Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Outside of the O-line, we have talent.

We have more than adequate talent to compete in the SEC.

We wouldn't have lead Bama for 59 minutes if our talent level was that depleted.

1) Our receivers kinda suck too if you want to be completely honest. Talent wise they’re probably our weakest in terms of skill positions easily. 

2) We competed in every game with the exception of the UGA game, where the aforementioned O-line did not do a damn thing. 

3) If this is an argument point, then let’s not forget Georgia State also led us for 59 minutes. 

In my previous job I worked in an NCAA athletic department. The common thought for smaller schools against big schools in any sport is we can “out-hustle” and “out-play” them for the first quarter/first half. But when the difference of depth and conditioning kicks in, is when the big teams pull away or save themselves from an “upset-alert.” 

Now is a lack of depth a reasonable excuse for this season? Yes. Does it allow me to accept and completely forgive what happened against Miss State or USC? No.

But the way we played against Ole Miss and Arkansas this past year at least showed me what can happen in the future for this program under CBH. 

Edited by Taco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That’s hilarious that someone would say this. Line play is crucial to the success of teams. Sam Pittman understood this when he came to Arkansas with him being a lineman and all. Some people steadily expose themselves. Line play should always be a top priority for coaches

• Like 3

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So you blame Harsin for calling good plays, that a player simply didn't execute?

It was a great call, the one after the pick. Wide open. Fooled the D.

I'm not going to blame a coach for that. It also is a way for Harsin to put Finley in those situations to see if he can perform.

It was a dang nothing bowl game...I'm not going to worry about certain play calls.

I thought Harsin called a really good game considering he had to take over after letting Bobo go. The only really bad call I remember is the jet sweep with Shenker. Not sure he's the right kind of athlete to run that near the goal line. A more athletic TE like King, yes.

On the last drive. Even with 2 yards to go, let's say Tank makes the first down. We still have 65 yards to go to win the game. Finley is going to have to pass.

And since Harsin called pass plays, the one to Tank was open. the ones to Hudson were open. Just poor execution when we needed it most.

Basically adopt this post and close the thread.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Didba said:

They were actually great calls, as I and many others on here have expressed.  High percentage passes that were open.  The players, both QB and WRs, just failed to execute. 

If we had called a run play on 3rd and 2, like you wanted it gets stuffed just like the last 3rd and 2 did when our olineman were a yard into our own backfield and the RB was hit by a defender two yards into the backfield.

No pass was high percentage with TJ yesterday. He couldn't even throw swing passes or hit out routes. You guys act like play-calls have nothing to do with personnel capabilities. 

If I dial up a pass to a guy with stone hands and he drops an open TD, is it a good play-call? If I run a QB draw with a guy that runs a 6.7 40, is it a good call? That's why "execution" and "the plays were there" is such a stupid argument. 

The guys currently on the roster can't physically execute what CBH is asking them to. Period. Coach to your talent and your strengths. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, Taco said:

1) Our receivers kinda suck too if you want to be completely honest. Talent wise they’re probably our weakest in terms of skill positions easily. 

2) We competed in every game with the exception of the UGA game, where the aforementioned O-line did not do a damn thing. 

3) If this is an argument point, then let’s not forget Georgia State also led us for 59 minutes. 

In my previous job I worked in an NCAA athletic department. The common thought for smaller schools against big schools in any sport is we can “out-hustle” and “out-play” them for the first quarter/first half. But when the difference of depth and conditioning kicks in, is when the big teams pull away or save themselves from an “upset-alert.” 

Now is a lack of depth a reasonable excuse for this season? Yes. Does it allow me to accept and completely forgive what happened against Miss State or USC? No.

But the way we played against Ole Miss and Arkansas this past year at least showed me what can happen in the future for this program under CBH. 

My main point was that Sam Pittman has won at Arkansas with the players he inherited. He's done more with less. Pittman had never been a HC as the FBS level. Arkansas is his first HC gig. 

Harsin's got a lot more talent to work with than Pittman does. None of Arkansas's starting O-line are 4 stars. They're all 3 stars. Their O-line is not that talented but Pittman has helped developed them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No pass was high percentage with TJ yesterday. He couldn't even throw swing passes or hit out routes. You guys act like play-calls have nothing to do with personnel capabilities. 

If I dial up a pass to a guy with stone hands and he drops an open TD, is it a good play-call? If I run a QB draw with a guy that runs a 6.7 40, is it a good call? That's why "execution" and "the plays were there" is such a stupid argument. 

