that you're in position to win and none of this is ever said. I know it's easier said than done. I know some have thrown in the towel already and although I was upset after losing each game I know my opinion won't change a thing. I honestly see both sides gripe. Yes, he inherited a bad situation that will take time to fix with a society that's not patient. At the same time we were in place to win most of the games that we lost, so it's leaves alot to be desired. How we lost is more concerning to me. I really hope he has learned from this year and we get the key pieces we need to compete next year. It could make the difference of 4-5 ADDITIONAL wins next year IMHO. WDE!!!!

Edited by Mcbowen327
Add text
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, shabby said:

I agree with you about the play calling not being the problem but how the players execute is also on the coaches isn't it?

Up to a point. The coaches can teach technique, can teach them who to block on a certain play, can teach them the routes to run and how to run them but the actual block, tackle, pass, catch is on the player. This year O-line was better at picking up Blitz's then in the past, there were less missed assignments but you still had to many dropped passes, bad throws.  Hudson and Johnson were better receivers by end of season, Bo's footwork was better this year, TE's were used properly this year, Defense got better as season went on so coaching was there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Mcbowen327 said:

The verdict is still out for me. The board has unraveled a little the past few weeks. Win the games that you're in position to win and none of this is ever said. I know it's easier said than done. I know some have thrown in the towel already and although I was upset after losing each game I know my opinion won't change a thing. I honestly see both sides gripe. Yes, he inherited a bad situation that will take time to fix with a society that's not patient. At the same time we were in place to win most of the games that we lost, so it's leaves alot to be desired. How we lost is more concerning to me. I really hope he has learned from this year and we get the key pieces we need to compete next year. It could make the difference of 4-5 ADDITIONAL wins next year IMHO. WDE!!!!

That’s my frustration as well. Losing games we aren’t suppose to lose. That is what kind of scares me. The positive is we were legitimately competitive in every game . The negative is the inability to convert some of those to wins , which BTW, some fans from his previous stint has said that can be problematic with him. We need to get past that stage 

• Like 1

Frustrating as this year has been, I think we need to chill. I think we just do not have all the pieces in place yet. We need to recruit hard and have a great spring. I just do not think you throw in the towel after year one. It took Shug 3 years to get going. it took Pat Dye and Tubs a second year. Let's not panic, just chalk this one up as a building block and be positive. Nothing will destroy a program more than lack of patience. Look at Tennessee and Florida for that.

Edited by AuburnKev
  • Like 1

We lost five straight games to end the season with a losing record.  Outside of the cupcake games, we really only looked good against Ole Miss.  This is not acceptable, but it may be what we get when our athletic director goes to the football hotbed of Idaho to hire a coach with no SEC experience.  Between donations, two club level seats, six seats in section 13, and two rooms at the conference center, I have a large investment in Auburn football each season - and I did not come close to getting what I paid for this season.  We regressed and if I were grading Harsin I would give him a sold D.  Allen Greene gets an F, which is more than he deserves.  Having said all that, I'll still be in the stands next year, hoping that somehow we will be better.  War Eagle, and than goodness for Bruce Pearl and Auburn basketball!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

12 hours ago, Didba said:

Go away Gus apologist

I wouldn't say he is that way at all.  He was also critical of Gus when needed.  He works on the medical staff for the team too.

You guys do know that we would've been blown out under Gus in at least one game against a rival looking very uncompetitive, it happened almost every year in his tenure. Now Harsin has us competitive in every game and yall are roasting him because we were so close to winning every game but fell short for want of a better QB/Oline. We are so close.

• Thanks 2

Just now, abw0004 said:

I wouldn't say he is that way at all.  He was also critical of Gus when needed.  He works on the medical staff for the team too.

If he agrees either tigerbelle and her fambly statements then yeah, he is probably a gus apologist

5 minutes ago, im4aual said:

We lost five straight games to end the season with a losing record.  Outside of the cupcake games, we really only looked good against Ole Miss.  This is not acceptable, but it may be what we get when our athletic director goes to the football hotbed of Idaho to hire a coach with no SEC experience.  Between donations, two club level seats, six seats in section 13, and two rooms at the conference center, I have a large investment in Auburn football each season - and I did not come close to getting what I paid for this season.  We regressed and if I were grading Harsin I would give him a sold D.  Allen Greene gets an F, which is more than he deserves.  Having said all that, I'll still be in the stands next year, hoping that somehow we will be better.  War Eagle, and than goodness for Bruce Pearl and Auburn basketball!

