Pittman

bigbird

When Arkansas hired him I loved the hire but many laughed at it. His first year he went 3-7 and this year 8-4.  Culture and attitude isn't fixed in one year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When Arkansas hired him I loved the hire but many laughed at it. His first year he went 3-7 and this year 8-4.  Culture and attitude isn't fixed in one year.

I pray you're as correct on CBH as you were CSP. The job CSP has done is absolutely phenomenal. They had the worst league record in the SEC the first eight years of the expansion (yes, behind Vanderbilt).

9-4 would be an equally great second year for CBH too.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

True but was culture and attitude our problem at auburn to begin with? I don't think it was one of the top 3 issues. Pittman has done a great job for sure. 

Harsin reported not long after arriving at AU that players were missing meetings and practices.   Culture was a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

culture and attitude

Both were huge issues take a look at how many players were processed. Both were just as big as OL problems

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Harsin reported not long after arriving at AU that players were missing meetings and practices.   Culture was a problem.

Hmm, I hadn't heard that. Good to know. Last I heard was Bigsby missing our first two bowl practices but I assume that was for a reason that was on the up and up.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

14 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Hmm, I hadn't heard that. Good to know. Last I heard was Bigsby missing our first two bowl practices but I assume that was for a reason that was on the up and up. 

Like Methuselah said, it was a major issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

True but was culture and attitude our problem at auburn to begin with? I don't think it was one of the top 3 issues. Pittman has done a great job for sure. 

Dude.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude.

What? How do we know we had players missing practice prior to a coach being let go end of year.. If we know that then yeah we had a culture issue if not then we had a team that was deflated, conflicted and reeling with apathy after the fact which seems more likely to me which isn't indicative of some long standing systemic culture issue. This isn't some gus apologist angle I am just asking questions and stating my opinion because I hadn't heard of nor did I see some big culture issue within the football team itself during the main portion of the season last year. 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1

Just now, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

What? How do we know we had players missing practice prior to a coach being let go end of year.. If we know that then yeah we had a culture issue if not then we had a team that was deflated, conflicted and reeling with apathy after the fact which seems more likely to me. This isn't some gus apologist angle I am just asking questions and stating my opinion because I hadn't heard of nor did I see some big culture issue within the football team itself during the main portion of the season last year. 

Okay.

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

What? How do we know we had players missing practice prior to a coach being let go end of year.. If we know that then yeah we had a culture issue if not then we had a team that was deflated, conflicted and reeling with apathy after the fact which seems more likely to me which isn't indicative of some long standing systemic culture issue. This isn't some gus apologist angle I am just asking questions and stating my opinion because I hadn't heard of nor did I see some big culture issue within the football team itself during the main portion of the season last year. 

Gus never had big discipline issues or kids in a lot of legal trouble. He had a good graduation rate. 

There were probably players who were unhappy with the coaching change and weren't ready to accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

3 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

We don't need to know if the players were missing practice or meetings with Gus to recognize an attitude problem with those who were doing that with Harsin. It shouldn't matter who the HC is, the players either have an attitude that they will do what is asked of them or they won't. If they won't then they are giving credence to a culture problem. If you think that being conflicted and deflated because a coach was terminated would cause a player to push back on the requirements from his next coach then you've answered your own question about culture and attitude of that type of player. The circumstances don't make the person, they reveal the person. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Even last year despite going 3-7, Arkansas was much more competitive in most games and lost 3-4 of them by single digits. Knew we had a massive upgrade from Morris but wasn't sure how we'd do this year after losing Franks. Not sure even most optimistic Hog fans would have predicted 9 wins. Pittman did a great job through the portal and convincing 20-something seniors to return for their COVID year. 

If he can keep both coordinators for a while that stability will go a long way toward finally getting the program in a good spot consistently post-Petrino.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Even last year despite going 3-7, Arkansas was much more competitive in most games and lost 3-4 of them by single digits. Knew we had a massive upgrade from Morris but wasn't sure how we'd do this year after losing Franks. Not sure even most optimistic Hog fans would have predicted 9 wins. Pittman did a great job through the portal and convincing 20-something seniors to return for their COVID year. 

If he can keep both coordinators for a while that stability will go a long way toward finally getting the program in a good spot consistently post-Petrino.

Great coach that is a perfect fit.  Congratulations on the season. I hope y'all continue to get better. 

On 1/1/2022 at 9:59 PM, Tigerbelle said:

Gus never had big discipline issues or kids in a lot of legal trouble. He had a good graduation rate. 

Two words: Duke Williams.

That said, it was not as bad as the Chiz years.