The guys currently on the roster can't physically execute what CBH is asking them to. Period. Coach to your talent and your strengths. 

passing on short yardage was our strength. we got blown up running on 3rd and short. two yard loss.

And since Harsin called pass plays, the one to Tank was open. the ones to Hudson were open. Just poor execution when we needed it most.

It's just so crazy to think this way. 

"The plays were they. They would have worked if the guys on our team were just completely different, better players."

It's like buying triple-A batteries when you know you've got a double-A machine, and still expecting it to work. "These batteries are fine. It's the machine's fault for not working." 

It isn't capable of working with those batteries like our current QB isn't capable of hitting deep balls. Our players CAN'T do what Harsin is asking them to do right now. TJ couldn't make that throw 9 times out of 10! Trying to get water from a stone is absolutely bad play calling! 

The only truly proven commodity on this offense is Tank, and time and time again, with games on the line, the ball is not in his hands. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

My main point was that Sam Pittman has won at Arkansas with the players he inherited. He's done more with less. Pittman had never been a HC as the FBS level. Arkansas is his first HC gig. 

Harsin's got a lot more talent to work with than Pittman does. None of Arkansas's starting O-line are 4 stars. They're all 3 stars. Their O-line is not that talented but Pittman has helped developed them.

Does he though? Does Harsin have more talent then Pittman?

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I see what you're saying, but you can only dumb it down so much and still put your team in position to be competitive. At some point a D1 QB is going to have to hit throws, especially deep balls. Coach Pink from On3 estimates that Harsin only has 25% of the Boise playbook installed right now because of these issues.

The only other portal QB out there at the time that we had interest in was some random 3 star from Arizona that never saw the field for their awful team. I guess we could've started Loy or Trey Lindsey for the past three games, but come on now. Now he is absolutely under the gun to get portal QB's and Geriner ready, and will get the deserved credit or criticism

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Completely untrue. Emphatically so.

Negative ghost rider. You trying to say we didn't try to run and 3rd and 2 and lose yards? cause that happened. and would have happened again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It's just so crazy to think this way. 

"The plays were they. They would have worked if the guys on our team were just completely different, better players."

It's like buying triple-A batteries when you know you've got a double-A machine, and still expecting it to work. "These batteries are fine. It's the machine's fault for not working." 

It isn't capable of working with those batteries like our current QB isn't capable of hitting deep balls. Our players CAN'T do what Harsin is asking them to do right now. TJ couldn't make that throw 9 times out of 10! Trying to get water from a stone is absolutely bad play calling! 

The only truly proven commodity on this offense is Tank, and time and time again, with games on the line, the ball is not in his hands. 

not even tank can get a 1st down getting hit two yards in the backfield.

• Like 1

It was a dang nothing bowl game...I'm not going to worry about certain play calls.

This also doesn't help your credibility. We were on a historic 4 game skid, just lost our 3 year starting QB and were in danger of having a losing season. Add to the fact that Auburn fans turned out to support a less than stellar team. 

If you think yesterday didn't matter, you're just out of touch. We needed to win. We needed something positive going into the offseason.

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

This also doesn't help your credibility. We were on a historic 4 game skid, just lost our 3 year starting QB and were in danger of having a losing season. Add to the fact that Auburn fans turned out to support a less than stellar team. 

If you think yesterday didn't matter, you're just out of touch. We needed to win. We needed something positive going into the offseason.

Lots of positive that many people have pointed out. you just dont listen and can't see it.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

not even tank can get a 1st down getting hit two yards in the backfield.

For most of the day he didn't. 19 carries for 96 yards. Another 60 receiving. 

What's illuminating is your mentality is a Gus Malzahn mentality. He just calls plays, regardless of personnel. You call PLAYS for PLAYERS. Get the ball in the hands of your best athletes when it matters most. 

In 1982 we sent Bo over the top into the teeth of the Alabama D. We didn't let Randy Campbell throw a fade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Lots of positive that many people have pointed out. you just dont listen and can't see it.

There's a reason you're in the vast minority and responding to so many different people on here. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

I see what you're saying, but you can only dumb it down so much and still put your team in position to be competitive. At some point a D1 QB is going to have to hit throws, especially deep balls. Coach Pink from On3 estimates that Harsin only has 25% of the Boise playbook installed right now because of these issues.