We only looked good against Ole Miss? Are you forgetting the Arky game and LSU game?

• Like 1

I do think Harsin deserves at least three seasons with us considering the massive overhaul he is having to do.  Installing completely new systems and replacing guys that transfer in year one with a brand new coach take time.

Having said that, my only concern is Boise State fans forewarned us about some of these things and they are coming to fruition.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do think Harsin deserves at least three seasons with us considering the massive overhaul he is having to do.  Installing completely new systems and replacing guys that transfer in year one with a brand new coach take time.

Having said that, my only concern is Boise State fans forewarned us about some of these things and they are coming to fruition.

Refresh my memory please. What were the things they warned about if you don’t mind? Don’t remember this. Very possible I wasn’t paying attention. 

13 minutes ago, im4aual said:

Thank-you for what you do for Auburn.   Based on what you give, you have either inherited money, been successful in business or both.   If it is either of the latter two, I'd bet you would say it didn't come easy, it took time and it took a lot of hard work.  Our current football situation is no different.   Please consider directing some of your investment toward NIL. It is the most direct way any of us can make a real difference.  Again, thanks for what you do for our beloved Tigers.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, jptiger said:

Refresh my memory please. What were the things they warned about if you don’t mind? Don’t remember this. Very possible I wasn’t paying attention. 

I can't remember everything but the one thing that stuck out to me is he will lose a few games each year that he was supposed to win and that we will make some really odd playcalls.  I don't have anything against his playcalls yesterday, with the exception of a few like throwing it on fourth and two.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, im4aual said:

For someone that spends so much money you sure have a selective memory.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I can't remember everything but the one thing that stuck out to me is he will lose a few games each year that he was supposed to win and that we will make some really odd playcalls.  I don't have anything against his playcalls yesterday, with the exception of a few like throwing it on fourth and two.

Throwing it on 4th and 2 after you lost yards previously on 3rd and 2 was the right call. The TE jet sweep on the other hand was a weird call

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

We only looked good against Ole Miss? Are you forgetting the Arky game and LSU game?

You actually think we looked good against LSU?

• Facepalm 1

At this point, my thoughts on Harsin is that he’s really really good at looking and sounding the part of a big time winning football coach, but I’m not confident that he actually is. If you put Josh Heupel, Mike Leach, and Bryan Harsin in front of someone who didn’t know anything about them, Harsin would be the guy that people predicted was a successful football coach. But looks and talking the talk just aren’t going to get him far in the SEC. 

The offense looks more “pro friendly”, but going off of production it’s worse than Gus’s crap.

Defense looks pretty good

S&C looks worse. The players looked beefier during the fall, but you can’t say that it’s improved after watching the 2nd half woes this season. 

If Harsin can’t find a decent QB and at least 3 SEC caliber offensive linemen this spring, I’d don’t think he will be the coach going into the 2023 season. Because I think we will have an even worse season next year.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

19 hours ago, aubaseball said:

You do realize that guys out there playing are on a football scholarship?!   The point is they should be capable of making at least a couple of those throws.  What exactly do you want the coach to do?   Let’s hear exactly what you would do?   

I want him to try something different when he knows that his players are not capable of doing what he wants.  This isn't a video game where you can keep punching the same buttons because they will eventually work.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

At this point, my thoughts on Harsin is that he’s really really good at looking and sounding the part of a big time winning football coach, but I’m not confident that he actually is. If you put Josh Heupel, Mike Leach, and Bryan Harsin in front of someone who didn’t know anything about them, Harsin would be the guy that people predicted was a successful football coach. But looks and talking the talk just aren’t going to get him far in the SEC. 

The offense looks more “pro friendly”, but going off of production it’s worse than Gus’s crap.

Defense looks pretty good

S&C looks worse. The players looked beefier during the fall, but you can’t say that it’s improved after watching the 2nd half woes this season. 

If Harsin can’t find a decent QB and at least 3 SEC caliber offensive linemen this spring, I’d don’t think he will be the coach going into the 2023 season. Because I think we will have an even worse season next year.

I agree.  I have said for a while..... Harsin wears the hat and boots, but I'm not sure that he can ride a horse or has ever owned cattle.  As they say in Texas, All hat and no cattle.

You can't demand you way to success.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The TE jet sweep wasn’t a bad play just bad time for it. UGA has done it with Bowers many times and the patriots have had success as well. With an over pursuing defense it most likely would have worked

• Like 1