With Gus, Did we Ever Lose 5 in a Row?

shabby

16 minutes ago, Dshep4au said:

First of all- Gus was 3 of 4 against bama with less talent every year. He always had a good game plan for them and would not have been throwing the ball with the lead midway through the 4th quarter. No doubt in my mind we win that game with Gus. And yes I think our defense would have been just as good under Steele. I know that we needed a change from Gus but I think we have downgraded and we are going in the wrong direction. I just am afraid we are now on the coaching carousel!

Oh. He'd have a game plan and the D would be just as good.....just because. Ok. 👌🏿

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shabby said:

I dont disagree. He failed to adapt offensively. There is however a disappointment in knowing the coach we fired probably would have done better with the same team. Harsin will get 3 years to turn it around im sure. But he ain't off to a great start. 

I don't think Harsin will get 3 years to turn it around, not with this fan base.  He better go 8-4 next year or I don't think he'll be able to handle the pressure!  And I don't see him going 8-4 here ever!!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Also no Gus wouldn't have is a better record. We don't have a big play wr. Bo can't throw deep. That's half of the offense right there. O line isn't good enough for us to just dominate running the ball and that's it. That's but other half of the offense. Under Gus the tight ends aren't in the offense. We don't have the fast reverse and outside running back

Gus isn't making this offense good. 

I think Gus would have won 2 more games. 7 or 8 wins is what he does. He had the advantage of having guys already in his system. His s***ty system, but still. Guys like playing for him.

He wouldn't have lost the transfer guys like Newkirk. Steele had a good defense. The offense would have still sucked, but would do just enough against bad teams. 

None of this really matters because the question misses the entire point.

• Haha 1

Also LMAO at Gus haters are wrong. People are wrong because the new coach is having a hard time over coming the hurdles that Gus himself created. Somehow Gus would fix everything how?

How can Gus run the back into the ground with no o line? How is he going to run his Cox cat? How are those long one route statue of liberty plays going to have time to develop? What wr was going to run all those wr screens? Gus was going to own what states in recruiting? 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, cbo said:

I think Gus would have won 2 more games. 7 or 8 wins is what he does. He had the advantage of having guys already in his system. His s***ty system, but still. Guys like playing for him.

He wouldn't have lost the transfer guys like Newkirk. Steele had a good defense. The offense would have still sucked, but would do just enough against bad teams. 

None of this really matters because the question misses the entire point.

Steele tried to take his job. He's not the D coord. What skill players does he have to do all of the same predictable stuff he's done year after year? You remember his offense when he didn't have a deep threat? Bo is going to do what without Seth and flash? There's no tight end play and no intermediate routes and no deep play wr. How would we move the ball? Besides peges at wildcat of course

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fieldturf said:

I don't think Harsin will get 3 years to turn it around, not with this fan base.  He better go 8-4 next year or I don't think he'll be able to handle the pressure!  And I don't see him going 8-4 here ever!!!

Not when a certain segment of the fan base WON’T give an inch UNTIL he’s great FIRST, AND, he “warms up” to THEM. Whatever that means. Some of our fans are NOT very hospitable. Are they?

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Steele tried to take his job. He's not the D coord. What skill players does he have to do all of the same predictable stuff he's done year after year? You remember his offense when he didn't have a deep threat? Bo is going to do what without Seth and flash? There's no tight end play and no intermediate routes and no deep play wr. How would we move the ball? Besides peges at wildcat of course

Haha, Pegues at the wildcat to save the day. You're right. I was thinking of the past predicting the future, but this team doesn't have the players for his very specific roles. This might have been the year he fully bottomed out. Part of me wishes we saw that to end this debate. But most of me doesn't. 

You continue to be the most logical person on this board. And I am being specific in my word choice. You always apply logic. 

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Haha, Pegues at the wildcat to save the day. You're right. I was thinking of the past predicting the future, but this team doesn't have the players for his very specific roles. This might have been the year he fully bottomed out. Part of me wishes we saw that to end this debate. But most of me doesn't. 

You continue to be the most logical person on this board. And I am being specific in my word choice. You always apply logic. 

That's what I'm trying to get the people saying the Gus save the day stuff to see. With our personnel Gus would've been in trouble with this team. The only rebuttal I have for myself is if he played canion or capers and one of them could have done a good Seth Williams big body box out impersonation. We didn't get to see them and what they could do.

And bro you're a much better poster than me. You're like me, loof, and dag mixed up in one. I have stuff to say but not too many want to hear me. You keep doing you. Like I said I put you up there with those guys. You guys keep the board from bursting in flames lol

• Thanks 1

I'd say Gus probably goes 1-4 down the stretch rather than 0-5, but who knows. 

I don't think he'd win with TJ against Bama, but he did take JJ into college station and get a win. 

I'm very frustrated about not winning since October, but I'd take my chances with Harsin. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cbo said:

This might have been the year he fully bottomed out.

It would have been. As others have said, without using the TE in his offense and no OL at all, Gus would have imploded. This offense has no OL, no WRs, and then lost Bo (who was much better than TJ but not that good either).
We can’t line up and get a yard. 1 yard. People want to know why we are not running tank in 3rd and 2. Because we can’t. We have tried it over and over the last 3 games. We can’t get a yard… unless we run it down the line so the OL does not have to block. It is unreal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's what I'm trying to get the people saying the Gus save the day stuff to see. With our personnel Gus would've been in trouble with this team. The only rebuttal I have for myself is if he played canion or capers and one of them could have done a good Seth Williams big body box out impersonation. We didn't get to see them and what they could do.

