With Gus, Did we Ever Lose 5 in a Row?

shabby

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

You know it is about more than that.  You have to admit that we only won 3 games other than State, State and Akron.  They have a point.

Once again I can't control what other people think. I can only say it was stupid to think we were going to have some unbelievable season this year. I can't help when other people can't understand the impact of certain positions.

Most of you all are hilarious arguing over this. You're arguing that the new guy didn't do good enough to overcome all of the many hurdles the old guy left. Then want to fantasize about how well the old guy would've done.....or what would he do in the future as if we haven't seen what he'd do. 

This isn't even the fan base as a whole this is a group of you that loved the thought of having a boring, non competitive, man at the helm because he fits the look of what you all THINK is an Auburn man.

That Auburn man b.s.is probably the most detrimental thing to hit this program

• Like 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Only if you think taking a UCF team that was 6-4 last year and turning it into a 9-4 team with a win over Florida in a bowl game is a bust.

Quoting cole 256: "But anything that I say that isn't correct feel free to show"  Since you requested it, look above. ^

He actually outdid my expectations for him. Figured Gus would do better in a less extreme conference. But honestly thought UCF might still be too big a table for Gus to eat at.

Though it is just his first year, he came away with a couple more wins than I would have guessed for him.

Then again, it's worse than his first year at Auburn with a previously 3-9 team :lol: 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Only if you think taking a UCF team that was 6-4 last year and turning it into a 9-4 team with a win over Florida in a bowl game is a bust.

Quoting cole 256: "But anything that I say that isn't correct feel free to show"  Since you requested it, look above. ^

I'm wrong huh? Because you just tried to do what you do on here all the time? Manipulate an argument by using some stats without context?

So what did EVERYBODY pick ucf record to be for this season? Can you find more than 3 people who predicted ucf to have less than 10 wins? 

I admit stating their record previously to pretend that they didn't have high expectations will fool a majority on here.....but ucf walked into 90% of their games with an abundance of talent. Much more than their opponents. And good thing they did catch a coachless Florida team for a bowl game. Because they would've just been an 8 win team.

The two teams they were supposed to compete with that had any chance of even offering resistance was smu and Cincinnati. And it just so happen that the doors were blown off them those games.

The same how here we'd beat the hell out of arky but when it was time to play uga and bammer more times than not we looked like a jv squad

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

It's just hilarious that anyone would bring up Gus freaking Malzahn as a first year barometer. 

Like, does anyone here seriously not understand that he is the #1 reason you don't judge a coach by his first year?

Oh well. This is where I remind myself to stop and enjoy the melt.

The melt is delicious. Did you try the melt? That's good melt!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The same how here we'd beat the hell out of arky but when it was time to play uga and bammer more times than not we looked like a jv squad

I never thought we looked like a jv squad although I definitely despised Chad Morris' bubble screen offense which ironically so many were dying for him to be our head coach a few years prior. However this is what I'm talking about with unrealistic expectations at auburn. Bama and Georgia are two programs who are going to have years where they make you look far less capable because they are that loaded. I fully expect this to be the case with Harsin too unfortunately. The issue with Malzahn wasn't losing to those teams, it was losses in the post season, at Florida and at home to Tennessee and on the road at LSU that significantly hurt him in my opinion.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Once again I can't control what other people think. I can only say it was stupid to think we were going to have some unbelievable season this year. I can't help when other people can't understand the impact of certain positions.

Most of you all are hilarious arguing over this. You're arguing that the new guy didn't do good enough to overcome all of the many hurdles the old guy left. Then want to fantasize about how well the old guy would've done.....or what would he do in the future as if we haven't seen what he'd do. 

This isn't even the fan base as a whole this is a group of you that loved the thought of having a boring, non competitive, man at the helm because he fits the look of what you all THINK is an Auburn man.

That Auburn man b.s.is probably the most detrimental thing to hit this program

No.  To be clear, I am simply arguing that the current HC did a piss poor job at times and failed to get the most from the talent on his roster.  There was enough talent on the roster to win 9 games, much less 7.  I have never argue about someone looking the part of being an "Auburn man."  I will point out that if someone under performs, the last thing they need to do is be more of an ass hat.  That is true whether you are coaching at LSU, Iowa, Florida or any place in between.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Cristobal, Sark, Lanning, Freeze to name a few

You saw what Sark did at Texas, right?  He lost to Kansas at home.  Texas is also loaded with talent.  Cristobal is a terrible coach, but he can recruit.  Freeze isn't ever getting another SEC job.  No one even knew who Lanning was last year

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm wrong huh? Because you just tried to do what you do on here all the time? Manipulate an argument by using some stats without context?

So what did EVERYBODY pick ucf record to be for this season? Can you find more than 3 people who predicted ucf to have less than 10 wins? 

