With Gus, Did we Ever Lose 5 in a Row?

shabby

Some of you are really exposing yourselves. Just say you don’t like CBH and I don’t think he is fit for Auburn. This idea that some fans are trying to defend a losing record is ludicrous. None of us our happy about a losing record and all of us believe there were games to be had. However, with all that being said, there are a handful of reasons to remain hopeful for the future. If you don’t think he is the guy just say it and move on. But quit acting like you are on the train when you are clearly not.

• Like 6

Why do we care where the 5 loses came?  We've had countless 6 loss seasons.  Does it really matter to some of you that they came in a row vs sprinkled through a really disappointing season?

Edited by W.E.D

7 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The last coach to lose 5 straight was Chizik. The last coach to end the season with 5 straight losses was Earl Brown…71 years ago. Losing 5 straight games at Auburn is almost impossible to achieve, yet…here we are.

Come on, Swamp...you know very well why previous coaches didn't lose 5 straight to lose the season.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Some of you are really exposing yourselves. Just say you don’t like CBH and I don’t think he is fit for Auburn. This idea that some fans are trying to defend a losing record is ludicrous. None of us our happy about a losing record and all of us believe there were games to be had. However, with all that being said, there are a handful of reasons to remain hopeful for the future. If you don’t think he is the guy just say it and move on. But quit acting like you are on the train when you are clearly not.

Attention getters. They keep saying the same things over and over. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Come on, Swamp...you know very well why previous coaches didn't lose 5 straight to lose the season.

I don’t care if there was historically a cupcake smattered somewhere in there, history says it’s very hard to lose 5 straight at a program as prestigious as Auburn. Period. 

And for the record, I’ve been supportive of Harsin, but a spade is a damn shovel.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I don’t care if there was historically a cupcake smattered somewhere in there, history says it’s very hard to lose 5 straight at a program as prestigious as Auburn. Period. 

And for the record, I’ve been supportive of Harsin, but a spade is a damn shovel.

First off, I do know you've been a CBH supporter, but using data in bad faith like others are trying to do, is not like you. 

Secondly, If one is unwilling to understand reasons why something occurs, then they truly don't want to discuss it. They just want to complain and use that talking point to bolster their argument. (Not pointing towards you)

Your right though, it's tough to lose 5 straight at AU...even more difficult to lose 5 straight to close out a season. However, if you delve into why, you'll understand that, historically having a cupcake, directional U type game before the IB will make it near impossible to lose 5 straight to close out the season.

That's a huge mitigating factor that some are either conveniently or purposefully ignoring when using this line of arguments. That's also why it's a weak and transparent metric to use. 

• Like 2

I'm telling you somebody on Twitter or on some other board said hey look at this stat and people ran with it without thinking......

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

First off, I do know you've been a CBH supporter, but using data in bad faith like others are trying to do, is not like you. 

Secondly, If one is unwilling to understand reasons why something occurs, then they truly don't want to discuss it. They just want to complain and use that talking point to bolster their argument. (Not pointing towards you)

Your right though, it's tough to lose 5 straight at AU...even more difficult to lose 5 straight to close out a season. However, if you delve into why, you'll understand that, historically having a cupcake, directional U type game before the IB will make it near impossible to lose 5 straight to close out the season.

That's a huge mitigating factor that some are either conveniently or purposefully ignoring when using this line of arguments. That's also why it's a weak and transparent metric to use. 

That’s fair. But no less frustrating. I hope it bothers the hell out of CBH more than it does some folks, though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm telling you somebody on Twitter or on some other board said hey this look at this stat and people ran with it without thinking......

No, Auburn actually fulfilled that stat by losing 5 straight to end the season. 

18 hours ago, DAG said:

I do like Harsin. I hate losing streaks.

• Like 1

Hate losing. Who gives a crap about a streak. There were worst seasons had recently. I doubt anybody hates losing but the oh.....this hasn't happened before is stupid. We had an even worse conference record not all that long ago. 

But 👌🏿 it's hard to do!

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I do like Harsin. I hate losing streaks.

Me too. I do think this team should’ve been an 8 win team. The interesting now is he can’t go anywhere else but up , so we should see that. Our previous coaches had success almost instantaneously and they could never match it. I am willing to play the long game if it is constant, sustained improvement 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

Me too. I do think this team should’ve been an 8 win team. The interesting now is he can’t go anywhere else but up , so we should see that. Our previous coaches had success almost instantaneously and they could never match it. I am willing to play the long game if it is constant, sustained improvement 

Bolded what I think is the most important part.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

A spade could be a playing card as well. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

A spade could be a playing card as well. 

And shovel can also be a verb, as in all these Harsin Haters like to shovel ish.  I don't usually do the prediction thing, but I'm making an exception to start off the New Year:  next season will be a gargantuan surprise to you Harsin Haters (you know who you are.)  Y'all gonna be like:    

giphy.gif

Under Gus?  Yes, we lost 5 or more games 3 years in a row. 2014, 15, and 16.  We then alternated between 4 and 5 losses a year for the rest of his tenure justifying the need to be terminated.  Time to move on, bro.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Our previous coaches had success almost instantaneously and they could never match it. I am willing to play the long game if it is constant, sustained improvement 

Had we gotten 10 wins so soon, I would have immediately said "Awww crap....I've seen this before! All the good stuff happens within the first 10 minutes and the rest of the movie sucks."

• Like 2

Gus lost the support of the fan base and alumni and CBH is gaining support from this same group even after losing the last five games. I think it’s way too early for anyone to be saying, “I told you so”. Give CBH a another year and things will be good.

• Like 1