And bro you're a much better poster than me. You're like me, loof, and dag mixed up in one. I have stuff to say but not too many want to hear me. You keep doing you. Like I said I put you up there with those guys. You guys keep the board from bursting in flames lol

Appreciate it, Cole. Love what you bring to the board. If it weren't for you and the guys you mentioned, I would be long gone. 

And I'm sure we've said this before, but Seth was a badass college receiver. Probably have 2 or 3 more wins with him this year. And, yes, we called it before the season started. 

57 minutes ago, cbo said:

Honest question, don't want to argue. Are you saying people are wrong for wanting Gus fired or wrong for liking Harsin?

It’s OK, I’ve been saying for sometime now, it was probably time for Gus to go, but if you’re going to spend $30 some million to get rid of him, have a big name, top rated coach in holding. I never thought Harsin was it. 

Obviously, I hope I am dead wrong; but I really don’t think so. I’m afraid we are just going from one 8-4 coach to another.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

Really.  They should all just start wearing WWGD bracelets.  

😂

54 minutes ago, fieldturf said:

dunning-krueger effect here in full force

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Also LMAO at Gus haters are wrong. People are wrong because the new coach is having a hard time over coming the hurdles that Gus himself created. Somehow Gus would fix everything how?

How can Gus run the back into the ground with no o line? How is he going to run his Cox cat? How are those long one route statue of liberty plays going to have time to develop? What wr was going to run all those wr screens? Gus was going to own what states in recruiting? 

RT

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

MFing RT

44 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Not when a certain segment of the fan base WON’T give an inch UNTIL he’s great FIRST, AND, he “warms up” to the THEM. Whatever that means. Some of our fans are NOT very hospitable. Are they?

cough tigerbelle cough

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cbo said:

we made the right call to cut him loose early. this year likely would've been worse under Gus with no Steele defense

We don't make a bowl with Gus coaching this year's team and get skull drug by bama, like '08 type of embarrassment.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, shabby said:

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

Prolly not 5 in a row...

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Also no Gus wouldn't have is a better record. We don't have a big play wr. Bo can't throw deep. That's half of the offense right there. O line isn't good enough for us to just dominate running the ball and that's it. That's but other half of the offense. Under Gus the tight ends aren't in the offense. We don't have the fast reverse and outside running back

Gus isn't making this offense good. 

Gotta disagree man. 2 reasons. 

1. This is still basically Gus's team, he wasn't what we needed but the roster is still filled with his dudes. And despite me as a fan not liking him, players seemed to like him.... at least a majority.

2. No way in hell Harsin or Bobo has anywhere near the experience calling plays for an O with a suspect Oline like Gus does. :lol: 

People forget we didn't get rid of Gus cause he's some imbecile who can't tie his own shoes. He was mediocre, and what's worse... He was ok with mediocrity.

Harsin losing 7 in a year where Gus might have only lost 5 or 6 doesn't mean it was a mistake to move on from Gus. And doesn't mean Harsin can't get it done. 

It's just year 1. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

It’s OK, I’ve been saying for sometime now, it was probably time for Gus to go, but if you’re going to spend $30 some million to get rid of him, have a big name, top rated coach in holding. I never thought Harsin was it. 

Obviously, I hope I am dead wrong; but I really don’t think so. I’m afraid we are just going from one 8-4 coach to another.

We don't completely agree, but those are fair concerns. Thanks for the clarification. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Prolly not 5 in a row...

1. This is still basically Gus's team, he wasn't what we needed but the roster is still filled with his dudes. And despite me as a fan not liking him, players seemed to like him.... at least a majority.

2. No way in hell Harsin or Bobo has anywhere near the experience calling plays for an O with a suspect Oline like Gus does. :lol: 

People forget we didn't get rid of Gus cause he's some imbecile who can't tie his own shoes. He was mediocre, and what's worse... He was ok with mediocrity.

Harsin losing 7 in a year where Gus might have only lost 5 or 6 doesn't mean it was a mistake to move on from Gus. And doesn't mean Harsin can't get it done. 

It's just year 1. 

I don't get what guys like playing for him has to do with anything

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dshep4au said:

We would have been at minimum 8-4 going into the bowl game-We definitely would have beaten Alabama! At least 3 of the losses were stupid in game coaching decisions. I am afraid we are in for a few Barfield years. 

No 

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Prolly not 5 in a row...

It's just year 1. 

I think people keep forgetting that Gus basically had a losing record last year. Yea, on paper we beat Arky...but every damn person here knows that the refs gifted that game to them. Same for Ole Miss. 

All the folks acting like Gus wouldn't have gotten boat raced this year to the tune of 5-7 or worse is absolutely crazy, and we would still be 20 years without a dub in Death Valley.

• Like 1

I was not so sold on letting him go when we did, and I’m not a big fan of this coaching staff so far. But seriously… can we stop with the Gus comparisons. Gus is gone. There’s no way we hire him back. Comparing to his tenure is pointless. If you don’t like what Harsin is doing, say so. But stop comparing him to Gus.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No 

giphy.gif

I think people keep forgetting that Gus basically had a losing record last year. Yea, on paper we beat Arky...but every damn person here knows that the refs gifted that game to them. Same for Ole Miss. 

All the folks acting like Gus wouldn't have gotten boat raced this year to the tune of 5-7 or worse is absolutely crazy, and we would still be 20 years without a dub in Death Valley.

The ole Miss game evened out last year because Tanks TD was called back on a BS penalty. If u want to play the what if game  Auburn should have lost the GA St game this year. See how that works. Sometimes the calls go ur way sometimes they don’t.

The records are the records and Gus hasn’t had a losing record since he has been coaching so to say he would get boat raced to a 5-7 record or worse is really out there. He maybe mediocre is some opinion but let’s call a spade a spade he somehow finds a way to win 8 games more often than not.

Edited by e808
Typos
  • Like 1