I admit stating their record previously to pretend that they didn't have high expectations will fool a majority on here.....but ucf walked into 90% of their games with an abundance of talent. Much more than their opponents. And good thing they did catch a coachless Florida team for a bowl game. Because they would've just been an 8 win team.

The two teams they were supposed to compete with that had any chance of even offering resistance was smu and Cincinnati. And it just so happen that the doors were blown off them those games.

Ok let’s  break this down one team won 9 and the other won 6. U said UCF lucked up and beat a Florida team with no coach. Still across the board Florida has more talent. UCF has a new coach and a 1st year DC that it was alleged he couldn’t read a defense. Also there is a true freshmen at the helm that isn’t very good but they managed to win 9 games. Granted there was a bad loss at Navy

Auburn had a backup at quarterback that’s 0-3 and not a true freshman. Realistically take Bo out of the equation how many games does Auburn win with TJ based on the current trajectory. He should be getting better coaching at the position than the latter. It’s safe to say that the current coach was learning on the job based on the comments made. Much respect to him and let’s see how that translates into the spring.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You saw what Sark did at Texas, right?  He lost to Kansas at home.  Texas is also loaded with talent.  Cristobal is a terrible coach, but he can recruit.  Freeze isn't ever getting another SEC job.  No one even knew who Lanning was last year

If  you line up all those names last year before anyone was hired and included Harsin on that list, do you think anyone knew who Harsin was and would have chosen him over the others. Oh and by the way, Harsin lost his last five games, something that hasn't been accomplished at Auburn in over 70 years.

I think Gus finally built his perfect staff his final year he was here. They didn’t get a true year to implement their system because of COVID. He finally addressed the biggest issue which was oline recruiting. He addressed it by hiring a reputable OC and OL coach. Offensive linemen didn’t want to play in a high school offense and Chad Morris’s offense, while similar, never had a problem producing NFL talent. The new OL coach hire had several years of coaching in the NFL and was becoming a solid recruiter in college (better than JB).

I believe we would have had more star players return like Seth and track star. I don’t think the two DTs leave for Florida which would have gave us quality depth in the interior of the D line. With the SEC down this year it would have been a great opportunity for the team. All that said I think Gus would have had a very solid chance of getting to the SEC championship and even possibly the playoff. 

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

If  you line up all those names last year before anyone was hired and included Harsin on that list, do you think anyone knew who Harsin was and would have chosen him over the others. Oh and by the way, Harsin lost his last five games, something that hasn't been accomplished at Auburn in over 70 years.

Everyone except Lanning and Freeze, yeah.

If Harsin is still losing 5 in a row in year 3 or 4, these points would be valid. Losing yhe last 4 bc your sole QB is hurt isn't completely on Harsin.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, shabby said:

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

Gus would have coached this team to 7-5.  Trade the LSU win for a Miss State win

29 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I think Gus finally built his perfect staff his final year he was here. They didn’t get a true year to implement their system because of COVID. He finally addressed the biggest issue which was oline recruiting. He addressed it by hiring a reputable OC and OL coach. Offensive linemen didn’t want to play in a high school offense and Chad Morris’s offense, while similar, never had a problem producing NFL talent. The new OL coach hire had several years of coaching in the NFL and was becoming a solid recruiter in college (better than JB).

I believe we would have had more star players return like Seth and track star. I don’t think the two DTs leave for Florida which would have gave us quality depth in the interior of the D line. With the SEC down this year it would have been a great opportunity for the team. All that said I think Gus would have had a very solid chance of getting to the SEC championship and even possibly the playoff. 

It’s gotten so bad I really thought this was serious at my first read. 

• Like 2

And once again people using stupid metrics like lost the last 5 games.....You don't think that maybe because we play bammer and the usually we scheduled a suck team to really use them for extra time to prepare for bammer wouldn't influence that dumb metric?

I don't understand how it's so hard for some of you to see or comprehend that we are a team that doesn't have depth. Yes we're going to breakdown at the end of the season and the second half of games. 

It's the same people though. The same people crying are the same people that offer that good riddance when a guy leaves because he was just a back up that didn't produce. Then we get here and they are like we lost games at the end of the year. Gus neverwould've let us lose...... It's the reason mason called games the way he did but same people wanting to run him out. Can't tell some of you nothing.

Try to explain stuff and then people argue you up and down about it, and when they are wrong they'll hit with the you know it all. 

It's all about agendas bro. I remember when I pointed out about some things a player said and it was against Bo or something like that so people all over me about players didn't know s***. (As absolutely stupid as that is) but this week some players said some stuff that people wanted to hear so this week it was look at this!!!

