With Gus, Did we Ever Lose 5 in a Row?

shabby

6 hours ago, shabby said:

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

Gus never had a losing season here. Now, it was time for a change but I'm not so sure we made a change for the better. I expected a 10-2 regular season and it wouldn't have taken much improvement to accomplish that. Instead our new staff took a team that finished 6-4 in big games under Gus and went 3-7 in big games.

Hiring a coach is a crap shoot and we'll have to give Harsin his three years to see if he pans out. However, he's not off to a good start..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Gus never had a losing season here. Now, it was time for a change but I'm not so sure we made a change for the better. I expected a 10-2 regular season and it wouldn't have taken much improvement to accomplish that. Instead our new staff took a team that finished 6-4 in big games under Gus and went 3-7 in big games.

Hiring a coach is a crap shoot and we'll have to give Harsin his three years to see if he pans out. However, he's not off to a good start..

Here is my like 👍🏿 since I am out of them.

• Thanks 1

I would also like to add that it would be hard to predict what this year would look like under the old regime. Maybe some of those players that either transferred or left early stayed. Don’t know how the recruiting may have finished or people transferring in. Everything is pretty much a guessing game on how this season would have went but there is data to give u an idea 

• Like 1

I think people are giving Gus too much credit. He may have picked up a win or two in the last 5 games, but he for sure would have lost us at least 2 before that. I don't know why we are making the assumption that obviously Gus would win all the games that Harsin won. It doesn't work like that. If you think that Gus would have a different effect on the games we lost, you have to acknowledge he would have had an effect on the games we won. Gus was not an all positive coach. He was inconsistent. I do not think our season would have looked any better under him this year. 

I can't wait for a few years to pass so we won't be able to talk about Gus's recruiting hurting us. I agree with the thought, but I am tired of hearing about this man. He still holds some responsibility for the position we are in due to some bad recruiting and I get that. Can we not just move on from him? I am so tired of seeing him put on some sort of pedestal.

I am not saying Harsin has done a stellar job this year and I am not saying that he has proven that he is better than Gus yet. We will have to wait and see how he turns out. I will say that I don't think the sky is falling as hard as some people seem to think it is. We are in year 1. It is unlikely we were going to have a great season this year. I understand the frustration. We were 6-2 at one point and it felt like we might pull off something great, but it didn't work out. In the end, our season looks a lot like a typical year 1 season and that is ok.

• Like 2

All I know is during the preseason people were claimingg Auburn would go 8 and 4 or 9 and 3. Reread your preseason prediction. And now six and seven seems to be acceptable because of the lack of players and talent levels at key position groups  Perhaps you guys were looking at Auburn and Bryan harsin with orange and blue glasses at the beginning of the season. Now you guys seem to be looking at Harsin with black and blue glasses.

I expected 6 and 6. Shooting off to a a 6-2 start raised those expectations. Only to see our team turn into the same team that barely beat Georgia state for the last 5 games. Harsin earned his pay check the first 8 games. The last 5 not so much. I eagerly await to see which coach Harsin turns out to be.  

I was all for a coaching change. My problem is that we brought a guy in that is getting on the job training for this level of football. It shows in how we finished and gave up leads in games. Many on his staff are getting the same OJT, so that is discouraging. Does Gus win more games this year if he was here? Probably so, but that does not mean he needed to be here this year. My concern is that we made the wrong hire and in all honesty it looks like the AD made a lazy hire. He did not work on it too hard. Of all the SEC teams that hired coaches in the last couple of years, ours looks the weakest. LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, TN, FL and even SC look like better hires. People say give him time, but in this SEC environment time is not something that there is much to give.

8 hours ago, e808 said:

The ole Miss game evened out last year because Tanks TD was called back on a BS penalty. If u want to play the what if game  Auburn should have lost the GA St game this year. See how that works. Sometimes the calls go ur way sometimes they don’t.

The records are the records and Gus hasn’t had a losing record since he has been coaching so to say he would get boat raced to a 5-7 record or worse is really out there. He maybe mediocre is some opinion but let’s call a spade a spade he somehow finds a way to win 8 games more often than not.

Fair enough....I am not arguing the GA ST game...I agree it works both ways. Is it really out there that Gus would have lost 6-7 games this year? You think he finally wins in Death Valley? Or wait...he goes to Happy Valley week 3 and pulls out a win when we all know it takes him 4-5 games to even know what he has, but yet Gus would win 8-9 games this year because they are his players?  So we are likely sitting 6-7 or worse with Gus this year, and the worse part is there is no hope in sight for anything better if we still have Gus.

Truth is if Gus was here we probably end up same record or worse. I think Gus probably wins MSST but loses LSU. 

I also disagree with whoever said the Defense would have been just as good, because we probably keep Newkirk and Truesdell but don't get the transfers we had on DL which made a huge impact. I don't think Hall makes the jumps he made this year with the old staff either so pass rush still piss poor. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

That maybe as simple as scheduling and injury this year.

Not sure what you mean by that.  This year included 3 cupcake games that were not on last year's schedule.  With last year's schedule, this staff would have won 3 games.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, gabo4au said:

When everyone thinks it can't get any worse. We didn't make this list!