The only other portal QB out there at the time that we had interest in was some random 3 star from Arizona that never saw the field for their awful team. I guess we could've started Loy or Trey Lindsey for the past three games, but come on now. Now he is absolutely under the gun to get portal QB's and Geriner ready, and will get the deserved credit or criticism

I'm just of the mind that playbooks become a point of vanity if you're unwilling to adapt it to your players. I know Harsin is a QB guy. He played it. He likes to throw. 

But we've got a 1st round NFL talent at running back and a terrible QB room right now. I would absolutely be okay if we at least went down swinging while using our best weapons. 

With our offense, I feel like I'm watching a righty trying to bat left. It's so damn frustrating. And it's no wonder Tank was on the verge of transferring.

4 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

You, sir, are one of the ones with whom is spoke of. I rarely see anything positive from you. You are what is called a fair weather fan.  

If I was a fair weather fan I wouldn't have anything to say. I wouldn't care. I wouldn't go through the downs. And let me tell you, these are some down times. 

I'm extremely positive when I see positive. I'm an optimist. I always believe Auburn can find a way. Go look at my post history.

But I'm not delusional, and I don't lie to myself. Lying to ourselves is how Gus stuck around for so long. You guys need to clam up if you can't stare problems in the face. Unconditional positivity is actually a very bad thing in any performance-based endeavor.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Taco said:

Those games give me hope too. I just can't fathom what happened over the next month. It really does boggle my mind. At the beginning of November it was more probable than not the IB was going to be a winner take all for the West. 

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Not arguing on what Pittman has accomplished. Let’s not forget he went 3-7 his first year, but his earned his hype going into 2021 by making an embarrassing Arkansas team into a competitive one. 

Let’s look past the stars for a little bit. Arkansas for all their faults under Chad Morris and lower recruiting rankings still recruited Olinemen more than Gus and his top-15 classes. I think it’s @bigbird who likes to point out in the last 3 recruiting classes for Gus, he only recruited 1 OT, compared to Arkansas who recruited 4 alone in the 2019 class. 

Our Oline recruiting since 2015, dare I even say back to 2013 has been very hodgepodge. Under-sized linemen, transfers who were supposed to be stopgaps, and just a lack of development and depth in the end in the position led us to where we are today. 

I would also argue about “a lot more talent” as well. Could you argue we have more talent? Sure. But a lot more? Eh.

And let’s not forget, we did handedly defeat Pittman and the Hogs this year before injuries and lack of depth took a toll on both of our lines. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There's a reason you're in the vast minority and responding to so many different people on here. 

Its the opposite man, look at the likes on my posts then look at yours. I have 10-15 likes on posts saying the same stuff I just said to you throughout the thread. You in the minority lmao.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes!!! Obviously, yes! You keep saying crazier and crazier stuff! 

lmao, you are so lacking in self awareness. The irony in this.

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

Not arguing on what Pittman has accomplished. Let’s not forget he went 3-7 his first year, but his earned his hype going into 2021 by making an embarrassing Arkansas team into a competitive one. 

Let’s look past the stars for a little bit. Arkansas for all their faults under Chad Morris and lower recruiting rankings still recruited Olinemen more than Gus and his top-15 classes. I think it’s @bigbird who likes to point out in the last 3 recruiting classes for Gus, he only recruited 1 OT, compared to Arkansas who recruited 4 alone in the 2019 class. 

Our Oline recruiting since 2015, dare I even say back to 2013 has been very hodgepodge. Under-sized linemen, transfers who were supposed to be stopgaps, and just a lack of development and depth in the end in the position led us to where we are today. 

I would also argue about “a lot more talent” as well. Could you argue we have more talent? Sure. But a lot more? Eh.

And let’s not forget, we did handedly defeat Pittman and the Hogs this year before injuries and lack of depth took a toll on both of our lines. 

@AUght2win this is what I am referring to when I asked does he actually have more talent

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm just of the mind that playbooks become a point of vanity if you're unwilling to adapt it to your players. I know Harsin is a QB guy. He played it. He likes to throw. 

But we've got a 1st round NFL talent at running back and a terrible QB room right now. I would absolutely be okay if we at least went down swinging while using our best weapons. 

With our offense, I feel like I'm watching a righty trying to bat left. It's so damn frustrating. And it's no wonder Tank was on the verge of transferring.

Trust me, I've been wanting to puke watching this offense since 2018. Just painful. Harsin and even Bobo deserve blame for not adapting better, as questionable as the talent is. I'm not here to absolve him at all. Now maybe he should've brought in a QB with him from the jump that could've started immediately, but I'd have to go back and look at who was in the portal last January. 

• Like 2