I don't care about talking football, but it's a waste of time arguing with some because it's simply an agenda. There was literally a group of people hoping we'd do bad because they love Gus so much. I'm not trying to argue with those people

• Like 1
  • Love 2

When people point out current events it’s makes them out to be the villain. My stance when CBH was hired was that he was in over his head had nothing to do with Gus. The coach pretty much admitted it in not so many words. It was based solely on watching MWC games. Most in the Central and Eastern time zones don’t get a chance to watch those games. If u had some might have a different type of optimism going in. IMO Freeze or Cristobal would have been my top 2.  As it was stated even Boise fans pointed out things to be aware of as it showed this year.

Even with all that CBH did have a good recruiting class and made a great chess move with Reed. Now moving forward hoping this year’s learning experience yields great results moving forward. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Ok let’s  break this down one team won 9 and the other won 6. U said UCF lucked up and beat a Florida team with no coach. Still across the board Florida has more talent. UCF has a new coach and a 1st year DC that it was alleged he couldn’t read a defense. Also there is a true freshmen at the helm that isn’t very good but they managed to win 9 games. Granted there was a bad loss at Navy

Auburn had a backup at quarterback that’s 0-3 and not a true freshman. Realistically take Bo out of the equation how many games does Auburn win with TJ based on the current trajectory. He should be getting better coaching at the position than the latter. It’s safe to say that the current coach was learning on the job based on the comments made. Much respect to him and let’s see how that translates into the spring.

No I said they lucked up to get Florida as an opponent. I didn't say they lucked up and won.

And exactly, to you it's as simple as saying one team won 9 and another team won 6......that's where you're at. You think his comments was him saying he was learning on the job.....we're two different mindsets. We're not close in how we view the game. So you believe what you want is all I can say.

Some of the stuff you've said on here is crazy in my eyes

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I said they lucked up to get Florida as an opponent. I didn't say they lucked up and won.

And exactly, to you it's as simple as saying one team won 9 and another team won 6......that's where you're at. You think his comments was him saying he was learning on the job.....we're two different mindsets. We're not close in how we view the game. So you believe what you want is all I can say.

Some of the stuff you've said on here is crazy in my eyes

Thanks I value ur opinion so much that it ruined my day. 🤣

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Thanks I value ur opinion so much that it ruined my day. 🤣

Lol more of my point. You read my post and took it as a slight somehow.....people see what they want. 

And I guess you would also believe that your opinion does have some high value? You are some type of high quality poster?  😂 

Wow

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

No.  To be clear, I am simply arguing that the current HC did a piss poor job at times and failed to get the most from the talent on his roster.  There was enough talent on the roster to win 9 games, much less 7.  I have never argue about someone looking the part of being an "Auburn man."  I will point out that if someone under performs, the last thing they need to do is be more of an ass hat.  That is true whether you are coaching at LSU, Iowa, Florida or any place in between.

I love what he brings to the table, he is not going to let YOU tell him what YOU want him to do?!?! what was last year record?? why is that he should have won more with basically the same roster from a year ago? why didn't the last coach have won more last year? waiting

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol more of my point. You read my post and took it as a slight somehow.....people see what they want. 

And I guess you would also believe that your opinion does have some high value? You are some type of high quality poster?  😂 

Wow

Never claimed to be a high quality poster. Just a regular person on here with an opinion. U said specifically that my posts are crazy in your eyes ( I could care less). If that isn’t opinionated IDK what is. 
 However u need direct insults to people when u seem to can’t stay on topic . Like calling people idiots and clowns. 

Edited by e808

28 minutes ago, e808 said:

When people point out current events it’s makes them out to be the villain. My stance when CBH was hired was that he was in over his head had nothing to do with Gus. The coach pretty much admitted it in not so many words. It was based solely on watching MWC games. Most in the Central and Eastern time zones don’t get a chance to watch those games. If u had some might have a different type of optimism going in. IMO Freeze or Cristobal would have been my top 2.  As it was stated even Boise fans pointed out things to be aware of as it showed this year.

Even with all that CBH did have a good recruiting class and made a great chess move with Reed. Now moving forward hoping this year’s learning experience yields great results moving forward. 

So, nobody has touched Freeze, and Mario is out running his firing because he is a hired recruiter not a good head coach. Who was next on your list? 

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

Never claimed to be a high quality poster. Just a regular person on here with an opinion. U said specifically that my posts are crazy in your eyes ( I could care less). If that isn’t opinionated IDK what is. 
 However u need direct insults to people when u seem to can’t stay on topic . Like calling people idiots and clowns. 

When did I say something isn't opinionated. Point out my posts calling people idiots. Most of the stuff doesn'tmake sense to me (saying it's crazy to me isn't an insult) that's the entire point people are going to believe what they want. 

But yeah instead of quoting me then feeling a type of way when I reply we can just not talk. Instead of your go to you are a bad person, you disagreed with me thing that you do

Edited by cole256

4 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

So, nobody has touched Freeze, and Mario is out running his firing because he is a hired recruiter not a good head coach. Who was next on your list? 

Fickell and Aranda

• Like 1