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-most-disappointing-teams-during-2021-season-179217595/

So yea, it can get worse, ask any of the fans from those programs. 

The list was a bit ridiculous IMO. Certainly Clemson with a potential 10 win season should not be there.

Lmao at saying Gus would win because he hasn't lost a certain amount of games before......I love talking football but you have to avoid some people

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Fair enough....I am not arguing the GA ST game...I agree it works both ways. Is it really out there that Gus would have lost 6-7 games this year? You think he finally wins in Death Valley? Or wait...he goes to Happy Valley week 3 and pulls out a win when we all know it takes him 4-5 games to even know what he has, but yet Gus would win 8-9 games this year because they are his players?  So we are likely sitting 6-7 or worse with Gus this year, and the worse part is there is no hope in sight for anything better if we still have Gus.

Truth is if Gus was here we probably end up same record or worse. I think Gus probably wins MSST but loses LSU. 

I also disagree with whoever said the Defense would have been just as good, because we probably keep Newkirk and Truesdell but don't get the transfers we had on DL which made a huge impact. I don't think Hall makes the jumps he made this year with the old staff either so pass rush still piss poor. 

The truth is no one actually knows what it would be and are all giving different opinions of what we think might happen with no way to know.

The fact that we do know is there were no losing seasons during his tenure hate him or love him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

This sums it up for me. Let's see how he does after 3 years.  After his first year do we have have hope that next year will be better. Do we have a better idea of who our team is and how they will compete? Do we have the pieces to make next year an offensive success? That's a big no to 3 important questions. Hopefully a competent qb a coach that can develop him and a few offensive linemen will manifest. 

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lmao at saying Gus would win because he hasn't lost a certain amount of games before......I love talking football but you have to avoid some people

Why do you feel a discussion about whether we would have gotten better results from our prior coach with the results we got from our current coach that we paid a tremendous buyout to hire isn't worthy of discussion. One year in and do we know what our identity is as a team? 2 coaches fired. No qb on roster that has the potential to compete. This year has been a bust pretty much. What Harsin has done this year doesn't earn him a free pass simply because it was his first year. 

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

Why do you feel a discussion about whether we would have gotten better results from our prior coach with the results we got from our current coach that we paid a tremendous buyout to hire isn't worthy of discussion. One year in and do we know what our identity is as a team? 2 coaches fired. No qb on roster that has the potential to compete. This year has been a bust pretty much. What Harsin has done this year doesn't earn him a free pass simply because it was his first year. 

Because all the suppositions are just guesses slanted toward whatever side of the Gus question you are in. But still just guesses and has zero influence where the program is now.

28 minutes ago, shabby said:

Because I know the coach wouldn't have. Because you don't know there isn't a qb on the roster. And lastly the problems we have on offense is because of the former coach. 

Trying to pretend Gus was a good coach is just laughable. He had his own bust season

26 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Because all the suppositions are just guesses slanted toward whatever side of the Gus question you are in. But still just guesses and has zero influence where the program is now.

I'm on the side that we needed to replace Gus but question whether we got a better coach in the process. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Because I know the coach wouldn't have. Because you don't know there isn't a qb on the roster. And lastly the problems we have on offense is because of the former coach. 

Trying to pretend Gus was a good coach is just laughable. He had his own bust season

You seem very objective.....

Just now, shabby said:

You seem very objective.....

As opposed to you complaining and waiting an entire year and you didn't really get the season you needed but oh well go ahead any way. 

But anything that I say that isn't correct feel free to show

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

As opposed to you complaining and waiting an entire year and you didn't really get the season you needed but oh well go ahead any way. 

But anything that I say that isn't correct feel free to show

The fact that Gus went 6 and 4 against all SEC competition with virtually the same roster. Let's start with that. The fact that the team went 6 and 2 to start showed the potential of the team before the great collapse.  Squandered half time leads from a coach that failed to make adjustments when things stopped working. There is a whole lot of things to discuss

39 minutes ago, shabby said:

Because you are comparing year 9 of Gus to year 1 of CBH. Do you know how dumb and illogical that is? These are not CBH players, he is trying to establish a new culture and system. Does that mean we should’ve been 6-7? I don’t think so. Did some of the contextual stuff impact our record? Probably so. Would Gus have won 8 games with this team? Maybe and he should since this is his players ? Is that 100% true? I wouldn’t say so as recruiting was tanking last year and Nix hit a freaking Apex with him. Who knows what the offense would’ve looked like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because you are comparing year 9 of Gus to year 1 of CBH. Do you know how dumb and illogical that is? These are not CBH players, he is trying to establish a new culture and system. Does that mean we should’ve been 6-7? I don’t think so. Did some of the contextual stuff impact our record? Probably so. Would Gus have won 8 games with this team? Maybe and he should since this is his players ? Is that 100% true? I wouldn’t say so as recruiting was tanking last year and Nix hit a freaking Apex with him. Who knows what the offense would’ve looked like. 

And all of that is relevant to the discussion. Just as it's relevant to discuss why Gus went 6 and 4 with all SEC Competition with virtually the same team. There are points of comparison and what you say is also valid that culture change and putting in a system takes time. Its a discussion.. if you feel it ain't worthy of your interest then post elsewhere. It's really that simple isn't it?